[SI]David Griffin on 3-year stint with Cavs: “Everything we did was so inorganic and unsustainable and, frankly, not fun

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,382

Re: [SI]David Griffin on 3-year stint with Cavs: “Everything we did was so inorganic and unsustainable and, frankly, not 

Post#41 » by JonFromVA » Thu Aug 1, 2019 6:24 pm

“Literally the moment we won the championship I knew I was gonna leave. There was no way I was gonna stay for any amount of money.”

So, I guess Cavs fans can start blaming David Griffin for tearing down what could had been a dynasty. It sounds like the GM was all but leading the players out the door.

“There were so many things during that period of time that I wanted to do differently. If you make everything about, ‘It’s a destination. Damn the torpedos, I gotta get there,’ that might be the only time you get there.”

Then why didn't he do things differently? Does he think the Pelicans will never have to weight short-term wants over long-term needs?

It takes a creative GM to strike a balance. It takes a crafty GM to not come off as desperate or a sucker.

Mostly, though, this falls on Dan Gilbert for not hiring a GM or a President with actual experience who could have helped navigate the team through these types of decisions. I mean, Griff came in to the league on the business side of things, he then gained experience working in the FO of the Suns and Cavs, but that doesn't exactly qualify him to build a team, evaluate talent, sustain a contender, etc.

He was good at burning through the capital the team had accumulated, though.
Fable
Junior
And1: 307

Re: [SI]David Griffin on 3-year stint with Cavs: “Everything we did was so inorganic and unsustainable and, frankly, not 

Post#42 » by Fable » Thu Aug 1, 2019 6:24 pm

NjtoBk201 wrote:
Fable wrote:
NjtoBk201 wrote:
whats wrong with crying and complaining ?

It's pointless. Do it when nobody can see or hear you, even soldiers cry when no one sees them. Do not whine about your tears after you were blessed with one of the greatest basketball players in history bringing a championship to your city.

why does a regular person have to live like a soldier ?

Why does a regular person have to listen to a "woe is me" tale of the millionaire GM who won a ring thanks to a basketball GOAT?
NjtoBk201
Senior
And1: 558

Post#43 » by NjtoBk201 » Thu Aug 1, 2019 6:27 pm

Fable wrote:
NjtoBk201 wrote:
Fable wrote:It's pointless. Do it when nobody can see or hear you, even soldiers cry when no one sees them. Do not whine about your tears after you were blessed with one of the greatest basketball players in history bringing a championship to your city.

why does a regular person have to live like a soldier ?

Why does a regular person have to listen to a "woe is me" tale of the millionaire GM who won a ring thanks to a basketball GOAT?

They don't. Hes not forcing anyone to read.
ConSarnit
Analyst
And1: 3,668

Post#44 » by ConSarnit » Thu Aug 1, 2019 6:39 pm

I’m no Lebron stan but I believe he covers a lot of stink for other people. Who really knows if Griffin is a good GM. Call me skeptical until proven otherwise. The Cavs haven’t proven they can do jack without Lebron.
RCM88x
RealGM
And1: 18,975

Post#45 » by RCM88x » Thu Aug 1, 2019 6:41 pm

Good luck NOLA.

I've always gave Griff the benefit of the doubt but he comes off pretty pathetic here. Not sure what the reasoning behind this is, seemly has come out of nowhere.

LookToShoot wrote:Melo is the only player that makes the Rockets watchable for the basketball purists. Otherwise it would just be three point shots and pick n roll.
GoCeltics123
RealGM
And1: 32,690

Post#46 » by GoCeltics123 » Thu Aug 1, 2019 6:42 pm

kenwood3333 wrote:“Literally the moment we won the championship I knew I was gonna leave. There was no way I was gonna stay for any amount of money.”

The Cavs won in Jun 2016. David Griffin left in Jun 2017. If it was so bad to work there, why waited a year to leave?

Still was under contract for one more year
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,630

Post#47 » by kg01 » Thu Aug 1, 2019 6:45 pm

Did he get addicted to attention during his short media stint? Good lord, stop talking.
king01 :king:
jeeph
Senior
And1: 557

Post#48 » by jeeph » Thu Aug 1, 2019 6:47 pm

LuDux1 wrote:
Fable wrote:Men should cry and complain?

That's what realgm is for

Did you mean that's what an NBA basketball game is for?
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,382

Post#49 » by JonFromVA » Thu Aug 1, 2019 6:48 pm

GoCeltics123 wrote:
kenwood3333 wrote:“Literally the moment we won the championship I knew I was gonna leave. There was no way I was gonna stay for any amount of money.”

The Cavs won in Jun 2016. David Griffin left in Jun 2017. If it was so bad to work there, why waited a year to leave?

