Jason Tatum: I'm going to average over 20, make the All Star team, and the Celtics are going to the finals

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Klayforspicy
Head Coach
And1: 7,248

Re: Jason Tatum: I'm going to average over 20, make the All Star team, and the Celtics are going to the finals 

Post#81 » by Klayforspicy » Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:38 pm

He should of left the 20 ppg part out.
It's not important.
Sactowndog
Kings Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 1,711

Re: Jason Tatum: I'm going to average over 20, make the All Star team, and the Celtics are going to the finals 

Post#82 » by Sactowndog » Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:44 pm

At this point in time I would hope to see the same statements from Fox and Bagley and they are both in the west. If you are drafted top 5, your goals should be 20 plus a game, all star and playoffs.
Saints14
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,461

Post#83 » by Saints14 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:45 pm

Jason Tatum and Gordon Heyward will be a great wing combo this year. I just think they might miss Al Hortford.
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 62,926

Post#84 » by Celts17Pride » Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:46 pm

Sactowndog wrote:At this point in time I would hope to see the same statements from Fox and Bagley and they are both in the west. If you are drafted top 5, your goals should be 20 plus a game, all star and playoffs.

If Jayson Tatum wasn't a Celtic this would be a non issue. It's just the way the General Board rolls.
TheFinishSniper
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,244

Post#85 » by TheFinishSniper » Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:50 pm

For many young players while still on rookie deal reaching 20 ppg seems to be important. Not 18, not 19, not 21 or 25, it's exactly 20. It's magical number. I dont know this has with their pride or their future endorsment aka getting paid eventually.

But it really is. They dont exactly value or know what winning is, and value own stats specially when they are lottery prospects. I dont dislike the guy, it's mentality of AAU basketball with who they grew up.
JAYZGOAT
Starter
And1: 1,528

Post#86 » by JAYZGOAT » Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:51 pm

Yeah if we're going to attack Tobias and James Ennis for this and they were actually a contender, Tatum deserves the same
JAYZGOAT
Starter
And1: 1,528

Post#87 » by JAYZGOAT » Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:51 pm

Celts17Pride wrote:
Sactowndog wrote:At this point in time I would hope to see the same statements from Fox and Bagley and they are both in the west. If you are drafted top 5, your goals should be 20 plus a game, all star and playoffs.

If Jayson Tatum wasn't a Celtic this would be a non issue. It's just the way the General Board rolls.

Nahhh people crucified Tobias and James Ennis for the same thing
FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,904

Post#88 » by FlatearthZorro » Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:52 pm

cl2117 wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
Drax wrote:What else is he supposed to say, i'm going to average 10 points, the Celtics will not make the play offs and i'll have a 75 rating? Would that be the correct answer? Leave the kid alone, let him play the season and see what happens.

And yes of course the Celtics won't win the title this season, nobody with a brain would expect that. But a player has to say he wants to win it all otherwise people question his motor.

how about try and be humble and say you are just going to work hard and try to win as a team.

Taum/Brown/Rozier being ego maniacs and thinking they are great before proving anything was as big a problem as kyrie last year

Did they sleep with your mother or something? You seem like personally offended by the Boston Celtics. It's really weird. Get help.

For real, dude. It's at a point where it's getting a bit creepy.
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
Jcity08
RealGM
And1: 15,527

Post#89 » by Jcity08 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:53 pm

These are things you want to hear from the young players on your team. I'm not going to hate on him for setting goals for himself, so long as he backs up his word and can make his team better for it.

I don't even like the Celtics but I'm rooting for this kid to succeed.

Signed with team T.W.O for the 2022-23 2023-24 season.
Pet Poeltl
Pro Prospect
And1: 2,148

Post#90 » by Pet Poeltl » Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:56 pm

Scale of importance:

1- 90 rating in a video game
2- over 20ppg
3- all-star
4- finals appearance
Effigy
RealGM
And1: 11,939

Post#91 » by Effigy » Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:57 pm

Good confidence. I hope he does it. (the first two, I mean, not really fair to blame him if the third one doesn't happen)
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,472

Post#92 » by youngcrev » Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:01 pm

How many pages can we get out of this non-story?
Effigy
RealGM

Post#93 » by Effigy » Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:01 pm

TheFinishSniper wrote:For many young players while still on rookie deal reaching 20 ppg seems to be important. Not 18, not 19, not 21 or 25, it's exactly 20. It's magical number. I dont know this has with their pride or their future endorsment aka getting paid eventually.

But it really is. They dont exactly value or know what winning is, and value own stats specially when they are lottery prospects. I dont dislike the guy, it's mentality of AAU basketball with who they grew up.

Eh, you gotta take care of yourself first. The team winning is great and all, but would you rather be Devin Booker or Chris Boucher? Boucher's team won, but Booker got PAID.
TheFinishSniper
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,244

Post#94 » by TheFinishSniper » Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:19 pm

Effigy wrote:
TheFinishSniper wrote:For many young players while still on rookie deal reaching 20 ppg seems to be important. Not 18, not 19, not 21 or 25, it's exactly 20. It's magical number. I dont know this has with their pride or their future endorsment aka getting paid eventually.

