FIBA WORLD CUP 2019 | SPAIN are new WORLD CHAMPIONS

Moderators: zimpy27, bwgood77, BombsquadSammy, Yuri Vaultin, PockyCandy, Prez, ken6199, Dirk, Domejandro

notericjr
Sophomore
Posts: 104
And1: 88
Joined: Jun 05, 2018
   

Re: FIBA WORLD CUP 2019 

Post#2861 » by notericjr » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:30 am

I wasn't big on Landale as a lot of others were leading into this tournament but he's certainly turned me around.

It's going to be very difficult to fit the aforementioned 3 along with Bolden and Maker into the same squad. There are only 12 spots. And this is assuming Lemanis still doesn't have a hard on for Nick Kay by this time next year lol. Barlow drops and one of either Bolden or Maker might get in for instance and then the last spot that was used for a front court player this time around might end up going to a backcourt player. Who knows.

Someone's going to end up being disappointed though, that's for sure. (This is a good problem to have BTW)
User avatar
Pipp33
Pro Prospect
Posts: 756
And1: 336
Joined: Apr 05, 2014
Location: Down Under
       

Re: FIBA WORLD CUP 2019 

Post#2862 » by Pipp33 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:39 am

notericjr wrote:I wasn't big on Landale as a lot of others were leading into this tournament but he's certainly turned me around.

It's going to be very difficult to fit the aforementioned 3 along with Bolden and Maker into the same squad. There are only 12 spots. And this is assuming Lemanis still doesn't have a hard on for Nick Kay by this time next year lol. Barlow drops and one of either Bolden or Maker might get in for instance and then the last spot that was used for a front court player this time around might end up going to a backcourt player. Who knows.

Someone's going to end up being disappointed though, that's for sure. (This is a good problem to have BTW)


Yep, and Landale has shown growth every year since he started at St Mary's. His improvement though over the last 12 months has been huge, and he's improved his athleticism.


Kay/Sobey/Gliddon/Barlow will all be gone and at least one should have missed these games instead of Deng.

There will be a few players looking for big seasons coming up, as Maker/Bolden/Landale are really competing for 2 spots. I think Creek needs to be in the team, he's a bigger version of Delly on defense, the guy that will do anything to get the ball, and he can play D on bigger players reasonably well. Hope Green and Cooks show something too, as I have high hopes for both of them
Sometimes a player's greatest challenge is coming to grips with his role on the team
User avatar
Pipp33
Pro Prospect
Posts: 756
And1: 336
Joined: Apr 05, 2014
Location: Down Under
       

Re: FIBA WORLD CUP 2019 

Post#2863 » by Pipp33 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:44 am

DaPessimist wrote:Good luck getting USA players to play FIBA ball now. We gonna go from our E Squad to our Z squad next tourney. :lol:
+


And here lies the problem with the way Americans think about these tournaments. The majority of other country's players want to represent their country at every opportunity and take massive pride in doing so. Where they will finish, does not enter their heads, it's about competing against the best countries in the world and wearing your country's jersey with pride. Some US players are scared to lose or don't place any importance on representing the US. The basketball world is stacked now, over a 1/4 of the NBA is international players and that will continue to grow, and other leagues are stronger than ever before also. There will not be an easy Gold medal ever again
Sometimes a player's greatest challenge is coming to grips with his role on the team
Sphynx
Freshman
Posts: 91
And1: 67
Joined: Jul 14, 2014

Re: FIBA WORLD CUP 2019 

Post#2864 » by Sphynx » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:12 am

Luvthegame64 wrote:Bolden would struggle to see court time, let alone make the starting 5. Baynes, Landale and Bogut are all ahead of him.



Nah, no way, he brings the elite defensive athleticism to the Boomers lineup and can hit the 3 at NBA/Euro level well.



Hroz wrote:
Sphynx wrote:Australia continue to fly under the radar in this thread.


They are the 2nd best team in the world imo and probably second favorite to the USA for the Olympics when you consider they are probably missing maybe 3 starters and 5 of their best 10 players in this tournament.

Baynes becoming a stretch 5 would open the floor up considerably for Simmons to play the P&R and high post.

Even then, Bolden would probably almost start over Baynes.

Broekhoff is the other that will make them even better, he's Ingles-lite on the perimeter and an excellent player at this level.

Then there's Exum, Maker, Green to add to the bench.


