Rookie Discussion [19/20] [part I]

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Who are your top 3 bets for ROTY if Zion sits out season? (RESET)

Brandon Clarke
7%
PJ Washington
3%
Kendrick Nunn
17%
Ja Morant
40%
Darius Garland
1%
Coby White
3%
Rui Hachimura
3%
RJ Barrett
10%
De’Andre Hunter
2%
Tyler Herro
15%

Total votes: 405

Mamba Mentality
RealGM
And1: 19,536

Re: Rookie Discussion [19/20] [part I], the Isaiah Roby era begins 

Post#61 » by Mamba Mentality » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:19 pm

Lukeem wrote:If knicks could land Jimmy Butler and another high end role player (preferably a big/ pg)

Could see them making some noise and RJ winning ROY

Robinson/ Dedmon
Ja Green/ Dedmon/ Knox
Butler/ Barrett/ Knox
Barret/ Butler/ Trier
Cory Joseph/ DSJ/ Frank

Signing Butler, Cory Joseph, Jamychel Green and Dwayne Dedmon is attainable

so the knicks wasted a lottery pick on Knox so he could warm the bench?
Lukeem
Analyst
And1: 2,577

Post#62 » by Lukeem » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:36 pm

The Regime wrote:
Lukeem wrote:If knicks could land Jimmy Butler and another high end role player (preferably a big/ pg)

Robinson/ Dedmon
Ja Green/ Dedmon/ Knox
Butler/ Barrett/ Knox
Barret/ Butler/ Trier
Cory Joseph/ DSJ/ Frank

Did just question the knicks wasting a lottery pick ? He’d be the back up 3 and could start 4 in that one random scenario though. Green more of a role player though
duppyy
RealGM
And1: 13,133

Post#63 » by duppyy » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:58 pm

Who will get the bigger overreaction if they don't play well on friday. Zion or Barrett?
DiogoLandim
Sophomore
And1: 179

Post#64 » by DiogoLandim » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:03 pm

Barret, Morant and Garland are high usage guys. My guess is that Zion will dominate advanced stats, but one or two of these guys will have better raw stats, specially since their team will likely lack any sources to generate offense.
nikster
RealGM
And1: 11,833

Post#65 » by nikster » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:44 pm

duppyy wrote:Who will get the bigger overreaction if they don't play well on friday. Zion or Barrett?

Hard to say, Zions hyped more but people think RJ is flawed so could go either way
Fat
RealGM
And1: 23,751

Post#66 » by Fat » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:13 am

duppyy wrote:Who will get the bigger overreaction if they don't play well on friday. Zion or Barrett?

the #1 pick
Miami Heat Baf

Markelle Fultz
Donovan Mitchell
Gary Trent Jr
Al Horford
Steven Adams
Chanel Bomber
RealGM
And1: 37,517

Post#67 » by Chanel Bomber » Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:02 am

The Regime wrote:

Robinson/ Dedmon
Ja Green/ Dedmon/ Knox
Butler/ Barrett/ Knox
Barret/ Butler/ Trier
Cory Joseph/ DSJ/ Frank

Knox was one of the worst players in the NBA last season. He wouldn’t see a lot of playing time on a team that’s trying to compete, which they would be if the Knicks signed Butler (referring to the scenario above). He’s a back-up PF/SF at best right now.
Buzzard
RealGM
And1: 7,522

Post#68 » by Buzzard » Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:04 am

Zion already has the transcendent label. Just like with Luka, I think it is his to lose.

I think this class may be just as impactful as last years. That is high expectations, but the minutes are there for a lot of rookies to make a splash. I think the Hawks will possibly have two players on the all rookie team again; just like with Trae and Huerter. Its going to be another fun season!
BAF Pacers: Unleash Trae!

