Rookie Discussion [19/20] [part I]

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Who are your top 3 bets for ROTY if Zion sits out season? (RESET)

Brandon Clarke
7%
PJ Washington
3%
Kendrick Nunn
17%
Ja Morant
40%
Darius Garland
1%
Coby White
3%
Rui Hachimura
3%
RJ Barrett
10%
De’Andre Hunter
2%
Tyler Herro
15%

Total votes: 405

brutalitops
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,119

Re: Rookie Discussion [19/20] [part I] 

Post#341 » by brutalitops » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:56 pm

Gonna say, I wasnt ready to write him off, But i wasnt 100% sure if Zion could translate to the NBA. You never know if it's a case of developed body dominating teenagers and may struggle to find what exactly what he's good at in the NBA

Eating my words, He knowswhere to go, ho to use his body, may get a reality check in being defended in the low post but very good signs
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,047

Post#342 » by The_Hater » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:58 pm

clyde21 wrote:i'll do 1st and 2nd team predictions

1st team
G Morant
G Herro
F Barrett
F Zion
F Hunter

2nd team
G Garland
G NAW
F Rui
F Clarke
C Gafford

I don’t think NAW will get the minutes with all the guard depth on his team, even though he probably will be a top 10 rookie out of the gate.

1st team

G Morant
G Culver
F Zion
F Rui (I don’t like him but he’ll play a ton)
F Barrett

2nd team

G Garland
G Herro
F Hunter
F Thybuile
F Clarke

Just missed: PJ Washington. Ty Jerome.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Buzzard
RealGM
And1: 7,522

Post#343 » by Buzzard » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:03 pm

Roddy B for 3 wrote:
Buzzard wrote:
Roddy B for 3 wrote:
Is Collins more Al Jefferson or Amar'e Stoudamire?

If either were correct, I would say that is an outstanding 19th pick in the draft. What say you? Getting either of those at 19, bad pick or one of the steals of the draft. I think Collins is a steal myself. The Hawks and their GM made the most of that pick. By most fans standards, that is making lemonade out of lemons. Maybe you expect more. I think its unrealistic but there is always hope for the hopeless FO's in the league.

As a friend of mine use to say, even a blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes.

The simplest way to ask this is as such:

What past or current player do you think John Collins compares most to?

This is the rookie thread. Why don't you start your own poll instead of badgering people who are ignoring your queries about a 3rd year player here. I think you got your panties in a wad over the Mav's performance last night so a little Hawks trolling seemed more interesting to you.
BAF Pacers: Unleash Trae!

PG Ice Trae
SG Buddy Hield/Luke Kennard/Brandin Podziemski
SF OG Anunoby/Terrence Ross/Kris Murray
PF Richaun Holmes/JaMychal Green/Chris Livingston
C KAT/Mark Williams
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,239

Post#344 » by UcanUwill » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:30 pm

manlisten wrote:Am I the only one who doesn't really care for the Hawks? I think even if everyone fulfills their potential they will ultimately be.. the Hawks. Feel-good regular season team and perennial 2nd round exit. I'm not too high on any of their prospects aside from Hunter and Bembry. I really don't like bigs that can't defend and Collins is very much Amare with a 3 ball instead of a midrange game. As a group they're a poor man's SSOL Suns.

Hawks is nothing speciall, Dallas and Pelicans have potential to win tittles, Hawks I think have no chance to sniff that level.
Buzzard
RealGM

Post#345 » by Buzzard » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:36 pm

manlisten wrote:Am I the only one who doesn't really care for the Hawks? I think even if everyone fulfills their potential they will ultimately be.. the Hawks. Feel-good regular season team and perennial 2nd round exit. I'm not too high on any of their prospects aside from Hunter and Bembry. I really don't like bigs that can't defend and Collins is very much Amare with a 3 ball instead of a midrange game. As a group they're a poor man's SSOL Suns.

You are not the only one but you are in a minority. I think the Hawks, with the three rookies they just added. are at least two - three years away from being called what they are. Hunter looks NBA ready. Reddish and Bruno have shown flashes in just two preseason games but they are not ready to be consistent on a nightly basis.

Reddish has to fight for time with Huerter, Hunter, and a few vets but he should be getting some decent minutes in spurts. I think Bruno will beat out Jones for the #2 big spot sooner than later; but he will find it tough going beating out Alex Len in just his 1st season.

