LeBron James files trademark request for "Taco Tuesday"

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,560

Re: LeBron James files trademark request for "Taco Tuesday" 

Post#41 » by Duke4life831 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:00 pm

lakerz12 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:I dont follow LeBron on any social media, so I have no clue what connection he has to "Taco Tuesday". But honestly this just makes no sense to me. Almost every Mexican restaurant I go to has some kind of "Taco Tuesday" special. So now if one of these little mom and pop Mexican places uses "Taco Tuesday" in their advertisement they can get in troubled and have to pay LeBron James?

Dude if you want to trademark a phrase, be creative and create a new phrase, or at least use your money to pay someone to come up with a catchy catchphrase. This kind of just feels like such a trivial thing for him to do. Its not a big deal at all, more annoying and dumb more than anything else (just like Zion wanting to trademark "Lets Dance" or whatever). This just adds another small thing LeBron has done that just bugs me about him and keeps me from liking the dude. All time great on the court though.

No, they won't be in trouble. He trademarked it for the following categories:

Spoiler:
IC 009. US 021 023 026 036 038. G & S: Downloadable audio/visual works

IC 035. US 100 101 102. G & S: Advertising and marketing services provided by means of indirect methods of marketing communications, namely, social media, search engine marketing, inquiry marketing, internet marketing, mobile marketing, blogging and other forms of passive, sharable or viral communications channels

IC 038. US 100 101 104. G & S: Podcasting services

IC 041. US 100 101 107. G & S: Online entertainment services, namely, providing a website featuring non-downloadable videos, and social media posts in the field of sports, entertainment, current events and popular culture

So, a restaurant using the phrase does not really overlap with what he's trademarked.

And, if he actually tried to sue them he would likely lose. They've been using the phrase in commerce longer than he has and have some rights because of that.

Also, Trademarks are not typically used as an offensive weapon. They are typically a defense against other people using your mark and used for protecting your brand.

His thinking is likely that he wants to use the phrase in conjunction with these online ventures he has planned. So, he may as well have his attorney trademark the phrases. It doesn't mean he will try to sue anyone. It's just that Trademarks are very inexpensive for someone like LeBron, so he may as well have them in case someone else tries to use the same name on the same type of platform.

Ya so technically they wouldnt be allowed to mention their "Taco Tuesday" specials on their social media, which is how 95% of the restaurants now a days market themselves.
lakerz12
Head Coach
And1: 8,899

Post#42 » by lakerz12 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:04 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
lakerz12 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:I dont follow LeBron on any social media, so I have no clue what connection he has to "Taco Tuesday". But honestly this just makes no sense to me. Almost every Mexican restaurant I go to has some kind of "Taco Tuesday" special. So now if one of these little mom and pop Mexican places uses "Taco Tuesday" in their advertisement they can get in troubled and have to pay LeBron James?

Dude if you want to trademark a phrase, be creative and create a new phrase, or at least use your money to pay someone to come up with a catchy catchphrase. This kind of just feels like such a trivial thing for him to do. Its not a big deal at all, more annoying and dumb more than anything else (just like Zion wanting to trademark "Lets Dance" or whatever). This just adds another small thing LeBron has done that just bugs me about him and keeps me from liking the dude. All time great on the court though.

Spoiler:

IC 035. US 100 101 102. G & S: Advertising and marketing services provided by means of indirect methods of marketing communications, namely, social media, search engine marketing, inquiry marketing, internet marketing, mobile marketing, blogging and other forms of passive, sharable or viral communications channels

IC 041. US 100 101 107. G & S: Online entertainment services, namely, providing a website featuring non-downloadable videos, and social media posts in the field of sports, entertainment, current events and popular culture

So, a restaurant using the phrase does not really overlap with what he's trademarked.

And, if he actually tried to sue them he would likely lose. They've been using the phrase in commerce longer than he has and have some rights because of that.

Also, Trademarks are not typically used as an offensive weapon. They are typically a defense against other people using your mark and used for protecting your brand.

