SI's Top 100 NBA Rankings 2020

Moderators: zimpy27, bwgood77, BombsquadSammy, Yuri Vaultin, PockyCandy, Prez, ken6199, Dirk, Domejandro

User avatar
MrDollarBills
RealGM
Posts: 29,972
And1: 11,136
Joined: Feb 15, 2008
     

SI's Top 100 NBA Rankings 2020 

Post#1 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:54 pm

https://www.si.com/nba/top-100-nba-players-2020

Ranks 100-31, tomorrow the top 30 will be revealed.

I will say this much, where Klay Thompson is ranked on this list is utterly insane. Discuss.
Wear your insides...on the outside,
Show your enemy...what you look like
User avatar
Forte IV
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,835
And1: 3,827
Joined: Jun 12, 2008
Location: Los Angeles/Milwaukee
 

Re: SI's Top 100 NBA Rankings 2020 

Post#2 » by Forte IV » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:55 pm

Yeah if they're gonna punish Klay Thompson for a torn acl might as well leave Kevin Durant off the list.
If you want a good laugh, read this thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1765067
The4thHorseman
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,371
And1: 2,440
Joined: Jun 18, 2011

Re: SI's Top 100 NBA Rankings 2020 

Post#3 » by The4thHorseman » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:06 pm

Forte IV wrote:Yeah if they're gonna punish Klay Thompson for a torn acl might as well leave Kevin Durant off the list.

How is Klay getting punished? It's not like his salary is based on SI's ranking of him.

If he's not going to be available till the postseason, then he's actually ranked kind of high.
Yallbecrazy
Analyst
Posts: 3,155
And1: 3,122
Joined: Nov 25, 2013

Re: SI's Top 100 NBA Rankings 2020 

Post#4 » by Yallbecrazy » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:11 pm

Forte IV wrote:Yeah if they're gonna punish Klay Thompson for a torn acl might as well leave Kevin Durant off the list.


They might have
User avatar
AbeVigodaLive
Pro Prospect
Posts: 913
And1: 825
Joined: Nov 24, 2008

Re: SI's Top 100 NBA Rankings 2020 

Post#5 » by AbeVigodaLive » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:12 pm

Good to see that Andrew Wiggins remains one of the league's very best players.
User avatar
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 11,970
And1: 10,941
Joined: Jul 13, 2014

Re: SI's Top 100 NBA Rankings 2020 

Post#6 » by zimpy27 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:18 pm

This list is all over the place.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
User avatar
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 14,577
And1: 14,334
Joined: Sep 07, 2010

Re: SI's Top 100 NBA Rankings 2020 

Post#7 » by Clyde Frazier » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:25 pm

So Mitchell Robinson made the top 30 going into his soph season. Impressive!
The_Hater
RealGM
Posts: 69,534
And1: 22,462
Joined: May 23, 2001
     

Re: SI's Top 100 NBA Rankings 2020 

Post#8 » by The_Hater » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:41 pm

zimpy27 wrote:This list is all over the place.


No matter who makes a top 100 list, it will look all over the place and everyone will have a different opinion about it.

My theory has always been the same, anyone criticizing a player ranking list needs to post their own so that we can all pick it apart. ;)
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.


April 14th, 2019.
User avatar
Infinite Llamas
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,114
And1: 11,135
Joined: Jul 22, 2006
Location: Land of Llamas
   

Re: SI's Top 100 NBA Rankings 2020 

Post#9 » by Infinite Llamas » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:45 pm

I know that Bagley and Ayton are young and LaVine has some flaws but I will take them every day of the week over Aminu. Aminu was MIA for nearly all of the Denver series.

The list seems high on plug-in guys like Tucker, Thad, Aminu, Covington who you can put into any system and get results. I think every team needs guys like that, but they may be a bit over represented here.

Booker is in their top 50 and he’s as bad a defender as LaVine and plays on a worse team. Why is he rewarded when he is just as unproven as guys like LaVine and Young?
Gerald Green Loves LLamas!
User avatar
Hindenburg
Head Coach
Posts: 6,199
And1: 11,603
Joined: Feb 10, 2015
 

Re: SI's Top 100 NBA Rankings 2020 

Post#10 » by Hindenburg » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:45 pm

Yeah feels like they just randomly pulled names out of the bag
NjtoBk201
Sophomore
Posts: 231
And1: 212
Joined: Jun 06, 2019
       

Re: SI's Top 100 NBA Rankings 2020 

Post#11 » by NjtoBk201 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:47 pm

that list is all kinds of awful
Crives
Analyst
Posts: 3,645
And1: 2,360
Joined: Feb 21, 2014
 

Re: SI's Top 100 NBA Rankings 2020 

Post#12 » by Crives » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:51 pm

Can’t wait for actual season to start.... sick of these silly lists
User avatar
AbeVigodaLive
Pro Prospect
Posts: 913
And1: 825
Joined: Nov 24, 2008

Re: SI's Top 100 NBA Rankings 2020 

Post#13 » by AbeVigodaLive » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:53 pm

Infinite Llamas wrote:I know that Bagley and Ayton are young and LaVine has some flaws but I will take them every day of the week over Aminu. Aminu was MIA for nearly all of the Denver series.

The list seems high on plug-in guys like Tucker, Thad, Aminu, Covington who you can put into any system and get results. I think every team needs guys like that, but they may be a bit over represented here.

