Steve Ballmer to invest 100 million dollars into Inglewood as part of arena deal (affordable housing etc)

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,273

Re: Steve Ballmer to invest 100 million dollars into Inglewood as part of arena deal (affordable housing etc) 

Post#41 » by nickhx2 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:13 am

i mean literally a 12 page thread here viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1531405

but sure go ahead keep on with whatever you're on, dog
Not Suave Rico
Junior
And1: 529

Re: Steve Ballmer to invest 100 million dollars into Inglewood as part of arena deal (affordable housing etc) 

Post#42 » by Not Suave Rico » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:51 am

Antinomy wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
fianchetto wrote:
I don't get your comment... are all black people poor? And what are you trying to say about Ballmer? honestly just don't get it

because when a filthy rich **** comes in and 'invests' in new housing in poor black communities, one of two things happen:

- either he's Donald Sterling and dude just turns into a slumlord

- or he's Steve Ballmer, who'll eventually price out the people that were and have been renting there

Apparently some people here have never heard of gentrification....

The same thing is going on here in Milwaukee. Tons of expensive lofts, apartments & “renovations” are being made near the new arena. It’s only matter of time before those people near the arena get priced out.

Gentrification is already happening in Inglewood thanks to the Rams and their stadium/shopping/housing project.
itrsteve
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,243

Post#43 » by itrsteve » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:37 am

levon wrote:I'm not faulting him, I'm just very skeptical of any and all construction even if it's packaged as helping housing/the community. I've witnessed the effects of "affordable housing" firsthand in the bay area, where it's regularly packaged in to the local legislature as bills supposedly aiding the housing crisis, when in reality it's just generating hundreds of millions of dollars for tycoons and skyrocketing rent. The fact that it's tied to the construction of a giant entertainment complex certainly doesn't help my skepticism.

Those generations will be "getting off on the right foot" at the expense of the displaced folk indigenous to that community, who will then dip into the poverty line because they can't keep up with rent.

Fair enough, can't argue with being skeptical. I would like to believe his intentions are sound and would hope the execution of this plan would have provisions in place to keep a majority of the indigenous people there, but it's easier said than done I suppose.

SF is too far gone, with the median home price at $1.7m there's not much you can do. Space is limited and too many people with the financial means want to be there.

Hopefully his team is working closely with community leaders to figure out how to best distribute this investment while still building up the community, and not just housing.
Ryoga Hibiki
RealGM
And1: 6,576

Post#44 » by Ryoga Hibiki » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:20 am

itrsteve wrote:
levon wrote:I'm not faulting him, I'm just very skeptical of any and all construction even if it's packaged as helping housing/the community. I've witnessed the effects of "affordable housing" firsthand in the bay area, where it's regularly packaged in to the local legislature as bills supposedly aiding the housing crisis, when in reality it's just generating hundreds of millions of dollars for tycoons and skyrocketing rent. The fact that it's tied to the construction of a giant entertainment complex certainly doesn't help my skepticism.

Those generations will be "getting off on the right foot" at the expense of the displaced folk indigenous to that community, who will then dip into the poverty line because they can't keep up with rent.

Fair enough, can't argue with being skeptical. I would like to believe his intentions are sound and would hope the execution of this plan would have provisions in place to keep a majority of the indigenous people there, but it's easier said than done I suppose.

SF is too far gone, with the median home price at $1.7m there's not much you can do. Space is limited and too many people with the financial means want to be there.

Hopefully his team is working closely with community leaders to figure out how to best distribute this investment while still building up the community, and not just housing.

In such case the focus should be on how to improve the connections between the suburbs and the center. I don't know the geography of the area, but normally you get this with big investments in public transport.
Слава Украине!
karkinos
Head Coach
And1: 2,058

Post#45 » by karkinos » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:22 am

for those not from LA, property around the great western forum is already being bought up
karkinos
Head Coach
And1: 2,058

Post#46 » by karkinos » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:28 am

clyde21 wrote:
fianchetto wrote:
SalmonsSuperfan wrote:it's funny dude, black people are already being priced out of inglewood. why do you think the likes of ballmer are so keen on 'investing' there?

I don't get your comment... are all black people poor? And what are you trying to say about Ballmer? honestly just don't get it

because when a filthy rich **** comes in and 'invests' in new housing in poor black communities, one of two things happen:

- or he's Steve Ballmer, who'll eventually price out the people that were and have been renting there

well technically how would you propose investing into properties and upgrade them but then charge people the same rent? sounds like a bad business plan.
Ryoga Hibiki
RealGM
And1: 6,576

Post#47 » by Ryoga Hibiki » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:51 am

karkinos wrote:well technically how would you propose investing into properties and upgrade them but then charge people the same rent? sounds like a bad business plan.

poor people live in cheap places.
cheap places tend to be filthy houses in bad neighborhoods.
you can't improve those places and keep the same prices, because then they will attract wealthier people willing to spend more.

