LeBron James files trademark request for "Taco Tuesday"

Moderators: zimpy27, bwgood77, BombsquadSammy, Yuri Vaultin, PockyCandy, Prez, ken6199, Dirk, Domejandro

Bayside
Senior
Posts: 559
And1: 284
Joined: Sep 02, 2011
Location: New Zealand
     

Re: LeBron James files trademark request for "Taco Tuesday" 

Post#281 » by Bayside » Fri Sep 6, 2019 2:42 am

Tell me of a talk show, or some thing like that, called thanksgiving dinner. Not a consumer electronics that actually produces a physical apple device vs physical apple(many kinds) fruit. Can you dig into your text books and do the research on this for us please? Seems like your might be willing too. . Some clarity on the Mexican cuisine and apple relationship next to taco and mackintosh.

You must be one hell of a student or practicing lawyer, but you sure mis some nuances as to what human behavior is. I am sure half the posters on this thread dont give a **** about the practical application of trademark law and are more in tuned with what appears to be a half crazy action. Define and categorize all you want, it doesn't change that perception to what appears to be a fair amount of people. Think this is more a case study of psychology then of law.
Duke4life831
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 17,986
And1: 26,182
Joined: Jun 16, 2015
   

Re: LeBron James files trademark request for "Taco Tuesday" 

Post#282 » by Duke4life831 » Fri Sep 6, 2019 3:07 am

lakerz12 wrote:
Bayside wrote:And apple computers is the only company producing apple computers. Everyone has been "talking" about taco Tuesdays long before some posters took prelaw undergrad or finished law school.


:lol: Yeah and we're talking about LeBron using "taco tuesday" for a podcast.

Same scenario. Everyone was "talking" about apples long before Apple computers and Apple farmers had been using the term apple long before Apple computers.


He's getting a trademark for Taco Tuesday for social media and online marketing. Taco Tuesday has always been used as a marketing slogan. He's trying to trademark a marketing slogan for marketing.
Bayside
Senior
Posts: 559
And1: 284
Joined: Sep 02, 2011
Location: New Zealand
     

Re: LeBron James files trademark request for "Taco Tuesday" 

Post#283 » by Bayside » Fri Sep 6, 2019 3:17 am

Duke4life831 wrote:
lakerz12 wrote:
Bayside wrote:And apple computers is the only company producing apple computers. Everyone has been "talking" about taco Tuesdays long before some posters took prelaw undergrad or finished law school.


:lol: Yeah and we're talking about LeBron using "taco tuesday" for a podcast.

Same scenario. Everyone was "talking" about apples long before Apple computers and Apple farmers had been using the term apple long before Apple computers.


He's getting a trademark for Taco Tuesday for social media and online marketing. Taco Tuesday has always been used as a marketing slogan. He's trying to trademark a marketing slogan for marketing.


If the reason why this controversial, for lack of a better word, still is not grasped it never will. Its textbook, just not law. Same person who said if its a problem go to court. That sentiment has cost a lot of people time and money and puts poster in a personality type. No way to reason with that. Wasting peoples time, money and well being, to sort over something that is obvious to most people is unsettling.
michaelm
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,986
And1: 1,930
Joined: Apr 06, 2010
 

Re: LeBron James files trademark request for "Taco Tuesday" 

Post#284 » by michaelm » Fri Sep 6, 2019 4:31 am

Bayside wrote:Tell me of a talk show, or some thing like that, called thanksgiving dinner. Not a consumer electronics that actually produces a physical apple device vs physical apple(many kinds) fruit. Can you dig into your text books and do the research on this for us please? Seems like your might be willing too. . Some clarity on the Mexican cuisine and apple relationship next to taco and mackintosh.

You must be one hell of a student or practicing lawyer, but you sure mis some nuances as to what human behavior is. I am sure half the posters on this thread dont give a **** about the practical application of trademark law and are more in tuned with what appears to be a half crazy action. Define and categorize all you want, it doesn't change that perception to what appears to be a fair amount of people. Think this is more a case study of psychology then of law.

