Rookie Discussion [19/20] [part I]

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Who are your top 3 bets for ROTY if Zion sits out season? (RESET)

Brandon Clarke
7%
PJ Washington
3%
Kendrick Nunn
17%
Ja Morant
40%
Darius Garland
1%
Coby White
3%
Rui Hachimura
3%
RJ Barrett
10%
De’Andre Hunter
2%
Tyler Herro
15%

Total votes: 405

TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Re: Rookie Discussion [19/20] [part I] 

Post#481 » by TheNewEra » Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:55 pm

Mr Puddles wrote:
PockyCandy wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
Will be better than seeing strange arguments about Trae vs Luka repeatedly.

Y'all are a lot more optimistic than I am. If RJ Barrett is scoring 20 ppg or Ja Morant is going for 14-5-5, then I have a bad feeling about how this thread is going to turn out.

As well as Michael Porter Jr scoring double digits on a stacked Nuggets team so we can rehash the 'Is Ben Simmons really a rookie' debate.

In hindsight the Clips really really really should of taken MPJ. Going into year 2 of Jerome Robinson and it’s not even a given he’s going to get rotation minutes and at worse that could of been MPJ rehab time.

Beverly/Williams
George/Shamet
Leonard/Harkless
Green/Porter Jr
Zubac/Harrell

Team would of been nasty.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,277

Post#482 » by babyjax13 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:00 pm

New Orleans might have two of the five top rookies so far. NAW is impressive. I had high hopes for him, thought he was underdrafted and had outplayed other lottery wings ... but he has (so far) exceeded my expectations.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,766

Post#483 » by HotelVitale » Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:10 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
Mr Puddles wrote:As well as Michael Porter Jr scoring double digits on a stacked Nuggets team so we can rehash the 'Is Ben Simmons really a rookie' debate.
If Porter Jr ever lives up to that #1 or even top 5 ranking in that class he had before that season....the Nuggets are going to be crazy good.

Not hating on Porter (still like him as a prospect) but I feel like it's not great to start with his or anyone else's NBA potential by their HS rating. A lot of top HS guys end up being nothing special in the NCAA (your Shabazz Muhammads and Cliff Alexanders and Trevon Duvals) and had only stood out among 16 year olds before others matured; and Porter already showed that he wasn't able to impose his will in the NCAA and needed his skills to be top notch for him to succeed. (He was bad in college, though injured). He's not like many top guys who are so big, strong, quick, etc that they just need to develop okay to be pretty good--he's skinny, has average NBA athleticism, and solid height/length but nothing special, and based on that stuff alone he was far from a top pick.

The main reason why I'm skeptical now is that the #1 reason top HS prospects don't make that leap because the gap between the skills the NBA requires you to execute every night and what you can get away with in HS games is massive; we usually get a year in the NCAA to help us guess how real those things are (that's how Nassir Little goes from top-3 to end of the 1st rd, and Cam Reddish goes from #1 overall to shaky lotto pick); tons and tons of players just aren't able to make that skill leap, and a player with medium-good abilities needs them to be good in the NBA. I think Porter can shoot and cut just fine, but he's going to need be awesome at those things to be good in the NBA. If he's just average at them (which is really hard to be) then he's an okay offensive player who doesn't bring much in other areas. And that's all dependent on him staying healthy too!
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,368

Post#484 » by bwgood77 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:22 pm

HotelVitale wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
Mr Puddles wrote:As well as Michael Porter Jr scoring double digits on a stacked Nuggets team so we can rehash the 'Is Ben Simmons really a rookie' debate.
If Porter Jr ever lives up to that #1 or even top 5 ranking in that class he had before that season....the Nuggets are going to be crazy good.

Not hating on Porter (still like him as a prospect) but I feel like it's not great to start with his or anyone else's NBA potential by their HS rating. A lot of top HS guys end up being nothing special in the NCAA (your Shabazz Muhammads and Cliff Alexanders and Trevon Duvals) and had only stood out among 16 year olds before others matured; and Porter already showed that he wasn't able to impose his will in the NCAA and needed his skills to be top notch for him to succeed. (He was bad in college, though injured). He's not like many top guys who are so big, strong, quick, etc that they just need to develop okay to be pretty good--he's skinny, has average NBA athleticism, and solid height/length but nothing special, and based on that stuff alone he was far from a top pick.

The main reason why I'm skeptical now is that the #1 reason top HS prospects don't make that leap because the gap between the skills the NBA requires you to execute every night and what you can get away with in HS games is massive; we usually get a year in the NCAA to help us guess how real those things are (that's how Nassir Little goes from top-3 to end of the 1st rd, and Cam Reddish goes from #1 overall to shaky lotto pick); tons and tons of players just aren't able to make that skill leap, and a player with medium-good abilities needs them to be good in the NBA. I think Porter can shoot and cut just fine, but he's going to need be awesome at those things to be good in the NBA. If he's just average at them (which is really hard to be) then he's an okay offensive player who doesn't bring much in other areas. And that's all dependent on him staying healthy too!

