How good is DeAndre Ayton right now and later in his prime

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

What will be DeAndre Ayton prime

Poll ended at Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:12 am

Superstar
9%
All Star
53%
Starter
34%
Role Player
2%
Bust & Flop
2%

Total votes: 182

SlowPaced
RealGM
And1: 17,487

Re: How good is DeAndre Ayton right now and later in his prime 

Post#61 » by SlowPaced » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:46 pm

KAT-lite. Like KAT, his upside ultimately depends on his defense. I do think he's less hopeless (upside-wise) on that end though because of his superior athleticism.

All-Star, #2 player on a championship team seems like a good bet.
beeshma
Starter
And1: 1,762

Post#62 » by beeshma » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:35 pm

KyRo23 wrote:I wanted to vote allstar, but not #2 on a championship team. I think this needs one more option in the middle of 2 and 3.

Most all stars would be 4th best on a championship team. To be #2 on a championship team we're talking all-NBA, and perhaps HOF.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,047

Post#63 » by The_Hater » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:34 pm

The poll choices are ridiculous, there’s a pretty huge gap between ‘starter’ and ‘2nd best player on a championship team’. The latter category is generally made up superstars anyways.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Rich Michmond
Sixth Man
And1: 2,967
Location: российско-немецкий кондоминиум под еврейским доверительным управлением

Post#64 » by Rich Michmond » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:52 pm

Modern day Brad Daugherty
Gordon Haywood, Dwayne Wade, JJ Reddick, Derek Rose, Derrick Fisher, Lenny Wilkins, Kirk Heinrich, Oscar Robinson, DeMar DeRozen, Andre Iguadola, Pascal Siakim, Malcolm Brogdan
ThomYorke
Junior
And1: 876

Post#65 » by ThomYorke » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:28 am

Hilarious how people assume that what he produced in his rookie season will be how his entire career unfolds.
2LeTTeRS
Senior
And1: 463

Post#66 » by 2LeTTeRS » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:45 am

I was high on him predraft and thought that people ignored the fact that he missed a key year of development manning the post as a college player because his coach decided to play him as a 4. As a rookie I was generally impressed and all the criticism of his D made me even more of a fan. From my limited observation I definitely see some tools thant can make him special but think he really needs to be coached up. I think the future is bright; but not quite MVP bright.

I voted all-star; although to be fair if he is your 2nd best player on a championship winning team it would probably take one hell of a supporting cast around him.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,040

Post#67 » by Kobblehead » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:49 am

He projects pretty easily as an allstar.

I'm actually really looking forward to he and Towns getting to the playoffs so people who overvalue dunk and block Cs get a rude awakening.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,439

Post#68 » by zimpy27 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:04 am

I think he will make it to the All-Star team but not All-NBA.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
darmani
Sixth Man
And1: 2,724

Post#69 » by darmani » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:54 am

"Can’t talk basketball with everybody" - Devin Booker
rugbyrugger23
RealGM
And1: 1,336

Post#70 » by rugbyrugger23 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:40 am

Would any Suns’ fan entertain a Ayton for Towns trade? Of course one would have to expect the likes of Bridges and possibly more value would need to be added to get Wolves to bite.

What Suns would get?

A much better player ATM. A player very familiar with Rubio and even Saric — who happens to be Booker’s buddy (and college teammate). Towns is Ayton’s ceiling and Suns would be very happy in 2-3 years he hits Towns’ level — they get this 100% guaranteed with this trade (because Towns is there and proven commodity).

What Suns give up?

Any outside chance Ayton becomes better than Towns. His rookie contract. And any plus value it would take to trade for Towns.

Would a Towns | Booker duo be an instant top young NBA duo? Within the span of their 5 year locked in deals, would this duo (and supporting cast) attract another star player? More so than Booker | Ayton duo?
SlovenianDragon
Head Coach
And1: 11,023

Post#71 » by SlovenianDragon » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:56 am

rugbyrugger23 wrote:Would any Suns’ fan entertain a Ayton for Towns trade? Of course one would have to expect the likes of Bridges and possibly more value would need to be added to get Wolves to bite.

What Suns would get?

