The unusual path of new Raptors assistant coach Brittni Donaldson

Moderators: zimpy27, Yuri Vaultin, bwgood77, BombsquadSammy, PockyCandy, Prez, ken6199, Dirk, Domejandro

User avatar
Hoodwink
Pro Prospect
Posts: 763
And1: 1,042
Joined: Feb 07, 2018
 

Re: The unusual path of new Raptors assistant coach Brittni Donaldson 

Post#81 » by Hoodwink » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:03 am

Texas Chuck wrote:
Hoodwink wrote:[
Nice self righteous post there, bud.

I mean let’s choose to ignore what happened to Knicks excec Anucha Browne Sanders, Knicks intern with Malbury, The Mavericks FO, and probably other NBA teams with dirty laundry while we’re at it.

Let’s put young, impressionable teens (drafts out of high school and some being from the hood) around young authoritative females. I’m sure that’s going to work out and they’ll teach them how to be men. I’m not saying it can’t happen but you’d be an idiot not to see that potential disaster.


But your solution seems to be to deny opportunity to a potential, theoretical victim. That's wrong on every level.

Mavs' business culture was flat trash. Some small consolation as a fan that it didn't carry over to the basketball side. But the right answer would be to clean house and change the culture, not refuse to hire more women because Pants DJ and Earl K Sneed were perverts, right?

I'm stunned that you guys hold this position. I try and see things from every perspective but I just can't get there with you'll on this.


The NBA is a sport made up of 100% men. Men not women. When there comes a day when a female/trans enters the NBA my viewpoint will change.

Ask yourself one question. The NBA is but an infant when compared to the EPL, La liga, NFL, NHL, MLB etc. How many women do you see in power in any of these sports? How many women play in any of these leagues as players? I’m not saying things shouldn’t change or progress shouldn’t be made but somethings can be awkward for the players especially the younger ones from rougher backgrounds.

Your old man of a coach screaming and belittling you when you don’t hustle on defense is different from a young women screaming and belittling you in front of other grown men. It’s technically the same..but it’s also different on how it’s received and perhaps more infuriating/embarrassing.

I liken it to this; I as a man have a problem with my sexual organ, I feel awkward and uncomfortable speaking to a female physician, (qualified as she may be) than a male physician. It’s honestly just more relatable.

Yes, we as men have done wrong and can be better...but don’t be afraid of being a man.
Image
User avatar
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
Posts: 20,979
And1: 22,600
Joined: Jun 27, 2002
   

Re: The unusual path of new Raptors assistant coach Brittni Donaldson 

Post#82 » by Duffman100 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:07 am

Hoodwink wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:
Hoodwink wrote:[
Nice self righteous post there, bud.

I mean let’s choose to ignore what happened to Knicks excec Anucha Browne Sanders, Knicks intern with Malbury, The Mavericks FO, and probably other NBA teams with dirty laundry while we’re at it.

Let’s put young, impressionable teens (drafts out of high school and some being from the hood) around young authoritative females. I’m sure that’s going to work out and they’ll teach them how to be men. I’m not saying it can’t happen but you’d be an idiot not to see that potential disaster.


But your solution seems to be to deny opportunity to a potential, theoretical victim. That's wrong on every level.

Mavs' business culture was flat trash. Some small consolation as a fan that it didn't carry over to the basketball side. But the right answer would be to clean house and change the culture, not refuse to hire more women because Pants DJ and Earl K Sneed were perverts, right?

I'm stunned that you guys hold this position. I try and see things from every perspective but I just can't get there with you'll on this.


The NBA is a sport made up of 100% men. Men not women. When there comes a day when female enters the NBA my view will change.

Ask yourself one question. The NBA is but an infant when compared to the EPL, La liga, NFL, NHL, MLB etc. How many women do you see in power in any of these sports? How many women play in any of these leagues? I’m not saying things shouldn’t change or progress shouldn’t be made but somethings can be awkward for the players.

