If Tom Brady gets a 7th ring this year do you put him above Jordan as the most successful/winning player of the last 30?

Moderators: zimpy27, bwgood77, BombsquadSammy, Yuri Vaultin, PockyCandy, Prez, ken6199, Dirk, Domejandro

If Tom Brady get's a 7th ring this year do you put him above Jordan?

Yes ranked above Jordan
127
41%
No still below Jordan
182
59%
 
Total votes: 309

D.Brasco
Head Coach
Posts: 6,400
And1: 3,458
Joined: Nov 17, 2006

If Tom Brady gets a 7th ring this year do you put him above Jordan as the most successful/winning player of the last 30? 

Post#1 » by D.Brasco » Sun Sep 8, 2019 8:12 pm

Right now they are both tied with 6 rings a piece but with the recent AB signing many are thinking the Pats are almost guaranteed a 7th this year.

What it takes to get and contribute for a championship differs in the NBA and NFL but does Brady with 7 rings solidify him as the most successful North American modern athlete?
User avatar
RCM88x
RealGM
Posts: 12,900
And1: 17,423
Joined: May 31, 2015
Location: Lebron Ball
     

Re: If Tom Brady gets a 7th ring this year do you put him above Jordan as the most successful/winning player of the last 

Post#3 » by RCM88x » Sun Sep 8, 2019 8:28 pm

Hard to compare between sports imo.

I'd probably put both Woods and Williams above either, but if we're just talking about team sports then I guess both would be at the top.
LookToShoot wrote:Melo is the only player that makes the Rockets watchable for the basketball purists. Otherwise it would just be three point shots and pick n roll.


Phinsoverpats wrote:I bet the cavs really miss Andrew Wiggins....
User avatar
levon
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,065
And1: 6,226
Joined: Aug 04, 2017

Re: If Tom Brady gets a 7th ring this year do you put him above Jordan as the most successful/winning player of the last 

Post#4 » by levon » Sun Sep 8, 2019 8:30 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:6 superbowls is far more impressive than 6 NBA championships.

as someone who doesn't watch football, why do you say that? my understanding is that individual NBA players influence the outcome in basketball more than individuals in football?
User avatar
Dominater
RealGM
Posts: 13,670
And1: 19,416
Joined: Jan 16, 2005
Location: NBA Hell

Re: If Tom Brady gets a 7th ring this year do you put him above Jordan as the most successful/winning player of the last 

Post#5 » by Dominater » Sun Sep 8, 2019 8:44 pm

levon wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:6 superbowls is far more impressive than 6 NBA championships.

as someone who doesn't watch football, why do you say that? my understanding is that individual NBA players influence the outcome in basketball more than individuals in football?

Probably because in the NFL playoffs, every series is best of 1. So if you have a bad day in game 1, there is no game 2. So there are far more upsets and randomness in the NFL
Didn't like the Coby White pick. Preferred Rui. Now go out and make me look stupid Coby!
IgorK
Pro Prospect
Posts: 985
And1: 1,550
Joined: Mar 06, 2016
Location: Los Angeles
Contact:
     

Re: If Tom Brady gets a 7th ring this year do you put him above Jordan as the most successful/winning player of the last 

Post#6 » by IgorK » Sun Sep 8, 2019 8:50 pm

levon wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:6 superbowls is far more impressive than 6 NBA championships.

as someone who doesn't watch football, why do you say that? my understanding is that individual NBA players influence the outcome in basketball more than individuals in football?


Brady's 6 is already greater than Jordan's 6. It's more difficult to win in football for many reasons - 1-and-done playoff format, less control (Brady only plays offense, so he has no say on the defensive end, unlike basketball players), and the fact that you have 50+ teammates you need to rely on (whereas in basketball you're playing with a 12-man roster which shrinks to about 8 during playoffs).
"You want me to own a team and deal with these rich, spoiled stubborn athletes, and try to get them to perform? No thank you." - Kobe Bryant

Website
LeMasta
Starter
Posts: 2,195
And1: 1,713
Joined: May 10, 2015
 

Re: If Tom Brady gets a 7th ring this year do you put him above Jordan as the most successful/winning player of the last 

Post#7 » by LeMasta » Sun Sep 8, 2019 8:53 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:6 superbowls is far more impressive than 6 NBA championships.


