LeBron James files trademark request for "Taco Tuesday"

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

PhilBlackson
RealGM
And1: 42,258

Re: LeBron James files trademark request for "Taco Tuesday" 

Post#341 » by PhilBlackson » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:18 pm

The clock is ticking on LeBron's career...

He's gotta now focus on going back to back and trademarking Hump Day and if he has it in him Throwback Thursday.

#eyesontheprize
#witness
>>>SCOTTIEALLSTARSEASON<<< -- U KNOW THE VIBEZ :guitar: Club Shai Shai
Taking names of who OG will be better than Shaedon: DelAbbott, ThaCynic, pingpongrac, Los_29, OakleyDokley
Hes_On_Fire
Head Coach
And1: 9,315

Post#342 » by Hes_On_Fire » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:49 pm

Wolf of Ball St wrote:Regardless of his original intent, whether it was to actually use Taco Tuesday as a marketing vehicle or not, LeBron wins this decision. When the Trademark Office decided that Taco Tuesday is a commonplace term, it set a precedent to protect LeBron from being sued by any business (or anyone, for that matter) trying to get money. Any chance of someone who sought an opportunity to extort him for use of a term now gets squashed.

Nobody was going to sue LeBron for saying Taco Tuesday because nobody is as dumb as LeBron to think it's not just a regular everyday term.
New York Knicks franchise W-L record as of 9/2/22 since James L Dolan assumed full ownership (2001):

673-1,007
michaelm
RealGM
And1: 4,795

Post#343 » by michaelm » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:57 pm

BullyKing wrote:
spikeslovechild wrote:
BullyKing wrote:
Sure though I'll try not to get into the weeds too much. People think of a trademark as covering a word or phrase or logo, which is only partially correct. It covers a word or phrase or logo in connection with specific goods or services. So when you file a trademark application, you're not just saying I want a registration for the word X, but for the word X to be used on these goods and services.

The examiner refused the registration because the phrase Taco Tuesday is common place and cites to a bunch of internet advertisements to restaurants offering tacos for sale on Tuesday. Obviously no one could claim exclusive use of the phrase Taco Tuesday for selling tacos on Tuesday (for a myriad of legal reasons). But LBJ is seeking a registration for Taco Tuesday in connection with marketing services, which is completely different. What the examiner is really saying is that Taco Tuesday is a common phrase to describe or refer to marketing services, which I think is a facially ridiculous position.

The easiest example of the distinction is the word apple. No one could obtain a trademark for "apple" in connection with fruit because that is how everyone refers to it. Just like no one could claim exclusive right to the word pizza in connection with a baked pie with sauce and cheese. But that does not stop Apple, Inc. from owning hundreds of trademarks for "apple" in connection with computers, phones, and related goods and services because "apple" is in no way a common or generic way to refer to computer or phone.

Except Lebron isn't using "Taco Tuesday" different then how it used in public or marketing nor is he creating a company "Taco Tuesday" inc.

He is essentially trying to trade mark a commonly used phrase used for decades before he came along and say because he uses some voice inflection and makes a weird face that somehow makes it different.

The trademark office was right to slap his ass down.

That's actually exactly what he is saying. He applied for the mark for marketing services to use as the source of those services, either as a company name, a brand, a d/b/a, etc. Do you understand that if his registration is granted, every restaurant advertising a taco tuesday is still allowed to do that and not impacted in any way. All that it would prevent is someone else using Taco Tuesday as the source of a provider of marketing services.

It's not a good look to have such a strong opinion like the "trademark office was right to slap his ass down" when you don't really understand what you're talking about.

Except the trademark office would seem to actually agree with that opinion and to have given reasons for rejecting the application which accord with those argued by posters who considered the trademark application ridiculous. What would they know ?, of course.
dickfox
Senior
And1: 521

Post#344 » by dickfox » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:57 pm

Frig off LeBron, Taco Tuesday has been around for millennia enjoyed by families everywhere.

You can't have everything :-?
niQ
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 29,214

Post#345 » by niQ » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:11 pm

It's okay LeBron, you still have a chance at Taco Thursday.

#goforbroke
AbeVigodaLive
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,399

Post#346 » by AbeVigodaLive » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:13 pm

Personally, I think Chicken Empanada Friday Afternoon has a much better ring to it.
halfHAVOC
Assistant Coach
And1: 176

Post#347 » by halfHAVOC » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:14 pm

Any law student whose taken a basic copyright and trademark class could have told you that trademark application would be denied.
Stream My New Basketball Anthem "KING": https://ampl.ink/7QwkY
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 14,114

Post#348 » by BullyKing » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:12 pm

spikeslovechild wrote:
BullyKing wrote:
spikeslovechild wrote:
Except Lebron isn't using "Taco Tuesday" different then how it used in public or marketing nor is he creating a company "Taco Tuesday" inc.

He is essentially trying to trade mark a commonly used phrase used for decades before he came along and say because he uses some voice inflection and makes a weird face that somehow makes it different.

That's actually exactly what he is saying. He applied for the mark for marketing services to use as the source of those services, either as a company name, a brand, a d/b/a, etc. Do you understand that if his registration is granted, every restaurant advertising a taco tuesday is still allowed to do that and not impacted in any way. All that it would prevent is someone else using Taco Tuesday as the source of a provider of marketing services.

