Amazing Spurs stat that deserves its own thread

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77, zimpy27, BombsquadSammy, GeorgeMarcus, PockyCandy, Prez, Yuri Vaultin, ken6199, Dirk

Did this deserve its own thread?

Poll ended at Tue Sep 3, 2019 1:33 am

Absolutely. It's an incredible achievement and RealGM should pay its respects.
51
75%
Cool stat but should have been posted in the recently-added NBA Stats thread.
6
9%
Garbage stat. Take a hike!
11
16%
 
Total votes: 68

User avatar
Kalela
Head Coach
Posts: 6,486
And1: 5,148
Joined: May 16, 2011
Location: Northern Kentucky
   

Re: Amazing Spurs stat that deserves its own thread 

Post#41 » by Kalela » Sun Aug 4, 2019 3:44 am

Surprised how high the Celtics are. There were some really bad Celtics teams in the 1990s.
User avatar
GeorgeMarcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 12,894
And1: 14,481
Joined: Jun 17, 2006
   

Re: Amazing Spurs stat that deserves its own thread 

Post#42 » by GeorgeMarcus » Sun Aug 4, 2019 3:46 am

Kalela wrote:Surprised how high the Celtics are. There were some really bad Celtics teams in the 1990s.


This dataset is limited to the last 20 season: 99-00 through 18-19.
"In my hood, bullies get bullied." - Zach Randolph

The Legend of George Marcus
User avatar
Kalela
Head Coach
Posts: 6,486
And1: 5,148
Joined: May 16, 2011
Location: Northern Kentucky
   

Re: Amazing Spurs stat that deserves its own thread 

Post#43 » by Kalela » Sun Aug 4, 2019 3:50 am

GeorgeMarcus wrote:
Kalela wrote:Surprised how high the Celtics are. There were some really bad Celtics teams in the 1990s.


This dataset is limited to the last 20 season: 99-00 through 18-19.


In my mind, without doing the math, I honestly thought 20 years ago was the early 1990s. :(
XxIronChainzxX
RealGM
Posts: 14,457
And1: 7,613
Joined: Oct 22, 2004
   

Re: Amazing Spurs stat that deserves its own thread 

Post#44 » by XxIronChainzxX » Sun Aug 4, 2019 3:53 am

Pennebaker wrote:
GeorgeMarcus wrote:As an extension of my 21st century thread, I added up total wins (RS+PS) for every NBA team over the last 20 seasons. Mind you the Spurs won the Finals in 99 and were dominant throughout the 90s, none of which was included in the following data.

It probably won't surprise many people to learn that the Spurs came out on top in this experiment. What might/probably will surprise people is the margin of victory. To put things into perspective, the gap between the Spurs and #2 Mavs is greater than the gap between the Mavs and last place Knicks :o It's hard to even wrap my mind around that.

FWIW I excluded the Bobcats/modern Hornets because they only played 15 of the 20 seasons. If you extrapolate their average win total over that span it's actually less than the Knicks, but then this thread would be slightly less mind blowing.

Full results:
Spoiler:
1. SAS - 1387
2. DAL - 1038
3. LAL - 1016
4. MIA - 1008
5. BOS - 985
6. HOU - 981
7. OKC - 958 (includes SEA teams)
8. IND - 947
9. UTA - 922
10. GSW - 915
11. POR - 913
12. DET - 903
13. CLE - 881
14. DEN - 870
15 (tie). PHO - 860
15 (tie). TOR - 860
17. NOP - 813 (includes pre-Bobcat CHA teams)
18. LAC - 803
19. ORL - 798
20. MIL - 797
21. PHI - 786
22. CHI - 784
23. SAC - 775
24. MEM - 765
25. ATL - 760
26. BKN - 759
27. WAS - 719
28. MIN - 714
29. NYK - 690
30. CHA - 488 (over 15 seasons)


And yet they could never repeat.

Regular season stuff is close to worthless.


Exactly. Failure of a franchise. All they have are 5 titles. A true superstar franchise wins 2 in a row, not 5 fake titles. I bet everybody in the NBA will tell you they prefer to win 2 titles in a row vs. 5 overall.
User avatar
HEAT33
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,915
And1: 783
Joined: Sep 29, 2010

Re: Amazing Spurs stat that deserves its own thread 

Post#45 » by HEAT33 » Sun Aug 4, 2019 3:55 am

The Spurs now have the modern day MJ in DeRozen.
EscapoTHB wrote:I think the 92 dream team would get beat by a lot of the top international teams today.

