Steve Ballmer to invest 100 million dollars into Inglewood as part of arena deal (affordable housing etc)

fianchetto
Starter
And1: 2,997

Re: Steve Ballmer to invest 100 million dollars into Inglewood as part of arena deal (affordable housing etc) 

Post#101 » by fianchetto » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:56 pm

DimesandKnicks wrote:
Forte IV wrote:Love people ignoring what I posted while continuing to assume things without actually asking the people of Inglewood their thoughts.

The overall problem with low income housing increasing is not the fact housing prices go up. It's that salaries don't.

Which would like...make low income housing increasing like...a bad thing.

For who? Need Context. It’s subjective.

Complex systems can’t be summed up by “it’s good” or “it’s bad”
“If I told you that a flower bloomed in a dark room, would you trust it?”
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,197

Re: Steve Ballmer to invest 100 million dollars into Inglewood as part of arena deal (affordable housing etc) 

Post#102 » by clyde21 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:16 pm

fianchetto wrote:
DimesandKnicks wrote:
Forte IV wrote:Love people ignoring what I posted while continuing to assume things without actually asking the people of Inglewood their thoughts.

The overall problem with low income housing increasing is not the fact housing prices go up. It's that salaries don't.

this isn't complex at all. 'it's good' for rich white people and it's bad for the poor (black or white) that already live in those neighborhoods. new housing developments do nothing to strengthen those families except make it even harder for them to live there.

like, this isn't a theory. we already know the consequences of gentrification. this stuff is well documented.
fianchetto
Starter

Post#103 » by fianchetto » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:23 pm

clyde21 wrote:
fianchetto wrote:
DimesandKnicks wrote:

this isn't complex at all. 'it's good' for rich white people and it's bad for the poor (black or white) that already live in those neighborhoods. new housing developments do nothing to strengthen those families except make it even harder for them to live there.

like, this isn't a theory. we already know the consequences of gentrification. this stuff is well documented.

whatever man I'm done with you. It's pointless. bigotry goes both ways.
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM
And1: 29,583

Post#104 » by OkcSinceSGA » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:03 pm

clyde21 wrote:
fianchetto wrote:
DimesandKnicks wrote:

This "white" vs black thing with wealthy is total nonsense. It's have vs have not. Blacks with money/power do the same things, as do Asians etc.

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using RealGM mobile app
“This kid reminds me of a 6-6 Chris Paul. He wants to win everything.”

Olin Simplis- SGA’s trainer.
karkinos
Head Coach
And1: 2,058

Post#105 » by karkinos » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:24 pm

HotelVitale wrote: Not saying it doesn't come from a genuine place but it's not directly about trying to lift people out of poverty

no amount of philanthropy can "lift" a community out of poverty. at some point they'll have to earn it. money isn't a cure for stupidity.
LKN
General Manager
And1: 15,580

Post#106 » by LKN » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:29 pm

karkinos wrote:
HotelVitale wrote: Not saying it doesn't come from a genuine place but it's not directly about trying to lift people out of poverty

no amount of philanthropy can "lift" a community out of poverty. at some point they'll have to earn it. money isn't a cure for stupidity.

Poor people aren't poor because they are stupid. Poor people are usually poor because their parents were poor (and vice versa).
karkinos
Head Coach

Post#107 » by karkinos » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:36 pm

LKN wrote:
karkinos wrote:

Poor people aren't poor because they are stupid. Poor people are usually poor because their parents were poor (and vice versa).

the cycle of poverty is likely to be passed down from generation to generation if parents don't learn from their mistakes. culture, economics, and skilled labor demands often change within a generation so it is not surprising that only select few in poverty are able to escape through traditional routes of education.
LKN
General Manager

Post#108 » by LKN » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:40 pm

karkinos wrote:
LKN wrote:
karkinos wrote:

the cycle of poverty is likely to be passed down from generation to generation if parents don't learn from their mistakes. culture, economics, and skilled labor demands often change within a generation so it is not surprising that only select few in poverty are able to escape through traditional routes of education.

The cycle of poverty is hard to escape from because contrary to what people tell you the US actually has pretty terrible economic mobility as far as first world countries go.
karkinos
Head Coach

Post#109 » by karkinos » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:58 pm

LKN wrote:
karkinos wrote:
LKN wrote:

The cycle of poverty is hard to escape from because contrary to what people tell you the US actually has pretty terrible economic mobility as far as first world countries go.

it's hard to escape from but let's not just let personal responsibility slide.

kids now have the internet, a library at their fingertips, and free education on youtube or khan academy or whatever. US still struggles with fundamentals such as reading and still score poorly in sciences. asian countries have more productive immigrants and even middle class workers. automation is replacing already terrible minimum wage jobs. people need to step the eff up in their parenting game or else it's going to be catastrophic for the future.
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,224

Post#110 » by Clemenza » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:02 am

There are some sketchy parts of Inglewood but its not some hellhole. There's some beautiful homes and neighborhoods here as well. Its very a very middle class and working area. And alot of people that own homes won't sell despite their property doubling in value. You can't profit if you don't sell. Also will where you move to? What do you buy next to live in? Do you leave your place of employment, family support system, way of life, etc. The renters will probably feel the pinch and that's already starting to happen. Plus the main thing in all of this was the Rams/Chargers stadium which started two years ago and will be completed in 2020. Everything that's happened in the area started from this. The Clippers arena is the side chick while the Rams Stadium is the wife/main b*tch. Its comical how Kronke and the Rams escaped most of the critical eye and demands from the public.
Plutonashfan
Analyst
And1: 3,128

Post#111 » by Plutonashfan » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:16 am

clyde21 wrote:
fianchetto wrote:
Antinomy wrote:
Apparently some people here have never heard of gentrification....

