WOJ BOMB Marcus Morris 1 year deal Knicks

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

phanman
General Manager
And1: 8,392

Re: WOJ BOMB Marcus Morris 1 year deal Knicks 

Post#61 » by phanman » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:15 am

HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,806

Post#62 » by HotelVitale » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:16 am

BVB24 wrote:
Han Solo wrote:Next year’s FA is so weak. This is a smart move financially for Morris. Andre Drummond is the top FA next offseason if he opts out. That should tell you this is a good move.
His 2-yr deal with the Spurs had a Player Ootion in the 2nd year... and after state taxes, the money after one season in NY was a wash.

State taxes are not that big of a deal, small enough that basically no NBA decisions are coming down to them. At most there's a 10% difference--the highest rate in the country is CA's 10% and most states are more like 3-5%--and contract decisions rarely come down to 5-10% of salary. In this casem even with Morris choosing a higher state-tax state (NY has 8.8% tax for those making over a million bucks a year) over a no-tax one, he's making a lot more. In SA he'd make $10m this year, while in NY he'll make $15m -$1.3m= $13.7m. That's not a 'wash,' it's a full 35%+ more. (That's assuming the two year deal wasn't escalating too).
DaGawd
RealGM
And1: 43,909

Post#63 » by DaGawd » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:19 am

NBAFan93 wrote:So are the Knicks going to try to win games next season or what? Assuming not, Morris just did this so he can be a FA next year, after spending a season on a tank team?
instead of committed to a team trying to compete on a two year deal? And the difference was $15M in New York versus a 2/20 in SAS?

Guess we’ll see what he gets next offseason and if the gamble paid off.

Side note, but the Morris brothers are both so unlikeable. Good players, but hard to watch cause they always seem like they are complaining. This move doesn’t help with their like-ability.

Seems like it. We might be realizing players are going to teams who show they are competitive and trying to build something sustainable. I do hope we still give developing the kids top priority while trying to win in the process. It will be totally disappointing if the kids are buried on the bench for the sake of winning a few extra games with the vets
BaF
Washington Wizards
Leor_77
Analyst
And1: 533

Post#64 » by Leor_77 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:23 am

Pharmcat wrote:rich paul does not have his clients interests in his mind...he is more interested in furthering his and lebron agenda which includes settling old scores. Classless move here. Klutch sports = unclutch sports, Skip Bayless was totally right on them

That's pretty ridiculous...So, you're saying Klutch makes decisions based on how to hurt Spurs fan Skip Bayless, because he criticizes Lebron?
LewisnotMiller
Analyst
And1: 3,237

Post#65 » by LewisnotMiller » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:25 am

RipPizzaGuy wrote:People follow such a herd mentality sometimes. Knicks actually assembled an okay team. Wont be great but much better than some of the east bottom dwellers.

I can only speak for myself, but my opinion on this has nothing to do with 'herd mentality'.
This team will be competitive which does put them above the lowest tier in the east I think. That doesn't mean I can see a clear plan moving forwards though.

RipPizzaGuy wrote:
Robinson/Taj
Randle/Portis
Morris/Knox
Barrett/ellington/trier
Elfrid/DSJ

I wont be shocked if this team fights for the 8th seed I'm the east.

My questions are really around where you project Barrett and Knox, and who fits best with Robinson. If you rate DSJ, add him to the list.

So, I'd prefer this...

Robinson/Taj
Randle/Morris
Barrett/Knox
Ellington/Trier
Payton/DSJ

Take Randle out and add Portis if you like. I prefer Portis' fit offensively, but Randle is the far superior player, and his toughness is good.
Obviously this lineup has one less legit NBA player than yours, so I'm not saying it's more talented. But Barrett is a 3 to me, and Knox is a combo fwd. Having Knox in second units with Morris gives a good defensive cover/vet toughness. I'd worry if one ball is enough for Morris, Knox and Smith, so maybe start Smith, use Payton off the bench.