Most likely if you were making the Australia team it probably comes from these 15 players (though Adel didn't even make this team but I think that was a mistake) (like cutting Creek initially has proved to be a mistake)

Baynes Maker Bogut
Simmons Landale Bolden
Ingles Cooks Adel
Mills Broekhoff Creek
Delladova Exum Goulding

Mills had been playing SG for this tournament and has thrived. (with Delly or Goulding taking up PG duties)
Doubt we move him even for Broekhoff.



Personally, I'd have Broekhoff in place of Delly with Simmons in the side as a ball handler along with Mills.

Bolden Baynes Bogut
Simmons Landale Maker
Ingles Cooks Adel
Broekhoff Exum Green
Mills Delly Goulding
Hroz
Junior
Posts: 459
And1: 226
Joined: Apr 14, 2019
Contact:
   

Re: FIBA WORLD CUP 2019 

Post#2865 » by Hroz » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:32 am

Sphynx wrote:
Luvthegame64 wrote:Bolden would struggle to see court time, let alone make the starting 5. Baynes, Landale and Bogut are all ahead of him.



Nah, no way, he brings the elite defensive athleticism to the Boomers lineup and can hit the 3 at NBA/Euro level well.



Hroz wrote:
Sphynx wrote:Australia continue to fly under the radar in this thread.


They are the 2nd best team in the world imo and probably second favorite to the USA for the Olympics when you consider they are probably missing maybe 3 starters and 5 of their best 10 players in this tournament.

Baynes becoming a stretch 5 would open the floor up considerably for Simmons to play the P&R and high post.

Even then, Bolden would probably almost start over Baynes.

Broekhoff is the other that will make them even better, he's Ingles-lite on the perimeter and an excellent player at this level.

Then there's Exum, Maker, Green to add to the bench.


Most likely if you were making the Australia team it probably comes from these 15 players (though Adel didn't even make this team but I think that was a mistake) (like cutting Creek initially has proved to be a mistake)

Baynes Maker Bogut
Simmons Landale Bolden
Ingles Cooks Adel
Mills Broekhoff Creek
Delladova Exum Goulding

Mills had been playing SG for this tournament and has thrived. (with Delly or Goulding taking up PG duties)
Doubt we move him even for Broekhoff.



Personally, I'd have Broekhoff in place of Delly with Simmons in the side as a ball handler along with Mills.

Bolden Baynes Bogut
Simmons Landale Maker
Ingles Cooks Adel
Broekhoff Exum Green
Mills Delly Goulding


Just to clarify
Bolden was meant to be the back up PF for this WC.

For this WC our rotation was
Baynes Bogut
Landale Bolden
Ingles Cooks
Mills
Delladova Goulding

Bolden dropped out due to not liking his role on the team. Cooks got injured and Creek got his spot in the rotation.
Sphynx
Freshman
Posts: 91
And1: 67
Joined: Jul 14, 2014

Re: FIBA WORLD CUP 2019 

Post#2866 » by Sphynx » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:35 am

Hroz wrote:
Sphynx wrote:
Luvthegame64 wrote:Bolden would struggle to see court time, let alone make the starting 5. Baynes, Landale and Bogut are all ahead of him.



Nah, no way, he brings the elite defensive athleticism to the Boomers lineup and can hit the 3 at NBA/Euro level well.



Hroz wrote:
Most likely if you were making the Australia team it probably comes from these 15 players (though Adel didn't even make this team but I think that was a mistake) (like cutting Creek initially has proved to be a mistake)

Baynes Maker Bogut
Simmons Landale Bolden
Ingles Cooks Adel
Mills Broekhoff Creek
Delladova Exum Goulding

Mills had been playing SG for this tournament and has thrived. (with Delly or Goulding taking up PG duties)
Doubt we move him even for Broekhoff.



Personally, I'd have Broekhoff in place of Delly with Simmons in the side as a ball handler along with Mills.

Bolden Baynes Bogut
Simmons Landale Maker
Ingles Cooks Adel
Broekhoff Exum Green
Mills Delly Goulding


Just to clarify
Bolden was meant to be the back up PF for this WC.

For this WC our rotation was
Baynes Bogut
Landale Bolden
Ingles Cooks
Mills
Delladova Goulding

Bolden dropped out due to not liking his role on the team. Cooks got injured and Creek got his spot in the rotation.


I understand that, but Bolden will be playing another season for a contender in the NBA and Landale will be in the Euroleague.

Their ages are similar, it's a fair difference.
TheBallsDeeper
Pro Prospect
Posts: 775
And1: 921
Joined: Nov 20, 2017
       

Re: FIBA WORLD CUP 2019 

Post#2867 » by TheBallsDeeper » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:04 am

Sphynx wrote:
Hroz wrote:
Sphynx wrote:

Nah, no way, he brings the elite defensive athleticism to the Boomers lineup and can hit the 3 at NBA/Euro level well.






