If Tom Brady gets a 7th ring this year do you put him above Jordan as the most successful/winning player of the last 30?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

If Tom Brady get's a 7th ring this year do you put him above Jordan?

Yes ranked above Jordan
49%
No still below Jordan
51%

Total votes: 581

GordanFreeman
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,165

Re: If Tom Brady gets a 7th ring this year do you put him above Jordan as the most successful/winning player of the last 

Post#101 » by GordanFreeman » Mon Sep 9, 2019 2:27 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
gh123 wrote:Aren't there like 40 players on the pitch at the same time? Lol, how can you give all the credit to one particular then, especially when he doesn't play D.

We call it a "Field" here in America. :wink:

Not a soccer (Football) "Pitch".

It's 11 vs. 11 (Offense v. Defense)

And yes...It's the greatest team game played today.

Pfft. It's far from being the greatest team sport. **** has too many stoppages in play. There's 10 secs of action for every minute of inaction. Gives you aot of time to grab a beer or make a hamburger sandwich I guess.
Drygon
Veteran
And1: 4,723

Re: If Tom Brady gets a 7th ring this year do you put him above Jordan as the most successful/winning player of the last 

Post#102 » by Drygon » Mon Sep 9, 2019 2:29 pm

PhilBlackson wrote:The issue I have with that is Brady has had a couple of Superbowls "he" won where he was actually pretty mediocre to dare I say bad (gasp) but the Pats' TEAM DEFENSE was really what won them the game but hey he's the GOAT so he gets the narrative of all the credit...

For that reason, Jordan is still ahead for me.

Michael Jordan was pretty bad against SuperSonics in NBA Finals 1996 and got bailed out by Dennis Rodman in that series.

Nobody cares or even remembers. Same will happened with Brady even if he was poor in some of those SuperBowls wins.

Danny1616
General Manager
And1: 12,725

Post#103 » by Danny1616 » Mon Sep 9, 2019 2:33 pm

PhilBlackson wrote:The issue I have with that is Brady has had a couple of Superbowls "he" won where he was actually pretty mediocre to dare I say bad (gasp) but the Pats' TEAM DEFENSE was really what won them the game but hey he's the GOAT so he gets the narrative of all the credit...

For that reason, Jordan is still ahead for me.

The difficulty of the Super Bowl is that it's "one game", it's not a 7 game series.

Brady played incredible in the 2003 and 2004 Super Bowls, he broke Super Bowl records in the 2014 Super Bowl, he broke additional records in the 2017 Super Bowl, leading the Patriots to the greatest comeback in NFL history, and he broke the records for most yards thrown in a Super Bowl game in 2018 with 505 when they lost due to an atrocious defensive effort.

It's not that easy to make a Super Bowl.

Brady is the greatest post-season player in NFL history by a long shot statistically. He has the most comebacks in NFL playoff history - he literally has every record.

Not only that but Brady has made it to 13 AFC championship games in his career...do you understand how crazy that is?

No one in the NFL has come remotely close to Brady's accomplishments.
celtics543
Analyst
And1: 3,078

Post#104 » by celtics543 » Mon Sep 9, 2019 2:46 pm

eagereyez wrote:
BVB24 wrote:
IgorK wrote:
Brady's 6 is already greater than Jordan's 6. It's more difficult to win in football for many reasons - 1-and-done playoff format, less control (Brady only plays offense, so he has no say on the defensive end, unlike basketball players), and the fact that you have 50+ teammates you need to rely on (whereas in basketball you're playing with a 12-man roster which shrinks to about 8 during playoffs).

On the contrary, Brady’s team has had multiple cheating scandals and the “Tuck Rule” alone should negate one of his championships.

Now that I think about it, if the Seahawks just run the ball with Marshawn and Falcons’ don’t pull off the biggest choke job in Super Bowl history due to the worst play-calling I have ever seen in the second half of that game, Brady has 3 instead of 6. But that’s neither her nor there. Comparing these two sports is dumb in the first place.

