Would 76ers swap Simmons for Doncic if they could?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Would 76ers swap Simmons for Doncic if they could?

Yes
87%
No
13%

Total votes: 718

Chi Dynasty12
Analyst
And1: 140

Re: Would 76ers swap Simmons for Doncic if they could? 

Post#241 » by Chi Dynasty12 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:18 pm

Doncic is in a different tier than Simmons, it's not even close.
Chicago Bears 2025 Super Bowl Champions
Buzzard
RealGM
And1: 7,522

Post#242 » by Buzzard » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:19 pm

Bob8 wrote:
Buzzard wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
May I remind you that voting is 327/59. I kinda doubt that we have that many Mavs fans here. ;)

Simmons with a shot + Embiid is multiple championship team easy. But...

They took the eventual Champs to 7 Games. I really don't think they need Doncic to contend. Simmons and Embiid have only played two seasons together, and they went to the playoffs both years. No one is breaking that up anytime soon. When Luka and Portzingis do something similar you will be just as thrilled about your team.

I have a gut feeling most GM's and VP's of NBA teams do not rely on popularity votes to help them make their major trade decisions. This is a popularity vote. Nothing more, nothing less. Perfect example of how skewed voting is: Lebron James has led the All Star Voting ballot for three straight seasons; yet he has not won the MVP votes since 2012-13. Two different votes, two different results, three straight years.

Take it with a grain of salt. These votes are a fun pastime but they really mean nothing.

They had impressive names, especially for the standards in the east.

Votes doesn’t mean anything, although Luka’s trade value is higher than Simmons’s in real life too. I mentioned votes only because of your comments how Mavs fans are unrealistic. It seems that vast majority of voters are totally unrealistic, if we go with your logic. But just maybe, Pg, who cannot shoot at all, is just less desirable than Pg with a daddy’s belly. ;) This ceiling stuff was always funny to me. People somehow believe that someone, who is shooting worse than 99.9% of Realgm users, will suddenly become average Nba shooter, but don’t believe that 6’8”, 230 player, can become average Nba athlete.

Fans is short for Fanatic. That in itself should explain a lot about fans, myself included. We are not just unrealistic, we are fanatically unrealistic. I am old and have seen a lot of hype and experienced a lot of disappointment, so I temper my expectations. I still have to check myself from time to time. There is no wrong way to be a fan. Support your team and enjoy the ride when it hits a high, and deal with the lows as they happen.
BAF Pacers: Unleash Trae!

PG Ice Trae
SG Buddy Hield/Luke Kennard/Brandin Podziemski
SF OG Anunoby/Terrence Ross/Kris Murray
PF Richaun Holmes/JaMychal Green/Chris Livingston
C KAT/Mark Williams
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,095

Post#243 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:21 pm

Of course they would.
Jabroni Lames
Analyst
And1: 3,899

Post#244 » by Jabroni Lames » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:24 pm

nurseryc wrote:
THE J0KER wrote:The big advantage of Simmons is that he is a point guard tall as a power forward, but once you create Embiid-Horford-Harris frontcourt lineup that is not so important, and after all, Luka is also tall for PG standards. This is a no-brainer, with Doncic able to play next two seasons under a rookie contract. Sixers should offer Simmons for Kemba or Fox if Celtics and Kings want to add some interesting 6th man option in Philadelphia (Bogdanovic?) or 2020 1st round pick.

This thread rapidly changes if Simmons outside game emerges this season

By outside game .... you mean 4-ft jumpshots?

Baby steps.
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,562

Post#245 » by Bob8 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:26 pm

Buzzard wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
Buzzard wrote:They took the eventual Champs to 7 Games. I really don't think they need Doncic to contend. Simmons and Embiid have only played two seasons together, and they went to the playoffs both years. No one is breaking that up anytime soon. When Luka and Portzingis do something similar you will be just as thrilled about your team.

I have a gut feeling most GM's and VP's of NBA teams do not rely on popularity votes to help them make their major trade decisions. This is a popularity vote. Nothing more, nothing less. Perfect example of how skewed voting is: Lebron James has led the All Star Voting ballot for three straight seasons; yet he has not won the MVP votes since 2012-13. Two different votes, two different results, three straight years.

Take it with a grain of salt. These votes are a fun pastime but they really mean nothing.

Votes doesn’t mean anything, although Luka’s trade value is higher than Simmons’s in real life too. I mentioned votes only because of your comments how Mavs fans are unrealistic. It seems that vast majority of voters are totally unrealistic, if we go with your logic. But just maybe, Pg, who cannot shoot at all, is just less desirable than Pg with a daddy’s belly. ;) This ceiling stuff was always funny to me. People somehow believe that someone, who is shooting worse than 99.9% of Realgm users, will suddenly become average Nba shooter, but don’t believe that 6’8”, 230 player, can become average Nba athlete.