Yes, the implication that LeBron can own what is a generic marketing slogan in common use for any purpose is the issue, and i think most are objecting to the trademarking of such things in general, perhaps in addition including from me some sentiment that LeBron has rather a sense of entitlement if he/his organisation think this is a reasonable or clever thing to do.

I don’t think there was ever any implication by Jobs/Apple that they had invented the concept of the apple or that their computers and other devices were in any way related to the fruit, although they are a particularly rapacious company and probably do defend their trademark fairly viciously which is rather the point; iirc there was some discussion and an arrangement with the Beatles’ Apple.
NBAFan93
RealGM
Posts: 16,326
And1: 11,712
Joined: Dec 04, 2016

Re: LeBron James files trademark request for "Taco Tuesday" 

Post#285 » by NBAFan93 » Fri Sep 6, 2019 5:15 am

LOL. I can’t believe this thread has transformed into comparing LeBron making some corney Taco Tuesday videos on instagram to Steve Jobs and Apple Computer. As if they are similar situations. One guy’s company actually invented some of the world’s most revolutionary products of this past century, the other is a basketball player filming himself eating tacos with his friends and family and posting it online.
freethedevil
Analyst
Posts: 3,183
And1: 1,728
Joined: Dec 09, 2018
         

Re: LeBron James files trademark request for "Taco Tuesday" 

Post#286 » by freethedevil » Fri Sep 6, 2019 10:54 am

NBAFan93 wrote:LOL. I can’t believe this thread has transformed into comparing LeBron making some corney Taco Tuesday videos on instagram to Steve Jobs and Apple Computer. As if they are similar situations. One guy’s company actually invented some of the world’s most revolutionary products of this past century, the other is a basketball player filming himself eating tacos with his friends and family and posting it online.

Red herring is red. While the concept may well be far more impotant that doesn't change that apples are very common verbiage which were made exclusive for a specific sub-category. Outrage regarding lebron applying the same principle is fine as long as you're consistent with it. I don't like trademarks much and feel they should be very strict qualifications foe usage, but if Lebron taking a common idea and using it for a specific purpose is morally probelmatic, i expect that same energy with the usage of apple by someone who didn't discover apples or amazon for people who didn't discover the amazon. If you can't apply outrage consistently, your outrage isn't consistent, then it's based on shake grounds.
freethedevil
Analyst
Posts: 3,183
And1: 1,728
Joined: Dec 09, 2018
         

Re: LeBron James files trademark request for "Taco Tuesday" 

Post#287 » by freethedevil » Fri Sep 6, 2019 10:56 am

dhsilv2 wrote:
freethedevil wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
Disagree. Just like doing the same for "good morning" would imo.

Off course, good morning x" has been trademarked for ages...


The "x" would make this a completely different discussion...

No it doesn't, how us good morning america different from taco tuesday? It isn't.
freethedevil
Analyst
Posts: 3,183
And1: 1,728
Joined: Dec 09, 2018
         

Re: LeBron James files trademark request for "Taco Tuesday" 

Post#288 » by freethedevil » Fri Sep 6, 2019 11:00 am

jbk1234 wrote:It's already been trademarked, but at this point, I think the Trademark Office should say it's too ubiquitous for anyone to own.

https://www.latimes.com/food/story/2019-09-03/lebron-james-taco-tuesday-trademark-taco-johns

Damn, resturants aren't allowed to do taco tuesday? Huh?
michaelm
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,986
And1: 1,930
Joined: Apr 06, 2010
 

Re: LeBron James files trademark request for "Taco Tuesday" 

Post#289 » by michaelm » Fri Sep 6, 2019 11:52 am

NBAFan93 wrote:LOL. I can’t believe this thread has transformed into comparing LeBron making some corney Taco Tuesday videos on instagram to Steve Jobs and Apple Computer. As if they are similar situations. One guy’s company actually invented some of the world’s most revolutionary products of this past century, the other is a basketball player filming himself eating tacos with his friends and family and posting it online.

Call it LeBron’s Taco Tuesday then, and as has repeatedly been said no-one has a problem.

I don’t think Paul Newman ever thought he owned the concepts of salad dressing or pasta sauce.
Picasso
Junior
Posts: 426
And1: 274
Joined: Apr 14, 2018
         

Re: LeBron James files trademark request for "Taco Tuesday" 

Post#290 » by Picasso » Fri Sep 6, 2019 11:59 am

Trade Mark's are filed for different things all the time even common sayings. Donald Trump trademarked the term you're fired. That is used multiple times daily.

