Who is to be blamed for USA failure in FIBA world cup?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Who is to be blamed for USA failure in FIBA world cup?

Coaching stuff being outcoached
11%
Players playing ISO ball
15%
Superstars refusing to represent their own country
40%
No one. They're just not good enough
16%
No one cares about FIBA world cup
18%

Total votes: 597

Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,822

Re: This is Kyrie's fault Team USA lost to France 

Post#301 » by Diop » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:18 am

trending wrote:
Spens1 wrote:
reload141 wrote:It’s raining in Melbourne, Australia atm.

It’s Kyries fault.

What a fault he is. The faultiest fault alive.

If Patty Mills is any indication. Kyrie made the mistake of his life not playing for the boomers, could you imagine him playing in this australian system, he'd be an absolute god averaging about 35-40 per game.

he moved to the USA when he was 2. steve nash is more south african than he is australian.

and yet he seriously considered it before getting a call from Coach K
Ill News
General Manager
And1: 16,306

Re: Who is to be blamed for USA failure in FIBA world cup? 

Post#302 » by Ill News » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:44 am

It's a combination of these things:

1) Lack of size. Having Myles Turner backed up by Brook Lopez and Mason Plumlee(!) was just embarrassing.

2) Lack of scoring outside of Kemba, Mitchell, and Tatum. Middleton and Barnes just couldn't be relied upon consistently. Brown had his moments, but he was mainly utilized for his defense on most games. Tatum getting hurt just made this problem worse.

3) Pop was outcoached in the France game. Mike Prada wrote an SBNation article on how the French coach adjusted to the US's small ball lineup, and how Pop failed to adjust in the end. Part of it was the lack of personnel, but it's still on him.
marcush
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,151

Post#303 » by marcush » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:51 am

I blame Jerry Colangelo
marcush
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,151

Post#304 » by marcush » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:56 am

US had the most talent but that disparity was not enough to make up for the advantage the other teams had with continuity and experience in FIBA play.

Usually the talent / athleticism gap is that significant it doesn’t matter that they haven’t played with each other under these rules before.

It’s not the coach when the US win or lose.
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,519

Post#305 » by LofJ » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:05 pm

jbk1234 wrote:I honestly think the NBA has a problem with home-grown next generation talent. The number of top 5 picks who haven't panned out has been too high since AD was drafted.

Guys like Porzingis, Donic, Joker, Gorbert, and Giannis came from outside the college system and the country. Even Embiid, who played a year of college ball, came from outside the U.S. Those are the biggest young names in the game.

Mitchell and Tatum are nice young players but that's not enough.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app

The young international talent is fantastic right now. But the US hardly brought its best young guys to play. Russell, Fox, JJJ, Bagley, Young, Robinson, Zion, etc. all dropped out or weren't invited.
Mazter
Sixth Man
And1: 768

Post#306 » by Mazter » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:42 pm

Hmmm, all of a sudden we are talking about like there are only 25 guys in the NBA who can play basketball and represent the US...

Come on guys, it's the NBA, where all the millions are being paid and where all ambitious basketball players in the world want to end up. All the best players are playing there, right? If you didn't or don't make it you don't count.

It's not like other World Cup teams were star studded. The only team with more than 6 NBA players were the US, they had 12. The only team with no undrafted players were the US. They were the only team with more than 2 lottery picks in their line up, they had 8. The only team with more than 3 players averaging 30 minutes last season were the US, they had 6. They were the only team with 2 20+ scorers last season. They were the only team with more than 2 players scoring double figures in the NBA last season, they had 9.

So apparently the US were the most stacked team representing the most stacked country. And unless over 150 players withdrew, there is really no excuse for US not to be the mayor contender for the title, right? An incidental loss may occur, if unlucky in the quarter final. But one overtime win and now losing 2 in a row is a bigger problem...
Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Post#307 » by Ballerhogger » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:48 pm

I went with nobody cares . We sent in C team and lost . It’s only notable since we didn’t place 3rd ... but meh
Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Post#308 » by Ballerhogger » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:49 pm

If we actually put out a decent team kemba walker is 3rd string at best
burek3
Pro Prospect
And1: 538

Post#309 » by burek3 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:07 pm

I like how the results of the poll are flipping people off :)
"Holy f**k" :o
- DeAndre Jordan
levon
RealGM
And1: 23,176

Post#310 » by levon » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:15 pm

burek3 wrote:I like how the results of the poll are flipping people off :)

Sorry I had to, I read your comment in his voice.
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM
And1: 41,249

Post#311 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:24 pm

jbk1234 wrote:I honestly think the NBA has a problem with home-grown next generation talent. The number of top 5 picks who haven't panned out has been too high since AD was drafted.