Booker is in their top 50 and he’s as bad a defender as LaVine and plays on a worse team. Why is he rewarded when he is just as unproven as guys like LaVine and Young?



This annual list remains highly influenced by Ben Golliver, formerly of SI and on the SI Open Floor podcast.

He's very analytics-friendly... and champions limited players like Tucker or Aminu or Covington for staying in their lane(s)... while taking every opportunity to rip "losers" like Towns or Booker and even DeRozan.
The_Hater
RealGM
Posts: 69,534
And1: 22,462
Joined: May 23, 2001
     

Re: SI's Top 100 NBA Rankings 2020 

Post#14 » by The_Hater » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:17 pm

The4thHorseman wrote:
Forte IV wrote:Yeah if they're gonna punish Klay Thompson for a torn acl might as well leave Kevin Durant off the list.

How is Klay getting punished? It's not like his salary is based on SI's ranking of him.

If he's not going to be available till the postseason, then he's actually ranked kind of high.


Well he’s not the 58th beat player in the league so putting him there just looks confusing and wrong. Personally, I would either rank him based on full health or leave him off the list entirely.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.


April 14th, 2019.
Triples333
Veteran
Posts: 2,752
And1: 2,627
Joined: Sep 05, 2016

Re: SI's Top 100 NBA Rankings 2020 

Post#15 » by Triples333 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:32 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:https://www.si.com/nba/top-100-nba-players-2020

Ranks 100-31, tomorrow the top 30 will be revealed.

I will say this much, where Klay Thompson is ranked on this list is utterly insane. Discuss.

This is for their projected level next season. He should have probably been lower as there is a decent chance he won't play at all (and if he does will not be good), but it's tough spot for a rankings list.

I only took a quick glance at some of the names but I like most of the slots/reasoning. This is not an easy process and it's very easy to say "this list is terrible" when some choices don't vibe. There is no top 100 list you could make where 50% of fans don't think it's a hot mess.

Curious to see what the top 10 looks like.
fianchetto
Senior
Posts: 563
And1: 806
Joined: Apr 17, 2016
 

Re: SI's Top 100 NBA Rankings 2020 

Post#16 » by fianchetto » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:36 pm

AbeVigodaLive wrote:
Infinite Llamas wrote:I know that Bagley and Ayton are young and LaVine has some flaws but I will take them every day of the week over Aminu. Aminu was MIA for nearly all of the Denver series.

The list seems high on plug-in guys like Tucker, Thad, Aminu, Covington who you can put into any system and get results. I think every team needs guys like that, but they may be a bit over represented here.

Booker is in their top 50 and he’s as bad a defender as LaVine and plays on a worse team. Why is he rewarded when he is just as unproven as guys like LaVine and Young?



This annual list remains highly influenced by Ben Golliver, formerly of SI and on the SI Open Floor podcast.

He's very analytics-friendly... and champions limited players like Tucker or Aminu or Covington for staying in their lane(s)... while taking every opportunity to rip "losers" like Towns or Booker and even DeRozan.


Golliver is a clown and not much different than the loudmouths at ESPN. He does things for clicks, make no mistake about it.
jinxed
Starter
Posts: 2,084
And1: 1,230
Joined: Oct 11, 2009

Re: SI's Top 100 NBA Rankings 2020 

Post#17 » by jinxed » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:57 pm

Neither Klay nor Durant should be on the list.
Check out my book! "The Awakened Ape :A Biohacker's Guide to Evolutionary Fitness, Natural Ecstasy, and Stress-Free Living"

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MSJN3Q4?ref_=pe_2427780_160035660
In2ition
Senior
Posts: 548
And1: 224
Joined: Jan 24, 2014

Re: SI's Top 100 NBA Rankings 2020 

Post#18 » by In2ition » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:57 pm

The_Hater wrote:
The4thHorseman wrote:
Forte IV wrote:Yeah if they're gonna punish Klay Thompson for a torn acl might as well leave Kevin Durant off the list.

How is Klay getting punished? It's not like his salary is based on SI's ranking of him.

If he's not going to be available till the postseason, then he's actually ranked kind of high.


Well he’s not the 58th beat player in the league so putting him there just looks confusing and wrong. Personally, I would either rank him based on full health or leave him off the list entirely.

Is he really much higher than 58? This question might come out as a hot take or blasphemy, but looking at his advanced stats from last season: OBPM(1.2), DBPM(-2.0), BPM(-0.8), & VORP(0.8) and even ORtg vs DRtg(110 vs 112) doesn't show that he's an amazing defensive player. And he's never shown to be a great creator in that his highest Assist rate per 100 possessions was 4.4 while at the same time his TOV was 3.0. I know he's great with Curry and Draymond, but is he really being disrespected and causing confusion?
dhsilv2
RealGM
Posts: 16,854
And1: 6,305
Joined: Oct 04, 2015

Re: SI's Top 100 NBA Rankings 2020 

Post#19 » by dhsilv2 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:05 pm

Klay given the injury seems high. Covington is either expected to not bounce back or is comically under valued here. But hey that's SI...these lists are often nothing more than pulling names out of a hat.
SwatLakeCity527
Senior
Posts: 629
And1: 782
Joined: Apr 29, 2017
     

Re: SI's Top 100 NBA Rankings 2020 

Post#20 » by SwatLakeCity527 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:47 pm

Does anyone even pay attention to SI? I shouldn't complain... still better than ESPN.

Return to The General Board