Your old man of a coach screaming and belittling you when you don’t hustle on defense is different from a young women screaming and belittling you in front of other grown men. It’s technically the same..but it’s also different and perhaps more infuriating/embarrassing.

I liken it to this; I as a man have a problem with my sexual organ, I feel awkward and uncomfortable speaking to a female physician, qualified as she may be than a male physician. It’s honestly just more relatable.

Yes, we as men have done wrong and can be better...but don’t be afraid of being a man.


Just so much wrong... hard to unpack it all.
User avatar
kulaz3000
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
Posts: 36,177
And1: 16,193
Joined: Oct 25, 2006

Re: The unusual path of new Raptors assistant coach Brittni Donaldson 

Post#83 » by kulaz3000 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:10 am

Pharenheit wrote:Good looking gal too. Wouldn't be shocked if Raptor players shoot their shot at her


Though I'm sure you had no malice in this comment, but it's this line of thinking which is part of the problem when it comes to women in a male deominate industry and not being taken seriously.
Why so serious?
User avatar
Hoodwink
Pro Prospect
Posts: 763
And1: 1,042
Joined: Feb 07, 2018
 

Re: The unusual path of new Raptors assistant coach Brittni Donaldson 

Post#84 » by Hoodwink » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:11 am

Duffman100 wrote:
Hoodwink wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:
But your solution seems to be to deny opportunity to a potential, theoretical victim. That's wrong on every level.

Mavs' business culture was flat trash. Some small consolation as a fan that it didn't carry over to the basketball side. But the right answer would be to clean house and change the culture, not refuse to hire more women because Pants DJ and Earl K Sneed were perverts, right?

I'm stunned that you guys hold this position. I try and see things from every perspective but I just can't get there with you'll on this.


The NBA is a sport made up of 100% men. Men not women. When there comes a day when female enters the NBA my view will change.

Ask yourself one question. The NBA is but an infant when compared to the EPL, La liga, NFL, NHL, MLB etc. How many women do you see in power in any of these sports? How many women play in any of these leagues? I’m not saying things shouldn’t change or progress shouldn’t be made but somethings can be awkward for the players.

Your old man of a coach screaming and belittling you when you don’t hustle on defense is different from a young women screaming and belittling you in front of other grown men. It’s technically the same..but it’s also different and perhaps more infuriating/embarrassing.

I liken it to this; I as a man have a problem with my sexual organ, I feel awkward and uncomfortable speaking to a female physician, qualified as she may be than a male physician. It’s honestly just more relatable.

Yes, we as men have done wrong and can be better...but don’t be afraid of being a man.


Just so much wrong... hard to unpack it all.


Meh, not saying you have to agree with me.
Image
User avatar
kulaz3000
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
Posts: 36,177
And1: 16,193
Joined: Oct 25, 2006

Re: The unusual path of new Raptors assistant coach Brittni Donaldson 

Post#85 » by kulaz3000 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:12 am

Duffman100 wrote:
Trippinskarlo wrote:Are we supposed to believe this 26 year old girl is the most qualified person for the job or pretend she is?


What's your definition of qualified? Also at 26, she's a woman...not a girl.

The other day I hired a less 'qualified' developer over a more qualifed one, because they were wicked smart and I knew they'd be a better employee in 6 months.

Hiring isn't all about experience, but seeing the potential in people and investing early.


When young men do similar, where they reach success in their 20's they are considered geniuses or revolutionary business men, but when it's a woman, you question whether they are qualified or not. Sounds about right.
Why so serious?
User avatar
spacemonkey
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,805
And1: 6,687
Joined: Nov 24, 2004

Re: The unusual path of new Raptors assistant coach Brittni Donaldson 

Post#86 » by spacemonkey » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:31 am

We shouldn't offer jobs to women because they might be involved in a sexual harassment case, AND THEN WHAT?