His thinking is likely that he wants to use the phrase in conjunction with these online ventures he has planned. So, he may as well have his attorney trademark the phrases. It doesn't mean he will try to sue anyone. It's just that Trademarks are very inexpensive for someone like LeBron, so he may as well have them in case someone else tries to use the same name on the same type of platform.

Ya so technically they wouldnt be allowed to mention their "Taco Tuesday" specials on their social media, which is how 95% of the restaurants now a days market themselves.

I'm not sure if LeBron's trademark covers that. But, they certainly could do that regardless. It would be up to LeBron to launch a Trademark Infringement lawsuit against them and to defend his Trademark in court. And as I said before he would likely lose. And he'd have to pay their attorney fees, etc. when he lost. It's just not something he would ever do.

The USPTO often grants Trademarks and Patents that would not hold up in court. That's why they aren't often used as an offensive weapon. It's only really useful to LeBron if someone tries to start ventures similar to his online and he can then possibly exclude them from using the phrase.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#43 » by Duke4life831 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:15 pm

lakerz12 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
lakerz12 wrote:

Spoiler:

I'm not sure if LeBron's trademark covers that. But, they certainly could do that regardless. It would be up to LeBron to launch a Trademark Infringement lawsuit against them and to defend his Trademark in court. And as I said before he would likely lose. And he'd have to pay their attorney fees, etc. when he lost. It's just not something he would ever do.

The USPTO often grants Trademarks and Patents that would not hold up in court. That's why they aren't often used as an offensive weapon. It's only really useful to LeBron if someone tries to start ventures similar to his online and he can then possibly exclude them from using the phrase.

I assume it would cover that going off of this one

"IC 035. US 100 101 102. G & S: Advertising and marketing services provided by means of indirect methods of marketing communications, namely, social media, search engine marketing, inquiry marketing, internet marketing, mobile marketing, blogging and other forms of passive, sharable or viral communications channels"

I feel like the entire point of trying to get the trademark covered for this section here is to have control of "Taco Tuesday" for social media and internet marketing purposes.

Which I really dont get the point of this from LeBron's standpoint. Why go after this part? It would be unbelievably horrible press if it comes out that LeBron and his team went after a restaurant for advertising their "Taco Tuesday" special on their social media account. It would look like pointless bullying from LeBron. If they aren't going to go after places that do that, why add this part into their trademark application?

Hell why the hell does he need to trademark a phrase as popular as Taco Tuesday that he didnt create to begin with is the main question I dont get.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#44 » by The Rebel » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:19 pm

Taco Johns trademarked Taco Tuesday 30 years ago, I would guess they updated to cover social media and such.
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 56,493

Post#45 » by bisme37 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:20 pm

Living in Los Angeles, Lebron can throw a rock from his front porch and hit at least a dozen different restaurants that do Taco Tuesday promotions. And he knows it. Same can be said in a lot of places around the country, really.

This is just truly ridiculous to me. He doesn't even sell tacos, he just eats them. He won't be granted this trademark, but if he did get it taco lovers and the restaurant industry would run him out of town.
RCM88x
RealGM
And1: 18,971

Post#46 » by RCM88x » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:21 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
lakerz12 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

"IC 035. US 100 101 102. G & S: Advertising and marketing services provided by means of indirect methods of marketing communications, namely, social media, search engine marketing, inquiry marketing, internet marketing, mobile marketing, blogging and other forms of passive, sharable or viral communications channels"

I feel like the entire point of trying to get the trademark covered for this section here is to have control of "Taco Tuesday" for social media and internet marketing purposes.

Which I really dont get the point of this from LeBron's standpoint. Why go after this part? It would be unbelievably horrible press if it comes out that LeBron and his team went after a restaurant for advertising their "Taco Tuesday" special on their social media account. It would look like pointless bullying from LeBron. If they aren't going to go after places that do that, why add this part into their trademark application?

Hell why the hell does he need to trademark a phrase as popular as Taco Tuesday that he didnt create to begin with is the main question I dont get.