The SB against the Seahawks highlights the flaw in comparing Brady with MJ. The Pats won the game at the very last minute.. while Brady was sitting on the bench watching the game with all the other fans. This is why comparing football and basketball is just dumb. MJ had a far greater impact on his team's success than Brady had for his.

You can argue that but Brady still had to put them in a position to win and completed a comeback against the Legion of Boom on the biggest stage possible.

I think you could argue this the other way and say that if his defense hadn't let him down against Philly he'd have 7 rings already.
Triples333
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,671

Post#105 » by Triples333 » Mon Sep 9, 2019 2:48 pm

IgorK wrote:
levon wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:6 superbowls is far more impressive than 6 NBA championships.

as someone who doesn't watch football, why do you say that? my understanding is that individual NBA players influence the outcome in basketball more than individuals in football?

Brady's 6 is already greater than Jordan's 6. It's more difficult to win in football for many reasons - 1-and-done playoff format, less control (Brady only plays offense, so he has no say on the defensive end, unlike basketball players), and the fact that you have 50+ teammates you need to rely on (whereas in basketball you're playing with a 12-man roster which shrinks to about 8 during playoffs).

None of this helps Brady's case over MJ. It simply illuminates how great the team has been and how much fortune they have had.
Jabroni Lames
Analyst
And1: 3,892

Post#106 » by Jabroni Lames » Mon Sep 9, 2019 2:56 pm

IgorK wrote:
Optms wrote:No one cares about Brady outside of the United States, much less football, so no. Jordan dominated the sport and took it global. Call me when we get Euro's and the Chinese picking up footballs.

The question wasn't about who is more popular globally, the question is who is the most successful winning-wise.

But the global talent pool is somewhat relevant when comparing GOATs across sports. Brady has a much, much smaller talent pool of athletes to compete against. Heck, even Jordan's era had way less top-tier global players than today. I mean Kobe & Lebron had to go up against Dirk & Duncan and now Lebron still has to compete with the Greek Freak, Embiid, Simmons, Gobert, Doncic, etc....

Tiger and Serena compete against the best of the best... worldwide.
Danny1616
General Manager
And1: 12,725

Post#107 » by Danny1616 » Mon Sep 9, 2019 2:57 pm

celtics543 wrote:
eagereyez wrote:
BVB24 wrote:
On the contrary, Brady’s team has had multiple cheating scandals and the “Tuck Rule” alone should negate one of his championships.

Now that I think about it, if the Seahawks just run the ball with Marshawn and Falcons’ don’t pull off the biggest choke job in Super Bowl history due to the worst play-calling I have ever seen in the second half of that game, Brady has 3 instead of 6. But that’s neither her nor there. Comparing these two sports is dumb in the first place.

The SB against the Seahawks highlights the flaw in comparing Brady with MJ. The Pats won the game at the very last minute.. while Brady was sitting on the bench watching the game with all the other fans. This is why comparing football and basketball is just dumb. MJ had a far greater impact on his team's success than Brady had for his.

You can argue that but Brady still had to put them in a position to win and completed a comeback against the Legion of Boom on the biggest stage possible.

I think you could argue this the other way and say that if his defense hadn't let him down against Philly he'd have 7 rings already.

Not only that but Brady broke NFL records throwing for over 400 yards and 4 touchdowns against the legion of boom, one of the greatest defenses in NFL history that had decimated Manning and the Bronco's in the Super Bowl the year prior.

Brady's performance against the Seahawks is one of the greatest games in QB history.
Triples333
Assistant Coach

Post#108 » by Triples333 » Mon Sep 9, 2019 3:00 pm

Jabroni Lames wrote:
IgorK wrote:
Optms wrote:No one cares about Brady outside of the United States, much less football, so no. Jordan dominated the sport and took it global. Call me when we get Euro's and the Chinese picking up footballs.

The question wasn't about who is more popular globally, the question is who is the most successful winning-wise.