There is a reason those two dropped to 10 and 34 and calling them what they are already is premature in my opinion.

PG Ice Trae
C KAT/Mark Williams
manlisten
Junior
And1: 311

Post#346 » by manlisten » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:01 pm

Buzzard wrote:

You are not the only one but you are in a minority. I think the Hawks, with the three rookies they just added. are at least two - three years away from being called what they are. Hunter looks NBA ready. Reddish and Bruno have shown flashes in just two preseason games but they are not ready to be consistent on a nightly basis.

Reddish has to fight for time with Huerter, Hunter, and a few vets but he should be getting some decent minutes in spurts. I think Bruno will beat out Jones for the #2 big spot sooner than later; but he will find it tough going beating out Alex Len in just his 1st season.

There is a reason those two dropped to 10 and 34 and calling them what they are already is premature in my opinion.

The majority thinks they have a championship ceiling? I have seen a lot of comparisons to the Warriors, which is laughable.
NYKHardKnock
Head Coach
And1: 4,950

Post#347 » by NYKHardKnock » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:06 pm

Zion does an amazing job at maintaining his balance when he’s making his crazy layups, his legs are always parallel. He’s just a freak athlete man. He obviously needs to get a shot just so he doesn’t wear out his joints over time
Buzzard
RealGM

Post#348 » by Buzzard » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:32 pm

manlisten wrote:
Buzzard wrote:

The majority thinks they have a championship ceiling? I have seen a lot of comparisons to the Warriors, which is laughable.

I think the Suns with Nash is closer but we are talking about a very young team. If the Suns had not screwed up their relationship with Joe Johnson, they were serious contenders in my opinion. There is a lot of growing up to do for this team and who is to say they do not make a trade or sign a free agent in the future.

This is the rookie thread so back to that. Two preseason games in the books for the Hawks.

Hunter is averaging 11.5, 3.5, in 24.8 minutes with a 63.9 TS%
Reddish is averaging 7.5, 1.5, in 14.7 minutes a game. 50.4 TS%
Bruno is averaging 4.0, 4.0, and 1.5 blocks in 14.0 minutes a game. 82.0 TS%

Nothing earth shattering but so far so good with a long long ways to go.

PG Ice Trae
C KAT/Mark Williams
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,615

Post#349 » by kg01 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:49 pm

manlisten wrote:The majority thinks they have a championship ceiling? I have seen a lot of comparisons to the Warriors, which is laughable.

Only people comparing them to the Warriors are folks trolling.
king01 :king:
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#350 » by Marcus » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:14 pm

brutalitops wrote:Gonna say, I wasnt ready to write him off, But i wasnt 100% sure if Zion could translate to the NBA. You never know if it's a case of developed body dominating teenagers and may struggle to find what exactly what he's good at in the NBA

Eating my words, He knowswhere to go, ho to use his body, may get a reality check in being defended in the low post but very good signs

anybody who took the time to watch that kid and see how he got what he got on the floor could tell you he wasn't a big body dominating kids. You'd have a valid case with his high school footage but watching any Duke film would be eye opening to how nimble and agile the kid is. Yes he's massive but he snakes and hops around defenders rather than plow through them. I'm still of the belief that the kid doesn't even know he's bigger than everyone else and could have size advantages if he wanted to. Once he trims the fat and gets some basics in him he's gonna be ridiculously scary and something you can't gameplan for.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,314

Post#351 » by Duke4life831 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:23 pm

Marcus wrote:
brutalitops wrote:Gonna say, I wasnt ready to write him off, But i wasnt 100% sure if Zion could translate to the NBA. You never know if it's a case of developed body dominating teenagers and may struggle to find what exactly what he's good at in the NBA

anybody who took the time to watch that kid and see how he got what he got on the floor could tell you he wasn't a big body dominating kids. You'd have a valid case with his high school footage but watching any Duke film would be eye opening to how nimble and agile the kid is. Yes he's massive but he snakes and hops around defenders rather than plow through them. I'm still of the belief that the kid doesn't even know he's bigger than everyone else and could have size advantages if he wanted to. Once he trims the fat and gets some basics in him he's gonna be ridiculously scary and something you can't gameplan for.

