Adopt the FIBA rules (Poll Added)

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Should the NBA adopt FIBA's rules to improve D and showcase athletic shotblockers and shooting bigs?

Yes
68%
No
32%

Total votes: 113

valrond1
Senior
And1: 513

Re: Adopt the FIBA rules (Poll Added) 

Post#101 » by valrond1 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:06 pm

Taking into account that FIBA rules have already changed a lot through the years incorporating many NBA rules, it would be nice the NBA takes some cues from FIBA.
The Real Dalic
RealGM
And1: 7,031

Re: Adopt the FIBA rules 

Post#102 » by The Real Dalic » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:46 am

Mirotic12 wrote:
The Real Dalic wrote:No it isn't. The rules haven't changed all that much from 10 years ago. Hell, you could say even 20 to 30 years ago.

The only two differences from years ago is the emergence of players like Curry and other elite shooters and the emphasis on the importance of 3pt shots and the refs calling games softer now. Outside of handchecking and a couple of other rules, not much else has changed.

Well, I guess you could count the flopping as well that the Euro's brought from overseas.

In case you are not aware, flopping is banned in EuroLeague and FIBA competitions. It's banned. It's only generally allowed in the NBA actually. Add that to the list of rules the NBA needs to adopt from FIBA. The NBA needs to ban flopping, just like it's banned in FIBA.

However, as long as the NBA allows flopping, then certain "stars" can use it to their unfair advantage, again something the NBA does to help certain players.

Yes, they should ban it. But it's players that came from the greatest league in the world in Europe that brought that over. So, thanks for that!
God. Family. Country. Basketball.
The Real Dalic
RealGM

Post#103 » by The Real Dalic » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:55 am

CoachD wrote:
The Real Dalic wrote:
CoachD wrote:
Your facts are so wrong, I don't even know where to start

Go ahead and start then. Educate me. Don't just say some vague stuff and move on.

Players are getting better, they're jacking up more 3's and running more, and there are advanced stats now that shows the best and most effecient ways to score.

But sure, lets let people swat the ball off the rim because someone didn't swish the shot. So exciting.

There are more 3s because

A) up until the early 2000s, most coaches still say the 3 as a gimmick
B) you cannot touch anyone on the perimeter and they are free to launch whatever they want

If players were still handchecking and playing physical perimeter D, the amount of 3FGA would be WAY down.

That's why I got that condescending post? For those reasons which I already listed?

I already said handchecking was the biggest rule change. On the point of coaches, I addressed that with the advanced stats. But my point still stands that rules haven't changed much.

The players just got better at the 3pt line, they practice it a hell of a lot more now than ever before. Coaches and GM's got smarter through the use of analytics and seeing what is most efficient. You see teams like the Rockets, Raptors, and Warriors scoring a ton because they have/had great players and they run efficient offenses. The game is also played at a faster pace not than the past 20 years or so. So more possessions = more shot attempts and makes.

The refs are the only problems because they all have agendas and give the stars the treatment. The refs are what we need to change, not the rules. If they would just call it like it says in the rulebook, this game would be even better than it already is compared to FIBA.

Also, defense is very alive and well in the NBA, and it's without that trash goaltending rule. Just watch your Raptors or my Magic and you'd see that you can still find great defensive teams out there. They just need to be willing to play it. Some coaches don't care about that side of the ball as much though so they throw everything at their offense, like D'Antoni.
CoachD
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,820

Post#104 » by CoachD » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:26 am

The Real Dalic wrote:
CoachD wrote:
The Real Dalic wrote:Go ahead and start then. Educate me. Don't just say some vague stuff and move on.

Players are getting better, they're jacking up more 3's and running more, and there are advanced stats now that shows the best and most effecient ways to score.

But sure, lets let people swat the ball off the rim because someone didn't swish the shot. So exciting.

B) you cannot touch anyone on the perimeter and they are free to launch whatever they want

If players were still handchecking and playing physical perimeter D, the amount of 3FGA would be WAY down.

That's why I got that condescending post? For those reasons which I already listed?

I already said handchecking was the biggest rule change. On the point of coaches, I addressed that with the advanced stats. But my point still stands that rules haven't changed much.

The players just got better at the 3pt line, they practice it a hell of a lot more now than ever before. Coaches and GM's got smarter through the use of analytics and seeing what is most efficient. You see teams like the Rockets, Raptors, and Warriors scoring a ton because they have/had great players and they run efficient offenses. The game is also played at a faster pace not than the past 20 years or so. So more possessions = more shot attempts and makes.

The refs are the only problems because they all have agendas and give the stars the treatment. The refs are what we need to change, not the rules. If they would just call it like it says in the rulebook, this game would be even better than it already is compared to FIBA.

Also, defense is very alive and well in the NBA, and it's without that trash goaltending rule. Just watch your Raptors or my Magic and you'd see that you can still find great definsive teams out there. They just need to be willing to play it. Some coaches don't care about that side of the ball as much though so they throw everything at their offense, like D'Antoni.