The same thing is going on here in Milwaukee. Tons of expensive lofts, apartments & “renovations” are being made near the new arena. It’s only matter of time before those people near the arena get priced out.

If you don't like gentrification, move to Russia.

...and ur accusing other people of 'juvenile posts'? :lol:

Dude is from Canada.
The Champ is HERE!!!
fianchetto
Starter

Post#112 » by fianchetto » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:20 am

Plutonashfan wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
fianchetto wrote:
If you don't like gentrification, move to Russia.

...and ur accusing other people of 'juvenile posts'? :lol:

Dude is from Canada.

Murica
clyde21
RealGM

Post#113 » by clyde21 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:00 am

karkinos wrote:

what a trash post.

poor people are usually poor because their parents were poor and thus live in neighborhoods and cities with less resources than people in wealthier parts of the state or country.

unfortunately, not everyone can be a product of trust funds and nepotism.
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM

Post#114 » by OkcSinceSGA » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:29 am

clyde21 wrote:
karkinos wrote:

what a trash post.

poor people are usually poor because their parents were poor and thus live in neighborhoods and cities with less resources than people in wealthier parts of the state or country.

It's actually both. There have been studies. Most lottery winners come from poverty. Almost all end up poor again. There is clearly more here than circumstances.

clyde21
RealGM

Post#115 » by clyde21 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:49 am

ClipsFanSince98 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
karkinos wrote:

what a trash post.

It's actually both. There have been studies. Most lottery winners come from poverty. Almost all end up poor again. There is clearly more here than circumstances.

that has nothing to do with stupidity or being poor and everything to do with the fact that these people are not used to having insane amounts of money thrown at them out of the blow.

rich people are kind of used to being rich, you know? :roll:
LKN
General Manager

Post#116 » by LKN » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:55 am

clyde21 wrote:
ClipsFanSince98 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
what a trash post.

that has nothing to do with stupidity or being poor and everything to do with the fact that these people are not used to having insane amounts of money thrown at them out of the blow.

It also has to do with it being a ridiculously small sample size that is completely irrelevant to public policy.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#117 » by clyde21 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:03 am

LKN wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
ClipsFanSince98 wrote:It's actually both. There have been studies. Most lottery winners come from poverty. Almost all end up poor again. There is clearly more here than circumstances.

It also has to do with it being a ridiculously small sample size that is completely irrelevant to public policy.

well yea, was giving him the benefit of the doubt on that one, but I probably shouldn't have.
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM

Post#118 » by OkcSinceSGA » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:17 am

clyde21 wrote:
LKN wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

well yea, was giving him the benefit of the doubt on that one, but I probably shouldn't have.
Enough sample size to know that poor people are in part poor due to their own habits, lifestyle choices and decisions. These same types of studies show that people who WERE wealthy and became poor or lost it all are FAR more likely to become wealthy again than those who never were. The reasons for this are obvious. They know how to manage money, how to grind to make money etc.

It was just an example. Sure you are born into poverty and statistically have a cap on wealth. I'll never be a billionaire right? But I've gone from homeless and poor life to making 85k+ a year pace (last two months pacing more like 130k). I'll never be rich I'm sure but I can provide for my family. It's an uphill road but there is also a series of built in excuses from people for why they failed to improve their situation. Whether that be skin color or poverty.

clyde21
RealGM

Post#119 » by clyde21 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:20 am

ClipsFanSince98 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
LKN wrote:

Enough sample size to know that poor people are in part poor due to their own habits, lifestyle choices and decisions. These same types of studies show that people who WERE wealthy and became poor or lost it all are FAR more likely to become wealthy again than those who never were. The reasons for this are obvious. They know how to manage money, how to grind to make money etc.

It was just an example. Sure you are born into poverty and statistically have a cap on wealth. I'll never be a billionaire right? But I've gone from homeless and poor life to making 85k+ a year. It's an uphill road but there is also a series of built in excuses from people for why they failed to improve their situation. Whether that be skin color or poverty.

wtf are you even talking about? are you sure you're in the right thread? what does any of this have to do with gentrification of black and poor communities?

looks like you were just waiting to throw that trash out here and used any opportunity to do so.
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM

Post#120 » by OkcSinceSGA » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:23 am

clyde21 wrote:
ClipsFanSince98 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

It was just an example. Sure you are born into poverty and statistically have a cap on wealth. I'll never be a billionaire right? But I've gone from homeless and poor life to making 85k+ a year. It's an uphill road but there is also a series of built in excuses from people for why they failed to improve their situation. Whether that be skin color or poverty.

wtf are you even talking about? are you sure you're in the right thread? what does any of this have to do with gentrification of black and poor communities?

looks like you were just waiting to throw that trash out here and used any opportunity to do so.
No. This is in direct reference. Quite frankly stupidity and bad habits ARE a factor here, you said they weren't. My post was addressing that.

Return to The General Board