Who is more over-rated than Lemarcus Aldridge?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, Yuri Vaultin, Domejandro, zimpy27, bwgood77, BombsquadSammy, PockyCandy, Prez

User avatar
jazzfan1971
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 36,448
And1: 4,979
Joined: Jul 16, 2001
Location: Salt Lake City

Who is more over-rated than Lemarcus Aldridge? 

Post#1 » by jazzfan1971 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:10 pm

I don't get the love for LA. An All-Star (IN THE WEST) last year. I just got out of a thread where he was called a defensive anchor.

To my eye he is a mid-range shooting albatross that doesn't play much defense. ESPN RPM has him ranked as the 20th center in the league. I agree with ESPN. I don't see why he was an All-Star last year, and I don't see why he's on the list of potential guys for the top 25 players in the league here on the general board.

Must be something to do with counting stats.

Anyway, Who do you think is the most over-rated player in the league? Less deserving of being an All-Star or on an all NBA team?

Who you got?
"Thibs called back and wanted more picks," said Jorge Sedano. "And Pat Riley, literally, I was told, called him a mother-bleeper and hung up the phone."
shtolky
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,852
And1: 4,325
Joined: Apr 15, 2005

Re: Who is more over-rated than Lemarcus Aldridge? 

Post#2 » by shtolky » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:20 pm

I would say off the top of my head that Tatum is the most overrated player in the league, simply due to how he's referred by some as the next big thing. He was very good in the playoffs his rookie season and that performance has seemingly given him this status that I don't think he's earned yet. He's a very good player, but I'm not sure he's more than that, certainly not a perennial all-star like some have said he will be.
Colbinii
RealGM
Posts: 12,908
And1: 6,498
Joined: Feb 13, 2013

Re: Who is more over-rated than Lemarcus Aldridge? 

Post#3 » by Colbinii » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:21 pm

LaMarcus Aldridge is more overrated than Lemercus Aldridge and his other cousin Lomercus Aldridge.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.


penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.


E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.
Colbinii
RealGM
Posts: 12,908
And1: 6,498
Joined: Feb 13, 2013

Re: Who is more over-rated than Lemarcus Aldridge? 

Post#4 » by Colbinii » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:22 pm

jazzfan1971 wrote:I don't get the love for LA. An All-Star (IN THE WEST) last year. I just got out of a thread where he was called a defensive anchor.

To my eye he is a mid-range shooting albatross that doesn't play much defense. ESPN RPM has him ranked as the 20th center in the league. I agree with ESPN. I don't see why he was an All-Star last year, and I don't see why he's on the list of potential guys for the top 25 players in the league here on the general board.

Must be something to do with counting stats.

Anyway, Who do you think is the most over-rated player in the league? Less deserving of being an All-Star or on an all NBA team?

Who you got?


It has nothing to do with counting stats. It has to do with him being great at defending the rim [defensive FG%] and his teams generally being much better defensively with him on the court than with him on the bench.

In fact counting stats (DBPM, DWS) always underrate him.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.


penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.


E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.
Colbinii
RealGM
Posts: 12,908
And1: 6,498
Joined: Feb 13, 2013

Re: Who is more over-rated than Lemarcus Aldridge? 

Post#5 » by Colbinii » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:25 pm

shtolky wrote:I would say off the top of my head that Tatum is the most overrated player in the league, simply due to how he's referred by some as the next big thing. He was very good in the playoffs his rookie season and that performance has seemingly given him this status that I don't think he's earned yet. He's a very good player, but I'm not sure he's more than that, certainly not a perennial all-star like some have said he will be.


Tatum is really only overrated by a few Celtics fans and even that is more about "He will be a superstar" versus "He already is a superstar".

I think RealGM generally does a good job of player assessment. I think Kawhi and Giannis are a little overrated but nothing major. I have seen Klay Thompson get overrated as well. Some people overrate the 90s as a whole but for the most part, as I said above, the community is filled with relatively intelligent people which spills over well to basketball assessment and analysis.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.


penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.


E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.
BFRESH44
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
Posts: 5,350
And1: 5,125
Joined: Mar 25, 2007
Location: Coral Gables

Re: Who is more over-rated than Lemarcus Aldridge? 