From a team standpoint, I would agree. It's kind of weird to compare them in the first place if you're using that to measure individual success.
User avatar
Optms
RealGM
Posts: 13,942
And1: 4,940
Joined: Jun 11, 2009
 

Re: If Tom Brady gets a 7th ring this year do you put him above Jordan as the most successful/winning player of the last 

Post#8 » by Optms » Sun Sep 8, 2019 8:53 pm

No one cares about Brady outside of the United States, much less football, so no. Jordan dominated the sport and took it global. Call me when we get Euro's and the Chinese picking up footballs.
IgorK
Pro Prospect
Posts: 985
And1: 1,550
Joined: Mar 06, 2016
Location: Los Angeles
Contact:
     

Re: If Tom Brady gets a 7th ring this year do you put him above Jordan as the most successful/winning player of the last 

Post#9 » by IgorK » Sun Sep 8, 2019 8:56 pm

Optms wrote:No one cares about Brady outside of the United States, much less football, so no. Jordan dominated the sport and took it global. Call me when we get Euro's and the Chinese picking up footballs.


The question wasn't about who is more popular globally, the question is who is the most successful winning-wise.
"You want me to own a team and deal with these rich, spoiled stubborn athletes, and try to get them to perform? No thank you." - Kobe Bryant

Website
freethedevil
Analyst
Posts: 3,205
And1: 1,733
Joined: Dec 09, 2018
         

Re: If Tom Brady gets a 7th ring this year do you put him above Jordan as the most successful/winning player of the last 

Post#11 » by freethedevil » Sun Sep 8, 2019 8:59 pm

Lol how is this a question. Jordan doesn't have a clearly better case than kaj, russell, or lbj. Brady literally has the best longetivty, the most winning, and the highest peak.

Brady>>>>>>>jordan and honestly might have a case vs gretsky when we consider orr.

Like seriously, make a case against brady for goat, try to. He's the best/arguably the best at everything.
User avatar
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 36,416
And1: 7,449
Joined: Jul 19, 2005
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Re: If Tom Brady gets a 7th ring this year do you put him above Jordan as the most successful/winning player of the last 

Post#12 » by NO-KG-AI » Sun Sep 8, 2019 9:00 pm

Eh. It's too team oriented to vault him over Jordan. Tom Brady's first superbowl he was 16-27 with 145 yards and 1 touchdown. They won because the defense held the greatest show on turf to 17 points. They've blown two because the offense was mediocre. They just won their latest with 13 points from their offense, and none from brady.

Jordan has been put out in the playoffs, but none of it was because of he had a series equivalent to putting up 13 points as an offense, or not getting a touchdown, or having the gaffes they did against the Giants.

Tom's Superbowl against Atlanta was probably the most dominant half of football I've seen by a QB, and he definitely has some huge playoff wins too.

TLDR; Jordan was more directly dominant in all the wins, and the losses. Tom has had way more instances where he was off, but his teammates sealed the deal, than Jordan did. THat's not really a knock, it's football, it's just different. Tom might have been off more, but his performance is more directly tied to how well his teammates play as well, so it's not really his fault at times if protection is breaking down too soon, or his receivers just aren't holding up their end.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
User avatar
Dominater
RealGM
Posts: 13,670
And1: 19,416
Joined: Jan 16, 2005
Location: NBA Hell

Re: If Tom Brady gets a 7th ring this year do you put him above Jordan as the most successful/winning player of the last 

Post#13 » by Dominater » Sun Sep 8, 2019 9:03 pm

IgorK wrote:
levon wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:6 superbowls is far more impressive than 6 NBA championships.

as someone who doesn't watch football, why do you say that? my understanding is that individual NBA players influence the outcome in basketball more than individuals in football?


Brady's 6 is already greater than Jordan's 6. It's more difficult to win in football for many reasons - 1-and-done playoff format, less control (Brady only plays offense, so he has no say on the defensive end, unlike basketball players), and the fact that you have 50+ teammates you need to rely on (whereas in basketball you're playing with a 12-man roster which shrinks to about 8 during playoffs).