99% of trademarked phrases weren't created by the trademark holder. Just search the trademark database if you don't believe me.

LookToShoot wrote:Melo is the only player that makes the Rockets watchable for the basketball purists. Otherwise it would just be three point shots and pick n roll.
Bayside
Rookie
And1: 610

Post#47 » by Bayside » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:21 pm

Is this just rude and greedy? New low. Not going to endear him to Californians i reckon.
JeepCSC
Starter
And1: 1,491

Post#48 » by JeepCSC » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:23 pm

None of this makes any sense.
Bayside
Rookie

Post#49 » by Bayside » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:25 pm

TheNG wrote:He should file a trademark request for other phrases as well:
"Coach Killer"
"Super Teams"
"ISO Ball"
"Stat Padder"
"Under Achiever"

I was thinking along the lines of
Pay day
weekend
hump day
piss off
Pet Poeltl
Pro Prospect
And1: 2,148

Post#50 » by Pet Poeltl » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:28 pm

Read on Twitter

So cringe.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#51 » by Duke4life831 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:28 pm

RCM88x wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
lakerz12 wrote:

99% of trademarked phrases we're created by the trademark holder. Just search the trademark database if you don't believe me.

I assume you meant "weren't" and that wouldnt surprise me at all.
lakerz12
Head Coach
And1: 8,899

Post#52 » by lakerz12 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:28 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
lakerz12 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

As I already told you, he's not going to do that. That's your idea.

The Trademark does not cover just using the phrase on social media. It pertains to commerce.

Again, for the third time, LeBron is only filing these to protect and defend against someone coming along and using the name for a similar business venture to whatever he is planning on doing or already doing.

He will not be suing any taco restaurants for goodness sakes. And if he did, as I already said, he would lose.
RCM88x
RealGM

Post#53 » by RCM88x » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:33 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
RCM88x wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

99% of trademarked phrases we're created by the trademark holder. Just search the trademark database if you don't believe me.

I assume you meant "weren't" and that wouldnt surprise me at all.

Yeah. Trademarks are kind of a pointless thing. I don't get why people become so upset about this stuff. Mostly due to not understanding what they actually are I guess.

LookToShoot wrote:Melo is the only player that makes the Rockets watchable for the basketball purists. Otherwise it would just be three point shots and pick n roll.
rockmanslim
General Manager
And1: 5,265

Post#54 » by rockmanslim » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:39 pm

I liked it the first few times he did it, because it was silly and spontaneous. Now it's starting to feel planned and pre-scripted.
click

"Harden's a guy that averages 26 in the NBA, but if he was on the playground with you he'd only average about 5 because they wouldn't let him get those free throws." --Scott Hastings, April 6, 2013

SK21209
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,829

Post#55 » by SK21209 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:43 pm

On behalf of all Southern Californians: **** you LeBron
Bayside
Rookie

Post#56 » by Bayside » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:53 pm

SK21209 wrote:On behalf of all Southern Californians: **** you LeBron

I am from Nor Cal originally... But would like to support this sentiment. What a sorry state of greed and narcissism on display daily from people with a podium... Sick
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,966

Post#57 » by zimpy27 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:56 pm

Epic

Gets a trademark and free publicity all in one.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
RCM88x
RealGM

Post#58 » by RCM88x » Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:00 pm

Bayside wrote:

I am from Nor Cal originally... But would like to support this sentiment. What a sorry state of greed and narcissism on display daily from people with a podium... Sick

On behalf of myself I say both of you have no idea what a trademark is.

azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 26,396

Post#59 » by azcatz11 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:04 pm

RCM88x wrote:
Bayside wrote:

Can you break it down for us not in the know? He's going to go after people who say 'Taco Tuesday' on social media right? Seems petty
Bayside
Rookie

Post#60 » by Bayside » Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:06 pm

RCM88x wrote:
Bayside wrote:

I think you missed the point though. This is a cultural identity, so having some guy from Cleveland come to town and put a stake into it is offensive.

Return to The General Board