What about early #1 prospect Skal Labissiere? Or Nerlens Noel? I agree to some extent. I just mentioned him because it was a good role of the dice for Denver given their depth. I think after the injury him living up to that is a long shot, but I think there is a chance he becomes as solid player, particularly since he went to a good team that develops players well and they are taking their time with him and likely won't give up him quickly.
shakes0
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,954

Post#485 » by shakes0 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:27 pm

well apparently the Memphis Grizzlies do still exist and will actually play their first NBA pre-season game tonight! And it's on NBATV. So excited to finally see Ja vs an NBA team, albeit barely an NBA team since its Charlotte.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,184

Post#486 » by clyde21 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:41 pm

shakes0 wrote:well apparently the Memphis Grizzlies do still exist and will actually play their first NBA pre-season game tonight! And it's on NBATV. So excited to finally see Ja vs an NBA team, albeit barely an NBA team since its Charlotte.

i think this is their 3rd preseason game, but 1st against NBA teams.
shakes0
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,954

Post#487 » by shakes0 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:52 pm

clyde21 wrote:
shakes0 wrote:well apparently the Memphis Grizzlies do still exist and will actually play their first NBA pre-season game tonight! And it's on NBATV. So excited to finally see Ja vs an NBA team, albeit barely an NBA team since its Charlotte.

i think this is their 3rd preseason game, but 1st against NBA teams.

yep, hence my post.
kulaz3000
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 23,812

Post#488 » by kulaz3000 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:49 pm

As a Bulls fan, I think Coby needs a little more love.

I was happy with the pick, but I was concerned that his strengths in college wouldn't translate, namely his atheltic ability and speed. Not only has he shown that his end to end speed most definitely translate, but so has his scoring mentality and fearlessness in taking and making difficult shots.

That said, he has a long ways to go to be a lead guard, but considering that he has never been a pure point guard through his short career, I'm not too concerned because he is still very young. But what he looks to be able to bring immediately is instant impact off the bench, ala a former Bulls guard Ben Gordon. He pushes the pace, moves to the open area and takes shots without a second thought.

I'd be surprised if he doesn't end his rookie season in double digits in limited minutes.
Why so serious?
iamoti
Rookie
And1: 2,280

Post#489 » by iamoti » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:52 pm

Tyler Herro 14 points in 5 min 5/5 (4/4 from 3)
rate_
Analyst
And1: 8,197

Post#490 » by rate_ » Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:02 am

iamoti wrote:Tyler Herro 14 points in 5 min 5/5 (4/4 from 3)

It’s just preseason!!!
LewisnotMiller
Analyst
And1: 3,232

Post#491 » by LewisnotMiller » Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:22 am

kulaz3000 wrote:As a Bulls fan, I think Coby needs a little more love.

I was happy with the pick, but I was concerned that his strengths in college wouldn't translate, namely his atheltic ability and speed. Not only has he shown that his end to end speed most definitely translate, but so has his scoring mentality and fearlessness in taking and making difficult shots.

That said, he has a long ways to go to be a lead guard, but considering that he has never been a pure point guard through his short career, I'm not too concerned because he is still very young. But what he looks to be able to bring immediately is instant impact off the bench, ala a form guard Ben Gordon. He pushes the pace, moves to the open area and takes shots without a second thought.

I'd be surprised if he doesn't end his rookie season in double digits in limited minutes.

His length also allows the Bulls to use him combo with a lead guard (for some of his minutes at least) so he can narrow his focus a bit. He's a nice fit, imho.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#492 » by clyde21 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:25 am

White Drip is ridiculous
rate_
Analyst
And1: 8,197

Post#493 » by rate_ » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:16 am

Get used to it
BoogieTime
Head Coach
And1: 2,772

Post#494 » by BoogieTime » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:17 am

Warriors reign is done
MemphisX
Analyst
And1: 3,577

Post#495 » by MemphisX » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:30 am

Can I say that I am already in love with Ja?

Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g
clyde21
RealGM

Post#496 » by clyde21 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:50 am

Brandon Clarke double-doubled vs. the Hornets on Monday, finishing with 16 points, 12 rebounds, three assists, two steals and one block in just 20 minutes.

The guy is just a stat stuffer. He's also the second best rebounder on the team behind Jonas Valanciunas, so that makes him a good fit next to Jaren Jackson Jr. (JJJ is not a plus rebounder). The Grizzlies have insisted that J-Val will likely be ready for the opener, but Clarke has proven that he's ready for a big role. Whether that's the first big off the bench or the starter next to JJJ remains to be seen, but his stock is on the rise as one of our favorite late-round targets.
Spacely
Analyst
And1: 6,155

Post#497 » by Spacely » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:26 am

Analysts saying this was a 3 man draft hold this L
kulaz3000
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 23,812

Post#498 » by kulaz3000 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:09 am

Spacely wrote:Analysts saying this was a 3 man draft hold this L

I'm going to hold out on how the rookies perform in the regular season before coming to any sort of conclusion.

You're not wrong though, there seems to be a lot of instant contributors in this class, but again, the regular season is a different beast to preseason.
Why so serious?
clyde21
RealGM

Post#499 » by clyde21 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:10 am

Tyler Herro made his presence felt in the starting lineup of Monday's preseason action vs. Atlanta, scoring 23 points (9-of-14 FGs) with five rebounds, two dimes, one steal and five triples in 25 minutes.

Since he was drafted, the Heat have said that Herro will have all the opportunity in the world as long as he earns it. Well, he's done that and more. Herro hit his first five shots and scored the first 14 points of the game, and he saw extended time next to Jimmy Butler. At the very least he has carved out a huge role off the bench, but it might be hard to keep him out of the starting lineup on opening night at this rate. If you want him in a competitive category league, you're going to have be aggressive after the top-100.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#500 » by clyde21 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:17 am

Read on Twitter

Return to The General Board