Women's lawyers may deliberately try to play the sexual harassment card the moment there is any trouble, AND THEN WHAT DO YOU DO???!

Any woman hire is implicitly a PR move, we all know this! BUT WHAT IF THAT PR TURNS BAD WHEN THAT WOMAN IS INVOLVED IN A SEXUAL HARASSMENT CASE?

Women in positions of authority dealing with young men FROM THE HOOD? Holy Jesus are you kidding me?!

No, I'm not afraid of nor do I feel threatened by women, why do you ask? I mean, are we SURE she's the most qualified for the job?
TheBallsDeeper
Pro Prospect
Posts: 839
And1: 988
Joined: Nov 20, 2017
       

Re: The unusual path of new Raptors assistant coach Brittni Donaldson 

Post#87 » by TheBallsDeeper » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:46 am

clyde21 wrote:damn she's only 26? she's younger than Buddy Hield as a rookie

Thon Maker is old enough to be her father.
Lockdown504090
Sophomore
Posts: 138
And1: 160
Joined: Nov 24, 2015
         

Re: The unusual path of new Raptors assistant coach Brittni Donaldson 

Post#88 » by Lockdown504090 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:47 am

she also plays in a Pretty high level men's league and bullies a bunch of men. I don't know why she isn't in the WNBA.
User avatar
Raps in 4
RealGM
Posts: 42,817
And1: 28,362
Joined: Nov 01, 2008
Location: Toronto
 

Re: The unusual path of new Raptors assistant coach Brittni Donaldson 

Post#89 » by Raps in 4 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:39 pm

I never understood why so many organizations insist on hiring dinosaurs. Going young is the way to go. You get cheaper personnel with more up-to-date knowledge.
User avatar
MrDollarBills
RealGM
Posts: 30,449
And1: 11,484
Joined: Feb 15, 2008
     

Re: The unusual path of new Raptors assistant coach Brittni Donaldson 

Post#90 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:00 pm

Hoodwink wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:
Hoodwink wrote:[
Nice self righteous post there, bud.

I mean let’s choose to ignore what happened to Knicks excec Anucha Browne Sanders, Knicks intern with Malbury, The Mavericks FO, and probably other NBA teams with dirty laundry while we’re at it.

Let’s put young, impressionable teens (drafts out of high school and some being from the hood) around young authoritative females. I’m sure that’s going to work out and they’ll teach them how to be men. I’m not saying it can’t happen but you’d be an idiot not to see that potential disaster.


But your solution seems to be to deny opportunity to a potential, theoretical victim. That's wrong on every level.

Mavs' business culture was flat trash. Some small consolation as a fan that it didn't carry over to the basketball side. But the right answer would be to clean house and change the culture, not refuse to hire more women because Pants DJ and Earl K Sneed were perverts, right?

I'm stunned that you guys hold this position. I try and see things from every perspective but I just can't get there with you'll on this.


The NBA is a sport made up of 100% men. Men not women. When there comes a day when a female/trans enters the NBA my viewpoint will change.

Ask yourself one question. The NBA is but an infant when compared to the EPL, La liga, NFL, NHL, MLB etc. How many women do you see in power in any of these sports? How many women play in any of these leagues as players? I’m not saying things shouldn’t change or progress shouldn’t be made but somethings can be awkward for the players especially the younger ones from rougher backgrounds.

Your old man of a coach screaming and belittling you when you don’t hustle on defense is different from a young women screaming and belittling you in front of other grown men. It’s technically the same..but it’s also different on how it’s received and perhaps more infuriating/embarrassing.

I liken it to this; I as a man have a problem with my sexual organ, I feel awkward and uncomfortable speaking to a female physician, (qualified as she may be) than a male physician. It’s honestly just more relatable.

Yes, we as men have done wrong and can be better...but don’t be afraid of being a man.


Well, first of all I think that what you want and your comfort level with physicians is a personal choice, so if you feel more comfortable with male doctors that's perfectly fine. Me personally outside of my old pediatrician (who was awesome), most my doctors have been women. I just feel more comfortable and at ease.