How many days did it take Tyrone Lue to get out of town AND keep all the money left on his contract? :banghead:
Pantsman
Veteran
And1: 3,733

Post#50 » by Pantsman » Thu Aug 1, 2019 6:49 pm

Griff should be praising everyone involved in getting him a ring. No one would have hired him as a VP of basketball ops without his time there.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,143

Post#51 » by jbk1234 » Thu Aug 1, 2019 6:54 pm

nymets1 wrote:When he said it was miserable with working with Lebron. That made me mad. Cleveland Cavaliers have always been trash before Lebron started his rookie year there and both times after he left. Lebron's cavalier teams were always a true contender every year Lebron was there and in 2016 they won the NBA finals.

Makes me so mad that someone would take a shot during Lebron's era in Cleveland, the only period the Cavaliers have been a contender and I'm not a Cavs fan.
That Cavs team in the late 80s was legit. They just kept running into Jordan's Bulls in the post season.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
G35
RealGM
And1: 7,753

Post#52 » by G35 » Thu Aug 1, 2019 6:57 pm

Fable wrote:
NjtoBk201 wrote:toxic thread

"Toxic masculinity"? Men should cry and complain?

Men get mixed messages like a mofo.

If men cry about something like pressure from their job, society, relationships, men get little sympathy from men or women. You will be seen as soft and "not fit for that life".

However, "toxic masculinity", aggression, alpha mentality is getting browbeaten out of men from progressive media and other progressive men who try to shame those men's actions.

Young males are getting mixed messages and that's too bad.....
I'm so tired of the typical......
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#53 » by jbk1234 » Thu Aug 1, 2019 6:58 pm

Griffin wanted Gilbert to cede control over big trades and hiring decisions to him. For better or worse, that's not Gilbert.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,977

Post#54 » by zimpy27 » Thu Aug 1, 2019 6:59 pm

This is a terrible look for Griffin.

Not sure if it's the article writer that is misinterpreting what he said or if Griffin really is this way. Hopefully he clears it up for us because this doesn't really seem like him from what I've seen and read.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#55 » by jbk1234 » Thu Aug 1, 2019 7:02 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
“Literally the moment we won the championship I knew I was gonna leave. There was no way I was gonna stay for any amount of money.”

So, I guess Cavs fans can start blaming David Griffin for tearing down what could had been a dynasty. It sounds like the GM was all but leading the players out the door.

“There were so many things during that period of time that I wanted to do differently. If you make everything about, ‘It’s a destination. Damn the torpedos, I gotta get there,’ that might be the only time you get there.”

Then why didn't he do things differently? Does he think the Pelicans will never have to weight short-term wants over long-term needs?

It takes a creative GM to strike a balance. It takes a crafty GM to not come off as desperate or a sucker.

Mostly, though, this falls on Dan Gilbert for not hiring a GM or a President with actual experience who could have helped navigate the team through these types of decisions. I mean, Griff came in to the league on the business side of things, he then gained experience working in the FO of the Suns and Cavs, but that doesn't exactly qualify him to build a team, evaluate talent, sustain a contender, etc.

He was good at burning through the capital the team had accumulated, though.
Griffin did a good job while he was here. LBJ, Kyrie, and Gilbert are three of the toughest egos in the league to manage.

Four straight Finals appearances speak for themselves.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#56 » by jbk1234 » Thu Aug 1, 2019 7:04 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
GoCeltics123 wrote:

How many days did it take Tyrone Lue to get out of town AND keep all the money left on his contract? :banghead:
And Lue is still unemployed - with an NBA championship on his resume.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
thebigbird
Head Coach
And1: 19,952

Post#57 » by thebigbird » Thu Aug 1, 2019 7:09 pm

Good thing he has another job right now because that article is one massive red flag. If you break down and cry because your team landed LeBron and now you're gonna have to be good at your job then you are probably in the wrong field.
Drygon
Veteran
And1: 4,723

Post#58 » by Drygon » Thu Aug 1, 2019 7:19 pm

Seems like LeBron fanboys are being upset about David Griffin's statement lol.

He's just conforming publicly what everyone else already knew.
C3H6N6O6
Analyst
And1: 3,898

Post#59 » by C3H6N6O6 » Thu Aug 1, 2019 7:24 pm

Drygon wrote:Seems like LeBron fanboys are being upset about David Griffin's statement lol.

He's just conforming publicly what everyone else already knew.

that pressure isn't for everyone. I agree.

Everyone acts like they want the money and rings but very few have the heart to not get buried under the pressure.
There have been multiple careers made in sports media for just bashing LeBron and yet I keep hearing that LeBron brings too much pressure for others.
WarriorGM
General Manager
And1: 3,690

Post#60 » by WarriorGM » Thu Aug 1, 2019 7:24 pm

Griffin is untouchable. He is the lucky charm. He got two number one draft picks on his watch.

Return to The General Board