Who is more over-rated than Lemarcus Aldridge?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

ken6199
Forum Mod - Rockets
Forum Mod - Rockets
And1: 18,557

Re: Who is more over-rated than Lemarcus Aldridge? 

Post#21 » by ken6199 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:12 pm

BNM wrote:Who is more overrated? Kyle Kuzma, by himself, by Laker fans and by casual fans who only look at scoring average and not efficiency, his weak rebounding and non-existent defense.

Aldridge had a great season in 2017-18 (7th in RPM and 5th in RPM/Wins), when Kawhi decided to take a 72 game + playoffs paid vacation. He slipped a little bit last season, but was still solid. He may shoot a lot of mid-range jumpers, but his 2FG% and TS% are still above league average (.528 and .579).

Kuzma is not being overrated, because the majority don't rate him as high as that 3rd star in LA. He is just an average efficiency player who outlasted Ball and Ingram because he is the worst of the three and on a minimum impact contract. Kuzma also started to talk a lot lately which gives the wrong impression of overrating, but it's more him highly rating himself as well as showing an outburst of confidence.

Kawhi on the other hand is really getting overrated here. There are Kawhi vs MJ talks. Talks about him being the best player in the league. The guy was 5-6 spots away from KD a year ago now after an impressive post season run, people forgot all KD did in his career and start saying Kawhi has had a better career than KD so far and he is better than all those MVPs below him who all have 1 or 2 skills better than him with better health and endurance.
RealGM loves you, Melissa.
Danny1616
General Manager
And1: 12,725

Post#22 » by Danny1616 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:13 pm

I'd have to say Lamarcus Aldridge might be more over-rated than Lemarcus Aldridge, but I'm not sure.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,080

Post#23 » by Kobblehead » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:15 pm

jazzfan1971 wrote:This is hard for me because I attribute most of that to Pop. That is I could imagine the Spurs also making all those runs if they had replaced Aldridge with someone like maybe Zach Randolph instead.

Perhaps, but 5 of Aldridge's 9 appearances occurred in Portland before he even linked up with Pop. I think there's enough establishment there to just conclude that LaMarcus is a winning player, despite a playstyle and skillset that wouldn't suggest it, on the surface level.
RCM88x
RealGM
And1: 18,968

Post#24 » by RCM88x » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:15 pm

BIG Game wrote:
RCM88x wrote:He's become the DeMar DeRozan of Power Forwards.

Better player LA or K.Love?

Guess it depends. Love probably has a higher ceiling as a player if you can cover his defense, but is less portable (and I hate that word). LMA is a better all around player but theoretically has a more narrow offensive game.

Hard to say really.

LookToShoot wrote:Melo is the only player that makes the Rockets watchable for the basketball purists. Otherwise it would just be three point shots and pick n roll.
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA
And1: 24,255

Post#25 » by cupcakesnake » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:17 pm

love the guys on here who just check on espn's RPM stats (without understanding what that stat even is) and use it whenever it suits them.

Aldridge isn't underrated. His game isn't sexy, and at this point he's just a bordernline all-star in a crowded West. This season he was far and away the best player (led the team in scoring, rebounding, PER, VORP, offensive and defensive win shares) on a 48 win team in the blood bath Western Conference. The Spurs were a low talent team, woefully short on shooting. Pop was able to build a 48 win team around Aldridge. He's like 80% of Marc Gasol or Al Horford (in terms of versatility and defense), but if you added high volume scoring and strong rebounding. His post game stretches out to midrange, and he can bail out a possession if Pop's magic doesn't generate a good look. If anything he's underrated at this point. Pretty much a 20 and 10 guy with rim protection, smarts and shooting.

At this point, calling a guy overrated is pretty much just saying: I don't understand basketball enough to understand why this guy is good.
"Being in my home. I was watching pokemon for 5 hours."

Co-hosting with Harry Garris at The Underhand Freethrow Podcast
pootbrah
Bench Warmer
And1: 897

Post#26 » by pootbrah » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:18 pm

Overrated and Aldridge.... Never did I think I'd see the day
VanWest82
RealGM
And1: 17,673

Post#27 » by VanWest82 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:33 pm

This thread only serves to prove how underrated LMA really is. Him and Horford are the two co-captains for the underrated all stars. Lowry and Derozan are their guards. All LaMarcus Aldridge does is win. He gets tough buckets and even though he's lost a step he's still positionally sound defensively.
DoItALL9
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,272

Post#28 » by DoItALL9 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:51 pm

VanWest82 wrote:This thread only serves to prove how underrated LMA really is. Him and Horford are the two co-captains for the underrated all stars. Lowry and Derozan are their guards. All LaMarcus Aldridge does is win. He gets tough buckets and even though he's lost a step he's still positionally sound defensively.
Gotta underrated small forward to add with this crew? This would be a fun team to watch I think.