It seems like you have the mentality of someone who thinks women would be better suited sitting at home rearing children then out in the work force or in this case, getting opportunities in male dominated sports. I'm not saying that to insult you because I don't think you're coming from a place of malice, but it seems like this is where you're headed with this. We have men coaching in women's sports leagues and no one bats an eye, but for some reason with women coaching and instructing men, guys have issues with it and I just don't get it. It's fragility at it's finest...if someone is qualified and can instruct and teach you things that can improve you in your craft...why not listen to them? It really is weird to me that dudes have these hang ups, as if they feel emasculated or something when it's nothing of the sort. You should read what Pau Gasol, an NBA Champion and a 1st ballot hall of famer, wrote about Becky Hammon and her coaching of him.

You're also stereotyping players that come from poor urban areas, acting as if dudes from the hood won't or cannot take instruction or guidance from women...which would be ironic since a lot of single family households in those areas are headed by women. You're either projecting or you have a really low opinion on minority athletes from poor areas. For every ass hole player that comes from a bad area there are 10 guys that aren't.

Also, I don't know what being for equal opportunity and treating women with respect have to do with "being afraid of being a man". To me, not being threatened by women earning opportunities is being more of a man than sitting there wanting to gatekeep women from advancing in various fields, either it be sports or otherwise.
Wear your insides...on the outside,
Show your enemy...what you look like
freethedevil
Analyst
Posts: 3,707
And1: 1,925
Joined: Dec 09, 2018
         

Re: The unusual path of new Raptors assistant coach Brittni Donaldson 

Post#91 » by freethedevil » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:45 pm

Jadoogar wrote:
Pharenheit wrote:
fianchetto wrote:
This is why it's so hard for women to get ahead. No respect for her accomplishments, just care about her appearance


So now complimenting a woman's appearance counts as being sexist?


It's just a dumb unnecessary comment. No one comments on Daryl Morey or Frank Vogel's looks.

No, but plenty of people commented and still do on brad steven's look. It's almost like people with good looks get more attention than those without....



MrDollarBills wrote:
Pharenheit wrote:
fianchetto wrote:
This is why it's so hard for women to get ahead. No respect for her accomplishments, just care about her appearance


So now complimenting a woman's appearance counts as being sexist?


Context matters. Complimenting a woman's appearance on the surface isn't a sexist act.

However, the topic is about her skills as an analytics guru and how she has gone on to become an assistant coach because of it, not about her appearance or if Raptors players want to bang her.

So I would say yes, your comment was pretty damn sexist.

This is such a reach. Plenty of aesthetic observations are made regarding attractive males on this forum even on threads that have to do with their accomplishments/achievements. While it's certainly possible this comment could be made with sexist intentions, there is literally no way for you to deduce that there's sexism involved here simply because "context matters". Going on witch hunts regarding potential transgressions does nothing but take away from when actual sexism takes place.
User avatar
MrDollarBills
RealGM
Posts: 30,449
And1: 11,484
Joined: Feb 15, 2008
     

Re: The unusual path of new Raptors assistant coach Brittni Donaldson 

Post#92 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:23 pm

freethedevil wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
Pharenheit wrote:
So now complimenting a woman's appearance counts as being sexist?


Context matters. Complimenting a woman's appearance on the surface isn't a sexist act.

However, the topic is about her skills as an analytics guru and how she has gone on to become an assistant coach because of it, not about her appearance or if Raptors players want to bang her.

So I would say yes, your comment was pretty damn sexist.

This is such a reach. Plenty of aesthetic observations are made regarding attractive males on this forum even on threads that have to do with their accomplishments/achievements. While it's certainly possible this comment could be made with sexist intentions, there is literally no way for you to deduce that there's sexism involved here simply because "context matters". Going on witch hunts regarding potential transgressions does nothing but take away from when actual sexism takes place.


