How good is DeAndre Ayton right now and later in his prime

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

What will be DeAndre Ayton prime

Poll ended at Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:12 am

Superstar
9%
All Star
53%
Starter
34%
Role Player
2%
Bust & Flop
2%

Total votes: 182

Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 9,986

Re: How good is DeAndre Ayton right now and later in his prime 

Post#81 » by Lalouie » Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:42 am

SlowPaced wrote:KAT-lite. Like KAT, his upside ultimately depends on his defense. I do think he's less hopeless (upside-wise) on that end though because of his superior athleticism.

All-Star, #2 player on a championship team seems like a good bet.

KAT actually made minnie BETTER
Soulcatcher33
Veteran
And1: 2,758

Post#82 » by Soulcatcher33 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:49 am

Crives wrote:Really excited to see Ayton with a real pg next season. Definitely potential to be a future mvp. Ayton is one of the most athletic bigs ever in the nba. 7’1 with a 44 inch vertical.... but still has an extremely soft touch.

From what I've seen of Ayton I don't get where any of this "he's one of the most athletic bigs ever in the nba" and comparisons to David Robinson in that aspect come from. He's not even close to as agile, fast, quick, or explosive as Big Dave was. Also, how high you jump means a lot less than how quickly you get up ie explosiveness. There are plenty of guys who can put up a big jump, but that doesn't mean anything without some spring when you're playing basketball.
TheHartBreakKid
General Manager
And1: 4,208

Post#83 » by TheHartBreakKid » Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:51 am

Right now, he’s a very solid promising young player with some flaws....as far as starting centers go, I would probably categorize him as “average” but I expect him to be considered above average sooner than later.

In terms of his prime, I expect him to be an all star, but he certainly has superstar potential. He had a very solid rookie season that went under the radar due to luka imo. I wasn’t expecting anything more from him
Crives
General Manager
And1: 7,038

Post#84 » by Crives » Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:51 am

Soulcatcher33 wrote:
Crives wrote:Really excited to see Ayton with a real pg next season. Definitely potential to be a future mvp. Ayton is one of the most athletic bigs ever in the nba. 7’1 with a 44 inch vertical.... but still has an extremely soft touch.

From what I've seen of Ayton I don't get where any of this "he's one of the most athletic bigs ever in the nba" and comparisons to David Robinson in that aspect come from. He's not even close to as agile, fast, quick, or explosive as Big Dave was. Also, how high you jump means a lot less than how quickly you get up ie explosiveness. There are plenty of guys who can put up a big jump, but that doesn't mean anything without some spring when you're playing basketball.

Ayton has one of the highest verticals recorded for a 7 footer.... and Ayton is ~5 years away from his athletic peak. Ayton is definitely extremely quick and explosive. I think the Robinson comparisons have just as much to do with Aytons shooting/ touch around the rim as they do with the athleticism. Obviously Ayton has a long way to go if he wants to get anywhere close to Robinson... but Ayton is only 21 and he just had a very impressive season.

I’m not sure why you think Ayton’s athleticism is limited to his vertical. Probably the most impressive part of Ayton’s athleticism is his foot speed and ability to guard on the perimeter. The suns were surprisingly the only team to sweep the bucks last year... and the biggest reason was Ayton’s ability to guard and slow down Giannis 1-1 with his extreme athleticism. Ayton also did a great job on Lebron.. really excited to see if Ayton can develop into a superwing stopper over the next 2-4 years.

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#85 » by Illmatic12 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:15 am

When I watch Ayton, he is clearly highly athletic but he doesn't seem to have the same motor that a lot of all-time great bigs had.
That's the thing - it's not just about raw athleticism but how you use it, your motor and intensity level.

That's what made Robinson, young Shaq, young Dwight Howard, Embiid etc into such dominating forces. They had a high motor and were always physical, always trying to make an impact on the game. Even someone like Amare Stoudemire was more of a "live body" player. Ayton has the body to do those things, but on the inside he's probably more of a laidback big man like Lamarcus Aldridge. Which is fine and there's nothing wrong with that.. what makes LMA great is he knows who he is and never tries to go outside of his game.

Just my opinion, Ayton will still be a great player in this league and multiple All-Star but I don't believe you can change your inner make-up as a player. Best-case scenario for Ayton's style of play would be something like a Patrick Ewing minus the shotblocking.. which is still a great ceiling if he can reach for it.

Return to The General Board