Eh, you gotta take care of yourself first. The team winning is great and all, but would you rather be Devin Booker or Chris Boucher? Boucher's team won, but Booker got PAID.

I think we established today that people get paid in this league even if they arent scoring 20+ But like I said young players love money more than winning. Winning starts matter to them after they get paid. And if they dont in first 2 years they start requesting to Klutch to trade them to Lakers.
Effigy
RealGM

Post#95 » by Effigy » Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:25 pm

TheFinishSniper wrote:
Effigy wrote:

I think we established today that people get paid in this league even if they arent scoring 20+ But like I said young players love money more than winning. Winning starts matter to them after they get paid. And if they dont in first 2 years they start requesting to Klutch to trade them to Lakers.

It's not just young players. Everyone is going to say they'd rather get paid than have the team they're on be successful. Let's be reasonable. The only people who don't say that are the people who have already been paid. But paid always comes first. And while some players do get paid without scoring 20+, not all of them do. Chris Boucher won't, for instance. Better to get the numbers early to help get that paycheck.
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#96 » by Prokorov » Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:27 pm

Green89 wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
Drax wrote:What else is he supposed to say, i'm going to average 10 points, the Celtics will not make the play offs and i'll have a 75 rating? Would that be the correct answer? Leave the kid alone, let him play the season and see what happens.

And yes of course the Celtics won't win the title this season, nobody with a brain would expect that. But a player has to say he wants to win it all otherwise people question his motor.

how about try and be humble and say you are just going to work hard and try to win as a team.

Taum/Brown/Rozier being ego maniacs and thinking they are great before proving anything was as big a problem as kyrie last year

He was asked for this year's goals. Do you really think any NBA player's goals would be averaging 18ppg, not make the all star team, and have a first round playoff exit? Your childish and incessant Celtics bashing is getting very old.

his goal should be to work hard and be humble
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#97 » by Prokorov » Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:31 pm

ATLTimekeeper wrote:
Nuntius wrote:
koningcosmo wrote:they downgraded from kyrie to kemba and lost horford, how are they supposed to be better then last year??

I disagree on the downgrade comment. Kyrie to Kemba is an upgrade, imo. Kyrie has more natural talent than Kemba but Kemba is a much better leader and he can help this young Celtics group rally around him much more than Kyrie was ever able to do. But yes, losing Horford (and not replacing him with anyone of note) is indeed an issue.

As for Tatum, there's no doubt in my mind that he can average over 20PPG. He probably will. I also think that he has a decent chance at making the All-Star team. But I don't think that the Celtics will go to the Finals. The Bucks and the Sixers both figure out to be better than them.

I love Kemba but I think we really don't know what kind of leader he is. He's never won much of anything at the NBA-level, his teams have never really outperformed expectations, never gone on a bit of a run. He might just be an easier guy to get along with, which is all that the Celtics may need. But part of Irving's frustrations with the younger players were specifically about the feeling like they've already won. That's pretty much what Tatum is expressing here to me. That he didn't learn any lessons from last year. 2K ratings and ppg sounds like young guy ****. The same guy apparently put up a huge poster in his place of him dunking on LeBron in a series that LeBron won (in part by going right at Tatum in the closing minutes). Is Kemba going to be able to come in there and say anything different than Kyrie here? He has even less playoff success than Tatum?

This is spot on. All this Rhetoric about Kyrie being an awful leader and not being able to go anywhere as a teams #1... Yet in the most dsyfunctional mess of a season in which kyrie "couldnt lead them anywhere" Kyrie got furhter this year (second round) then Kemba has ever gotten.

I understand that Kemba may be a breath of fresh air, but this idea he is some great leader when he has had a losing record in 5 of his 8 seasons and never advanced a round in the playoffs tell another story
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#98 » by Prokorov » Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:35 pm

TommyPoints wrote:
bulliedog8 wrote:He should worry about making the playoffs first before claiming they are going to the finals and trying to be a 90 in NBA 2k

Make the playoffs? It’s really interesting how Boston is so underrated now here.

They are actually being drastically overrated by most having them top 5 in the east.

They downgraded at PG, PF, C, bakcup PG, backup PF, and backup C

they have the worst front court in the east, no depth, and a team full of shoot first players
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#99 » by Prokorov » Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:36 pm

koningcosmo wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
koningcosmo wrote:they downgraded from kyrie to kemba and lost horford, how are they supposed to be better then last year??

One would assume Tatum thinks he's improved more than enough?

to also do what horford did on the field?? horford gone and kemba in means really bad defense for the celtics. Kemba is higher volume shooter then kyrie with a worse shooting percentage. so why should they improve over last year when they were not even close to getting to the finals. they have no argument over the Bucks or the sixers.

Because KEmba is a better "leader" as evidence of all those years of him leading his team to a 10 seed and underachieving
teke184
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,391

Post#100 » by teke184 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:44 pm

I see him going 1/3 on those.

He can get his PPG up if Kemba fits Brad Stevens’ system better than Kyrie, as Kyrie’s ISO-heavy game screwed up a lot for them last season. If the shots spread around more, it is possible.

All Star? Possible but not likely. Even in the East.

Finals? LOL, no. Milwaukee and Philly seem to have a death grip on both slots in the ECF as of now.

Return to The General Board