Sent from my LM-G710 using RealGM mobile app
BNM
Analyst
And1: 4,198

Post#29 » by BNM » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:13 pm

DoItALL9 wrote:
VanWest82 wrote:This thread only serves to prove how underrated LMA really is. Him and Horford are the two co-captains for the underrated all stars. Lowry and Derozan are their guards. All LaMarcus Aldridge does is win. He gets tough buckets and even though he's lost a step he's still positionally sound defensively.
Gotta underrated small forward to add with this crew? This would be a fun team to watch I think.

Robert Covington.
Indomitable
RealGM
And1: 5,406

Post#30 » by Indomitable » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:30 pm

jazzfan1971 wrote:I don't get the love for LA. An All-Star (IN THE WEST) last year. I just got out of a thread where he was called a defensive anchor.

To my eye he is a mid-range shooting albatross that doesn't play much defense. ESPN RPM has him ranked as the 20th center in the league. I agree with ESPN. I don't see why he was an All-Star last year, and I don't see why he's on the list of potential guys for the top 25 players in the league here on the general board.

Must be something to do with counting stats.

Anyway, Who do you think is the most over-rated player in the league? Less deserving of being an All-Star or on an all NBA team?

Who you got?

Donovan Mitchell avg TS and Per. At best he is a top 25 player at best.
Gordon Heyward well he is not a top 40 player now

No one ever talks about LA. Those 2 were all the rage.
:banghead:
VanWest82
RealGM
And1: 17,673

Post#31 » by VanWest82 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:17 pm

BNM wrote:
DoItALL9 wrote:

Robert Covington.

Joe Ingles and Rudy Gay are good candidates too though Covington might be the better fit because he's strictly 3+D. You could make an all underrated team with just Spurs players.
Baski
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,950

Post#32 » by Baski » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:19 pm

jazzfan1971 wrote:I don't get the love for LA. An All-Star (IN THE WEST) last year. I just got out of a thread where he was called a defensive anchor.

To my eye he is a mid-range shooting albatross that doesn't play much defense. ESPN RPM has him ranked as the 20th center in the league. I agree with ESPN. I don't see why he was an All-Star last year, and I don't see why he's on the list of potential guys for the top 25 players in the league here on the general board.

Anyway, Who do you think is the most over-rated player in the league? Less deserving of being an All-Star or on an all NBA team?

Who you got?

What love? Is Aldridge even rated around here? I don't think there were 9 frontcourt players more deserving of being an All star in the West than him. He's never been called the best anything so I don't see the overrating.

Imo Kyrie, Westbrook, Davis, Curry and Kawhi (uh oh) are all more overrated than Aldridge is, if he is at all.
ChettheJet
Head Coach
And1: 1,913

Post#33 » by ChettheJet » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:13 pm

BIG Game wrote:Say whatever you want about LA but take this into consideration he's made the playoffs 70% of his time in the league. On top of that he's been your 1A/1B on all of those teams. List 25 other guys that have done that since 06.

Other bit of triva, the Bulls traded him for Tyrus Thomas ..........

To be accurate, the Bulls wanted Tyrus Thomas and traded picks with Portland, Lomorcose was never going to be a Bull. Unfortunately the Bulls vastly overrated Comatose Thomas who almost all will agree never should have been a Bull Whatever you think of Aldridge, Portland and I rated him higher than Thomas and we were proven right.
KyRo23
Lead Assistant
And1: 11,691

Post#34 » by KyRo23 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:19 pm

Going to have to go with LEMURcus Aldridge on this one. He was only good on Zoboomafoo
LakersSoul
Head Coach
And1: 4,486

Post#35 » by LakersSoul » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:25 pm

Who you got?

More overrated?
LMA’s teammate DeMar DeRozan.

"Westy, LeBron + AD to rule the West.
Return of the King, the Lakers."
NBAFan93
RealGM
And1: 14,221

Post#36 » by NBAFan93 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:27 pm

BNM wrote:Who is more overrated? Kyle Kuzma, by himself, by Laker fans and by casual fans who only look at scoring average and not efficiency, his weak rebounding and non-existent defense.

Aldridge had a great season in 2017-18 (7th in RPM and 5th in RPM/Wins), when Kawhi decided to take a 72 game + playoffs paid vacation. He slipped a little bit last season, but was still solid. He may shoot a lot of mid-range jumpers, but his 2FG% and TS% are still above league average (.528 and .579).