Find me posts of dudes on here talking about how hot some NBA player is, and wondering if people are going to try and bang him, in topics of discussion after he wins an award or accomplishes something. I'll wait.
Wear your insides...on the outside,
Show your enemy...what you look like
fianchetto
Senior
Posts: 584
And1: 833
Joined: Apr 17, 2016
 

Re: The unusual path of new Raptors assistant coach Brittni Donaldson 

Post#93 » by fianchetto » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:26 pm

freethedevil wrote:
Jadoogar wrote:
Pharenheit wrote:
So now complimenting a woman's appearance counts as being sexist?


It's just a dumb unnecessary comment. No one comments on Daryl Morey or Frank Vogel's looks.

No, but plenty of people commented and still do on brad steven's look. It's almost like people with good looks get more attention than those without....



MrDollarBills wrote:
Pharenheit wrote:
So now complimenting a woman's appearance counts as being sexist?


Context matters. Complimenting a woman's appearance on the surface isn't a sexist act.

However, the topic is about her skills as an analytics guru and how she has gone on to become an assistant coach because of it, not about her appearance or if Raptors players want to bang her.

So I would say yes, your comment was pretty damn sexist.

This is such a reach. Plenty of aesthetic observations are made regarding attractive males on this forum even on threads that have to do with their accomplishments/achievements. While it's certainly possible this comment could be made with sexist intentions, there is literally no way for you to deduce that there's sexism involved here simply because "context matters". Going on witch hunts regarding potential transgressions does nothing but take away from when actual sexism takes place.


Your post is almost as misguided as the initial comment.

Saying "plenty of aesthetic observations are made regarding attractive males" in this context is like saying "plenty of racist remarks are made about white people." Can you spot the analogy?
freethedevil
Analyst
Posts: 3,707
And1: 1,925
Joined: Dec 09, 2018
         

Re: The unusual path of new Raptors assistant coach Brittni Donaldson 

Post#94 » by freethedevil » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:57 pm

fianchetto wrote:
freethedevil wrote:
Jadoogar wrote:
It's just a dumb unnecessary comment. No one comments on Daryl Morey or Frank Vogel's looks.

No, but plenty of people commented and still do on brad steven's look. It's almost like people with good looks get more attention than those without....



MrDollarBills wrote:
Context matters. Complimenting a woman's appearance on the surface isn't a sexist act.

However, the topic is about her skills as an analytics guru and how she has gone on to become an assistant coach because of it, not about her appearance or if Raptors players want to bang her.

So I would say yes, your comment was pretty damn sexist.



Saying "plenty of aesthetic observations are made regarding attractive males" in this context is like saying "plenty of racist remarks are made about white people." Can you spot the analogy?

No, because "X looks good" is not a sexist statement. Hence why "context matters" was said in response to the op pointing out that the statement wasn't sexist essentially conceding that on it's own "x looks good" is not sexist. Thus the burden moves onto Mr.Dollar Bills to prove that the context of posting aesthetic compliments on a thread about a person's qualifications only applies to women. That it is used more with woman than men(though given there was only one post made here, this isn't a great example of this) doesn't make a single poster here sexist as he does not represent a large sample of people.


Your analogy is terrible.
User avatar
ForeverTFC
Head Coach
Posts: 7,441
And1: 6,702
Joined: Dec 07, 2004
         

Re: The unusual path of new Raptors assistant coach Brittni Donaldson 

Post#95 » by ForeverTFC » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:09 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
Trippinskarlo wrote:Are we supposed to believe this 26 year old girl is the most qualified person for the job or pretend she is?


I highly doubt you would ask this if she was a 26 year old "boy".

The GM and coach of the world champions promoted her. I'm sure they know more about her qualifications than some message board rando.


The Maple Leafs (same organization as the Raptors) hired Kyle Dubas to be assistant GM at 29 and promoted him to GM at 32.

