The Next face of the NBA

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,010

Re: The Next face of the NBA 

Post#61 » by Lalouie » Sat Aug 3, 2019 11:01 pm

freethedevil wrote:
Lalouie wrote:it's kawhi and he'll be the bridge to

doncic and giannis

but giannis has to not be a one note player if he is to be the FACE of the nba

and the mavs will have to be a contender

The elite rim protector, defense warmer, offense runner, perimiter defender, and interior scoring threat is "one note." The man who can' only score at an elite level is "the bridge".

Trash take is trash.

don't be sour, knick man.

i meant on offense which is the GLAMOUR part of the game.
cover boys are almost unanimously offensively gifted.
doncic (and zion at this too early point) is almost there to be anointed and it's not because he's the coming of scottie pippen.

your man ewing was at that point as a supposed cover boy slash gifted defensive player when he got drafted, but of course he flubbed both mantles like a man with 12 thumbs, both as a supposed genius defensive player and hopeful(read: hopeless) ring bearing, franchise changing leader, before he quit on that and decide to move his scoring to baseline jumpers and the offensive GLAMOROUS part of the game.
LeMasta
Veteran
And1: 2,194

Post#62 » by LeMasta » Sat Aug 3, 2019 11:06 pm

I think it will be Zion, considering all of the marketing he's already getting. Unless he turns out to be underwhelming
Yuri Vaultin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14,269

Post#63 » by Yuri Vaultin » Sat Aug 3, 2019 11:14 pm

Giannis.
Props to Turbo_Zone for the sig.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,125

Post#64 » by clyde21 » Sat Aug 3, 2019 11:17 pm

the answer is Zion

and then Giannis and Luka.
RoyalWun
Lead Assistant
And1: 471

Post#65 » by RoyalWun » Sat Aug 3, 2019 11:23 pm

To the actual die-hard NBA fans: Giannis or even Luka if he continues to grow.
To the casual fans who don't know much and only go off of the media: Probably Zion if he lives up to the hype. He'll be pushed to it whether he likes it or not.
Dammit...:

I've got Nurkic fever now.
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
And1: 6,484

Post#66 » by THE J0KER » Sat Aug 3, 2019 11:26 pm

Why it is must to be a FACE?

Why not claws, or just the brow?
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,877
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#67 » by NO-KG-AI » Sat Aug 3, 2019 11:37 pm

00’s was Only Shaq/Kobe/Spurs for the beginning. It was full on LeBron fest for more than half of it by every major sports network. LeBron is going to end up the major headline for the better part of two separate decades.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
Hangtime84
RealGM
And1: 4,373

Post#68 » by Hangtime84 » Sat Aug 3, 2019 11:53 pm

If he wins another ship Kawhi
Jcool0 wrote:
aguifs wrote:Do we have a friggin plan?

If the Bulls do, you would be complaining to much to ever hear it.

NBA fan logic we need to trade one of two best players because (Player X) one needs to shine more.
KootenayRapFan
Sophomore
And1: 296

Post#69 » by KootenayRapFan » Sun Aug 4, 2019 1:12 am

Its all about who wins...you win consistently for a few years in a row then you become the face
Pennebaker
Head Coach
And1: 5,577

Post#70 » by Pennebaker » Sun Aug 4, 2019 1:33 am

Saint_Killa wrote:It's Giannis and I don't think there is too much debate on that..

I dont see that actually.

Giannis is like Duncan or Karl Malone. Fantastic players but theres something about them that prevented them from being the face of the league.

Lack of charisma?? Poor location?? Maybe a combination.
Alatan
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,530

Post#71 » by Alatan » Sun Aug 4, 2019 1:44 am

MagicBagley18
RealGM
And1: 20,332

Post#72 » by MagicBagley18 » Sun Aug 4, 2019 3:50 am

jokeboy86 wrote:
MagicBagley18 wrote:
LoveTheNBA23 wrote:
It will be AD or Zion. Bill Russell and Kareem didn’t have big personalities either. That’s not the barometer of becoming the face.

AD is playing for the Nba’s Flagship franchise in the Lakers and he will Be on National TV all the time. If he gets a few Chips in the 2020s he will be the face. You have to win chips to be the face of the NBA. AD is better suited for that in the near future than Zion is. Giannis also has a shot to be the face but a small market might make it a little more difficult.

You mean when Bill Russell played and the games weren’t even nationality televised or on a national level haha. Good call. Tim Duncan won rings and never was the face of the nba nor a unit mover in terms of endorsement. It’s more than winning. It’s a combination of both Winning and marketing ability and having a personality that the average person identifies with that makes them want to buy your product and make the player relatable.