But the global talent pool is somewhat relevant when comparing GOATs across sports. Brady has a much, much smaller talent pool of athletes to compete against. Heck, even Jordan's era had way less top-tier global players than today. I mean Kobe & Lebron had to go up against Dirk & Duncan and now Lebron still has to compete with the Greek Freak, Embiid, Simmons, Gobert, Doncic, etc....

LOL yeah man these Lebron V Simmons/Doncic/Gobert series have been epic.

Contemporaries of Jordan like Olajuwon, Barkley, Stockton/Malone, D Rob, Magic, Shaq can only dream..
Jabroni Lames
Analyst

Post#109 » by Jabroni Lames » Mon Sep 9, 2019 3:03 pm

Triples333 wrote:
Jabroni Lames wrote:
IgorK wrote:

lol. Yeah, I know. Lebron didn't even make it into the on-deck circle last year. Unlike Gobert & Simmons. But if you read closely, I'm actually giving Lebron more credit than Jordan for having to go up against tougher competition.
Triples333
Assistant Coach

Post#110 » by Triples333 » Mon Sep 9, 2019 3:07 pm

Jabroni Lames wrote:
Triples333 wrote:
Jabroni Lames wrote:

lol. Yeah, I know. Lebron didn't even make it into the on-deck circle last year. Unlike Gobert & Simmons. But if you read closely, I'm actually giving Lebron more credit than Jordan for having to go up against tougher competition.

I read it. It's an absolute joke of a statement made much more funny by including names like Doncic, Gobert and Simmons while ommiting Curry and the Warriors.
Jabroni Lames
Analyst

Post#111 » by Jabroni Lames » Mon Sep 9, 2019 3:13 pm

Triples333 wrote:
Jabroni Lames wrote:
Triples333 wrote:LOL yeah man these Lebron V Simmons/Doncic/Gobert series have been epic.

I read it. It's an absolute joke of a statement made much more laughable by including names like Doncic, Gobert and Simmons while ommiting Curry and the Warriors.

Again, you just illustrate the point that the NBA talent pool is massive in compared to the NFL and keeps getting bigger, while the NFL is still confined to the US. The real joke of a statement was that you tried to prove your point by mentioning Shaq and Barkley - 2 guys who wouldn't be superstars in this era. Maybe Duncan too. Still, I'm mostly agreeing with you.
Triples333
Assistant Coach

Post#112 » by Triples333 » Mon Sep 9, 2019 3:25 pm

Jabroni Lames wrote:
Triples333 wrote:
Jabroni Lames wrote:

I read it. It's an absolute joke of a statement made much more laughable by including names like Doncic, Gobert and Simmons while ommiting Curry and the Warriors.

Again, you just illustrate the point that the NBA talent pool is massive in compared to the NFL and keeps getting bigger, while the NFL is still confined to the US. The real joke of a statement was that you tried to prove your point by mentioning Shaq and Barkley - 2 guys who wouldn't be superstars in this era. Maybe Duncan too. Still, I'm mostly agreeing with you.

Wait I'm being trolled or people this clueless actually exist? Lol I'm being trolled.
Jabroni Lames
Analyst

Post#113 » by Jabroni Lames » Mon Sep 9, 2019 3:42 pm

Triples333 wrote:
Jabroni Lames wrote:
Triples333 wrote:I read it. It's an absolute joke of a statement made much more laughable by including names like Doncic, Gobert and Simmons while ommiting Curry and the Warriors.

I'm being trolled or people this clueless actually exist?

I'm sure that you're clue-full enough to figure it out. :wink: :lol:
ropjhk
RealGM
And1: 10,523

Post#114 » by ropjhk » Mon Sep 9, 2019 3:44 pm

When I think of Jordan's success I see the individual. When I think of Brady's success I have the Patriots organization in mind.

Brady's longevity and success since his early years make him a greater winner than Jordan. A 7th ring would seal this argument, but also consider how Brady didn't take any years off, kept winning into his 40's and has always been on one of the best teams throughout his career.