You need to define 'qualified'. If they were looking for someone who coaches through analytics, then yes, its much more likely that a 26 year old who has spent the majority of her professional life working with analytics in the NBA after playing college ball to be more qualified than a 40 year vet.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
Posts: 19,383
And1: 7,075
Joined: Oct 25, 2006

Re: The unusual path of new Raptors assistant coach Brittni Donaldson 

Post#96 » by Fencer reregistered » Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:45 pm

Jadoogar wrote:
Pharenheit wrote:
fianchetto wrote:
This is why it's so hard for women to get ahead. No respect for her accomplishments, just care about her appearance


So now complimenting a woman's appearance counts as being sexist?


It's just a dumb unnecessary comment. No one comments on Daryl Morey or Frank Vogel's looks.


I didn't mind that aspect, although you're probably right it's better to skip it. I did mind the second sentence. It's not necessarily wrong either, but it does predict some level of unprofessionalism.

That said -- Barack Obama hit on his professional mentor, and now she's the most admired woman in the world. :)
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
Posts: 19,383
And1: 7,075
Joined: Oct 25, 2006

Re: The unusual path of new Raptors assistant coach Brittni Donaldson 

Post#97 » by Fencer reregistered » Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:55 pm

bran muffin wrote:
Duffman100 wrote:Why would a G-League team really be any different? Same type of people? I'd say put her with experienced season coaches who can help with the transition.

My thinking is that the G-League is filled exclusively with fringe players on day-to-day contracts, desperately trying to make it into the NBA. They will be at their best behavior. In the NBA, stars have huge egos and almost everyone has their own fully guaranteed contracts.

Regardless of gender, I just feel like people with zero coaching experience at any level should probably get their feet wet at the G-League first. Then later transition to the NBA. An exception can be made for former NBA players going into coaching, since they've already spent an entire career in the NBA.


She's dead meat unless she has one particular interpersonal skill ... but it's a skill I'd expect an analytics whiz to have. That's the skill to say "I don't know" in a way that boosts rather than reduces confidence in the rest of what you say. More generally, "confident humility" is a valuable trait, and I'd guess a large minority of noteworthy coaches have it, e.g.:

Red Auerbach -- Yes
Pat Riley -- No
Brad Stevens -- Yes
Phil Jackson -- No
Eric Spoelstra -- Yes
Jeff van Gundy -- Yes
Stan van Gundy -- No
User avatar
Clay Davis
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,792
And1: 1,922
Joined: Nov 06, 2013
 

Re: The unusual path of new Raptors assistant coach Brittni Donaldson 

Post#98 » by Clay Davis » Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:14 pm

bran muffin wrote:
Duffman100 wrote:Let's actually talk about the fact that 26 year old has made her way behind the bench.

A pretty, 26-yr old young woman as a coach is a recipe for potential PR disaster. In an ideal world, every NBA player is a fine upstanding gentleman who doesn't have hangups with female authority figures. But unfortunately, not all players in the NBA are going to see past her gender, youth and looks.

This movement to integrate women into coaching staff is great PR when everything is going well. But if things go sour, it's going to explode big time and become a huge PR disaster. Especially when people start hurling sexual harassment and misoginy accusations around. There's a reason why most female coaches brought into the NBA tend to be older, experienced, or at least very accomplished. Teams are bringing in the kind of women who wouldn't be disrespected by the male players.

But a young, pretty and inexperienced coach like Brittni Donaldson is too risky, IMHO. She's the type who will be easily disrespected. Especially since she has never coached at any level before. At least have her coach a G-League team for a year or two before putting her on the bench of an NBA team. I'm pretty sure most female coaches in the NBA had experience coaching in college, in WNBA or at least in the G-League.
Hasn't been a problem in San Antonio. Maybe it'd be a problem for teams that bring in headcases and don't monitor the teams culture.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using RealGM mobile app
We talkin' 'bout money laundering? In WEST BALTIMORE?!

Return to The General Board