3 peat pat riley,

That's hot paris Hilton. Etc.. these are just some examples.
michaelm
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,986
And1: 1,930
Joined: Apr 06, 2010
 

Re: LeBron James files trademark request for "Taco Tuesday" 

Post#291 » by michaelm » Fri Sep 6, 2019 12:22 pm

freethedevil wrote:
NBAFan93 wrote:LOL. I can’t believe this thread has transformed into comparing LeBron making some corney Taco Tuesday videos on instagram to Steve Jobs and Apple Computer. As if they are similar situations. One guy’s company actually invented some of the world’s most revolutionary products of this past century, the other is a basketball player filming himself eating tacos with his friends and family and posting it online.

Red herring is red. While the concept may well be far more impotant that doesn't change that apples are very common verbiage which were made exclusive for a specific sub-category. Outrage regarding lebron applying the same principle is fine as long as you're consistent with it. I don't like trademarks much and feel they should be very strict qualifications foe usage, but if Lebron taking a common idea and using it for a specific purpose is morally probelmatic, i expect that same energy with the usage of apple by someone who didn't discover apples or amazon for people who didn't discover the amazon. If you can't apply outrage consistently, your outrage isn't consistent, then it's based on shake grounds.

There isn’t really any outrage, just a feeling that LeBron and/or his employees are being a little dickish in this regard. I think Apple are rapacious bastards despite having produced some excellent and innovative products, with which a family member with a rather more informed perspective than I have would agree, but I don’t believe they have ever laid claim to the concept of apples as a fruit, whereas the social connotations of a Taco Tuesday with your friends, family or whomever seems to be exactly what LeBron Corps is trying to reserve for himself/themselves, which as someone more eloquent than I am has correctly imo said he/they shouldn’t be able to own for any purpose.

If he wishes to manufacture/produce computers or smart phones he can call them whatever he likes as far as I am concerned.
User avatar
infinite11285
RealGM
Posts: 15,602
And1: 13,484
Joined: Aug 12, 2008

Re: LeBron James files trademark request for "Taco Tuesday" 

Post#292 » by infinite11285 » Fri Sep 6, 2019 12:52 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
lakerz12 wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
He is trademarking taco tuesday. He should not be able to "protect" that term in any context, in any way, for any reason!

I honestly don't understand what you're not getting here. And yes, I have read up on trademarks and yes I do have a general understanding of them. No, I'm not an expert nor legal expert.


That sounds like your opinion and the law disagrees with you.

There is no law or precedent for believing he shouldn't be able to trademark Taco Tuesday in categories that don't interfere with other businesses. If it does ultimately cause issues, it will be settled in court.

I honestly don't understand how you think your opinion, backed by zero evidence, is supposed to prove something?

Here are some more trademark owners for you to go after:

Someone using the term "limes" for clothing (stop the madness!!!!): http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4810:dw3xol.2.9

Someone using "Sugar Pie" for credit scoring software (wow what an abuser!!): http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4810:dw3xol.3.18

Someone using "Pie" for businesses services via mobile app (omg, I can't believe it!): http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4810:dw3xol.4.9


Can you believe these abusers!?? There are thousands of them! Such Trademark abusers.

Good luck on your quest against them! I can give you hundreds of more perpetrators if you need more people to go after.


Did you ever think this was not opinion driven?


Therein lies the problem.

You're stating your opinions as facts based on your erroneous beliefs of trademark law, and using those unfounded opinions to create false narratives about what LeBron's doing. There isn't a single thing unethical about what's going on here, but you seem to believe LeBron has nefarious intent with the filing of this trademark.
Bringyourgame wrote:Kawhi's better than Kareem and Russell. There were 2 teams in the 60's. One was stacked and the other slightly less stacked. Also it's not about invididual seasons or games. It's about the Complete Package. The totality of their careers.
michaelm
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,986
And1: 1,930
Joined: Apr 06, 2010
 

Re: LeBron James files trademark request for "Taco Tuesday" 

Post#293 » by michaelm » Fri Sep 6, 2019 12:58 pm

infinite11285 wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
lakerz12 wrote:
That sounds like your opinion and the law disagrees with you.