Personally, I'd have Broekhoff in place of Delly with Simmons in the side as a ball handler along with Mills.

Bolden Baynes Bogut
Simmons Landale Maker
Ingles Cooks Adel
Broekhoff Exum Green
Mills Delly Goulding


Just to clarify
Bolden was meant to be the back up PF for this WC.

For this WC our rotation was
Baynes Bogut
Landale Bolden
Ingles Cooks
Mills
Delladova Goulding

Bolden dropped out due to not liking his role on the team. Cooks got injured and Creek got his spot in the rotation.


I understand that, but Bolden will be playing another season for a contender in the NBA and Landale will be in the Euroleague.

Their ages are similar, it's a fair difference.

I think the results across the World Cup have shown that under FIBA rules the best centers are strong smart players, not necessarily athletic players. I think that Bolden would have done a good job as the starter or backup at PF, but I don't think that he is suited to being a center in this type of competition, although I think he can be a very good one for the Sixers.
Hroz
Junior
Posts: 459
And1: 226
Joined: Apr 14, 2019
Contact:
   

Re: FIBA WORLD CUP 2019 

Post#2868 » by Hroz » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:09 am

Sphynx wrote:
I understand that, but Bolden will be playing another season for a contender in the NBA and Landale will be in the Euroleague.

Their ages are similar, it's a fair difference.


It's agreed both are young and their development in the next year will be crucial.

But saying that Bolden will develop better is weirdly confident statement.

1. Landale will be playing FIBA rules / Bolden NBA
2. Landale will be a starter for his team / Bolden might only be getting minutes when Embiid rests(Embiid Horford O'Quinn Scott all expected to be above him in the rotation/Harris might also got PF mins)

Fight for a spot next year in the boomers will be intense I'll agree on that
Hroz
Junior
Posts: 459
And1: 226
Joined: Apr 14, 2019
Contact:
   

Re: FIBA WORLD CUP 2019 

Post#2869 » by Hroz » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:15 am

Boomers 2020
Locks
Simmons
Mills
Ingles
Baynes

Probably in
Maker
Broekhoff
Delladova
Exum

Last 4 spots fight
Bogut
Bolden
Landale
Cooks
Adel
Creek
Goulding
Green

And that's presuming we don't have someone come from nowhere like Landale and Cooks did this year (hello William McDowell-White?)
notericjr
Sophomore
Posts: 104
And1: 88
Joined: Jun 05, 2018
   

Re: FIBA WORLD CUP 2019 

Post#2870 » by notericjr » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:27 am

Sphynx wrote:
Hroz wrote:
Sphynx wrote:

Nah, no way, he brings the elite defensive athleticism to the Boomers lineup and can hit the 3 at NBA/Euro level well.






Personally, I'd have Broekhoff in place of Delly with Simmons in the side as a ball handler along with Mills.

Bolden Baynes Bogut
Simmons Landale Maker
Ingles Cooks Adel
Broekhoff Exum Green
Mills Delly Goulding


Just to clarify
Bolden was meant to be the back up PF for this WC.

For this WC our rotation was
Baynes Bogut
Landale Bolden
Ingles Cooks
Mills
Delladova Goulding

Bolden dropped out due to not liking his role on the team. Cooks got injured and Creek got his spot in the rotation.


I understand that, but Bolden will be playing another season for a contender in the NBA and Landale will be in the Euroleague.

Their ages are similar, it's a fair difference.


Sixers rotation is going to be harder to crack this year vs last year. Unless he has some significant improvement, I can't see him getting any minutes at centre and at PF he'll just be getting whatever scraps are left over from Horford and Mike Scott. Not saying that he's a bad player, I like Jonah...the 76ers have retooled up and down the roster for a serious championship run. There isn't enough spots to go around to feed everyone.

Game 1 of last season
C - Embiid, Muscala, Johnson, Bolden (Also consider the fact that Amir Johnson was beyond washed at this point
PF - Saric, Chandler(injured for first month), Muscala, Bolden

After the first big trade
C - Embiid, Muscala, Bolden, Johnson
PF - Chandler, Muscala, Bolden

After the second big trade
C - Embiid, Boban, Bolden, Johnson
PF - Harris, Scott, Bolden

Now......

