Bobby Marks says Warriors will miss the playoffs

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

dk1115
Sixth Man
And1: 927

Re: Bobby Marks says Warriors will miss the playoffs 

Post#201 » by dk1115 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:24 am

Draymond will probably be back scoring 14 a game. Alfonzo will probably be really close to 10. Kevon is probably gonna put in 8/8. Should still be around a 50 win team.
Rastas
Starter
And1: 1,174

Post#202 » by Rastas » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:36 am

With the extra workload needed early I would say it's a better than 50% chance Curry goes down with an injury by mid season then they can tank the rest of the way to a top 10 pick

Sent from my A5 using RealGM mobile app
The Explorer
RealGM
And1: 2,849

Post#203 » by The Explorer » Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:36 pm

People completely underestimate the coaching ability of Kerr - he's a really good coach - barring injuries to half the team, they will make the playoffs.
BballIntellect
Junior
And1: 151

Post#204 » by BballIntellect » Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:54 pm

I see the Warriors winning 50/53 games if Curry, Draymond and to a lesser extent Dlo all play 77+ games. It's definitely possible but I wouldn't bank on it.

The more realistic expectation seems to be Curry and Draymond both playing from 70 to 75 games and the Warriors winning 47/48 games as a result of it.

This would place them as the fifth to sixth seed in the loaded West.

The only way the Warriors miss the playoffs is if Curry misses 15+ games post all star-break as it would be the toughest part of their schedule (even with Klay potentially back.) - Look it up. It's brutal !
SpreeChokeJob
Veteran
And1: 1,399

Post#205 » by SpreeChokeJob » Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:46 pm

Rastas wrote:With the extra workload needed early I would say it's a better than 50% chance Curry goes down with an injury by mid season then they can tank the rest of the way to a top 10 pick

Really don't think Curry is going to work anymore than he usually does. Dlo was brought in for that reason. The bench guards are solid. Evans is serviceable and Poole plays above his age.
Wolf of Ball St
Junior
And1: 519

Post#206 » by Wolf of Ball St » Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:17 pm

Low key good take. While I don’t agree with him, he could be right. And at this point, predictions like that are all about ratings, not accuracy. I think they’re a 6-ish seed, likely out in the first round. But I’m not counting them out until I see it happen.
BballIntellect
Junior

Post#207 » by BballIntellect » Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:24 pm

SpreeChokeJob wrote:
Rastas wrote:With the extra workload needed early I would say it's a better than 50% chance Curry goes down with an injury by mid season then they can tank the rest of the way to a top 10 pick

Really don't think Curry is going to work anymore than he usually does. Dlo was brought in for that reason. The bench guards are solid. Evans is serviceable and Poole plays above his age.

The guard rotation really won't be a problem at all. The Warriors will stagger Curry and Dlo. And both Evans and Poole can play for a little over 15 minutes a game alongside one of either Curry or Dlo at all times.

Even the center rotation should be ok with Willy Cauley Stein and Looney when they come back. Maybe the Warriors could keep Marqueese Chris too. They seem to really like him. Not to mention Draymond can always play a little bit of center for spot minutes in case the Warriors need him to.

The real issue for the Warriors this upcoming season will be at the wing spots. The Warriors have the worst wing rotation in the entire league until Klay comes back. And sadly that's not even an exageration.

They either have rookies (or second year players who played in the G League their rookie season like Jacob Evans.) They also have fringe players who would almost be out of the league if not for the Warriors picking them up.

Their projected starter for now at small forward could be cut before the regular season even starts. That's how bad their wing rotation is.
Mamba Mentality
RealGM
And1: 19,536

Post#208 » by Mamba Mentality » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:09 pm

I don't see them finishing any better than a 7 or 8 seed, and that's assuming a clean bill of health for Curry, Draymond, and D Lo. Based off last years standings that should put them right around 48 wins...I would probably round it down to 45 considering how much more balanced the West is gonna be from a competitive standpoint.
BballIntellect
Junior

Post#209 » by BballIntellect » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:52 pm

Mamba Mentality wrote:I don't see them finishing any better than a 7 or 8 seed, and that's assuming a clean bill of health for Curry, Draymond, and D Lo. Based off last years standings that should put them right around 48 wins...I would probably round it down to 45 considering how much more balanced the West is gonna be from a competitive standpoint.

They probably won't make the playoffs at 45 wins. I can see the Warriors missing the playoffs but not with a healthy Curry and Draymond for the whole year. They're too good of a duo. They'll get unexpected wins.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,253

Post#210 » by Catchall » Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:21 pm

It's a reasonable take. The Mavs and Pels could challenge for the 8th seed.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,904

Post#211 » by FlatearthZorro » Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:33 pm

12footrim wrote:I thought this guy was a pretty decent analyst on ESPN until this take. Wow.

I don't even think Russell is good, he may even overall be a negative on team winning if he's got to be the man, but good god man the gravity Curry creates alone is nearly good enough to drive an offense to open shots and a team to the playoffs.