A much better player ATM. A player very familiar with Rubio and even Saric — who happens to be Booker’s buddy (and college teammate). Towns is Ayton’s ceiling and Suns would be very happy in 2-3 years he hits Towns’ level — they get this 100% guaranteed with this trade (because Towns is there and proven commodity).

What Suns give up?

Any outside chance Ayton becomes better than Towns. His rookie contract. And any plus value it would take to trade for Towns.

Would a Towns | Booker duo be an instant top young NBA duo? Within the span of their 5 year locked in deals, would this duo (and supporting cast) attract another star player? More so than Booker | Ayton duo?

I wouldnt trade Ayton for Kat straight up....Then u want mikal and possibly more? Na im good dawg. Ayton is gunna feast this year and every1 will realize why he went number 1.
kobyz
Rookie
And1: 270

Post#72 » by kobyz » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:56 am

Derrick Rose of centers
KingFox
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,581

Post#73 » by KingFox » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:10 am

umm really good starter. potential all star
In2ition
Senior
And1: 259

Post#74 » by In2ition » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:28 pm

gh123 wrote:Expect him to be a top 5 C next year. There isn't a lot competition after Biid, Jokic and KAT. Sometimes Cs take longer to develop ofc, but Rubio and Booker should be feeding him well and he might approach 20ppg if everything goes right.

All he has to do is get 2 more shots a game in scoring position. That doesn't seem all that hard.
In2ition
Senior
And1: 259

Post#75 » by In2ition » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:32 pm

VDT wrote:He doesnt create his shot and he doesnt have particularly good instincts defensively. That puts him a fair amount below the second player in a title team.

A general thing about centers nowadays, I think people fall too much in love with mobile rim running bigs and spend high picks on them disregarding the fact that that is a skillset of a roleplayers and that you can get similar players much lower in the draft. So yes such players can help the team but 1) their ceiling is low because they cant create b) they dont help the team win if they are on a large contract. In short they are replaceable players and the teams shouldnt make big investments on them pick or salary-wise.

So you're saying he's just a rim running big that can't create his own shot? I'm trying to understand your understanding of his game.
VDT
Analyst
And1: 2,106

Post#76 » by VDT » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:49 pm

In2ition wrote:
VDT wrote:He doesnt create his shot and he doesnt have particularly good instincts defensively. That puts him a fair amount below the second player in a title team.

A general thing about centers nowadays, I think people fall too much in love with mobile rim running bigs and spend high picks on them disregarding the fact that that is a skillset of a roleplayers and that you can get similar players much lower in the draft. So yes such players can help the team but 1) their ceiling is low because they cant create b) they dont help the team win if they are on a large contract. In short they are replaceable players and the teams shouldnt make big investments on them pick or salary-wise.

So you're saying he's just a rim running big that can't create his own shot? I'm trying to understand your understanding of his game.

He is not just a rim runner, i think he has also a respectable mid range shot. The thing though is that he needs to be assisted to score and he looked more like a finesse player at least from the highlight and the few games that i have seen. He doesnt strike me as a player that can anchor an offense, and usually the centers that can do that show it from their first year.

What i said about the rim runners was more general, although i feel that Ayton also was overdrafted. A center that doesnt anchor the offense or the defense is not worth the first pick. In fact i think that the only centers that deserve that are those that have the potential to do both. I wouldnt draft Gobert with the first pick either for example.

Ayton's skillset is more complemetary offensively, whether it will be roleplayer complementary or second star complementary will depend on his development but the lack of intensity in his game is a bad sign. Defensively though he needs to improve otherwise he doesnt help the team.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,040

Post#77 » by Kobblehead » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:11 pm

It seems like you're underselling his post skills.
Pop Daddy
Freshman
And1: 60

Post#78 » by Pop Daddy » Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:02 am

Im a fan, I put All star, I need to see his game take a big step for superstar
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM
And1: 40,482

Post#79 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:05 am

He should be an all-star even if he doesn't improve on defense, if he can improve defensively he has the tools to be a superstar.
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 9,986

Post#80 » by Lalouie » Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:41 am

phx had two more losses than the previous year. kinda in line with what arizona DIDN'T do with him in the lineup

Return to The General Board