My view is the following: we should have better and better places in the world.
Everytime a neighborhood is improved it is a victory, as you're not going to bomb another in the meantime.
Wealthy people might move there and leave their old places behind, that could be available for people who couldn't afford them.
Слава Украине!
Forte IV
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,497

Post#48 » by Forte IV » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:12 pm

A lot of scummy opinions in here tbh. The man is donating 100 million to the area, renevoated well over 300 basketball courts, yet people want to criticize him for it. How about you make yourself a billion dollars before complaining about a guy doing a good thing.
If the Clippers win the championship next year I'm getting banned from RealGM
j-ragg
RealGM
And1: 11,652

Post#49 » by j-ragg » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:19 pm

I know he’s rich so we are supposed to hate him in this current climate, but good on Ballmer.
BadMofoPimp wrote:Durant thinks Vooch is one of the Best Centers in the NBA. I will take his word over a couch-GM yelling at a TV.
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,089

Post#50 » by The-Power » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:49 pm

Ryoga Hibiki wrote:My view is the following: we should have better and better places in the world.
Everytime a neighborhood is improved it is a victory, as you're not going to bomb another in the meantime.
Wealthy people might move there and leave their old places behind, that could be available for people who couldn't afford them.

There should be better places without having to force local populations out once modernization- and gentrification-projects are completed.

You do realize that a lot of people are not overly flexible (e.g. work), deeply rooted in their community and/or simply like living in their neighborhood (friends, schools, hobbies etc.) so that they cannot and do not want to just move away to newly abandoned houses that will only deteriorate again over time because nobody cares about their housing situation and they still can't afford something better?

You make it seem as if being priced out of your apartment and forced to move away isn't a potentially life-changing rupture in people's lives and as if this helps all people to live in better places in the long-run. This couldn't be further from the truth.

edit: And it's not like two proximate neighborhoods just switch places. If people move into these gentrified areas from further away, then what do you propose? That the priced-out individuals and families just move far away from their jobs, schools, friends etc. to places they have no connection to, potentially with less opportunities for them to work? That is the victory? Alternatively, they can battle with other priced-out residents for the available living space in more proximate neighborhoods – with increased price pressure, of course.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,196

Post#51 » by clyde21 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:22 pm

karkinos wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
fianchetto wrote:

well technically how would you propose investing into properties and upgrade them but then charge people the same rent? sounds like a bad business plan.

well that's my point...hes investing in Real Estate because that's the most profitable, not because he wants to help the communities of Inglewood. this will NOT help them...unilateral evidence is there, we already know what happens when rich people go into poor communities and start building new houses...this isn't anything new.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#52 » by clyde21 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:27 pm

j-ragg wrote:I know he’s rich so we are supposed to hate him in this current climate, but good on Ballmer.

yea, good on Ballmer for contributing to the gentrification of Inglewood so he can make even more money

what an unbelievable guy
fianchetto
Starter
And1: 2,997

Post#53 » by fianchetto » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:44 pm

clyde21 wrote:
j-ragg wrote:I know he’s rich so we are supposed to hate him in this current climate, but good on Ballmer.

yea, good on Ballmer for contributing to the gentrification of Inglewood so he can make even more money

what an unbelievable guy

“If I told you that a flower bloomed in a dark room, would you trust it?”
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,741

Post#54 » by Johnny Bball » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:48 pm

nickhx2 wrote:i mean literally a 12 page thread here viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1531405

but sure go ahead keep on with whatever you're on, dog

Yeah because that's twelve pages about THIS specific investment and this update which is a new thread. But whatever, you just keep having bad reading comprehension skills. Or just keep up with the slants. Whichever it is. :roll:
DimesandKnicks
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,626

Post#55 » by DimesandKnicks » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:55 pm

clyde21 wrote:
fianchetto wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

lazy cynicism. Well done.

not a new concept, it's called gentrification

if he really wants to invest in Inglewood...invest in SCHOOLS and INFRASTRUCTURE. we all know where the Real Estate game always goes.

Don't forget childcare
Rockice_24
Starter
And1: 816

Post#56 » by Rockice_24 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:01 pm

Philanthropy, the biggest hoax we have going in America. It's nothing but tax breaks and political power plays. Look like a hero and help yourself at the same time. Doubtful this helps anyone but Ballmer himself.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#57 » by clyde21 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:06 pm

fianchetto wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

what an unbelievable guy

what do you disagree with here? or you just want to continue to offer nothing and be useless per usual?
fianchetto
Starter

Post#58 » by fianchetto » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:33 pm

clyde21 wrote:
fianchetto wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

what an unbelievable guy

what do you disagree with here? or you just want to continue to offer nothing and be useless per usual?

Spoiler:
clyde21
RealGM

Post#59 » by clyde21 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:00 pm

Rockice_24 wrote:Philanthropy, the biggest hoax we have going in America. It's nothing but tax breaks and political power plays. Look like a hero and help yourself at the same time. Doubtful this helps anyone but Ballmer himself.

nothing is more comical than those billionaires who call themselves 'philanthropists' while they hoard the vast majority of the wealth, move jobs abroad, kill the middle class and undermine our 'meritocracy' with their nepotism.

but hey, he bought apartment buildings in inglewood that the people of inglewood won't be able to afford! what a guy.
fianchetto
Starter

Post#60 » by fianchetto » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:02 pm

clyde21 wrote:
Rockice_24 wrote:Philanthropy, the biggest hoax we have going in America. It's nothing but tax breaks and political power plays. Look like a hero and help yourself at the same time. Doubtful this helps anyone but Ballmer himself.

nothing is more comical than those billionaires who call themselves 'philanthropists' while they hoard the vast majority of the wealth, move jobs abroad, kill the middle class and undermine our 'meritocracy' with their nepotism.

but hey, he bought apartment buildings in inglewood that the people of inglewood won't be able to afford! what a guy.

you guys should hang out with Kyrie. Woke I tells ya. Philanthropy is a sham!

Return to The General Board