There is no law or precedent for believing he shouldn't be able to trademark Taco Tuesday in categories that don't interfere with other businesses. If it does ultimately cause issues, it will be settled in court.

I honestly don't understand how you think your opinion, backed by zero evidence, is supposed to prove something?

Here are some more trademark owners for you to go after:

Someone using the term "limes" for clothing (stop the madness!!!!): http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4810:dw3xol.2.9

Someone using "Sugar Pie" for credit scoring software (wow what an abuser!!): http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4810:dw3xol.3.18

Someone using "Pie" for businesses services via mobile app (omg, I can't believe it!): http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4810:dw3xol.4.9


Can you believe these abusers!?? There are thousands of them! Such Trademark abusers.

Good luck on your quest against them! I can give you hundreds of more perpetrators if you need more people to go after.


Did you ever think this was not opinion driven?


Therein lies the problem.

You're stating your opinions as facts based on your erroneous beliefs of trademark law, and using those unfounded opinions to create false-narratives about what LeBron's doing. There isn't a single thing unethical about what's going on here, but you seem to believe LeBron's intended purpose of a potential trademark is nefarious.

I don’t believe anyone has propounded that it is nefarious or illegal, although some have called it unethical; my personal view as I have said is that it is dickish.
Jabroni Lames
Junior
Posts: 345
And1: 416
Joined: Apr 08, 2018

Re: LeBron James files trademark request for "Taco Tuesday" 

Post#294 » by Jabroni Lames » Fri Sep 6, 2019 1:02 pm

lakerz12 wrote:The most valuable company in the world once took a fruit and used it for their computer company name and logo!

Wow. Should we start a thread about Steve Jobs & Steve Wozniak and what scum bags they are?

Image

Talk about Trademark Abusers!


Jobs & Woz WERE scumbags - according to the law. They infringed and had to pay the Beatles who had already trademarked "Apple Records". lol.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Corps_v_Apple_Computer
User avatar
infinite11285
RealGM
Posts: 15,602
And1: 13,484
Joined: Aug 12, 2008

Re: LeBron James files trademark request for "Taco Tuesday" 

Post#295 » by infinite11285 » Fri Sep 6, 2019 1:02 pm

michaelm wrote:
infinite11285 wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
Did you ever think this was not opinion driven?


Therein lies the problem.

You're stating your opinions as facts based on your erroneous beliefs of trademark law, and using those unfounded opinions to create false narratives about what LeBron's doing. There isn't a single thing unethical about what's going on here, but you seem to believe LeBron has nefarious intent with the filing of this trademark.

[url]I don’t believe anyone has propounded that it is nefarious or illegal[/url], although some have called it unethical; my personal view as I have said is that it is dickish.


I invite you to read through the thread. Many viewed this as an attack on small businesses and Taco Tuesday goers nationwide. Some even came off as if LeBron has a diabolical plan to pollute the world's oceans with tacos.
Bringyourgame wrote:Kawhi's better than Kareem and Russell. There were 2 teams in the 60's. One was stacked and the other slightly less stacked. Also it's not about invididual seasons or games. It's about the Complete Package. The totality of their careers.
michaelm
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,986
And1: 1,930
Joined: Apr 06, 2010
 

Re: LeBron James files trademark request for "Taco Tuesday" 

Post#296 » by michaelm » Fri Sep 6, 2019 1:25 pm

infinite11285 wrote:
michaelm wrote:
infinite11285 wrote:
Therein lies the problem.

You're stating your opinions as facts based on your erroneous beliefs of trademark law, and using those unfounded opinions to create false narratives about what LeBron's doing. There isn't a single thing unethical about what's going on here, but you seem to believe LeBron has nefarious intent with the filing of this trademark.

[url]I don’t believe anyone has propounded that it is nefarious or illegal[/url], although some have called it unethical; my personal view as I have said is that it is dickish.


I invite you to read through the thread. Many viewed this as an attack on small businesses and Taco Tuesday goers nationwide. Some even came off as if LeBron has a diabolical plan to pollute the world's oceans with tacos.