In terms of success, that can go either way depending on your criteria. Jordan is the more mythical figure who achieved a higher level of popularity and gets more individual credit for his teams wins. As a pro athlete, it's hard to rate anyone as being more successful as Jordan as he represents the epitome of what every pro athlete strives to achieve in their career. However as a winner, Brady is more successful than Jordan and his teams have had more success than Jordan.
Johnny Firpo
RealGM
And1: 8,684

Post#115 » by Johnny Firpo » Mon Sep 9, 2019 3:59 pm

Sure the NFL playoffs are one and done, but on the other hand you win two games, usually in your home stadium, and you are already in the final.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,435

Post#116 » by Cactus Jack » Mon Sep 9, 2019 4:06 pm

gh123 wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:
gh123 wrote:
Really? It looks there are more players than 22 at one time.

It may appear that way due to frequent substitutions. But it's always 11 vs. 11. If a team has more than 11 at any time, they are penalized for it.

I see. Anyway, can't be bothered to learn a new game.

I don't get it.

LOL at "can't be bothered to learn a new game". You sound like a typical American fan talking about the sport of "Soccer" Football. Europeans really need to get wit the program here. :wink:

It's remarkable to me that the sport hasn't caught on more around the world. It's truly an amazing game. It has extreme physicality, and strategy. Similar to Rugby in a sense.

Your missing out. :wink:
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,435

Post#117 » by Cactus Jack » Mon Sep 9, 2019 4:17 pm

GordanFreeman wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:
gh123 wrote:Aren't there like 40 players on the pitch at the same time? Lol, how can you give all the credit to one particular then, especially when he doesn't play D.

We call it a "Field" here in America. :wink:

Pfft. It's far from being the greatest team sport. **** has too many stoppages in play. There's 10 secs of action for every minute of inaction. Gives you aot of time to grab a beer or make a hamburger sandwich I guess.

And yet you appear to be a fan of Baseball (BlueJays logo)??? :wink:

Baseball, a sport that is as appealing to watch as watching paint dry for 3 hours no less. :lol:

Fwiw If you watched the NFL Redzone Channel on a Sunday, I bet you would have a different opinion on the matter.

But yeah...I wouldn't watch the CFL either. :wink:
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
Effigy
RealGM
And1: 11,935

Post#118 » by Effigy » Mon Sep 9, 2019 4:28 pm

freethedevil wrote:
Effigy wrote:No. Bill Russell has 11, and he’s not considered the greatest. It isn’t all about the rings. There are other factors.
1) Jordan never lost in the finals. Brady lost 3 superbowls.

6-3>6

Wow, It’s a good thing I had 4 other points then and that wasn’t my whole argument. Which you must have seen since you deleted them. Next time, try reading the whole thing please. :roll:
dtbrehm
Freshman
And1: 73

Post#119 » by dtbrehm » Mon Sep 9, 2019 4:29 pm

Six in the NFL is already more impressive to me than six in the NBA.

Fluke plays have a much larger impact in football than basketball because there's fewer scores/possessions. Playoffs are also Bo1 instead of Bo5/Bo7. It's much harder to consistently win the whole thing as the favorite, and their only underdog win was their very first SB, so it's not like they've benefited a ton from the other side of that.
GordanFreeman
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,165

Post#120 » by GordanFreeman » Mon Sep 9, 2019 4:35 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
GordanFreeman wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:We call it a "Field" here in America. :wink:

And yet you appear to be a fan of Baseball (BlueJays logo)??? :wink:

Baseball, a sport that is as appealing to watch as watching paint dry for 3 hours no less. :lol:

Fwiw If you watched the NFL Redzone Channel on a Sunday, I bet you would have a different opinion on the matter.

Living in toronto I try to support all of the pro sports teams. Baseball is boring to watch, don't disagree with you about that. Football, due to the constant stoppages, isn't much fun to watch either imo. And now that big hits are being penalized to protect players' brains, it's become even less fun to watch. It's by far the most watched sport in the USA but I feel that because it turns players' brains into mush, it'll become less and less popular in the coming decades.

Return to The General Board