Rookie Discussion [19/20] [part I]

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Who are your top 3 bets for ROTY if Zion sits out season? (RESET)

Brandon Clarke
7%
PJ Washington
3%
Kendrick Nunn
17%
Ja Morant
40%
Darius Garland
1%
Coby White
3%
Rui Hachimura
3%
RJ Barrett
10%
De’Andre Hunter
2%
Tyler Herro
15%

Total votes: 405

FinNasty
Veteran
And1: 2,806

Re: Rookie Discussion [19/20] [part I] 

Post#1021 » by FinNasty » Fri Nov 8, 2019 11:12 am

Herro ripping his hero last night...

Read on Twitter
?s=21
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,203

Post#1022 » by ThunderBolt » Fri Nov 8, 2019 11:17 am

How is Brandon Clark and option and herro isn’t?
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
MemphisX
Analyst
And1: 3,579

Post#1023 » by MemphisX » Fri Nov 8, 2019 11:56 am

ThunderBolt wrote:How is Brandon Clark and option and herro isn’t?

The real question is why does Brandon Clarke only have 16 votes while his sons have 698. :crazy:
Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1024 » by ThunderBolt » Fri Nov 8, 2019 12:04 pm

MemphisX wrote:

The real question is why does Brandon Clarke only have 16 votes while his sons have 698. :crazy:

He’s not even the best Memphis rookie on his team.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
Buzzard
RealGM
And1: 7,522

Re: Rookie Discussion [POLL UPDATED TOP 3 - CAN CHANGE CHOICES AS GAMES ARE PLAYED] 

Post#1025 » by Buzzard » Fri Nov 8, 2019 1:17 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
Buzzard wrote:
Illmatic12 wrote:Not only is he not shooting enough open threes , he has a propensity for dribbling into contested shots that he shouldn't be taking.

Read on Twitter

Reddish needs to keep his game simple - shoot threes and attack closeouts with straight line drives. He isn't strong or athletic enough to do some of the stuff he's attempting. Even though I wasn't super high on him, I had no idea he would be struggling with basic concepts.

I am not worried about his strength as its only his rookie season. He has plenty of frame to put some muscle on. He does need to be the same player he was at Duke though; who took over 7 threes a game. I understand not wanting to hurt your team. If his coaching staff can live with them, he needs to live with them.

He needs to have one of those nights when 5 - 7 drop and the means will start justifying the end. He can work on his strength and dribble penetration in the off season.

All you're seeing from Cam right now is one of his "I dont really care" slumps, hes just doing it against far superior competition right now. Again we will see him have a hot game or 2, then he will be right back to this. This is just who Cam is, he was the same in high school. There were multiple moments when he was on the USA team being coached by Cal that Cal was visibly pissed at Cam for just not caring. The game where RJ made huge news for putting Canada on his back to beat USA, that was against Cam where he clearly just didnt care about the game and was god awful. This is Cam.

We will see. I think the Hawks are hoping for something in between the Cam who put up 15.28 points per game shooting .431 from three in November ( 7 Games/23.0 minutes a game ) and the Cam who put up 17.12 and .342 from three in February ( 8 Games/35.6 minutes a game ). That is his two best monthly shooting splits and a 15 game cherry picked sample from his regular season splits/schedule last year.

Inconsistent, not motivated, I have heard it as has every hard core basketball fan and GM/VP in the country as well. The Hawks have him for three solid years to see if he grows.
BAF Pacers: Unleash Trae!

PG Ice Trae
SG Buddy Hield/Luke Kennard/Brandin Podziemski
SF OG Anunoby/Terrence Ross/Kris Murray
PF Richaun Holmes/JaMychal Green/Chris Livingston
C KAT/Mark Williams
Dacost
Sixth Man
And1: 1,284

Post#1026 » by Dacost » Fri Nov 8, 2019 1:58 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
MemphisX wrote:

I don't get you hating on Brandon Clarke dude has been balling.

You probably saw the list and try to pick the weakness link without even watching him play.
Memgrizz0
Sophomore
And1: 251

Post#1027 » by Memgrizz0 » Fri Nov 8, 2019 2:01 pm

Dacost wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:
MemphisX wrote:

You probably saw the list and try to pick the weakness link without even watching him play.

No it’s cause his team picked B Clarke (leads all rookies in BPM btw) and traded him away for sorry ass Bazley :cry: :cry: :cry:
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1028 » by ThunderBolt » Fri Nov 8, 2019 2:16 pm

Memgrizz0 wrote:
Dacost wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:He’s not even the best Memphis rookie on his team.