PG Ice Trae
SG Buddy Hield/Luke Kennard/Brandin Podziemski
SF OG Anunoby/Terrence Ross/Kris Murray
PF Richaun Holmes/JaMychal Green/Chris Livingston
C KAT/Mark Williams
Johnny Firpo
RealGM
And1: 8,687

Post#69 » by Johnny Firpo » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:11 am

What's up with the title? :D Any chance Isaiah Roby could be a rotation player? I haven't seen him play at all.
Stribor
Pro Prospect
And1: 492

Post#70 » by Stribor » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:54 am

Zion is one in a decade. Only worry is if his body will be able to sustain his speed and weight without serious injuries. Other than that he is a sure shot as sure shot can be sure ... as shots... right :)
TheGreenArrow
RealGM
And1: 33,258

Re: ROTY thread 

Post#71 » by TheGreenArrow » Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:24 pm

New_Hawks_Era wrote:Zion cause I just believe he's a transcendent type talent. But Cam Reddish will be actually healthy and show Duke fans what could've been if he were. He would have been taken before Barret after this upcoming season results, imo.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
NewYorkOrNoWhere!!!!!!!!!!!!
Buzzard
RealGM

Post#72 » by Buzzard » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:38 pm

TheGreenArrow wrote:
New_Hawks_Era wrote:Zion cause I just believe he's a transcendent type talent. But Cam Reddish will be actually healthy and show Duke fans what could've been if he were. He would have been taken before Barret after this upcoming season results, imo.

Laugh all you want but these two stats should give some concern for Barrett over Reddish:

Barrett FT% .665, 3PT% .308
Reddish FT% .772, 3PT% .333

Barrett was hands down the best finisher; but if he cannot make a uncontested 12ft. shot there should be at least a little concern for his shooting ability....

PG Ice Trae
C KAT/Mark Williams
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,609

Post#73 » by Duke4life831 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:12 pm

Buzzard wrote:
TheGreenArrow wrote:

Laugh all you want but these two stats should give some concern for Barrett over Reddish:

Barrett was hands down the best finisher; but if he cannot make a uncontested 12ft. shot there should be at least a little concern for his shooting ability....

Don't get me wrong when I say this, Im a Cam fan and Im hoping the dude kills it in the NBA. At one point before all of them picked what schools they were going to, Cam was the #1 recruit for a bit and I agreed with that ranking.

With that said, if you are betting on Cam's inconsistencies being because he was dealing with injuries and without that he would've gone
#2, you don't know Cam then. There was a reason Cam was #1 for a bit then fell. It was just Cam being Cam. Cam in high school was known for his unbelievably inconsistent play. In high school one week he would look like the #1 recruit, the next he wouldnt even look like a 4 star recruit. That is pretty much the Cam we saw at Duke. We would see a flash of Cam looking elite, then we would get 5-6 games where Cam didn't even look like a NBA prospect.

The thing that didnt prevent Cam from being a star at Duke wasn't an injury, his role (he actually had the best situation out of the 3 Duke stars) or any other thing like that. It was all in-between the ears. This was Cam's biggest question mark going into Duke and its still his biggest question mark today and why he dropped to 10th.
Buzzard
RealGM

Post#74 » by Buzzard » Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:23 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
Buzzard wrote:
TheGreenArrow wrote:

Don't get me wrong when I say this, Im a Cam fan and Im hoping the dude kills it in the NBA. At one point before all of them picked what schools they were going to, Cam was the #1 recruit for a bit and I agreed with that ranking.

With that said, if you are betting on Cam's inconsistencies being because he was dealing with injuries and without that he would've gone
#2, you don't know Cam then. There was a reason Cam was #1 for a bit then fell. It was just Cam being Cam. Cam in high school was known for his unbelievably inconsistent play. In high school one week he would look like the #1 recruit, the next he wouldnt even look like a 4 star recruit. That is pretty much the Cam we saw at Duke. We would see a flash of Cam looking elite, then we would get 5-6 games where Cam didn't even look like a NBA prospect.

The thing that didnt prevent Cam from being a star at Duke wasn't an injury, his role (he actually had the best situation out of the 3 Duke stars) or any other thing like that. It was all in-between the ears. This was Cam's biggest question mark going into Duke and its still his biggest question mark today and why he dropped to 10th.

I am looking at Cam's High School games logs for 2017/18 and the closest he came to disappearing was 15 points and 19 points. He did miss two games with zero minutes played but I don't agree that he had a problem as a High School Senior at all.

Link:
https://www.prepcircuit.com/roster_players/21934826

PG Ice Trae
C KAT/Mark Williams
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#75 » by Duke4life831 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:34 pm

Buzzard wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
Buzzard wrote:Laugh all you want but these two stats should give some concern for Barrett over Reddish:

I am looking at Cam's High School games logs for 2017/18 and the closest he came to disappearing was 15 points and 19 points. He did miss two games but I don't agree that he had a problem as a High School Senior at all.

