How good is DeAndre Ayton right now and later in his prime

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

What will be DeAndre Ayton prime

Poll ended at Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:12 am

Superstar
9%
All Star
53%
Starter
34%
Role Player
2%
Bust & Flop
2%

Total votes: 182

Crives
General Manager
And1: 7,038

Re: How good is DeAndre Ayton right now and later in his prime 

Post#41 » by Crives » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:43 pm

Winsome Gerbil wrote:
Crives wrote:
SlovenianDragon wrote:
Ayton actually is a good passer

I think it’s very realistic to see Ayton average 4-5 assists next season... especially with all of the shooting we added (Saric/Cam/Jerome/Kaminsky/Baynes)

Rubio and Booker is a highly ball dominant guard tandem.

Deandre is largely a passer out of the post. Great skill, and one that sometimes is missed as being what separates the great from the Great post players. But he'd have to be getting a LOT of postups to average that many assists given how unlikely he is to be handling the ball out on the perimeter.

Rubio likes the ball but is happy settling teammates up instead of taking shots himself.

We passed on going after a ball dominant scoring guard like DLo for precisely this reason... to get Ayton the ball and increase his responsibility on the offensive end.
Buzzard
RealGM
And1: 7,522

Post#42 » by Buzzard » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:01 pm

Multiple All-Star but centers have a very small chance to win championships if they are the best player on their team. It is not a knock on Ayton, its just the nature of today's game.
BAF Pacers: Unleash Trae!

PG Ice Trae
SG Buddy Hield/Luke Kennard/Brandin Podziemski
SF OG Anunoby/Terrence Ross/Kris Murray
PF Richaun Holmes/JaMychal Green/Chris Livingston
C KAT/Mark Williams
E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,396
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Post#43 » by E-Balla » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:09 pm

Super Brad Daugherty. Great passer, uber efficient, he'll develop a 3 point shot, but his defense will probably always leave a lot to be desired.
Zombiesonics
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,213

Post#44 » by Zombiesonics » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:25 pm

he doesn't have any sort of instincts on defense to guard pnr or general help, this is a major issue for a 7 footer. he has great touch and can rebound but thats about it.
Kampuchea
RealGM
And1: 8,138

Post#45 » by Kampuchea » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:04 pm

KyRo23 wrote:I wanted to vote allstar, but not #2 on a championship team. I think this needs one more option in the middle of 2 and 3.

I voted all-star but I wished it didn't say #2 on a championship team.

The level below "starter" is no good as I see him as making all-star games. So I see him as an all-star who may not be good enough to be a number 2 on a title team
KyRo23
Lead Assistant
And1: 11,493

Post#46 » by KyRo23 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:32 pm

Kampuchea wrote:
KyRo23 wrote:I wanted to vote allstar, but not #2 on a championship team. I think this needs one more option in the middle of 2 and 3.

I voted all-star but I wished it didn't say #2 on a championship team.

The level below "starter" is no good as I see him as making all-star games. So I see him as an all-star who may not be good enough to be a number 2 on a title team

My thoughts exactly. I voted starter, just for the #2 thing even though I think all-star.
TheRealKaboom
Sixth Man
And1: 1,716

Post#47 » by TheRealKaboom » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:32 pm

oceanlife wrote:Are we talking fantasy team? DeAndre is going to be a top 5 player.

But when it comes to winning basketball games, DeAndre is going to be just good enough to make you a treadmill team in perpetuity.
Without steals or blocks, he'll never be top 5. Top 40 at the best.

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 20,681

Post#48 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:39 pm

Very good post player. Not sure if he will ever be consistent from 3, and I don't love his form, but he's not useless out there either. I think motor and defense are his biggest question marks.
antonac
Starter
And1: 2,192

Post#49 » by antonac » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:55 pm

The fact his shooting numbers were ben simmon-esque is a huge red flag.

This wasn't someone who disappointed with his shooting range, this was someone who played as if any sort of range was completely absent from his game. He only attempted 4 3-pointers the whole season and made none of them, it was only at under 14ft he displayed any sort of scoring ability at all.

Given his defense was extremely inconsistent as well I would not be betting on him becoming any sort of all-star. There's just not enough there for anything other than blind optimism to project him higher than a starter.
Crives
General Manager

Post#50 » by Crives » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:20 pm

antonac wrote:The fact his shooting numbers were ben simmon-esque is a huge red flag.

This wasn't someone who disappointed with his shooting range, this was someone who played as if any sort of range was completely absent from his game. He only attempted 4 3-pointers the whole season and made none of them, it was only at under 14ft he displayed any sort of scoring ability at all.