:lol:
User avatar
Capn'O
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Posts: 51,832
And1: 39,261
Joined: Dec 16, 2005
Location: “That don’t always the truth”
 

Re: Amazing Spurs stat that deserves its own thread 

Post#46 » by Capn'O » Sun Aug 4, 2019 3:57 am

Kalela wrote:
GeorgeMarcus wrote:
Kalela wrote:Surprised how high the Celtics are. There were some really bad Celtics teams in the 1990s.


This dataset is limited to the last 20 season: 99-00 through 18-19.


In my mind, without doing the math, I honestly thought 20 years ago was the early 1990s. :(


We live in the future bro
BAF Clippers
PG: SGA/Payton/Napier
SG: G. Harris/THT/Korkmaz
SF: Little/KCP/Dekker
PF: Isaac/M. Leonard/Vanderbilt/
C: Nurkic/M. Gasol/Holmes

RIP Mags :beer:
User avatar
GregOden
Pro Prospect
Posts: 875
And1: 716
Joined: Aug 11, 2010

Re: Amazing Spurs stat that deserves its own thread 

Post#47 » by GregOden » Sun Aug 4, 2019 4:00 am

Pennebaker wrote:
GeorgeMarcus wrote:As an extension of my 21st century thread, I added up total wins (RS+PS) for every NBA team over the last 20 seasons. Mind you the Spurs won the Finals in 99 and were dominant throughout the 90s, none of which was included in the following data.

It probably won't surprise many people to learn that the Spurs came out on top in this experiment. What might/probably will surprise people is the margin of victory. To put things into perspective, the gap between the Spurs and #2 Mavs is greater than the gap between the Mavs and last place Knicks :o It's hard to even wrap my mind around that.

FWIW I excluded the Bobcats/modern Hornets because they only played 15 of the 20 seasons. If you extrapolate their average win total over that span it's actually less than the Knicks, but then this thread would be slightly less mind blowing.

Full results:
Spoiler:
1. SAS - 1387
2. DAL - 1038
3. LAL - 1016
4. MIA - 1008
5. BOS - 985
6. HOU - 981
7. OKC - 958 (includes SEA teams)
8. IND - 947
9. UTA - 922
10. GSW - 915
11. POR - 913
12. DET - 903
13. CLE - 881
14. DEN - 870
15 (tie). PHO - 860
15 (tie). TOR - 860
17. NOP - 813 (includes pre-Bobcat CHA teams)
18. LAC - 803
19. ORL - 798
20. MIL - 797
21. PHI - 786
22. CHI - 784
23. SAC - 775
24. MEM - 765
25. ATL - 760
26. BKN - 759
27. WAS - 719
28. MIN - 714
29. NYK - 690
30. CHA - 488 (over 15 seasons)


And yet they could never repeat.

Regular season stuff is close to worthless.


Then you should be complaining the most about the Mavericks record, not the Spurs.
GordanFreeman
Analyst
Posts: 3,021
And1: 3,723
Joined: Mar 27, 2018
       

Re: Amazing Spurs stat that deserves its own thread 

Post#48 » by GordanFreeman » Sun Aug 4, 2019 4:24 am

Pennebaker wrote:
Ballings7 wrote:
Pennebaker wrote:
And yet they could never repeat.

Regular season stuff is close to worthless.


Doesn't take away from their greatness, legacy, or elite and extensive success that is highly unique in sports and the NBA.


Its illusory. They were never as good as you thought they were. One year they win it all, the next year they're out in the first round.

Those teams had many first round exits. Hardly an example of excellence.


You're drunk, stop posting.
User avatar
GreenBloodedC
RealGM
Posts: 11,049
And1: 11,588
Joined: May 08, 2012

Re: Amazing Spurs stat that deserves its own thread 

Post#49 » by GreenBloodedC » Sun Aug 4, 2019 4:46 am

HEAT33 wrote:Prime Duncan wouldn’t be effective in to modern game

This Duncan was more than effective in the modern era.


Image
Image
abark
Analyst
Posts: 3,510
And1: 1,595
Joined: May 21, 2003
Location: Miami
   

Re: Amazing Spurs stat that deserves its own thread 

Post#50 » by abark » Sun Aug 4, 2019 8:34 am

Wait, am I really hearing that in a hypothetical 5 year span, someone would prefer 2 back to back championships over 3 every other year?

Speechless...
Cycloneon
Senior
Posts: 526
And1: 642
Joined: May 14, 2016
Location: Mississauga, ON
   

Re: Amazing Spurs stat that deserves its own thread 

Post#51 » by Cycloneon » Sun Aug 4, 2019 9:53 am

Read on Twitter
?s=19

That's all that needs to be said.
User avatar
Baski
Veteran
Posts: 2,634
And1: 1,874
Joined: Feb 09, 2017
   

Re: Amazing Spurs stat that deserves its own thread 

Post#52 » by Baski » Sun Aug 4, 2019 9:57 am

Pennebaker wrote:
Ballings7 wrote:
Pennebaker wrote:
And yet they could never repeat.