I agree with the 1st part, every game being game 7 makes it much more random and theres zero margin for a bad day in the NFL playoffs, whereas in the NBA you see the better team lose game 1 alot and just shake it off and adjust for game 2 and so on.

But the 2nd part could be a counter agrument.... That he only impacts one side of the ball, and needs to rely on others moreso than in basketball
Didn't like the Coby White pick. Preferred Rui. Now go out and make me look stupid Coby!
Crives
Analyst
Posts: 3,645
And1: 2,360
Joined: Feb 21, 2014
 

Re: If Tom Brady gets a 7th ring this year do you put him above Jordan as the most successful/winning player of the last 

Post#14 » by Crives » Sun Sep 8, 2019 9:07 pm

Well... Jordan and his team wasn’t found guilty of cheating multiple times
User avatar
levon
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,065
And1: 6,226
Joined: Aug 04, 2017

Re: If Tom Brady gets a 7th ring this year do you put him above Jordan as the most successful/winning player of the last 

Post#15 » by levon » Sun Sep 8, 2019 9:08 pm

Dominater wrote:
IgorK wrote:
levon wrote:as someone who doesn't watch football, why do you say that? my understanding is that individual NBA players influence the outcome in basketball more than individuals in football?


Brady's 6 is already greater than Jordan's 6. It's more difficult to win in football for many reasons - 1-and-done playoff format, less control (Brady only plays offense, so he has no say on the defensive end, unlike basketball players), and the fact that you have 50+ teammates you need to rely on (whereas in basketball you're playing with a 12-man roster which shrinks to about 8 during playoffs).

I agree with the 1st part, every game being game 7 makes it much more random and theres zero margin for a bad day in the NFL playoffs, whereas in the NBA you see the better team lose game 1 alot and just shake it off and adjust for game 2 and so on.

But the 2nd part could be a counter agrument.... That he only impacts one side of the ball, and needs to rely on others moreso than in basketball

Yeah that makes no sense to me. He needs like 30 other people to get things right yet he's somehow credited individually with someone that won titles in a team that went maybe 8 deep in playoff runs?

Just because superbowls are somehow more "difficult" to attain doesn't make Brady the better individual player in his respective sport. I mean he may be, I just don't know if that's an argument. Also wasn't he kind of meh in his last superbowl?
User avatar
Lalouie
Head Coach
Posts: 6,060
And1: 2,483
Joined: May 12, 2017

Re: If Tom Brady gets a 7th ring this year do you put him above Jordan as the most successful/winning player of the last 

Post#16 » by Lalouie » Sun Sep 8, 2019 9:11 pm

levon wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:6 superbowls is far more impressive than 6 NBA championships.

as someone who doesn't watch football, why do you say that? my understanding is that individual NBA players influence the outcome in basketball more than individuals in football?


one could take the opposite approach and say that is exactly why the football rings are harder. ie if the basketball player has dominion over the court and a star player for sure, then it is easier for him to control the outcome than a football player. if you take the extreme of a non-team athlete who has total control over everything, then the basketball athlete is the closest thing to a team player having a similar dominance as an individual athlete.

in any case bill russell has 11 rings, mj 6
brady ALREADY has more rings than any football player in history

=
brady is the more "successful winning" player in fball than mj is in bball
TheNG
Junior
Posts: 367
And1: 451
Joined: Feb 14, 2019

Re: If Tom Brady gets a 7th ring this year do you put him above Jordan as the most successful/winning player of the last 

Post#17 » by TheNG » Sun Sep 8, 2019 9:13 pm

freethedevil wrote:Lol how is this a question. Jordan doesn't have a clearly better case than kaj, russell, or lbj. Brady literally has the best longetivty, the most winning, and the highest peak.

Brady>>>>>>>jordan and honestly might have a case vs gretsky when we consider orr.

Like seriously, make a case against brady for goat, try to. He's the best/arguably the best at everything.

I saw what you did there :nonono:
IgorK
Pro Prospect
Posts: 985
And1: 1,550
Joined: Mar 06, 2016
Location: Los Angeles
Contact:
     

Re: If Tom Brady gets a 7th ring this year do you put him above Jordan as the most successful/winning player of the last 

Post#18 » by IgorK » Sun Sep 8, 2019 9:13 pm

levon wrote:
Dominater wrote:
IgorK wrote:
Brady's 6 is already greater than Jordan's 6. It's more difficult to win in football for many reasons - 1-and-done playoff format, less control (Brady only plays offense, so he has no say on the defensive end, unlike basketball players), and the fact that you have 50+ teammates you need to rely on (whereas in basketball you're playing with a 12-man roster which shrinks to about 8 during playoffs).