No doubt AD’s profile will be elevated because he’s with Lebron and winning and in LA but unlike what many lakers fans sometimes tend to believe that doesn’t guarantee he will be the face of the league because he’s a laker. Talking about laker exceptionalism. Lol. AD will hit new levels for him and will be on all over but that doesn’t equal face of the league.

Giannis is in small market and yes that hurts him but he also has what people love- the story. The underdog role and how people passed on him in the draft and how he came to America with a dream to play basketball. He already has global appeal.

It’s a timeless tale and his ability to come across as humble, genuine and even in some situations genuinely new and intrigued to certain aspects America culture is extremely relatable more so than the guy who said he doesn’t dress himself (AD). He already has a signature shoe and you see him on tv in ads all the time and he did this without Lebron rich Paul or klutch.

But it also matters if the national media wants to cover you and can make money covering you and right now even with an MVP, global appeal, shoe, and a conference Final appearance Giannis still gets less coverage than AD and a rookie from Duke who has yet to play a single game. Hell Zion got more coverage than Giannis last year at Duke. Its a difference between global face of the league and domestic face. Giannis can be like Dirk, Yao, Parker, Ginobli and Hakeem and Mutumbo. But he’ll never be like MJ, Kobe, Lebron, Shaq Steph were in this country. I dont even know if he can be as popular as A.I was in this country. People sleep on Iverson’s popularity when he was in Philly. The only way Giannis could get big here domestically is if he played for the Knicks and that’s not gonna happen.

Disagree completely. If he wins he’ll be anointed. My point about Giannis being global isn’t that i don’t realize there’s a difference between global face and domestic face- it’s that for a league desperate to further entrench themself globally he’s the perfect domestic star to do that. The nba would love it.

AD got no coverage before now and literally terrible marketing. The national media loves Giannis I’m not sure if you’ve missed it but he’s been covered in multiple news outlets outside of basketball. Nike is backing him big time and unlike AD he already has the signature shoe line and is on tv and unlike AD he was able to carry a team to the conference finals.

You are severally underrating Giannis and his marketability but I expect time to prove me right and whether it’s giannis or not which we can disagree upon- I feel confident it won’t be AD and that doesn’t mean he won’t be in the spotlight or that he won’t win or that he won’t be popular but not the face.
HEAT33
Veteran
And1: 1,396

Post#73 » by HEAT33 » Sun Aug 4, 2019 4:07 am

Lavar Ball
EscapoTHB wrote:I think the 92 dream team would get beat by a lot of the top international teams today.

:lol:
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,877
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#74 » by NO-KG-AI » Sun Aug 4, 2019 5:41 am

It’ll be Zion unless he flops. The networks and the casuals already eat it up.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
Metallikid
RealGM
And1: 9,961

Post#75 » by Metallikid » Sun Aug 4, 2019 9:51 pm

Seems like Harden has gotten a huge following for himself and he's the flashiest player.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,191

Post#76 » by Catchall » Sun Aug 4, 2019 10:00 pm

Steph, Harden, Lebron (still), Dame, Giannis

Some new up-and-comers like Trae Young, Donovan Mitchell, Luka Doncic, Jokic...

A bunch of guys are face-of-the-league types.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
C3H6N6O6
Veteran
And1: 3,887

Post#77 » by C3H6N6O6 » Sun Aug 4, 2019 10:06 pm

There doesn't seem to be one right now. Zion might be the next one if he plays well and learns not to be boring.
There is nothing wrong is being so called "boring" but you can't be the face of the NBA if you are like that.

There is no player in the league right now that gets talked about half as much as LeBron. Kawhi's uncle has made all the right moves but Kawhi doesn't have the personality to do much with it which is his biggest problem. Health is also a major problem for him.
Pachinko_
RealGM
And1: 23,684

Post#78 » by Pachinko_ » Sun Aug 4, 2019 10:08 pm

Pennebaker wrote:
Saint_Killa wrote:It's Giannis and I don't think there is too much debate on that..

I dont see that actually.

Giannis is like Duncan or Karl Malone. Fantastic players but theres something about them that prevented them from being the face of the league.

Lack of charisma?? Poor location?? Maybe a combination.

Personality not loud enough.
Thank God.
AssistRubio
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,269

Post#79 » by AssistRubio » Sun Aug 4, 2019 11:35 pm

I know this forum loves Giannis but he doesn't move the needle. It's not going to be him.
ConSarnit
Analyst
And1: 3,600

Post#80 » by ConSarnit » Sun Aug 4, 2019 11:47 pm

Rightly or wrongly, to be the face you need the hype machine early. That’s why right now it can only be Zion. The average non-nba fan doesn’t know who Giannis is. He would have to win a LOT (titles) in the next few years to become the face at a Jordan/Lebron level. He’s behind the 8 ball as of now due to lack of exposure.

Return to The General Board