Also my favorite part about him and something you really can't say for the majority of stars. The dude can dominate the game without dominating the ball. I still think in time you want him to become a Point Forward kind of player. But right now, he can adjust to the game playing off ball but still making a huge splash.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,805

Post#352 » by BlazersBroncos » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:32 pm

NAW looks so much like SGA, its odd especially taking the abbreviated last name similarity into account lol. He is going to be a really good player. His shot is a bit slow to release though. And that base on those 3PT shots, looks like he comes down with his feet planted outside his shoulders. If it works, it works tho.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#353 » by Marcus » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:38 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
Marcus wrote:

Also my favorite part about him and something you really can't say for the majority of stars. The dude can dominate the game without dominating the ball. I still think in time you want him to become a Point Forward kind of player. But right now, he can adjust to the game playing off ball but still making a huge splash.

which is why im adamant and will continue to be adamant about his development, ZERO responsibilities need to be handed to this kid until Pandora's box has been completely opened. He will still be ridiculously effective. He's gonna do something ridiculous numbers and efficiency wise one season, go away in the off-season and come back light years different than what he was the previous year.
Watch More Basketball

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#354 » by Duke4life831 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:41 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:NAW looks so much like SGA, its odd especially taking the abbreviated last name similarity into account lol. He is going to be a really good player. His shot is a bit slow to release though. And that base on those 3PT shots, looks like he comes down with his feet planted outside his shoulders. If it works, it works tho.

Cousins as well.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#355 » by Duke4life831 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:43 pm

Marcus wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
Marcus wrote:

which is why im adamant and will continue to be adamant about his development, ZERO responsibilities need to be handed to this kid until Pandora's box has been completely opened. He will still be ridiculously effective. He's gonna do something ridiculous numbers and efficiency wise one season, go away in the off-season and come back light years different than what he was the previous year.

Yup. The AD approach and what looks like the same approach the Kings are taking with Bagley as well. AD was just a 13 ppg guy as a rookie. But Zion's IQ and awareness is far ahead of those two guys on the offensive end at the same age.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,125

Post#356 » by clyde21 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:00 pm

The_Hater wrote:

1st team
G Morant
G Herro
F Barrett
F Zion
F Hunter

2nd team
G Garland
G NAW
F Rui
F Clarke
C Gafford

I don’t think NAW will get the minutes with all the guard depth on his team, even though he probably will be a top 10 rookie out of the gate.

1st team

G Morant
G Culver
F Zion
F Barrett

2nd team

G Garland
G Herro
F Hunter
F Thybuile
F Clarke

forgot about Thybulle last night tbh, I can sneak him in there too, but it's also a question for minutes with him...i think eventually the Pels are gonna need to play NAW for the 3pt shooting but yea it's not a sure thing he'll get enough minutes to be on those teams

Culver is a good call too but I need to see more of what his role is gonna be the new few Minny games.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#357 » by clyde21 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:02 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:NAW looks so much like SGA, its odd especially taking the abbreviated last name similarity into account lol. He is going to be a really good player. His shot is a bit slow to release though. And that base on those 3PT shots, looks like he comes down with his feet planted outside his shoulders. If it works, it works tho.

they are first cousins
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#358 » by Marcus » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:19 pm

clyde21 wrote:
The_Hater wrote:

1st team
G Morant
G Herro
F Barrett
F Zion
F Hunter

2nd team
G Garland
G NAW
F Rui
F Clarke
C Gafford

1st team

G Morant
G Culver
F Zion
F Barrett

2nd team

G Garland
G Herro
F Hunter
F Thybuile
F Clarke

forgot about Thybulle last night tbh, I can sneak him in there too, but it's also a question for minutes with him...i think eventually the Pels are gonna need to play NAW for the 3pt shooting but yea it's not a sure thing he'll get enough minutes to be on those teams

Culver is a good call too but I need to see more of what his role is gonna be the new few Minny games.

I put my guy onto Herro yesterday and he immediately said CJ McCollum. You see any of that in there?
Watch More Basketball

clyde21
RealGM

Post#359 » by clyde21 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:24 pm

Marcus wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
The_Hater wrote:

1st team

G Morant
G Culver
F Zion
F Barrett

2nd team

G Garland
G Herro
F Hunter
F Thybuile
F Clarke

I put my guy onto Herro yesterday and he immediately said CJ McCollum. You see any of that in there?

i can see that, not quite as shifty as CJ but stronger, I think a better facilitator potentially.
rate_
Analyst
And1: 8,181

Post#360 » by rate_ » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:00 pm

Herro already has better court vision/playmaking skills while being just as shifty and a marksman. Herro is also a better defender

Return to The General Board