Hot take alert from Bobsie.
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
JayMKE
RealGM
And1: 14,579

Post#212 » by JayMKE » Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:35 pm

I predict that they will make the playoffs
FREE GIANNIS
SK21209
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,829

Post#213 » by SK21209 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:37 pm

dk1115 wrote:Draymond will probably be back scoring 14 a game. Alfonzo will probably be really close to 10. Kevon is probably gonna put in 8/8. Should still be around a 50 win team.

Draymond really is the key here. If he's the same Draymond we saw after the All-Star break, they're not missing the playoffs. If he's closer to overweight, first half of the season Draymond, they very well could miss the playoffs.
valrond1
Senior
And1: 513

Post#214 » by valrond1 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:30 pm

12footrim wrote:I'm actually shocked as many people have the same take. Yeah, I could see them having to fight to get into the playoffs but this team isn't constructed like the Lakers of last year, that didn't make any sense. There is a framework that still makes a lot of sense, they just need a few decent shooters and defender types to fill in around them. I mean he said this even with Klay expected back by the All Star break.

What framework?. You have Curry and Draymond. Klay is out. KD is gone, so is Iguodala. They have added D'Lo, and he's good, but there is no framework left.
Pennebaker
Head Coach
And1: 5,577

Post#215 » by Pennebaker » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:47 pm

Hey, he said it was a bold take. Here is Bobby Marks' quote:

I'm going to make a bold prediction here. This group (Curry, Russell, Evans, Green, Looney) will not make the playoffs next year. Not if Klay Thompson is going to be out an extended period of time and I'm worried about their depth - they can only add minimum players.

You are going to be restricted with your bench here. The bench is going to be very thin here. And we don't even know if the Russell-Curry combination even works. Or even if Russell will even be here when we get to the trade deadline.

But look at Kerr's own take on the upcoming season:

We’ve got five rookies here. We’ve got a bunch of other young players. We have six guys returning, including Klay, who can’t get on the court. That’s five returning guys on the court. We had 18 guys playing Tuesday, so it’s 13 new guys.

I look at this year as a growth year. We’ve got to get a couple of these young guys to pop. We’ve got to get them to break through, so that when Klay is back at full strength next year we come back and we’ve got our core intact.

Steve Kerr has already written off this season and is planning for next season.

So the Warriors are full of players with little to no history of success in the NBA, Kerr calls it a "growth year" that they will use to prepare the young players to build towards next season, and we're surprised that someone suggests that they might not make the playoffs?

Now that I think about it, I'm not sure the take is even that bold.
Harcore Fenton Mun
RealGM
And1: 7,725

Post#216 » by Harcore Fenton Mun » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:49 pm

SpreeS wrote:
Harcore Fenton Mun wrote:I don't know about "miss the playoffs"

I'm not a fan of the Curry/Russell combo, from what I've seen so far. Both guys need the ball in their hands. The warriors need Curry with the ball in his hands to win. One's going to lose here.

Curry is the best off ball player on offence. There are plenty of time when D-Lo could produce with ball in hands.Also he was one of the best catch and shooting PG last year in Brooklyn. D-Lo hited 104 c&s 3P on 40% last year.

I know the pre season argument for this duo, I'm just saying...now that I've seen it. I'm less optimistic that both work on the floor together.
thebigbird
Head Coach
And1: 19,949

Post#217 » by thebigbird » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:55 pm

They should be ok. I think people overrate the West quite a bit.
Crives
General Manager
And1: 7,055

Post#218 » by Crives » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:00 pm

If you think they are a lock after losing KD/Iggy/Klay and adding no wing defenders you are neglecting the strength of the up and coming teams in the west.
kanahda ballz
Junior
And1: 248

Post#219 » by kanahda ballz » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:08 pm

They will struggle on defense.

Starting guards aren't good defenders, very little rim protection from WCS and Looney, and Thompson injured.

Draymond can't guard everybody.

Yes, there is a good possibility they miss the playoffs.

I think the Kings have a more deeper and talented squad than the Warriors and could challenge them for one of the final playoff seeds.
Joerezz7
Sixth Man
And1: 1,505

Post#220 » by Joerezz7 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:21 pm

SpreeChokeJob wrote:
Joerezz7 wrote:
SpreeChokeJob wrote:Look at Warrior's early schedule. It's easy. Barring injury this team will be seeded 1-5. By the time the schedule gets harder Klay will be back.

What part of the schedule are you referring to exactly? The first 15 games ain’t so easy. Let’s take a look

Clippers without george l
At Thunder w
At Pelicans w
At Suns w
Spurs 50-50
Hornets w
Blazers 50-50
At Rockets l
At Timberwolves w
At Thunder w
Jazz 50-50
At Lakers l
Celtics 50-50
At Pelicans w
At Grizzlies w

8 most likely wins
4 50-50 games
3 most likely losses
The majority is most likely wins with the others toss up games. Only three tough games where other teams deal with more.
10-5 seems reasonable start without their star player

You’re saying that against Pelicans is a guaranteed win and that the Jazz is 50-50. Wow...
GeorgeMarcus wrote:
GeorgeMarcus wrote:

There is nothing inherently different about winning in the Finals compared to winning other playoff seriess,

Return to The General Board