You are being rhetorical no doubt, but the bottom line is he is laying claim to “Taco Tuesdays” in pretty much a social context, in which context it has been employed for several decades; I don’t l see how anyone can own the concept of shooting the breeze about basketball, another sport, or any other topic of general interest on Tuesdays whilst consuming tacos.

On re-consideration as far as trademarking the term for any purpose, If he invents a world beating smartphone or main battle tank and wants to call same a Taco Tuesday phone or battle tank he can feel free to do so as far as i am concerned.
dhsilv2
RealGM
Posts: 16,821
And1: 6,283
Joined: Oct 04, 2015

Re: LeBron James files trademark request for "Taco Tuesday" 

Post#297 » by dhsilv2 » Fri Sep 6, 2019 2:04 pm

freethedevil wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
freethedevil wrote:Off course, good morning x" has been trademarked for ages...


The "x" would make this a completely different discussion...

No it doesn't, how us good morning america different from taco tuesday? It isn't.


The word America there makes these COMPLETELY different.
TheNG
Junior
Posts: 366
And1: 443
Joined: Feb 14, 2019

Re: LeBron James files trademark request for "Taco Tuesday" 

Post#298 » by TheNG » Fri Sep 6, 2019 2:04 pm

While there is a reason behind all patent laws invention, I can say I'm 100% sure that if, from now on, it will not be possible to trademark any "slogan", the world as we know it will still manage to function pretty well without any significant loss.
dhsilv2
RealGM
Posts: 16,821
And1: 6,283
Joined: Oct 04, 2015

Re: LeBron James files trademark request for "Taco Tuesday" 

Post#299 » by dhsilv2 » Fri Sep 6, 2019 2:06 pm

infinite11285 wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
lakerz12 wrote:
That sounds like your opinion and the law disagrees with you.

There is no law or precedent for believing he shouldn't be able to trademark Taco Tuesday in categories that don't interfere with other businesses. If it does ultimately cause issues, it will be settled in court.

I honestly don't understand how you think your opinion, backed by zero evidence, is supposed to prove something?

Here are some more trademark owners for you to go after:

Someone using the term "limes" for clothing (stop the madness!!!!): http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4810:dw3xol.2.9

Someone using "Sugar Pie" for credit scoring software (wow what an abuser!!): http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4810:dw3xol.3.18

Someone using "Pie" for businesses services via mobile app (omg, I can't believe it!): http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4810:dw3xol.4.9


Can you believe these abusers!?? There are thousands of them! Such Trademark abusers.

Good luck on your quest against them! I can give you hundreds of more perpetrators if you need more people to go after.


Did you ever think this was not opinion driven?


Therein lies the problem.

You're stating your opinions as facts based on your erroneous beliefs of trademark law, and using those unfounded opinions to create false narratives about what LeBron's doing. There isn't a single thing unethical about what's going on here, but you seem to believe LeBron has nefarious intent with the filing of this trademark.


No, I'm stating opinions as opinions. You're now stating an opinion as a fact here to tell me what I said when you clearly weren't takin the time to read and understand what was said. Similar to the absurd statement that I think what Lebron is doing is nefarious. It think it is unethical, that is not the same thing as nefarious.
michaelm
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,986
And1: 1,930
Joined: Apr 06, 2010
 

Re: LeBron James files trademark request for "Taco Tuesday" 

Post#300 » by michaelm » Fri Sep 6, 2019 2:23 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
infinite11285 wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
Did you ever think this was not opinion driven?


Therein lies the problem.

You're stating your opinions as facts based on your erroneous beliefs of trademark law, and using those unfounded opinions to create false narratives about what LeBron's doing. There isn't a single thing unethical about what's going on here, but you seem to believe LeBron has nefarious intent with the filing of this trademark.


No, I'm stating opinions as opinions. You're now stating an opinion as a fact here to tell me what I said when you clearly weren't takin the time to read and understand what was said. Similar to the absurd statement that I think what Lebron is doing is nefarious. It think it is unethical, that is not the same thing as nefarious.

Silly is not the same as nefarious.

Return to The General Board