Would 76ers swap Simmons for Doncic if they could?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Would 76ers swap Simmons for Doncic if they could?

Yes
87%
No
13%

Total votes: 718

Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,863

Re: Would 76ers swap Simmons for Doncic if they could? 

Post#41 » by Curmudgeon » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:41 pm

Silly discussion because Dallas would never do it.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
nikster
RealGM
And1: 11,832

Post#42 » by nikster » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:41 pm

VDT wrote:I am no big fun of Simmons and Doncic is possibly the better fit for the Sixers but Doncic has become a bit overrated here. Was his rookie season better than Simmons? i am not so sure. Being a high usage player in a lottery team is not some legendary accomplishment, although it is still impressive for a rookie.

People keep mentioning Simmons shooting but Doncic's athleticism is not going to magically improve either, so its not only Simmons that has certain limitations in his game. Furthermore 3 point shooting is an important skill for everyone to have but it is much more important for the roleplayers that play off ball than the on ball players (unless they are able to shoot 3s off the dribble with a defender on them). A large part of the criticism Simmons faces comes from the fact that he plays with a better player in Embiid so his lack of shooting is emphasized more. If he were the best player on the team with the corresponding usage, i have a feeling that people would hold a much more favorable view of Simmons, probably more favorable than Doncic.

do you remember what happened in the Raptors series? Simmons was unable to create from the perimeter in the half court so they handed over ball handling duties to Jimmy Butler
SlowPaced
RealGM
And1: 17,487

Post#43 » by SlowPaced » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:55 pm

Of course they would. Doncic is a far better fit next to Embiid. They'd lose some defense, but their offensive upside would be far higher and they'd become a much more balanced team overall. They'd get their closer and quick problem solver on offense, too.
VDT
Analyst
And1: 2,106

Post#44 » by VDT » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:09 pm

nikster wrote:
VDT wrote:I am no big fun of Simmons and Doncic is possibly the better fit for the Sixers but Doncic has become a bit overrated here. Was his rookie season better than Simmons? i am not so sure. Being a high usage player in a lottery team is not some legendary accomplishment, although it is still impressive for a rookie.

People keep mentioning Simmons shooting but Doncic's athleticism is not going to magically improve either, so its not only Simmons that has certain limitations in his game. Furthermore 3 point shooting is an important skill for everyone to have but it is much more important for the roleplayers that play off ball than the on ball players (unless they are able to shoot 3s off the dribble with a defender on them). A large part of the criticism Simmons faces comes from the fact that he plays with a better player in Embiid so his lack of shooting is emphasized more. If he were the best player on the team with the corresponding usage, i have a feeling that people would hold a much more favorable view of Simmons, probably more favorable than Doncic.

do you remember what happened in the Raptors series? Simmons was unable to create from the perimeter in the half court so they handed over ball handling duties to Jimmy Butler

This is why i say that Doncic is overrated. It is true that the playoffs series against Toronto last season and against the Celtics the season before showed Simmons limitations. However Doncic hasnt even been to the playoffs let alone play against defenses like these.

If you remember in Simmons rookie seasons the Sixers won like the last 10 games without Embiid. Of course later Siimmons disappointed against Boston, but what i am trying to say is that it is easy to overrate players based on games at the end of the season or when playing in lottery teams.

Still Doncic is possibly a better fit for the Sixers but criticising Simmons for his performance against good playoff defenses when Doncic has never even been there is not fair. Again i am not sure if Doncic's rookie regular season was better than Simmons'.
leolozon
General Manager
And1: 7,755

Post#45 » by leolozon » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:10 pm

They wouldn't do it and it has nothing to do with who'll be better. Teams fall in love with their own player. It's too close of a call for the Sixers to want to trade THEIR young star. They also were close last year and Toronto and GSW just lost some big assets. So the league is as opened as it has been in the past few years. They should go for the ship next year and Simmons is a known commodity.
Misteclipse
Junior
And1: 375

Post#46 » by Misteclipse » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:11 pm

Simmons is better than Doncic at every aspect of basketball except shooting, and Doncic isn't a great shooter by any stretch of the imagination either. Obviously the Sixers wouldn't do this.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Oscar9992
Analyst
And1: 2,935

Post#47 » by Oscar9992 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:14 pm

In a heartbeat. Luka can become a superstar, while Ben most likely won't become cause of his lack of his scoring and shooting abilities.

He is no Giannis, he is no Prime Dwight or Shaq.
DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 8,566

Post#48 » by DreamTeam09 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:24 pm

Misteclipse wrote:Simmons is better than Doncic at every aspect of basketball except shooting, and Doncic isn't a great shooter by any stretch of the imagination either. Obviously the Sixers wouldn't do this.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

In a sport where the object is to put the ball in the net, and gives you a point advantage for doing it from further away, shooting the basketball should rank very high on your list lol.

And no Simmons doesn't do everything better than Luka, Luka is by far the superior offensive player

In Raptor Ball I Trust
eagereyez
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,462

Post#49 » by eagereyez » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:28 pm

Brand should be instantly fired if he ever turns down a Doncic for Simmons swap. Doncic is straight up the better player with a higher upside.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using RealGM mobile app
Jadoogar
RealGM
And1: 14,719

Post#50 » by Jadoogar » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:28 pm

TheNG wrote:Not only they would swap Simmons for Doncic, they would probably also swap Embiid for Doncic.