This is pretty much exactly what I was going to say.

There is no player in the NBA more overrated than Kyle Kuzma ATM.
BIG Game
Rookie
And1: 272

Post#37 » by BIG Game » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:33 pm

ChettheJet wrote:
BIG Game wrote:Say whatever you want about LA but take this into consideration he's made the playoffs 70% of his time in the league. On top of that he's been your 1A/1B on all of those teams. List 25 other guys that have done that since 06.

Other bit of triva, the Bulls traded him for Tyrus Thomas ..........

To be accurate, the Bulls wanted Tyrus Thomas and traded picks with Portland, Lomorcose was never going to be a Bull. Unfortunately the Bulls vastly overrated Comatose Thomas who almost all will agree never should have been a Bull Whatever you think of Aldridge, Portland and I rated him higher than Thomas and we were proven right.

I wanted LA at the time, but I get that we fell in love with Thomas Athletaism and potential. But looking back how good would we have been with:

Kirk
Air Gordon
Deng
LA
Ben Wallace
XxIronChainzxX
RealGM
And1: 7,659

Post#38 » by XxIronChainzxX » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:40 pm

ken6199 wrote:

Kuzma is not being overrated, because the majority don't rate him as high as that 3rd star in LA. He is just an average efficiency player who outlasted Ball and Ingram because he is the worst of the three and on a minimum impact contract. Kuzma also started to talk a lot lately which gives the wrong impression of overrating, but it's more him highly rating himself as well as showing an outburst of confidence.

Kawhi on the other hand is really getting overrated here. There are Kawhi vs MJ talks. Talks about him being the best player in the league. The guy was 5-6 spots away from KD a year ago now after an impressive post season run, people forgot all KD did in his career and start saying Kawhi has had a better career than KD so far and he is better than all those MVPs below him who all have 1 or 2 skills better than him with better health and endurance.

The guy was 5-6 spots from KD because people forgot how good he was. In 2016-2017 he was an absolute monster and deserved MVP. Obviously some of the stanning has gotten out of control but I think his peak is right there with KD. His body isn't and that's the difference (well, that and it took him a while to really get there).

It just bugs you there's another guy out there's who's a concensus better player than Harden. :wink:

(P.S. that was a joke. I'm aware were debating the merits).
Scorpion King
Lead Assistant
And1: 666

Post#39 » by Scorpion King » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:04 pm

Kyle Kuzma -
Jayson Tatum
Montrez Harrel
Zion Williamson
Pascal Siakam
Mitch Robinson
ken6199
Forum Mod - Rockets
Forum Mod - Rockets
And1: 18,557

Post#40 » by ken6199 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:07 pm

XxIronChainzxX wrote:
ken6199 wrote:

The guy was 5-6 spots from KD because people forgot how good he was. In 2016-2017 he was an absolute monster and deserved MVP. Obviously some of the stanning has gotten out of control but I think his peak is right there with KD. His body isn't and that's the difference (well, that and it took him a while to really get there).

It just bugs you there's another guy out there's who's a concensus better player than Harden. :wink:

(P.S. that was a joke. I'm aware were debating the merits).

Joke or not it's all cool.

Looking back on 16-17 he was certainly underrated (I got first hand experience in the West semi-finals). If it wasn't for Zaza, maybe he would have gone on to achieve bigger things. MVP wise, its Harden vs Westbrook - gap - Kawhi - gap - Lebron as properly reflected by the voting total. I wouldn't say Kawhi deserved MVP that year.

I firmly believe Harden > Kawhi but that's not the point here. Curry, Giannis, (healthy) KD all better than Kawhi. Being available is a big part of how good a player is, you can look at Kawhi's past 3 years and Harden's, well, entire career so far. I look at Chris Paul right now as a top 40 player, but if we give him health, the guy is easily a top 20 player with his skill level. Durability is a big deal. You throw 40% usage on Kawhi and play him 35mpg, dude's body starts to break down and he can forget about championships and FMVPs. You cannot possibly give that best player title to a guy who has questionable health.

Even a healthy Kawhi has a big hole in his game - passing. You guys accuse Harden for not defending, passing is equally a dominant facet of a player's game. You remove those creators on the Raptors team, or Spurs system, Kawhi's game is going to get ugly. You remove every single creators around Harden, he still takes his team to the playoff with a one man force, in the West. But of course I doubt people take this into the equation of Harden vs Kawhi.
RealGM loves you, Melissa.

Return to The General Board