Post#6 » by BFRESH44 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:26 pm

There's nothing overrated about him. He's been a very good player for over a decade now. He'll be a borderline hall of fame guy when his career is over.
User avatar
UcanUwill
RealGM
Posts: 14,593
And1: 9,463
Joined: Aug 07, 2011
   

Re: Who is more over-rated than Lemarcus Aldridge? 

Post#7 » by UcanUwill » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:32 pm

Nikola Vucevic
BNM
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,418
And1: 1,544
Joined: Jun 28, 2016

Re: Who is more over-rated than Lemarcus Aldridge? 

Post#8 » by BNM » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:41 pm

Who is more overrated? Kyle Kuzma, by himself, by Laker fans and by casual fans who only look at scoring average and not efficiency, his weak rebounding and non-existent defense.

Aldridge had a great season in 2017-18 (7th in RPM and 5th in RPM/Wins), when Kawhi decided to take a 72 game + playoffs paid vacation. He slipped a little bit last season, but was still solid. He may shoot a lot of mid-range jumpers, but his 2FG% and TS% are still above league average (.528 and .579).
User avatar
PockyCandy
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 8,160
And1: 15,879
Joined: Jan 27, 2015
Location: Making videos that you watch
     

Re: Who is more over-rated than Lemarcus Aldridge? 

Post#9 » by PockyCandy » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:42 pm

Colbinii wrote:I think RealGM generally does a good job of player assessment. I think Kawhi and Giannis are a little overrated but nothing major. I have seen Klay Thompson get overrated as well. Some people overrate the 90s as a whole but for the most part, as I said above, the community is filled with relatively intelligent people which spills over well to basketball assessment and analysis.


As a moderator on this board, I'd respectfully disagree with your opinion. The amount of trolls who post only to get a rise out of someone else has increased exponentially since I joined in 2015.
Image

My Youtube Channel. The #1 place to watch highlights of classic running-backs AND forgotten NBA legends:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRCZ96IaHDaW8xr5TZq3GUQ
BIG Game
Rookie
Posts: 1,156
And1: 272
Joined: May 08, 2011

Re: Who is more over-rated than Lemarcus Aldridge? 

Post#10 » by BIG Game » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:44 pm

Say whatever you want about LA but take this into consideration he's made the playoffs 70% of his time in the league. On top of that he's been your 1A/1B on all of those teams. List 25 other guys that have done that since 06.

Other bit of triva, the Bulls traded him for Tyrus Thomas ..........
MGB8
RealGM
Posts: 15,135
And1: 1,356
Joined: Jul 20, 2001
Location: Philly

Re: Who is more over-rated than Lemarcus Aldridge? 

Post#11 » by MGB8 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:48 pm

Colbinii wrote:
jazzfan1971 wrote:I don't get the love for LA. An All-Star (IN THE WEST) last year. I just got out of a thread where he was called a defensive anchor.

To my eye he is a mid-range shooting albatross that doesn't play much defense. ESPN RPM has him ranked as the 20th center in the league. I agree with ESPN. I don't see why he was an All-Star last year, and I don't see why he's on the list of potential guys for the top 25 players in the league here on the general board.

Must be something to do with counting stats.

Anyway, Who do you think is the most over-rated player in the league? Less deserving of being an All-Star or on an all NBA team?

Who you got?


It has nothing to do with counting stats. It has to do with him being great at defending the rim [defensive FG%] and his teams generally being much better defensively with him on the court than with him on the bench.

In fact counting stats (DBPM, DWS) always underrate him.


Yup. If anything, LaMarcus Aldridge has become underrated. He's good for 22-24 ppg along with 8-10 rpg and 1 to 1.5 blocks on pretty good efficiency (.56-.58 TS) with a decent to good defensive metrics (noting that his defensive metrics were down last season).

At 34 years old, he isn't as mobile as he once was, so that hurts him, but he deserved all-star consideration for the past decade.
BIG Game
Rookie
Posts: 1,156
And1: 272
Joined: May 08, 2011

Re: Who is more over-rated than Lemarcus Aldridge? 

Post#12 » by BIG Game » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:49 pm

BFRESH44 wrote:There's nothing overrated about him. He's been a very good player for over a decade now. He'll be a borderline hall of fame guy when his career is over.