This season
C- Embiid, Horford, O'Quinn and then Bolden
PF - Horford, Scott and then Bolden

He went from competing against low-usage, 'kinda out of position' Tobias Harris and Mike Scott to competing with an All-Star level PF and...Mike Scott. For him to get into that regular rotation at PF he needs to be a more serviceable player than Mike Scott who provides....not just better shooting, but among the leagues best-shooting, is a comparable athlete who's also tall + long....but more importantly, Scott is much more disciplined defensively than Bolden. At least from what we've seen this far.

Only point i'm trying to make is that what if Jonah goes the entire season not playing much, if at all for the Sixers while Landale makes a deep run with his team in the Euroleague?
User avatar
Pipp33
Pro Prospect
Posts: 756
And1: 336
Joined: Apr 05, 2014
Location: Down Under
       

Re: FIBA WORLD CUP 2019 

Post#2871 » by Pipp33 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:11 am

Hroz wrote:Boomers 2020
Locks
Simmons
Mills
Ingles
Baynes

Probably in
Maker
Broekhoff
Delladova
Exum

Last 4 spots fight
Bogut
Bolden
Landale
Cooks
Adel
Creek
Goulding
Green

And that's presuming we don't have someone come from nowhere like Landale and Cooks did this year (hello William McDowell-White?)


Maker has got to show something this season or he is far from a "probably in"
Bogut will go due to his playmaking and setting up our guards of screens cuts etc. He'll only see a few MPG, but his defensive toughness will be valuable
Sometimes a player's greatest challenge is coming to grips with his role on the team
gundysmullet
Rookie
Posts: 1,187
And1: 644
Joined: May 20, 2019

Re: FIBA WORLD CUP 2019 

Post#2872 » by gundysmullet » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:17 am

Hroz wrote:
Sphynx wrote:Australia continue to fly under the radar in this thread.


They are the 2nd best team in the world imo and probably second favorite to the USA for the Olympics when you consider they are probably missing maybe 3 starters and 5 of their best 10 players in this tournament.

Baynes becoming a stretch 5 would open the floor up considerably for Simmons to play the P&R and high post.

Even then, Bolden would probably almost start over Baynes.

Broekhoff is the other that will make them even better, he's Ingles-lite on the perimeter and an excellent player at this level.

Then there's Exum, Maker, Green to add to the bench.


Most likely if you were making the Australia team it probably comes from these 15 players (though Adel didn't even make this team but I think that was a mistake) (like cutting Creek initially has proved to be a mistake)

Baynes Maker Bogut
Simmons Landale Bolden
Ingles Cooks Adel
Mills Broekhoff Creek
Delladova Exum Goulding

Mills had been playing SG for this tournament and has thrived. (with Delly or Goulding taking up PG duties)
Doubt we move him even for Broekhoff.


If Josh Green has a great freshman season at Zona and is 1 and done, don't count him out too.
User avatar
Simmons25
Veteran
Posts: 2,756
And1: 1,814
Joined: Sep 27, 2016
 

Re: FIBA WORLD CUP 2019 

Post#2873 » by Simmons25 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:51 am

Hroz wrote:Boomers 2020
Locks
Simmons
Mills
Ingles
Baynes

Probably in
Maker
Broekhoff
Delladova
Exum

Last 4 spots fight
Bogut
Bolden
Landale
Cooks
Adel
Creek
Goulding
Green

And that's presuming we don't have someone come from nowhere like Landale and Cooks did this year (hello William McDowell-White?)


I'd put Bogut in the probable category. We aren't going in with just 1 center in Baynes. This tournament has proven how valuable it is having these big guys especially when other teams don't.

I don't think Maker is much of a chance to be honest unless he improves considerably this year compared to what he has shown so far in the NBA... especially for someone who supposed to be in his prime right now in his mid to late 20's.

I'd be shocked if Josh Green is not in the squad. He is already one of the most talented guys in that roster and hasn't played a College game yet.
nzahir
Starter
Posts: 2,346
And1: 970
Joined: Nov 04, 2017

Re: FIBA WORLD CUP 2019 

Post#2874 » by nzahir » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:06 am

Serious Question,

Why did team usa in 2016 do much better in the final game than 2012 or 2008 (both more talented teams)?

I think 2016 had more shooting which probably helped for the international game. And 2008 and 2012 spain were probably better teams, but I do still want to know
a-French-Fan
Sophomore
Posts: 153
And1: 76
Joined: Jun 29, 2017
 

Re: FIBA WORLD CUP 2019 

Post#2875 » by a-French-Fan » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:43 am

Sark wrote:Ok, who are the 205 people that voted for Serbia. Show yourselves.