To be clear, Knicks shouldn't be tanking but they should be prioritising their young talent development.
RussellandFlow
Bench Warmer
And1: 917
Location: San Francisco born & raised, Pacific Northwest living

Post#66 » by RussellandFlow » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:25 am

I'd be surprised if he is still on the team after the trade deadline. This is his fifth team since he's been in the league, he does not stay long before he is traded.
John Murdoch
General Manager
And1: 7,265

Post#67 » by John Murdoch » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:27 am

Spurs should go after Markieff now for the lulz
Magic#1 wrote:We have won two playoff games in two years. If we decide to keep this team for the next two years, maybe it will feel like we won a series.
jwise44
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 9,341

Post#68 » by jwise44 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:28 am

Bornstellar wrote:Knicks franchise will forever be cursed

Morris was a good player last year. Wish he would have signed a 1 + team option like the rest of their signings

Morris randle payton and Portis signings are all good signings
hoop_head
RealGM
And1: 2,235

Post#69 » by hoop_head » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:29 am

The NBA is just weird right now.
INKtastic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,967

Post#70 » by INKtastic » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:41 am

Richfield wrote:
INKtastic wrote:
ZemGOAT wrote:Spurs deal was [b]better financially[/b] and on the court for him. No state income tax in Texas and you get to play good minutes under Pop.

NY state taxes aren't 33%

Are you a millionaire?

What's the tax rate for millionaires in NYC?

Why would I have to be a millionaire living in NYC to look up tax rates? I have this thing called the internet.

8.82% NY State tax
3.876% NYC tax
total: 12.696% taxes

NBA players are taxed on the state the game is played in, not the home state. He's making $15 million, but only pays extra NYC and NY state taxes on half of that, or 7.5 million. 12.696%% of 7.5 million is $950k. He also pays about 1.85 million in federal taxes on the extra $5 million. so 2.8 million total in extra taxes, so he clears an extra $2.2 million.
http://www.inktastic.com/ Custom T-Shirts and more
Winsome Gerbil
RealGM
And1: 13,086

Post#71 » by Winsome Gerbil » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:42 am

Twitchy and untrustworthy as ever. There's a reason he's bounced around, a reason Boston pointedly did not want him back.
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,573

Post#72 » by LightTheBeam » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:42 am

LewisnotMiller wrote:
RipPizzaGuy wrote:People follow such a herd mentality sometimes. Knicks actually assembled an okay team. Wont be great but much better than some of the east bottom dwellers.

I can only speak for myself, but my opinion on this has nothing to do with 'herd mentality'.
This team will be competitive which does put them above the lowest tier in the east I think. That doesn't mean I can see a clear plan moving forwards though.

RipPizzaGuy wrote:
Robinson/Taj
Randle/Portis
Morris/Knox
Barrett/ellington/trier
Elfrid/DSJ

I wont be shocked if this team fights for the 8th seed I'm the east.

My questions are really around where you project Barrett and Knox, and who fits best with Robinson. If you rate DSJ, add him to the list.

So, I'd prefer this...

Robinson/Taj
Randle/Morris
Barrett/Knox
Ellington/Trier
Payton/DSJ

Take Randle out and add Portis if you like. I prefer Portis' fit offensively, but Randle is the far superior player, and his toughness is good.
Obviously this lineup has one less legit NBA player than yours, so I'm not saying it's more talented. But Barrett is a 3 to me, and Knox is a combo fwd. Having Knox in second units with Morris gives a good defensive cover/vet toughness. I'd worry if one ball is enough for Morris, Knox and Smith, so maybe start Smith, use Payton off the bench.

To be clear, Knicks shouldn't be tanking but they should be prioritising their young talent development.

I'm a big believer In breeding a winning culture. Winning 32 games and having the rooks play 25mpg is probably better for their development then playing 32mpg and winning 17 games again.

Long term the focus is DSJ/Barrett/Knox/Randle/Mitchell, but letting them go out with free reign and no vets allows them to develop bad habits.