Fans is short for Fanatic. That in itself should explain a lot about fans, myself included. We are not just unrealistic, we are fanatically unrealistic. I am old and have seen a lot of hype and experienced a lot of disappointment, so I temper my expectations. I still have to check myself from time to time. There is no wrong way to be a fan. Support your team and enjoy the ride when it hits a high, and deal with the lows as they happen.

You’re missing the point, most voters in this poll are not Luka’s fans.
Buzzard
RealGM

Post#246 » by Buzzard » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:27 pm

Bob8 wrote:
Buzzard wrote:
Bob8 wrote:

I think Luka is a very popular player and he is winning a popular vote.

PG Ice Trae
C KAT/Mark Williams
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,562

Post#247 » by Bob8 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:34 pm

Buzzard wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
Buzzard wrote:Fans is short for Fanatic. That in itself should explain a lot about fans, myself included. We are not just unrealistic, we are fanatically unrealistic. I am old and have seen a lot of hype and experienced a lot of disappointment, so I temper my expectations. I still have to check myself from time to time. There is no wrong way to be a fan. Support your team and enjoy the ride when it hits a high, and deal with the lows as they happen.

With 85%? It looks a bit too much to me.
Buzzard
RealGM

Post#248 » by Buzzard » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:50 pm

Bob8 wrote:
Buzzard wrote:
Bob8 wrote:

With 85%? It looks a bit too much to me.

There is a lot of bad opinions on the Sixers from their days of the process. I have seen it on the Hawks primary board multiple times. Some fans hate the process and I do mean hate. The Mavericks have no such bad reputation. Though Cuban did take a hit for his AAU comments but that hit was mostly from players and not fans. This is becoming almost political. its a vote, go figure :lol:

Back on topic and I have posted my thoughts already.
My answers, I don't think the Mavericks would consider it due to the contract differences. This trade would cost them Doncic and quite a few players. If Doncic and Simmons were both on their rookie deals, I don't think the Sixers do it.

PG Ice Trae
C KAT/Mark Williams
LeMasta
Veteran
And1: 2,194

Post#249 » by LeMasta » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:55 pm

here we go again with the golden boy of RealGM
Yuri Vaultin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14,276

Post#250 » by Yuri Vaultin » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:01 pm

LeMasta wrote:here we go again with the golden boy of RealGM

What an amazing contribution!

Either add to the discussion or keep your glib +1 fishing posts out of the discussion.

I'm amazed at how many people act as if winning MVP in the toughest, most competitive league outside of the NBA at 18 is common place. Then to win ROY and lead his team in how many stats? The hate is unreal.
Props to Turbo_Zone for the sig.
LeMasta
Veteran
And1: 2,194

Post#251 » by LeMasta » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:02 pm

Yuri Vaultin wrote:

Either add to the discussion or keep your glib +1 fishing posts out of the discussion.

I'm amazed at how many people act as if winning MVP in the toughest, most competitive league outside of the NBA at 18 is common place. Then to win ROY and lead his team in how many stats? The hate is unreal.

how is it hate? It's getting annoying how much hate has been directed at Ben Simmons all season with noone batting an eye, I make a slight remark about Doncic and people flag it as hate. It's not even directed at Doncic, moreso towards the people on this forum in general. Literally proving my point
Buzzard
RealGM

Post#252 » by Buzzard » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:17 pm

LeMasta wrote:
Yuri Vaultin wrote:

how is it hate? It's getting annoying how much hate has been directed at Ben Simmons all season with noone batting an eye, I make a slight remark about Doncic and people flag it as hate. It's not even directed at Doncic, moreso towards the people on this forum in general. Literally proving my point

I have been accused of hating Doncic; yet if you look at any post where I mentioned his soon to be accomplished floor, I use the phrase All-Star. There are some Luka fans that see calling him a future All Star but not agreeing with them on being a future MVP as hate. Others who think if you call him a future All-Star but are bold enough to point out he is not perfect ( his flaws ) that is also hate. I am also probably seen as a hater by some, simply because I like Simmons better. I am a fan of good defense as well as good offense; but that is hate in some peoples world.

I do my best to take it with a grain of salt. Fan is short for Fanatic. I just remind myself of that when reading the weekly Luka topic.

PG Ice Trae
C KAT/Mark Williams
koogiking
Veteran
And1: 1,080

Post#253 » by koogiking » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:26 pm

gh123 wrote:Doncic is younger, cheaper and a better player with a whole continent full of fans.