No it’s cause his team picked B Clarke (leads all rookies in BPM btw) and traded him away for sorry ass Bazley :cry: :cry: :cry:

Or someone can’t handle the fact that everything about their team isn’t praised. Fyi, I voted for ja Morant but no unbiased person thinks Brandon Clarke will win rookie of the year. There’s a reason he’s near the bottom of this list. It doesn’t mean he’s not a nice player. If you’re going to post on the gb, don’t be so sensitive to criticism. Heck it wasn’t even criticism. It just wasn’t praise as being the best rookie this year.

As far as Bazley, get back to me in 2023 when Bazley will then be as old as Clarke is now. Speaking of people not watching games...
Whole Truth
Head Coach
And1: 3,687

Post#1029 » by Whole Truth » Fri Nov 8, 2019 4:12 pm

I agree Hero should be a part of the discussion but not with you disparaging Clarke's game to make that case.

Clarke is averaging 11.3 & 6 on 60% shooting in 20 mins, 22.8 per, where the best part of his game is his defense & intangibles.

Hero is averaging 13.9 & 5 on 43% shooting in 30 mins, 12.5 per. where the best part of his game is his 3pt shooting.

NBA Rookie ladder has Clarke sitting just out the top 5 with him averaging 12 & 8 over the last 3 games in 20 mins on 62% shooting.
GameTime_3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,051

Post#1030 » by GameTime_3 » Fri Nov 8, 2019 4:14 pm

Highlight of last night game for Herro wasn't his clutch shooting but the fact he called of Jimmy Butler so that he could defend Devin Booker in the 4th QT. Devin is elite but Herro did a very nice job of defending him.

[img]
Read on Twitter
/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1192684639019655168&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fforums.realgm.com%2Fboards%2Fviewtopic.php%3Ft%3D1904913%26start%3D640[/img]
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1031 » by ThunderBolt » Fri Nov 8, 2019 4:35 pm

Whole Truth wrote:

I agree Hero should be a part of the discussion but not with you disparaging Clarke's game to make that case.

Clarke is averaging 11.3 & 6 on 60% shooting in 20 mins, 22.8 per, where the best part of his game is his defense & intangibles.

Hero is averaging 13.9 & 5 on 43% shooting in 30 mins, 12.5 per. where the best part of his game is his 3pt shooting.

NBA Rookie ladder has Clarke sitting just out the top 5 with him averaging 12 & 8 over the last 3 games in 20 mins on 62% shooting.

There were no disparaging remarks made about Brandon Clark unless you consider it disparaging that he won’t be rookie of the year and that morant is better.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#1032 » by Whole Truth » Fri Nov 8, 2019 4:47 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:

There were no disparaging remarks made about Brandon Clark unless you consider it disparaging that he won’t be rookie of the year and that morant is better.

What's disparaging about your post is it's suggesting Hero has more right than Clarke to be on this list, when Clarke has been arguably better without being afforded the same opportunity/touches.

Why did you pick Clarke as an example when he has more votes than others on the list? Is it not because you think Hero is better than him?.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1033 » by ThunderBolt » Fri Nov 8, 2019 5:06 pm

Whole Truth wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:

What's disparaging about your post is it's suggesting Hero has more right than Clarke to be on this list, when Clarke has been arguably better without being afforded the same opportunity/touches.

Why did you pick Clarke as an example when he has more votes than others on the list? Is it not because you think Hero is better than him?.

Opinions are only disparaging when you have an emotional attachment to a player. Besides Culver, its pretty consistent that most don't think he has a great shot at the award either. Clark is 23 whereas most of the others are younger. Some will likely hit the rookie wall but I expect other to improve as the year goes on. Do you believe he has a realistic shot to win rookie of the year? Do you think he's better than Ja Morant?
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 20,085

Post#1034 » by blueNorange » Fri Nov 8, 2019 7:25 pm

not only does this draft have good players, but guys with good mind sets.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.
Dacost
Sixth Man
And1: 1,284

Post#1035 » by Dacost » Fri Nov 8, 2019 7:42 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:There were no disparaging remarks made about Brandon Clark unless you consider it disparaging that he won’t be rookie of the year and that morant is better.

Opinions are only disparaging when you have an emotional attachment to a player. Besides Culver, its pretty consistent that most don't think he has a great shot at the award either. Clark is 23 whereas most of the others are younger. Some will likely hit the rookie wall but I expect other to improve as the year goes on. Do you believe he has a realistic shot to win rookie of the year? Do you think he's better than Ja Morant?

1.What makes you say Clarke has no chance at ROY??everything is possible.

2.Your Ja argument is weird aswell is like saying Herro is not that good because Nunn is better.

3.Clarke is 23 Kendrick Nunn is about to be 25 does that even matter for ROY??

4.In my opinion if Ja stays healthy no-one has a shot at ROY anyways so that point is also useless not only for Clarke but for everyone.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1036 » by ThunderBolt » Fri Nov 8, 2019 8:16 pm

Dacost wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:

1.What makes you say Clarke has no chance at ROY??everything is possible.