None of the other guys are long term pieces. if they trade them for value at the deadline and in that time they help mentor the kids, it was a job well done.
levon
RealGM
And1: 23,189

Post#73 » by levon » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:43 am

infinite11285 wrote:Pop doesn’t deserve this. My guy should’ve retired.

With all the purported meddling he does in other team's affairs (team or teams shall not be named), yes he does imo. He deserved Kawhi winning a chip without them, too.
Smitson
Starter
And1: 2,945

Post#74 » by Smitson » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:43 am

What a clown. I hope him and his brother both get vet min deals next year.
udfa
Starter
And1: 2,821

Post#75 » by udfa » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:44 am

It's always fun to pick up another player to root against and doubly convenient when that guy is on Dolan's team
freethedevil
Head Coach
And1: 3,230

Post#76 » by freethedevil » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:45 am

Ballerhogger wrote:
nzahir wrote:
infinite11285 wrote:Pop doesn’t deserve this. My guy should’ve retired.

He should also stop putting his nose in LAL business

Taking back Derozan, Jakob, and ONE late 1st for Kawhi was a joke on RC and Pop's front

things come around and go around

it's almost like they had no leverage...
nzahir
RealGM
And1: 4,657

Post#77 » by nzahir » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:48 am

freethedevil wrote:
Ballerhogger wrote:
nzahir wrote:He should also stop putting his nose in LAL business

Taking back Derozan, Jakob, and ONE late 1st for Kawhi was a joke on RC and Pop's front

things come around and go around

Its almost like they asked LAL for too much and then took that crap.

Wanted BI, Kuzma, Hart, 2 1sts, 2 pick swaps

Last summer, I think BI and a 1st was similar to Derozan's value
1st for 1st is equal
Kuzma>Jakob
And then there is still hart, 1st, and 2 pick swaps missing

I bet LA would have given up BI, Hart, 2 1sts, and 2 swaps
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,683

Post#78 » by Pointgod » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:50 am

Dez wrote:They have like 65 million committed to PF next season.

This is fascinating.

I think the word you’re looking for is train wreck.
freethedevil
Head Coach
And1: 3,230

Post#79 » by freethedevil » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:50 am

nzahir wrote:
freethedevil wrote:
Ballerhogger wrote:things come around and go around

Its almost like they asked LAL for too much and then took that crap.

Wanted BI, Kuzma, Hart, 2 1sts, 2 pick swaps

Last summer, I think BI and a 1st was similar to Derozan's value
1st for 1st is equal
Kuzma>Jakob
And then there is still hart, 1st, and 2 pick swaps missing

I bet LA would have given up BI, Hart, 2 1sts, and 2 swaps

eh, fair. Frankly, i would have taken bi alone over derozan simply due to age. I have no idea how the "trade to a rival is bad" since the spurs weren't in pos to contend.
Richfield
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,234

Post#80 » by Richfield » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:51 am

INKtastic wrote:
Richfield wrote:
INKtastic wrote:
NY state taxes aren't 33%

Are you a millionaire?

What's the tax rate for millionaires in NYC?

Why would I have to be a millionaire living in NYC to look up tax rates? I have this thing called the internet.

8.82% NY State tax
3.876% NYC tax
total: 12.696% taxes

NBA players are taxed on the state the game is played in, not the home state. He's making $15 million, but only pays extra NYC and NY state taxes on half of that, or 7.5 million. 12.696%% of 7.5 million is $950k. He also pays about 1.85 million in federal taxes on the extra $5 million. so 2.8 million total in extra taxes, so he clears an extra $2.2 million.

Thanks. Sounds low but I'll take your word for it. I'm not up on tax laws, how they work, compared to how they used to work. Seems like there's always extra stuff coming out of paychecks besides those two things. And I was under the impression people who make more get taxed more. I guess I was wrong. Thanks.

Return to The General Board