It's not a good look to have such a strong opinion like the "trademark office was right to slap his ass down" when you don't really understand what you're talking about.

That is not what the article claimed.

All of the articles including this one mentioned he wanted to use it in promotion material, social marketing, podcasts, etc. In other words he wanted to trademark the phrase and if successful he could sue any other company who used the phrase as infringing on his rights just for example like Gilette could sue any other company who used the phrase "The best a man can get" or Wendy's "Where is the beef" or American Express "Don't leave home without it".

That's great but the writers of whatever articles you are referring to are obviously also not trademark lawyers. I went to the USPTO and reviewed the application and office action myself to see precisely what goods and services were listed.
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers

Post#349 » by BullyKing » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:13 pm

halfHAVOC wrote:Any law student whose taken a basic copyright and trademark class could have told you that trademark application would be denied.

They could, but then they would receive a failing grade in their copyright and trademark class.
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers

Post#350 » by BullyKing » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:15 pm

michaelm wrote:
BullyKing wrote:
spikeslovechild wrote:

Except the trademark office would seem to actually agree with that opinion and to have given reasons for rejecting the application which accord with those argued by posters who considered the trademark application ridiculous. What would they know ?, of course.

I know, I was specifically addressing the reasons provided by the examiner and why he/she is incorrect. By the way, this is an Office Action. Most applications get an Office Action in response. This is not unusual or the end of the story.
NYSixersFan wrote:
SweetTouch
RealGM
And1: 2,961

Post#351 » by SweetTouch » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:18 pm

Once again the King working the media and youngstas, y’all always fall for the trap
Stop being so disrespectful.
TerryTate
Analyst
And1: 1,451

Post#352 » by TerryTate » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:22 pm

Even the Simpsons used it...... cmon Lebron
michaelm
RealGM
And1: 4,795

Post#353 » by michaelm » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:50 pm

BullyKing wrote:
michaelm wrote:
BullyKing wrote:

I know, I was specifically addressing the reasons provided by the examiner and why he/she is incorrect. By the way, this is an Office Action. Most applications get an Office Action in response. This is not unusual or the end of the story.

Sure, the trademark office being comprised of human beings may be wrong, but they are fairly likely to be somewhat familiar with trademark law, unfamiliarity with which seems to be be your criticism of the poster you chided and the criticism on this thread of those who ran the same line of argument the trademark office themselves have now propounded.

I think he was attempting to trademark employment of the term in close to the social context in which it has existed. If he wants to manufacture a Taco Tuesday smart phone I have no objection. If this now means he can use the term unmolested good luck to him, but I imagine he could have trademarked “LeBron’s Taco Tuesday podcast” without much difficulty.
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 56,526

Post#354 » by bisme37 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:52 pm

Now that Taco Tuesday fell through he can request a trademark for the King James Bible.
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers

Post#355 » by BullyKing » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:30 pm

michaelm wrote:
BullyKing wrote:
michaelm wrote:Except the trademark office would seem to actually agree with that opinion and to have given reasons for rejecting the application which accord with those argued by posters who considered the trademark application ridiculous. What would they know ?, of course.

Sure, the trademark office being comprised of human beings may be wrong, but they are fairly likely to be somewhat familiar with trademark law, unfamiliarity with which seems to be be your criticism of the poster you chided and the criticism on this thread of those who ran the same line of argument the trademark office themselves have now propounded.

I think he was attempting to trademark employment of the term in close to the social context in which it has existed. If he wants to manufacture a Taco Tuesday smart phone I have no objection. If this now means he can use the term unmolested good luck to him, but I imagine he could have trademarked “LeBron’s Taco Tuesday podcast” without much difficulty.

You're seriously underestimating the number of marks that are registered after receiving an initial OA like LeBron received.
NYSixersFan wrote:
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#356 » by Stillwater » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:36 pm

does anyone eat tacos anymore? I mean 90% of the options at fast food places that serve them are spin offs from the originals anyway.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
Bayside
Rookie
And1: 610

Post#357 » by Bayside » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:43 pm

He acts like he never saw a taco in Cleveland. And some revelation to him. Eat up. They are awesome. We all can agree? Not some applebee taco I am talking food truck tacos.

The thing that most expats miss the most from Cali. Those damn tacos. don't sue me!
isekii
Sixth Man
And1: 207

Post#358 » by isekii » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:45 pm

LeTaco Tuesday ?
Bynum = Future Olowokandi
Prepare to be disappointed Laker Fans.
Bayside
Rookie
And1: 610

Post#359 » by Bayside » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:47 pm

Stillwater wrote:does anyone eat tacos anymore? I mean 90% of the options at fast food places that serve them are spin offs from the originals anyway.

This. Tacos are everywhere but good tacos in California are good enough to get sued over. Just ask LeBron. When I vist Cali, I eat so many first few days I cant move. I understand what happend to him.. But he just took the love too far. #forevertacos
KyRo23
Lead Assistant
And1: 11,824

Post#360 » by KyRo23 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:31 pm

Didn't someone say this is already trademarked? It's crazy that since 1989 no one has been able to advertise "Taco Tuesday". That greedy company that already has it trademarked I tell ya!

Return to The General Board