And some people voted for France After the game :p
User avatar
yeahM8
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,577
And1: 2,420
Joined: Feb 05, 2016
 

Re: FIBA WORLD CUP 2019 

Post#2876 » by yeahM8 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:52 am

gundysmullet wrote:
seorang wrote:
yeahM8 wrote:aussie wagon going to fill up quick.

whos on?

lez go strayaaaaa

OZZIE OZZIE OZZIE OI OI OI

I have literally told you like five times it’s Aussie, the people from Australia are Aussies. The country is nicknamed Oz. Sheesh!


Classic gundy
User avatar
stoo
Senior
Posts: 514
And1: 272
Joined: Jun 11, 2018

Re: FIBA WORLD CUP 2019 

Post#2877 » by stoo » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:17 am

yeahM8 wrote:
gundysmullet wrote:
seorang wrote:OZZIE OZZIE OZZIE OI OI OI

I have literally told you like five times it’s Aussie, the people from Australia are Aussies. The country is nicknamed Oz. Sheesh!


Classic gundy


Why not both? Why is country called Oz?
NuggetsKingsMavericksWarriorsGrizzliesPelicans
sunsbg
Pro Prospect
Posts: 977
And1: 526
Joined: Feb 29, 2016

Re: FIBA WORLD CUP 2019 

Post#2878 » by sunsbg » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:32 am

nzahir wrote:Serious Question,

Why did team usa in 2016 do much better in the final game than 2012 or 2008 (both more talented teams)?

I think 2016 had more shooting which probably helped for the international game. And 2008 and 2012 spain were probably better teams, but I do still want to know


Shooting is at a premium in FIBA play. I remember they decided to send more shooters after the 2002/2004 losses, but now there was no choice since as you probably already know NBA players don't care there is a World Championship.

Some NBA stars(the athletic ones) are overrated as shooters as they dribble for 5-10 secs to get a better feeling before taking a shot. Because of the ball-movement in international play it's more like a 3PT shootout and they are not as good at that.
pootbrah
Rookie
Posts: 1,016
And1: 694
Joined: Feb 09, 2016
 

Re: FIBA WORLD CUP 2019 

Post#2879 » by pootbrah » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:46 am

Pipp33 wrote:
notericjr wrote:I wasn't big on Landale as a lot of others were leading into this tournament but he's certainly turned me around.

It's going to be very difficult to fit the aforementioned 3 along with Bolden and Maker into the same squad. There are only 12 spots. And this is assuming Lemanis still doesn't have a hard on for Nick Kay by this time next year lol. Barlow drops and one of either Bolden or Maker might get in for instance and then the last spot that was used for a front court player this time around might end up going to a backcourt player. Who knows.

Someone's going to end up being disappointed though, that's for sure. (This is a good problem to have BTW)


Yep, and Landale has shown growth every year since he started at St Mary's. His improvement though over the last 12 months has been huge, and he's improved his athleticism.


Kay/Sobey/Gliddon/Barlow will all be gone and at least one should have missed these games instead of Deng.

There will be a few players looking for big seasons coming up, as Maker/Bolden/Landale are really competing for 2 spots. I think Creek needs to be in the team, he's a bigger version of Delly on defense, the guy that will do anything to get the ball, and he can play D on bigger players reasonably well. Hope Green and Cooks show something too, as I have high hopes for both of them


Kay is an absolute weapon. Stalwart Boomer. Hate all you want he just delivers
Bob8
Veteran
Posts: 2,847
And1: 1,104
Joined: Feb 08, 2017

Re: FIBA WORLD CUP 2019 

Post#2880 » by Bob8 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:52 am

Sphynx wrote:
Hroz wrote:
Sphynx wrote:

Nah, no way, he brings the elite defensive athleticism to the Boomers lineup and can hit the 3 at NBA/Euro level well.






Personally, I'd have Broekhoff in place of Delly with Simmons in the side as a ball handler along with Mills.

Bolden Baynes Bogut
Simmons Landale Maker
Ingles Cooks Adel
Broekhoff Exum Green
Mills Delly Goulding


Just to clarify
Bolden was meant to be the back up PF for this WC.

For this WC our rotation was
Baynes Bogut
Landale Bolden
Ingles Cooks
Mills
Delladova Goulding

Bolden dropped out due to not liking his role on the team. Cooks got injured and Creek got his spot in the rotation.


I understand that, but Bolden will be playing another season for a contender in the NBA and Landale will be in the Euroleague.

Their ages are similar, it's a fair difference.


I’m not sure that sitting on the bench is best for players development. Other problem for Bolden is that he’s very bad shooter, he’s shooting FT around 50% last 3 years. His average 3 pts% is on very low volume.

Return to The General Board