Ben Simmons doesn't have a continent full of fans? He is from Australia
Throwback24
RealGM
And1: 41,651

Post#254 » by Throwback24 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:29 pm

They'd swap him for Siakam if they could
Remember when’ is the lowest form of conversation.
SF_Warriors
General Manager
And1: 3,794

Post#255 » by SF_Warriors » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:46 pm

stormi wrote:
Pg81 wrote:
LloydFree wrote:Especially when the guy won't make the playoffs again this year.

What a disingenuous argument. Simmons was not the reason the 76ers went to the playoffs. You can swap Doncic with Simmons and the 76ers still make it to the playoffs just as well while Simmons now gets exposed harder than anyone else on that Mavs team because he has no answer for opponents clogging the paint and sagging off of him. He cannot even punish fouls because his FT percentage is barely above his FG percentage.

Two years ago Simmons was the best player on a team that won 16 games in a row to head into the playoffs while Embiid missed time to heal an eye injury, including securing home court advantage and the 3 seed from the Cavaliers in a duel against Lebron James. He then went and won playoff games as the best player on the team before Embiid came back and helped them blow the Heat out in the remaining two games.

And that's much more impressive than anything Luka did as a freshman.

Did embiid not play in any of those 16 games? How many teams out of 16 went to the playoffs that year? 3?

Still impressive ,especially the cleveland win, but lets not pretend like ben was the catalyst for all 16 or that it was an impressive stretch of opponents.
ConSarnit
Analyst
And1: 3,671

Post#256 » by ConSarnit » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:49 pm

You can disagree back and forth all day long who the better player is but I think most rational people would have them as pretty close in value. That being said the Sixers should absolutely do this trade on fit alone. It literally fills in every question mark they have (shot creation and 3pt shooting). Embiid, Horford and Richardson would be more than enough to hold down any defensive sacrifices you’d incur losing Simmons.
Buzzard
RealGM

Post#257 » by Buzzard » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:37 pm

ConSarnit wrote:You can disagree back and forth all day long who the better player is but I think most rational people would have them as pretty close in value. That being said the Sixers should absolutely do this trade on fit alone. It literally fills in every question mark they have (shot creation and 3pt shooting). Embiid, Horford and Richardson would be more than enough to hold down any defensive sacrifices you’d incur losing Simmons.

Horford is 33 and is a win now solution. His best days are probably closed in two short seasons, if not sooner. That will be just about the time everyone else starts hitting their peak, including Simmons.

I think you are barking up the wrong tree expecting Horford to help you with playoff runs defensively or offensively for the next five seasons or longer.

PG Ice Trae
C KAT/Mark Williams
Snotbubbles
Sixth Man
And1: 1,451

Post#258 » by Snotbubbles » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:41 pm

Chi Dynasty12 wrote:Doncic is in a different tier than Simmons, it's not even close.

Yeah, a lower one.
Snotbubbles
Sixth Man
And1: 1,451

Post#259 » by Snotbubbles » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:52 pm

SF_Warriors wrote:
stormi wrote:
Pg81 wrote:
What a disingenuous argument. Simmons was not the reason the 76ers went to the playoffs. You can swap Doncic with Simmons and the 76ers still make it to the playoffs just as well while Simmons now gets exposed harder than anyone else on that Mavs team because he has no answer for opponents clogging the paint and sagging off of him. He cannot even punish fouls because his FT percentage is barely above his FG percentage.

Two years ago Simmons was the best player on a team that won 16 games in a row to head into the playoffs while Embiid missed time to heal an eye injury, including securing home court advantage and the 3 seed from the Cavaliers in a duel against Lebron James. He then went and won playoff games as the best player on the team before Embiid came back and helped them blow the Heat out in the remaining two games.

And that's much more impressive than anything Luka did as a freshman.

Did embiid not play in any of those 16 games? How many teams out of 16 went to the playoffs that year? 3?

Still impressive ,especially the cleveland win, but lets not pretend like ben was the catalyst for all 16 or that it was an impressive stretch of opponents.

Embiid didn't play any of those 16 games he was out with an orbital fracture.
stormi
General Manager
And1: 7,687

Post#260 » by stormi » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:57 pm

TheAlchemist wrote:Doncic on the 76ers instead of Simmons, makes them a perennial tittle contender.

Between Embidd and Doncic, then Tobias Harris with Horford, ohhhh boy.

Sad Simmmons sucks balls.

You've been on here since 2010 and you still post like this?

how old are you Image

Return to The General Board