Hmm i don't know about that. Embiid is a top 10 player in the league. Obviously the injuries are a concern but it's hard to trade a top 10 player for a (very good) prospect.
ATRAIN53
Head Coach
And1: 2,560

Post#51 » by ATRAIN53 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:33 pm

I think the list of guys Cuban would trade Luka for is very small.

Like Khawi, AD and maybe?

Luka is 2 years younger than Simmons.

Luka was a 19 year old ROOKIE averaging almost 7 FTA per game.
70% from the stripe.

You know why Simmons averaged 5 FTA per game?
Becuse he's a 50% shoooter. You hack that kid and make him earn it.

Luka plays a complete game, shows leadership and he's not even legal drinking age.

It's Lukas NBA and were just watching it now :nod:
nikster
RealGM
And1: 11,832

Post#52 » by nikster » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:39 pm

VDT wrote:
nikster wrote:

This is why i say that Doncic is overrated. It is true that the playoffs series against Toronto last season and against the Celtics the season before showed Simmons limitations. However Doncic hasnt even been to the playoffs let alone play against defenses like these.

If you remember in Simmons rookie seasons the Sixers won like the last 10 games without Embiid. Of course later Siimmons disappointed against Boston, but what i am trying to say is that it is easy to overrate players based on games at the end of the season or when playing in lottery teams.

Still Doncic is possibly a better fit for the Sixers but criticising Simmons for his performance against good playoff defenses when Doncic has never even been there is not fair. Again i am not sure if Doncic's rookie regular season was better than Simmons'.

thats fine, im just disputing your bolded statement that outside shooting isnt as important for on ball players. Raptors exposed Simmons and Giannis lack of shooting in consecutive series
Oscar9992
Analyst
And1: 2,935

Post#53 » by Oscar9992 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:11 pm

ATRAIN53 wrote:I think the list of guys Cuban would trade Luka for is very small.

Like Khawi, AD and maybe?

Luka is 2 years younger than Simmons.

Luka was a 19 year old ROOKIE averaging almost 7 FTA per game.
70% from the stripe.

You know why Simmons averaged 5 FTA per game?
Becuse he's a 50% shoooter. You hack that kid and make him earn it.

Luka plays a complete game, shows leadership and he's not even legal drinking age.

It's Lukas NBA and were just watching it now :nod:

Actually 3 years younger. Luka was born in 1999 and he is 20, Ben was born 1996 and he is 23 right now.
drosereturn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,495

Post#54 » by drosereturn » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:16 pm

Doncic mom > Simmons
Lamelo will be a future superstar Bull. Book it. Lavar for president!
VDT
Analyst
And1: 2,106

Post#55 » by VDT » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:16 pm

nikster wrote:
VDT wrote:
nikster wrote:do you remember what happened in the Raptors series? Simmons was unable to create from the perimeter in the half court so they handed over ball handling duties to Jimmy Butler

thats fine, im just disputing your bolded statement that outside shooting isnt as important for on ball players. Raptors exposed Simmons and Giannis lack of shooting in consecutive series

Well it is true. A roleplayer, who is not a center, that doesnt shoot would be out of the rotation meanwhile Giannis just won the MVP award.

Even for on ball players it is important because the defender can give them space and pack the paint but to me 3 point shooting still is largely an off ball skill mostly utilized by roleplayers who naturally play off ball. Until the on ball player is able to shot off the dribble while being defended, like Harden is trying to do with his stepbacks, improved 3 point shooting, assuming it is decent and not like Simmons, will only help him when he is open which is not very often. On the other hand a roleplayer going from an above average to elite shooter could mean a ten year longer career and tens of million of dollars more.

What i am trying to say is that it is true that better 3 point shooting never hurts even for stars and it would help Simmons significantly because his complete lack of shooting significantly limits his game. But a lot of the criticism comes from the fact that Simmons plays with a better player who requires good spacing to function. If he had his own team he would likely be seen differently, Lebron and Giannis after all became superstars while being bad shooters. Conversely they too would likely have been criticized much more heavily for their bad shooting had they played with a center that was a better player than them and required spacing to operate.
UnbelievablyRAW
Analyst
And1: 3,658

Post#56 » by UnbelievablyRAW » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:34 pm

Even if you think Doncic is overrated, he is already better than Simmons. There is almost no situation I'd rather have Simmons than Doncic at point
"Above average role player is now being paid like a superstar from one good playoff series. This will end up as one of the worst contracts in the league." paulbball on Pascal Siakam
antonac
Starter
And1: 2,196

Post#57 » by antonac » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:03 pm

No, Simmons is currently definitely the better player but Doncic has only given the Mavericks reason to believe their most optimistic projections for him are correct.
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,492

Post#58 » by dhsilv2 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:20 pm

Just ridiculous that people think Donic is already better than Simmons. 76ers absolutely have to think about this if they get the call, but I'd be willing to bet they'd stick with simmons.
Joest2003
Analyst
And1: 1,234

Post#59 » by Joest2003 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:37 pm

I dont think there are many players GMS wouldn't give up for Luka. Dude will be a superstar for the next 10 years if be can stay healthy
IgorK
Veteran
And1: 4,786

Post#60 » by IgorK » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:42 pm

Why would Dallas even think of offering this? Luka is already more exciting and skilled.
"You want me to own a team and deal with these rich, spoiled stubborn athletes, and try to get them to perform? No thank you." - Kobe

AMG

Return to The General Board