RealGM Top 25 Player Poll-#9 2019-20

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

RealGM Top 25 Player Poll-#9 2019-20

Poll ended at Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:07 am

Paul George (LAC)
46%
Kevin Durant (BKN)
9%
Damian Lillard (POR)
29%
Rudy Gobert (UTA)
6%
Jimmy Butler (MIA)
2%
Russell Westbrook (HOU)
4%
Kyrie Irving (BKN)
1%
Draymond Green (GSW)
1%
Karl-Anthony Towns (MIN)
2%
Bradley Beal (WAS)
No votes

Total votes: 226

Daddy 801
General Manager
And1: 2,436

Re: RealGM Top 25 Player Poll-#9 2019-20 

Post#101 » by Daddy 801 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:23 am

There is so much ignorance when it comes to Goberts game. The idea PG is more impactful on defense is just false. Even in the playoffs. The Jazz played PG with good defenders two years ago and the Jazz won. And Gobert is easily one of (if not the best) pick setter and rim rollers in the league. That’s a damn important thing on offense.

It sorta reminds me of when people say Curry isn’t that good because “all he can do is shoot 3’s”. You don’t see that narrative as much as a few years ago, but it was very ignorant and it’s ignorant when people say Gobert isn’t good because he “all he does is dunk”.
Triples333
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,671

Post#102 » by Triples333 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:44 am

Daddy 801 wrote:There is so much ignorance when it comes to Goberts game. The idea PG is more impactful on defense is just false. Even in the playoffs. The Jazz played PG with good defenders two years ago and the Jazz won. And Gobert is easily one of (if not the best) pick setter and rim rollers in the league. That’s a damn important thing on offense.

It sorta reminds me of when people say Curry isn’t that good because “all he can do is shoot 3’s”. You don’t see that narrative as much as a few years ago, but it was very ignorant and it’s ignorant when people say Gobert isn’t good because he “all he does is dunk”.

The fact of the matter with Gobert is he doesn't create for himself and he can't create for others. He is an amazing rim protector, a great rebounder and a super efficient finisher within 5 feet.

He's never averaged 15 PPG or 3 APG in the playoffs (or 14/2 For that matter). These things matter when ranking top 10 players. He's simply not there.
Daddy 801
General Manager
And1: 2,436

Post#103 » by Daddy 801 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:20 am

Triples333 wrote:
Daddy 801 wrote:There is so much ignorance when it comes to Goberts game. The idea PG is more impactful on defense is just false. Even in the playoffs. The Jazz played PG with good defenders two years ago and the Jazz won. And Gobert is easily one of (if not the best) pick setter and rim rollers in the league. That’s a damn important thing on offense.

The fact of the matter with Gobert is he doesn't create for himself and he can't create for others. He is an amazing rim protector, a great rebounder and a super efficient finisher within 5 feet.

He's never averaged 15 PPG or 3 APG in the playoffs (or 14/2 For that matter). These things matter when ranking top 10 players. He's simply not there.

He does create for others. Setting picks is creating for others. It’s one of the most important ways to create for others.
Triples333
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,671

Post#104 » by Triples333 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:27 am

Daddy 801 wrote:
Triples333 wrote:

He does create for others. Setting picks is creating for others. It’s one of the most important ways to create for others.

Lol come on man.

It is a nice trait for a 7 footer to have (and a must frankly. What truly separates him from Steven Adams on that end?...). He's not exactly Jokic out there. I like Gobert a lot and he is probably in my top 15, but top 10 simply takes more involvement offensively and Gobert does not have it. I would take Draymond over him all day personally. I actually think he is more dynamic/important on both ends.
iggymcfrack
RealGM
And1: 8,056

Post#105 » by iggymcfrack » Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:44 am

Career playoff on/off:

Gobert
2017: -11.0
2018: -6.8
2019: -17.1

Draymond
2013: +4.1
2014: +27.6
2015: +19.4
2016: +13.9
2017: +18.8
2018: +4.2
2019: +16.8

Even if you wanna reward defense, I don’t see how you can honestly try to say that Gobert has a bigger impact than Draymond. If you ask which one I’d rather have in the playoffs, it’s not remotely close. Honestly, I don’t see how Gobert can possibly be a serious candidate with Butler and Green still on the board.
jirrit
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,622

Post#106 » by jirrit » Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:58 pm

So you are picking him as the 9th best player in the NBA? Maybe even higher?
deneem4
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,255

Post#107 » by deneem4 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:31 pm

KqWIN wrote:
deneem4 wrote:
KqWIN wrote:
It's the same question. Is it more important because it's easier, or more important because it's harder?

IMO, nothing is more important because it's easier or harder. Right now teams score about 1.1 PPP. If they were scoring 1.5 PPP (or 0.5), it'd still have the same importance.

Also, it's a 5v5 game, more than ever. Talking about how one player goes against another single is completely outdated and doesn't reflect the reality of how the game is played in the slightest.

Exactly....
Curry, giannas, etc...changes an entire defense...
Gobert doesn’t change entire offenses...

Um...he absolutely does, but that's not the point. The point is that offense, or defense, isn't inherently more or less important because it's easier or harder. Place Gobert where you want. But if you're reasoning is because the importance, or lack thereof, of defense relative to the past that's a flawed premise to begin with. It's not like offense was less valuable in the past.

Defense was more important in the past before the big 3 eras... that’s how the pistons snuck a championship...
It’s a reason games are more high scoring now.
Pay your beals....or its lights out!!!
Bron, Bosh, Wade is like Mike, Hakeem, barkley...3 top 5 picks from same draft
mike, hakeem and Barkley on the same team!!!!
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#108 » by KqWIN » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:36 pm

deneem4 wrote:
KqWIN wrote:
deneem4 wrote:
Exactly....
Curry, giannas, etc...changes an entire defense...
Gobert doesn’t change entire offenses...

Um...he absolutely does, but that's not the point. The point is that offense, or defense, isn't inherently more or less important because it's easier or harder. Place Gobert where you want. But if you're reasoning is because the importance, or lack thereof, of defense relative to the past that's a flawed premise to begin with. It's not like offense was less valuable in the past.

Defense was more important in the past before the big 3 eras... that’s how the pistons snuck a championship...
It’s a reason games are more high scoring now.

Higher scoring has nothing to do with more important. Big 3 era also has nothing to do with more important.

Once again, is something more or less important because it's easier or harder? By asserting this point, you are saying that offense is more important because it's easier and less important before because it was harder.

If that's how you feel, which is what you're asserting, we'll have to agree to disagree.
Tiny ball
Veteran
And1: 840

Post#109 » by Tiny ball » Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:38 pm

ken6199 wrote:Voted PG.

Before last season I would have absolutely voted for Lillard, but PG brought out his career season and I think he will continue on that level for 1-2 more seasons, with better coaching and supporting cast.

I did not watch all their play-off games but he was injured. I thought he sucked in what ever games. Parts of games I watched. You can't be top player and suck in the playoffs that year?imho

Return to The General Board