Guys like Porzingis, Donic, Joker, Gorbert, and Giannis came from outside the college system and the country. Even Embiid, who played a year of college ball, came from outside the U.S. Those are the biggest young names in the game.

Mitchell and Tatum are nice young players but that's not enough.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app

100% agree, there hasn't been a generational talent come out of the US for years now, I know people want to crown Zion that but I don't see it there either.

I think the next generational player will be Emoni Bates, but he's still years away and wont be ready to compete with Team USA until 2024. Also, the elephant in the room is that the rest of the world has a huge edge on the US as far as big men are concerned, maybe Jaren Jackson Jr and Marvin Bagley will help with that, but as of now most of the top bigs in the NBA are foreign players.
GotDaSauce
RealGM
And1: 9,681

Post#312 » by GotDaSauce » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:26 pm

CelticsFTW wrote:1/3 of this team plays for the Celtics lol.

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using RealGM mobile app

Should have had Brad coaching the team tbh. As much hate as Tatum gets from non Celtica fans he was missed big time the last two games.
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM
And1: 41,249

Post#313 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:32 pm

GotDaSauce wrote:

Should have had Brad coaching the team tbh. As much hate as Tatum gets from non Celtica fans he was missed big time the last two games.

Eh, think Nurse or Bud should be coaching, Stevens offense is pretty crude and I don't think it would have looked much different.
GotDaSauce
RealGM
And1: 9,681

Post#314 » by GotDaSauce » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:58 pm

NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
GotDaSauce wrote:

Eh, think Nurse or Bud should be coaching, Stevens offense is pretty crude and I don't think it would have looked much different.

Although I agree with you about his offensive scheme. Brad is top tier in getting a team to overachieve and this group definitely needed that. If the A team comes back next year it wont be needed of course.
JimmerAllStar
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,743

Post#315 » by JimmerAllStar » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:06 pm

I don't think people realize that TeamUSA still had the best talent in the tournament. They had 2 NBA All-Stars. Name another team in the tournament that had 2. And for people crying that Gobert dominated us? Well, Myles Turner is no slouch.
SweetTouch
RealGM
And1: 2,961

Post#316 » by SweetTouch » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:11 pm

Other teams have heart

USA lacked heart
Stop being so disrespectful.
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,066

Post#317 » by Lalouie » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:27 pm

answer #3 is because of answer #5 - they don't want to play in fiba.

you'll see next year, the olympic year
kobe808lak
Sixth Man
And1: 601

Post#318 » by kobe808lak » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:34 pm

Kemba and Donovan took turns having terrible games.. no one else capable of really stepping up. Barnes had a nice game vs Serbia but wasn't enough.

Big men were trash..
radeonboy
Analyst
And1: 3,704

Post#319 » by radeonboy » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:36 pm

Make America Great Again (green font)
so_bored
Pro Prospect
And1: 2,053

Post#320 » by so_bored » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:24 pm

It's the NBA's fault.

They implemented bunch of new rules to promote the offense while handcuffing the defense and in the process lost the true identity of basketball which is the half-court offense, and working their way to get a shot close to the hoop such as post up play and mid-range shot. The new rules have basically phased out back to the basket players and traditional bigs, and now practically all teams are going small for entirety of the game.

Also, let’s not forget about the analytics and players becoming very conscious of their own stats. They are blatantly avoiding the mid-range jumpshots and opting for three’s instead because it makes their efficiency and advance numbers look better. They either look to draw a foul or shoot the three, while foregoing the post ups, mid-range jumpshots, backdoor cuts, etc.
These style of games work in today’s NBA because the rules are so deliberately in favor of offensive players. Players today basically have free lanes to the basket, with no rim protection at all. You can iso a player top of the key, and they have all kinds of freedom to do whatever they want. If they get a tough defender on you, simply call a screen to get that defender off of you, and now you have a total mismatch.

Now when they get to the international play, they lose all the offensive advantages they had in the NBA. Slower pace, smaller court, crowded lanes, legitimate seven footers guarding the rim, no ticky tack fouls, etc. It’s a real grind, and our players today aren’t simply groomed for the international play, especially against the competition whose been playing with the international rules throughout. Doesn’t matter if even if you replace Turner with AD. Our bigs today refuses to play down low and bang their bodies. And this is all a byproduct of the NBA selling themselves out for more money. USA basketball absolutely deserved the losses.

Return to The General Board