He should for sure get in. He has 3-4 more years left in him, and if he can get a ring somehow its a lock.
User avatar
jazzfan1971
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 36,448
And1: 4,979
Joined: Jul 16, 2001
Location: Salt Lake City

Re: Who is more over-rated than Lemarcus Aldridge? 

Post#13 » by jazzfan1971 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:54 pm

I wouldn't put him in the HOF. But, then the HOF has a bunch of guys I wouldn't have put in.
"Thibs called back and wanted more picks," said Jorge Sedano. "And Pat Riley, literally, I was told, called him a mother-bleeper and hung up the phone."
User avatar
Bologna Smasher
Starter
Posts: 2,105
And1: 2,742
Joined: Feb 08, 2007
 

Re: Who is more over-rated than Lemarcus Aldridge? 

Post#14 » by Bologna Smasher » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:58 pm

Still can't believe Bryan Colangelo picked Bargnani over him in the draft. Bosh and Aldridge would've been a nightmare for other teams to deal with. Bulls and Raptors both dropped the ball on him when it should've been an easy pick.
User avatar
RCM88x
RealGM
Posts: 12,737
And1: 17,150
Joined: May 31, 2015
Location: Lebron Ball
     

Re: Who is more over-rated than Lemarcus Aldridge? 

Post#15 » by RCM88x » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:58 pm

He's become the DeMar DeRozan of Power Forwards.
LookToShoot wrote:Melo is the only player that makes the Rockets watchable for the basketball purists. Otherwise it would just be three point shots and pick n roll.


Phinsoverpats wrote:I bet the cavs really miss Andrew Wiggins....
gh123
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,599
And1: 1,069
Joined: Feb 17, 2016
   

Re: Who is more over-rated than Lemarcus Aldridge? 

Post#16 » by gh123 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:00 pm

Ben Rubio
"Luka won't translate to the NBA"
"Trae was the right pick"
Kobblehead
RealGM
Posts: 26,432
And1: 11,278
Joined: Apr 15, 2010
 

Re: Who is more over-rated than Lemarcus Aldridge? 

Post#17 » by Kobblehead » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:02 pm

jazzfan1971 wrote:To my eye he is a mid-range shooting albatross that doesn't play much defense.


He's got flaws in his game, but there's something to be said for him having 9 playoff appearances in the Western Conference. All of which he was either the man or 2nd banana.

Aldridge is to be respected.
Colbinii
RealGM
Posts: 12,908
And1: 6,498
Joined: Feb 13, 2013

Re: Who is more over-rated than Lemarcus Aldridge? 

Post#18 » by Colbinii » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:07 pm

PockyCandy wrote:
Colbinii wrote:I think RealGM generally does a good job of player assessment. I think Kawhi and Giannis are a little overrated but nothing major. I have seen Klay Thompson get overrated as well. Some people overrate the 90s as a whole but for the most part, as I said above, the community is filled with relatively intelligent people which spills over well to basketball assessment and analysis.


As a moderator on this board, I'd respectfully disagree with your opinion. The amount of trolls who post only to get a rise out of someone else has increased exponentially since I joined in 2015.


I spend a majority of my time on the PC Board so I'm biased.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.


penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.


E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.
BIG Game
Rookie
Posts: 1,156
And1: 272
Joined: May 08, 2011

Re: Who is more over-rated than Lemarcus Aldridge? 

Post#19 » by BIG Game » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:08 pm

RCM88x wrote:He's become the DeMar DeRozan of Power Forwards.


Better player LA or K.Love?
User avatar
jazzfan1971
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 36,448
And1: 4,979
Joined: Jul 16, 2001
Location: Salt Lake City

Re: Who is more over-rated than Lemarcus Aldridge? 

Post#20 » by jazzfan1971 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:10 pm

Kobblehead wrote:
jazzfan1971 wrote:To my eye he is a mid-range shooting albatross that doesn't play much defense.


He's got flaws in his game, but there's something to be said for him having 9 playoff appearances in the Western Conference. All of which he was either the man or 2nd banana.

Aldridge is to be respected.


This is hard for me because I attribute most of that to Pop. That is I could imagine the Spurs also making all those runs if they had replaced Aldridge with someone like maybe Zach Randolph instead.
"Thibs called back and wanted more picks," said Jorge Sedano. "And Pat Riley, literally, I was told, called him a mother-bleeper and hung up the phone."

Return to The General Board