Regular season stuff is close to worthless.


Doesn't take away from their greatness, legacy, or elite and extensive success that is highly unique in sports and the NBA.


Its illusory. They were never as good as you thought they were. One year they win it all, the next year they're out in the first round.

Those teams had many first round exits. Hardly an example of excellence.

Wait is this a bit?
Funniest Nicknames for NBA players I've ever heard on realgm:
1. Nicholas Kaboom
2. Lasoftus Aldridge
3. Glass
4. LeBaby
5. Zaza Pacheapshot
6. Stone Cold Steve Adams
7. Rapestaps Rapezingis :lol: :lol: :lol:
8. Yawnnis Icantshootthough
CoP
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,686
And1: 1,654
Joined: May 04, 2017
       

Re: Amazing Spurs stat that deserves its own thread 

Post#53 » by CoP » Sun Aug 4, 2019 10:56 am

GeorgeMarcus wrote:
CoP wrote:
GeorgeMarcus wrote:
Edited the OP. Figures the Spurs were the only teams I made a significant error on. Oh well.

You're welcome. No need to add that up manually when a simple bbref search will do.


Excel is hardly "manual", and every team has a franchise index that makes it easy to sort. Plus cumulative win totals don't offer the same insights on each dataset.

Yeah, it happens, no problem. Glad I could help. It is still a very impressive stat for the Spurs, even with the correction.

Not sure what your Excel dataset includes, but if it resulted in a fundamental error like wins, you may want to double check your other insights. Good luck.
Richfield
Pro Prospect
Posts: 949
And1: 661
Joined: May 12, 2019

Re: Amazing Spurs stat that deserves its own thread 

Post#54 » by Richfield » Sun Aug 4, 2019 3:29 pm

Pennebaker wrote:
GeorgeMarcus wrote:As an extension of my 21st century thread, I added up total wins (RS+PS) for every NBA team over the last 20 seasons. Mind you the Spurs won the Finals in 99 and were dominant throughout the 90s, none of which was included in the following data.

It probably won't surprise many people to learn that the Spurs came out on top in this experiment. What might/probably will surprise people is the margin of victory. To put things into perspective, the gap between the Spurs and #2 Mavs is greater than the gap between the Mavs and last place Knicks :o It's hard to even wrap my mind around that.

FWIW I excluded the Bobcats/modern Hornets because they only played 15 of the 20 seasons. If you extrapolate their average win total over that span it's actually less than the Knicks, but then this thread would be slightly less mind blowing.

Full results:
Spoiler:
1. SAS - 1387
2. DAL - 1038
3. LAL - 1016
4. MIA - 1008
5. BOS - 985
6. HOU - 981
7. OKC - 958 (includes SEA teams)
8. IND - 947
9. UTA - 922
10. GSW - 915
11. POR - 913
12. DET - 903
13. CLE - 881
14. DEN - 870
15 (tie). PHO - 860
15 (tie). TOR - 860
17. NOP - 813 (includes pre-Bobcat CHA teams)
18. LAC - 803
19. ORL - 798
20. MIL - 797
21. PHI - 786
22. CHI - 784
23. SAC - 775
24. MEM - 765
25. ATL - 760
26. BKN - 759
27. WAS - 719
28. MIN - 714
29. NYK - 690
30. CHA - 488 (over 15 seasons)


And yet they could never repeat.

Regular season stuff is close to worthless.


To some, maybe, but not as much to anybody with a competitive bone in their body.
User avatar
Johnny Bball
RealGM
Posts: 21,389
And1: 20,113
Joined: Feb 01, 2015
 

Re: Amazing Spurs stat that deserves its own thread 

Post#55 » by Johnny Bball » Sun Aug 4, 2019 3:58 pm

If you shrink this to 2004-05 and on.... the threes teams with the highest win percentage are SAS, Dallas and Houton. So if anyone thinks state taxes don't matter and taxes don't make the playing field un-level... well, not sure what to tell you.

https://fansided.com/2019/07/31/nba-geography-win-percentage/

Fwiw they heat come in tied for 4th. Orlando is the outlier, that speaks to how hard it is to overcome bad management.
benhillboy
Pro Prospect
Posts: 899
And1: 849
Joined: Dec 02, 2018

Re: Amazing Spurs stat that deserves its own thread 

Post#56 » by benhillboy » Sun Aug 4, 2019 4:26 pm

DiogoLandim wrote:Pop is the goat, the fact that spurs major FA during his stint was LMA is mind blowing. Fans love to adress players moving from teams because that team couldn't pull a winning roster, if these players wanted to win, they would seek to play with coaches like Pop or winning rosters, not the opposite way.