Given his defense was extremely inconsistent as well I would not be betting on him becoming any sort of all-star. There's just not enough there for anything other than blind optimism to project him higher than a starter.

?
There is a big difference between a pg not taking three’s and a rookie center.
antonac
Starter
And1: 2,192

Post#51 » by antonac » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:27 am

Crives wrote:
antonac wrote:The fact his shooting numbers were ben simmon-esque is a huge red flag.

?

Not if a lot Ayton's star potential was tied to his ability to stretch he floor. What is it that Ayton does that makes him a future all-star?

His scoring his simply average for his position, good post player with no range, and he's below average defensively.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#52 » by Topofthekey » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:39 am

Currently, he's an OK starter - not great, not terrible, but OK

As for where he'll end up, who knows?

But assuming he has what it takes to improve, and not be the next Wiggins, I'd say he'll end up being at least a fringe all star
Mulhollanddrive
RealGM
And1: 7,896

Post#53 » by Mulhollanddrive » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:19 am

At the moment Ayton plays like a ballerina because he's not as strong as some of the biggest mofos in the world.

Once he is he needs to have the desire to fight and impose himself and he can be anything - multiple All-Star.

If not he'll top out at Vucevic.
Pg81
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,661

Post#54 » by Pg81 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:27 am

I think he has the potential to become an all star at least, he has shown a lot of promise.
If you're asking me who the Mavs best player is, I'd say Luka. A guy like Delon Wright probably rivals his impact though at this stage in his career. KP may as well if he gets his **** together.
GeorgeMarcus, 17/11/2019
Crives
General Manager

Post#55 » by Crives » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:04 pm

antonac wrote:
Crives wrote:

?

Not if a lot Ayton's star potential was tied to his ability to stretch he floor. What is it that Ayton does that makes him a future all-star?

His scoring his simply average for his position, good post player with no range, and he's below average defensively.

How about start with Ayton being one of the most athletic centers ever?
7’1 with a 44 inch vertical
Then add in Ayton just had the most efficient rookie season for a center.. obviously he is going to be far above average in terms of scoring in the post. 3 pt shot is not needed but it would be nice.

On defense, Ayton has a long ways to go in terms of help / team defense. But he has the athleticism/ foot speed to guard the perimeter unlike most centers. Ayton actually did a great job guarding Lebron/Giannis 1-1 last year. In the future Ayton could be the suns answer to stopping the super wings of the league.
EliteSmarts
Pro Prospect
And1: 969

Post#56 » by EliteSmarts » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:49 pm

Most all stars are at minimum the 2nd best player on Championship. Hard to be all star if your #3 player on Championship team unless it's stacked. Even then, Bosh, Thompson, Green can be 2nd best player on Championship team.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,047

Post#57 » by The_Hater » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:13 pm

Crives wrote:Really excited to see Ayton with a real pg next season. Definitely potential to be a future mvp. Ayton is one of the most athletic bigs ever in the nba. 7’1 with a 44 inch vertical.... but still has an extremely soft touch.

I guess he does, it just won’t be in the NBA. ;)
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
JB2
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,075

Post#58 » by JB2 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:22 pm

XTC wrote:One of thr worst foul drawing bigs I’ve ever seen TBH.

It’s literally the ONLY thing that will hold him back from being All NBA in the future (assuming he never does draw fouls in the future)

How about maybe giving him more than one season before using superlatives like "I've ever seen"

?
XTC
Head Coach
And1: 6,129

Post#59 » by XTC » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:03 pm

JB2 wrote:
XTC wrote:One of thr worst foul drawing bigs I’ve ever seen TBH.

It’s literally the ONLY thing that will hold him back from being All NBA in the future (assuming he never does draw fouls in the future)

How about maybe giving him more than one season before using superlatives like "I've ever seen"

?

So we can't critique young players?

For a player of his physical gifts and size he's one of the worst foul drawing bigs.

Before you say I'm an Ayton hater, I'm really high on the kid. I think he has MVP potential, but a flaw is a flaw.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,822

Re: How good is DeAndre Ayton 

Post#60 » by HMFFL » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:37 pm

Ah, good to see that he's working on his range, and his form is good from that deep. Thank you
SlovenianDragon wrote:
HMFFL wrote:
ThomYorke wrote:He will be a top 5 centre
Which doesn't mean much considering the true big men aren't what teams are pursuing as much as of late.

Sent from my SM-N920P using RealGM mobile app

If you're talking about the 3 ball he will have it sooner rather than later...

this doesn't mean much but:

Crives wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

Saberestar wrote:
Read on Twitter

Sent from my SM-N920P using RealGM mobile app

Return to The General Board