2.Your Ja argument is weird aswell is like saying Herro is not that good because Nunn is better.

3.Clarke is 23 Kendrick Nunn is about to be 25 does that even matter for ROY??

4.In my opinion if Ja stays healthy no-one has a shot at ROY anyways so that point is also useless not only for Clarke but for everyone.

1- It's an opinion thread. I stated my opinion. I think others players are better and have higher ceilings.

2- The Ja argument isnt weird. A couple of posters that I presume to be Memphis fans got all upset about it and responded by saying that I was upset because the thunder traded clarke. I mentioned Ja to clarify that my opinion was nothing personal against Memphis as I had already voted for Ja. I'm also high on JJJ. I've also stated that I like Clark just fine but I don't think he'll win ROY. I assume the poll was added when the thread was created. Having the 20th pick in the draft as an option seemed a little odd to me.

3- Kendrick Nunn wont' win either.

4-I suspect you're probably right but for now the discussion is open.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#1037 » by Whole Truth » Fri Nov 8, 2019 8:41 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:There were no disparaging remarks made about Brandon Clark unless you consider it disparaging that he won’t be rookie of the year and that morant is better.

No it's not. With that statement, you're now insinuating that I have too high an opinion of Clarke based on an emotional attachment. You need to take my opinion out of the equation completely.

Disparaging, is expressing that something is of less worth & you're proving it with every post that you're here to knock Clarke down. If not, you're original post would have read like this. "Why is Hero not on the list?", no mention of Clarke. It's your opinion that he's better than Clarke where the raw numbers make that opinion debatable.

ROY has been won by a lot of players that haven't carved a career out of it. I care more so how the player turns out long term, which is why though I was following the topic, I didn't vote, till I saw your post. Guess who?.

Is age a factor, sure. Tell that to Nunn who's currently in the top 5.

To answer your question. Yes I do think Clarke has as good a chance as any & No I don't think he'll be better than Ja but if that is the criteria, why have a list?. Crown Ja.

I'm starting to think that Memphis poster hit the nerve stating OKC did not see this coming, some salt involved.

Here's my opinion, your team is going to regret not keeping Clarke.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1038 » by ThunderBolt » Fri Nov 8, 2019 8:50 pm

Spoiler:
Whole Truth wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:

No it's not. With that statement, you're now insinuating that I have too high an opinion of Clarke based on an emotional attachment. You need to take my opinion out of the equation completely.

Disparaging, is expressing that something is of less worth & you're proving it with every post that you're here to knock Clarke down. If not, you're original post would have read like this. "Why is Hero not on the list?", no mention of Clarke. It's your opinion that he's better than Clarke where the raw numbers make that opinion debatable.

ROY has been won by a lot of players that haven't carved a career out of it. I care more so how the player turns out long term, which is why though I was following the topic, I didn't vote, give an opinion, till I saw your post. Guess who?.

Is age a factor, sure. Tell that to Nunn who's currently in the top 5.

To answer your question. Yes I do think Clarke has as good a chance as any & No I don't think he'll be better than Ja but if that is the criteria, why have a list?. Crown Ja.

I'm starting to think that Memphis poster hit the nerve stating OKC did not see this coming in trading him to Memphis.

Here's my opinion, your team is going to regret not keeping Clarke.

Come on man. It's a poll predicting rookie of the year finalists. Of course I think he is of less worth than others. It doesn't mean its an insult This isn't a third grade track and field competition where everyone gets an "also-ran ribbon". I"ve said like ten times Clarke might be a fine player but I don't think he'll be a finalist in this year's ROY voting. Why can't you just accept that I don't think he'll be a finalist and get over it? He might be a great player. I've said that like 5 times. You're looking for an argument that just isn't there. I don't have to think everyone is equal. I loved Shai last year but he never stood a shot at rookie of the year with Luka, Young, Ayton and others.
VanWest82
RealGM
And1: 17,740

Post#1039 » by VanWest82 » Fri Nov 8, 2019 9:34 pm

I don't think Brandon Clarke has a chance to win ROY because he's playing behind JV and JJJ (whom I think he's already better than). He just won't get the opportunities.

That said, and this has nothing to do with ROY voting, Clarke might be the best rookie of this class right now. He impacts winning the most because he excels in his role. I don't agree that he won't noticeably improve because of his age either. He was overlooked and underdeveloped in his teenage years and has lots of room for improvement IMO. The fact he slipped so far in the draft is just further evidence that so many of the NBA GMs have no idea what they're doing. I look forward to re-visiting this topic in 3-4 years.
Roger Murdock
RealGM
And1: 4,657

Post#1040 » by Roger Murdock » Sat Nov 9, 2019 2:21 am

Clarke wont win ROY but he will make an all rookie team and maybe even Rookie 1st team which is an incredible accomplishment.

Return to The General Board