Link:

Sure, but you are looking at like 1/3 or 1/4 of what recruits look at when it comes to high school players. When Im talking about him as a high school player Im talking about all of it, like his horrible showing in the EYBL (40/28/76 shooting splits), his complete disappearance act for the USA team against Canada (the game RJ took over and won). Again Cam's biggest question marks exiting high school had nothing to do with his ability, almost everyone who watched him agreed he had top 3 ability in the class. It was always his motor and consistency. You can go back to the Draft threads and see all of us talking about this with Cam way before the Duke season ever started.
Buzzard
RealGM

Post#76 » by Buzzard » Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:45 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
Buzzard wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

I am looking at Cam's High School games logs for 2017/18 and the closest he came to disappearing was 15 points and 19 points. He did miss two games but I don't agree that he had a problem as a High School Senior at all.

Link:

Sure, but you are looking at like 1/3 or 1/4 of what recruits look at when it comes to high school players. When Im talking about him as a high school player Im talking about all of it, like his horrible showing in the EYBL (40/28/76 shooting splits), his complete disappearance act for the USA team against Canada (the game RJ took over and won). Again Cam's biggest question marks exiting high school had nothing to do with his ability, almost everyone who watched him agreed he had top 3 ability in the class. It was always his motor and consistency. You can go back to the Draft threads and see all of us talking about this with Cam way before the Duke season ever started.

If he was judged the way you say and his high school games really only counted for 1/3 of his ranking. I doubt he would have been ranked as a top five recruit. Maybe a top 20 at best. But that is my take and we just have to agree to disagree on this.

I know a lot is put into the Nike games but there have been more than a fair share of hyped up bust go through them. Nike certainly loves marketing them.

PG Ice Trae
C KAT/Mark Williams
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,196

Post#77 » by clyde21 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:53 pm

Buzzard wrote:
TheGreenArrow wrote:

"let me use literally the only 2 stats that favor Cam over RJ to prove my point!"
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#78 » by Duke4life831 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:57 pm

Buzzard wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
Buzzard wrote:I am looking at Cam's High School games logs for 2017/18 and the closest he came to disappearing was 15 points and 19 points. He did miss two games but I don't agree that he had a problem as a High School Senior at all.

Link:

If he was judged the way you say and his high school games really only counted for 1/3 of his ranking. I doubt he would have been ranked as a top five recruit. Maybe a top 20 at best. But that is my take and we just have to agree to disagree on this.

I know a lot is put into the Nike games but there have been more than a fair share of hyped up bust go through them. Nike certainly loves marketing them.

This part isn't an if though, this is the reality of it. Normal high school basketball games aren't the main focus for recruiting. The primary focus for recruiting and judging recruits come during events like EYBL, Peach Jam, Adidas Gauntlet, All star game practice week (not the game), other big time AAU events, and international playa and practice. If their normal high school games were the main thing, guys like Semi Ojeleye would've been top 5 recruits. Don't get me wrong, when a guy plays for a big time school and play against other big time schools helps. But the vast majority of judging these guys comes at events when they play against other top tier prospects. The vast majority of normal high school games quality varies way too much.

And Cam was viewed as highly as he was because yes he had dominant performances in high school games, but on top of that he usually always showed out during practice weeks and his flashes of potential always showed, he still had good games in AAU events, he had good games with the US team. But again the inconsistencies always showed as well.
Buzzard
RealGM

Post#79 » by Buzzard » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:03 pm

clyde21 wrote:
Buzzard wrote:
TheGreenArrow wrote:

"let me use literally the only 2 stats that favor Cam over RJ to prove my point!"

Having a concern is just that. If you want it to be proof of something that is on your overly sensitive and defensive mentality. It probably comes with the territory of being a Knicks fan. So far so good; now us poor Knick fans just wait on it to blow up in our face. Examples, Alan Houston's death contract, Melo, and the Unicorn....

PG Ice Trae
C KAT/Mark Williams
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,196

Post#80 » by clyde21 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:10 pm

Buzzard wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
Buzzard wrote:Laugh all you want but these two stats should give some concern for Barrett over Reddish:

Having a concern is just that. If you want it to be proof of something that is on your overly sensitive and defensive mentality. It probably comes with the territory of being a Knicks fan. So far so good; now us poor Knick fans just wait on it to blow up in our face. Examples, Alan Houston's death contract, Melo, and the Unicorn....

i'm not a Knicks fan.

Return to The General Board