Many “star” FAs didn’t want any part of the accountability Pop demands. A lot of them wouldn’t dream of spirited off ball play and maximization of defensive effort. Frankly he can’t stand to be around those types so it worked out. Currently the makeup of players isn’t ideal with widespread dishonor of contracts and puppet master agents so we’ve seen considerable slippage of their standard. Kawhi’s departure was awful for the legacy of their dynasty but I don’t doubt Pop’s ability to adjust and be ahead of the curve once again. Gotta move LMA and Gay first tho.
svart
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,314
And1: 1,034
Joined: Jul 02, 2014
   

Re: Amazing Spurs stat that deserves its own thread 

Post#57 » by svart » Sun Aug 4, 2019 6:02 pm

GeorgeMarcus wrote:
Usual Suspects wrote:
GeorgeMarcus wrote:
Spoiler:
As an extension of my 21st century thread, I added up total wins (RS+PS) for every NBA team over the last 20 seasons. Mind you the Spurs won the Finals in 99 and were dominant throughout the 90s, none of which was included in the following data.

It probably won't surprise many people to learn that the Spurs came out on top in this experiment. What might/probably will surprise people is the margin of victory. To put things into perspective, the gap between the Spurs and #2 Mavs is greater than the gap between the Mavs and last place Knicks :o It's hard to even wrap my mind around that.

FWIW I excluded the Bobcats/modern Hornets because they only played 15 of the 20 seasons. If you extrapolate their average win total over that span it's actually less than the Knicks, but then this thread would be slightly less mind blowing.


Full results:
Spoiler:
1. SAS - 1387
2. DAL - 1038
3. LAL - 1016
4. MIA - 1008
5. BOS - 985
6. HOU - 981
7. OKC - 958 (includes SEA teams)
8. IND - 947
9. UTA - 922
10. GSW - 915
11. POR - 913
12. DET - 903
13. CLE - 881
14. DEN - 870
15 (tie). PHO - 860
15 (tie). TOR - 860
17. NOP - 813 (includes pre-Bobcat CHA teams)
18. LAC - 803
19. ORL - 798
20. MIL - 797
21. PHI - 786
22. CHI - 784
23. SAC - 775
24. MEM - 765
25. ATL - 760
26. BKN - 759
27. WAS - 719
28. MIN - 714
29. NYK - 690
30. CHA - 488 (over 15 seasons)


This is the kind of true fanatic stuff I come on this site for. Thank you for counting that stuff up, I enjoyed this post.


Don't mention it- I'm glad you enjoyed it :)


Good job, man. Maybe try it with only po games as well, should be interesting.
ThumbsUpBaby
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,379
And1: 8,168
Joined: Jan 05, 2013
   

Re: Amazing Spurs stat that deserves its own thread 

Post#58 » by ThumbsUpBaby » Sun Aug 4, 2019 10:48 pm

Honestly I'm so used to the Spurs winning and making the playoffs that I'll be in disbelief if they miss the playoffs one day. It's as if my mind is now built to believe that Spurs will never having a losing record.

As they say, gotta see it to believe it.
ThumbsUpBaby
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,379
And1: 8,168
Joined: Jan 05, 2013
   

Re: Amazing Spurs stat that deserves its own thread 

Post#59 » by ThumbsUpBaby » Sun Aug 4, 2019 10:54 pm

Pennebaker wrote:
Ballings7 wrote:
Pennebaker wrote:
And yet they could never repeat.

Regular season stuff is close to worthless.


Doesn't take away from their greatness, legacy, or elite and extensive success that is highly unique in sports and the NBA.


Its illusory. They were never as good as you thought they were. One year they win it all, the next year they're out in the first round.

Those teams had many first round exits. Hardly an example of excellence.


Lol, name me more than 3 teams who has more championships than them. As a matter of fact, name me 1 team who's won more championships than the Spurs the past 20 years.

Wait, you can't. I really hope you're not being serious.
User avatar
GeorgeMarcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 12,894
And1: 14,481
Joined: Jun 17, 2006
   

Re: Amazing Spurs stat that deserves its own thread 

Post#60 » by GeorgeMarcus » Sun Aug 4, 2019 10:56 pm

CoP wrote:Not sure what your Excel dataset includes, but if it resulted in a fundamental error like wins, you may want to double check your other insights. Good luck.


It didn’t “result in a fundamental error like wins”. I’m not even sure what that means. Just a data entry mistake that was easily corrected.
"In my hood, bullies get bullied." - Zach Randolph

The Legend of George Marcus

Return to The General Board