D Wade Closer to Michael Jordan or Paul Pierce

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

?

Jordan
36%
Pierce
56%
Equal Distance
8%

Total votes: 255

Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,051

Re: D Wade Closer to Michael Jordan or Paul Pierce 

Post#81 » by Sixerscan » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:48 am

In terms of like a list of players wade is probably closer to MJ but Mike is like orders of magnitude better than Wade while Pierce is only a bit worse.
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,105

Post#82 » by skones » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:03 am

Dwyane Wade's best years were MVP caliber. Paul Pierce was smack dab in the middle of his prime during those years and Wade was STILL a healthy step above in terms of level of play. The answer is Jordan.
goodboy
RealGM
And1: 185,289

Post#83 » by goodboy » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:08 am

ccameron wrote:Poll results are lol

The question, for everyone getting hung up on the length of Wade's prime, was "Was prime wade closer to Jordan or Pierce level as a player"

The answer is definitely Jordan. Paul Pierce never reached close to Jordan's level, but Wade did.

buncha haterz
Bright
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,764

Post#84 » by Colbinii » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:35 am

KrAzY3 wrote:
Colbinii wrote:Jordan in the top 5.

Haha, how generous of you.

I dont want to undersell defense.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
WICKED17
Pro Prospect
And1: 152

Post#85 » by WICKED17 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:10 am

Good god! 36% voted closer to MJ. Simply laughable.
Jables
Analyst
And1: 2,443

Post#86 » by Jables » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:42 am

Despite being the worst of the big three, Pierce was still a superstar at one point and Wade was no Jordan. Why are people acting like that's an insult? He averaged 30 in playoffs once and was no DPOY.
KrAzY3
Starter
And1: 2,527

Post#87 » by KrAzY3 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:07 am

Colbinii wrote:
KrAzY3 wrote:
Colbinii wrote:Jordan in the top 5.

Haha, how generous of you.

I dont want to undersell defense.

I feel like I'm having trouble detecting sarcasm.

Ok, I'll bite. Who are these other DPOY's that decided to rank alongside Jordan? I'm hoping they're at least 10 time All-Defensive First Team because we don't want to undersell defense...
reflex35
Rookie
And1: 672

Post#88 » by reflex35 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:21 am

Panic610 wrote:
reflex35 wrote:
Panic610 wrote:Personally I'm taking Peirce over Wade. More complete player.

Pierce was a "more complete" player and that is true.

But:
Peak Wade could go against anybody. Just look at those finals vs Mavs. He could have gone against MJ and have a chance :lol:
Peak Pierce..? Don't know if such a thing exists? He was steady and good "overall"

Sure, but lets at least acknowledge that it's likely easier to go against someone when there is another superstar or two taking some defensive attention away from you.

Well, he had KG and Ray and that's when he won his chip although I acknowledge that none of 3 were in their prime at that time.

And talking about Wade's first chip he was with Shaq, but he wasn't Shaq anymore during that whole year or during the finals. I think he was averaging something like 13-14 points in the Finals if I remember correct.

I understand that with Bron and Bosh in their prime it's another story, but even with that in mind Wade for a couple of years prior to that was in the conversation of the best player in the world. That's alongside Kobe in his prime and Lebron who had the same number of years in the league as Wade. If not the best he was considered being a top 5 during that short span...

When was Paul consider a top 5 player? Or ok even a top 10 player maybe? I don't remember that, but if I am wrong please correct and remind me.
celtics543
Analyst
And1: 3,078

Post#89 » by celtics543 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:37 am

reflex35 wrote:
Panic610 wrote:
reflex35 wrote:
Pierce was a "more complete" player and that is true.

But:
Peak Wade could go against anybody. Just look at those finals vs Mavs. He could have gone against MJ and have a chance :lol:
Peak Pierce..? Don't know if such a thing exists? He was steady and good "overall"

Sure, but lets at least acknowledge that it's likely easier to go against someone when there is another superstar or two taking some defensive attention away from you.

Well, he had KG and Ray and that's when he won his chip although I acknowledge that none of 3 were in their prime at that time.

And talking about Wade's first chip he was with Shaq, but he wasn't Shaq anymore during that whole year or during the finals. I think he was averaging something like 13-14 points in the Finals if I remember correct.

I understand that with Bron and Bosh in their prime it's another story, but even with that in mind Wade for a couple of years prior to that was in the conversation of the best player in the world. That's alongside Kobe in his prime and Lebron who had the same number of years in the league as Wade. If not the best he was considered being a top 5 during that short span...

When was Paul consider a top 5 player? Or ok even a top 10 player maybe? I don't remember that, but if I am wrong please correct and remind me.

I'd argue 2002 Paul was a top ten player when he led the NBA in total points. He put up 26/7/3 plus 2 steals and a block a game on 46/40/81 shooting splits for a team that he carried to the ECF. In a slow it down league where the pace was nowhere near what it is today that seems like a pretty great season. I'd say he was top 10 that year.
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,692

Post#90 » by rzzzzz » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:15 pm

Paul Pierce was a great player. I still remember yelling myself hoarse at Larry Brown when the pick came up, and he just had to prove to everybody that he was the smartest guy in the room by not making the obvious selection. BUT, Wade was really special. one of the best. not MJ or Magic or Russell or Kareem, but an argument can be made that he would be in the next group of GOAT.
DimesandKnicks
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,625

Post#91 » by DimesandKnicks » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:17 pm

I honestly feel like Wade is the second most talented SG off all-time. If he had a relatively injury free career like Kobe, i think we might put him ahead of him. Just my opinion.
SerialChiller
Head Coach
And1: 10,993

Post#92 » by SerialChiller » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:22 pm

DimesandKnicks wrote:I honestly feel like Wade is the second most talented SG off all-time. If he had a relatively injury free career like Kobe, i think we might put him ahead of him. Just my opinion.

Completely agree. Prime Wade was seemingly everywhere making his presence felt with big plays on both ends. The OP asks about prime so Jordan is the answer. Wades peak was ridiculous...closest player in terms of style and impact to Jordan ever imo.
Pennebaker
Head Coach
And1: 5,577

Post#93 » by Pennebaker » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:48 pm

myronbolitar wrote:
Pennebaker wrote:
The Comedian wrote:
Pierce FTA per game: 6.4
Wade FTA per game: 7.1

Pierce was only 3.5 assists per game for his career, but Wade was 5.4, not a massive difference. Pierce played 18 feet and in a majority of the tine. That's not exactly the opposite.

And Pierce got on the line with pump fakes on his jumper. Wade got to the line like MJ did - attacking the rim.

Hmm, nope. Pierce was a relentless slasher, especially in his 20s.

Also, totally off-topic, but if prime PP was playing today, he'd be shooting 8 3's a game and putting up an efficient 29+ PPG. His best year he averaged 27/7/5 and only shot four 3PT/g. From '05-'15, he shot 3s at a 38% clip. Should've shot them at a greater volume.

No he wasnt. In his 20's over 51% of Pierce's shots came from beyond 16 feet - almost split evenly between mid range jumpers and threes (25.2%/26.3%). 64% of Pierce's shots in his 20's came from 10 feet and beyond.

Contrast that with Wade, where the majority of his shots came from the 0-10 feet range.

Return to The General Board