I agree with the 1st part, every game being game 7 makes it much more random and theres zero margin for a bad day in the NFL playoffs, whereas in the NBA you see the better team lose game 1 alot and just shake it off and adjust for game 2 and so on.

But the 2nd part could be a counter agrument.... That he only impacts one side of the ball, and needs to rely on others moreso than in basketball

Yeah that makes no sense to me. He needs like 30 other people to get things right yet he's somehow credited individually with someone that won titles in a team that went maybe 8 deep in playoff runs?

Just because superbowls are somehow more "difficult" to attain doesn't make Brady the better individual player in his respective sport. I mean he may be, I just don't know if that's an argument. Also wasn't he kind of meh in his last superbowl?


That's a valid point, but actually works in Brady's favor too. He is easily the greatest in his sport - there's pretty much no argument to be made.

There's more debate to be had in the case for basketball GOAT (MJ/Russell/KAJ/LeBron)
"You want me to own a team and deal with these rich, spoiled stubborn athletes, and try to get them to perform? No thank you." - Kobe Bryant

Website
Up-And-Coming
Senior
Posts: 740
And1: 344
Joined: Jul 21, 2015
         

Re: If Tom Brady gets a 7th ring this year do you put him above Jordan as the most successful/winning player of the last 

Post#19 » by Up-And-Coming » Sun Sep 8, 2019 9:14 pm

levon wrote:
Dominater wrote:
IgorK wrote:
Brady's 6 is already greater than Jordan's 6. It's more difficult to win in football for many reasons - 1-and-done playoff format, less control (Brady only plays offense, so he has no say on the defensive end, unlike basketball players), and the fact that you have 50+ teammates you need to rely on (whereas in basketball you're playing with a 12-man roster which shrinks to about 8 during playoffs).

I agree with the 1st part, every game being game 7 makes it much more random and theres zero margin for a bad day in the NFL playoffs, whereas in the NBA you see the better team lose game 1 alot and just shake it off and adjust for game 2 and so on.

But the 2nd part could be a counter agrument.... That he only impacts one side of the ball, and needs to rely on others moreso than in basketball

Yeah that makes no sense to me. He needs like 30 other people to get things right yet he's somehow credited individually with someone that won titles in a team that went maybe 8 deep in playoff runs?

Just because superbowls are somehow more "difficult" to attain doesn't make Brady the better individual player in his respective sport. I mean he may be, I just don't know if that's an argument. Also wasn't he kind of meh in his last superbowl?


Personally, I'm not the right person to claim who's the better player because I haven't followed either enough.

However, like you mentioned, it doesn't make sense to use the argument that it is harder to win a Superbowl than an NBA championship in defense for Brady as he relies far more on his teammates/Coach/franchise in general. Jordan impacted the game both on the offense and defense while playing roughly 83% of the entire game.
User avatar
Optms
RealGM
Posts: 13,942
And1: 4,940
Joined: Jun 11, 2009
 

Re: If Tom Brady gets a 7th ring this year do you put him above Jordan as the most successful/winning player of the last 

Post#20 » by Optms » Sun Sep 8, 2019 9:14 pm

IgorK wrote:
Optms wrote:No one cares about Brady outside of the United States, much less football, so no. Jordan dominated the sport and took it global. Call me when we get Euro's and the Chinese picking up footballs.


The question wasn't about who is more popular globally, the question is who is the most successful winning-wise.


Well, then its still Jordan. The game was tailored around post play during his era. Big men in general were thought to be a vital component of a title team. Much like how 3 point shooting and spacing is thought of today to be the key to an elite team.

No one thought it was even possible for a scoring guard to come in and be the center of a championship team, much less a dynasty. Jordan forever changed the game in an era where the game was heavily in favor of the big man. Imagine a dominant post big man coming in to today's game and winning 6 titles. It would be the equivalent to what Jordan did during the 90's.

Return to The General Board