You recognize no perimeter contact and in the same breath say the rules haven't changed much

Do me a favour. Try shooting a 3

Now shoot one while I push your right hip backwards

Try to catch a pass for a 3 ....

Now try to catch one while I'm holding your left wrist close

Ya. Those are just minor adjustments
The Real Dalic
RealGM

Post#105 » by The Real Dalic » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:52 am

CoachD wrote:
The Real Dalic wrote:
CoachD wrote:

Also, defense is very alive and well in the NBA, and it's without that trash goaltending rule. Just watch your Raptors or my Magic and you'd see that you can still find great definsive teams out there. They just need to be willing to play it. Some coaches don't care about that side of the ball as much though so they throw everything at their offense, like D'Antoni.

You recognize no perimeter contact and in the same breath say the rules haven't changed much

Again, tried to make it seem like I was saying something crazy over just one rule. You said "you're so wrong here that I don't even know where to start" all over just one thing? That's the thing that I can't stand around here, everyone trying to make everyone else seem stupid so they can try to feel smarter.

Anyway, I didn't say that handchecking was a small change. I said that OUTSIDE of handchecking, the game hasn't changed much from the last 10-30 years. Just 15-16 years ago, during Dwight's rookie year, and a couple of years after that, the Magic were consistenly averaging about 94 ppg as a team. Would you say that was impressive offensively? There were teams that were averaging 100ppg, but nothing like we see today. But my point is that there was no hand checking then, but still elite defenses being played and low scoring games.

The Magic also once played a game against the Celtics where neither team even had 90 ppg when Boston had their big 3. The Magic scored just 59 points. That was when defenses were winning you championships more than scoring. Nowadays though, teams just figured out that the 3pt line is actually a very viable option and more efficient most of the time. Especially since players are getting elite at it.

What it comes down to is that stats are more inflated now due to more 3pt shots and layups and less mid-range. you clearly don't like that, and I would agree with you that 90's/2000's basketball is better. But the FIBA rules are not the way to go with it. Those rules make the game way to slow and boring. People are complaining that the NBA is geared way too much toward the offense, FIBA heavily, heavily favors defense. Including a cheesy goaltending rule where your team suffers simply by not swishing their shots.

I would rather they move the 3pt line 5 feet back than watch boring FIBA rules.
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,457

Post#106 » by dhsilv2 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:08 am

asdfgh wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
CoachD wrote:

Thanks for your contribution to the discussion. Care to explain?

FIBA's rules make for a less enjoyable game. The last thing we really need is more post play. And the very idea of even having positions in the allstar game is beyond dated. Bringing back the CENTER to the allstar game? Get out of here!

I grew up watching the NBA in the 90s when post play still existed, and I really miss that type of basketball.

Bad basketball can stay away! You can back and watch games today and you get to scream at 3 point shooter standing INSIDE the line!
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,087

Post#107 » by jbk1234 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:34 am

Just stop rewarding offensive wings who initiate contact with foul calls and actually call fouls when smaller guys mug good post players. Adopting FIBA rules would be an overcorrection, but the way the current NBA is officiated is beyond parody.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
OzThunder
Rookie
And1: 393

Post#108 » by OzThunder » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:47 am

CoachD wrote:
The Real Dalic wrote:
CoachD wrote:

Hyperbole much? Can you show me any proof that shooting with a hand on your hip, or holding a wrist were non calls? Or are you just gonna spew rhetoric?
Plossum
General Manager
And1: 4,848

Post#109 » by Plossum » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:53 am

There are some FIBA rules I like but by and large I prefer the NBA.
#LockUpChuck
Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Post#110 » by Spens1 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:03 am

FIBA rules makes basketball so much easier on the eye compared to the NBA. its not perfect but it is a lot better as a spectator watching it.
freethedevil
Head Coach
And1: 3,230

Post#111 » by freethedevil » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:21 am

Mirotic12 wrote:The NBA should absolutely adopt those rules you mentioned. But the NBA is obviously only concerned with making tall freak athletes look like great basketball players - whether they can even dribble or shoot, or have any scoring moves or not, is irrelevant

Tall players are far more versatile now than they were in whatever era you're feeling nolstagic for.
DavidDunn21
Sixth Man
And1: 1,943

Post#112 » by DavidDunn21 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:50 am

Forte IV wrote:The ball on the rim rule is dumb. Imagine if a 76er was allowed to tip Kawhi's shot off the rim. I hate it. Everything else I agree with.

I can't agree with this enough and I've been railing against Silver's flirting with the idea for years.

If you can interfere with a ball on the rim, you're no longer playing basketball. This is an existential threat to the game.
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,266

Post#113 » by Nuntius » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:25 am

Not all of them but some of them, definitely. Defensive 3 seconds is the biggest pet peeve of mine. There's no reason for this rule to even exist other than as a way to help the offense drive to the rim more. The NBA is the only league in the world that has this rule.
"No wolf shall keep his secrets, no bird shall dance the skyline
And I am left with nothing but an oath that gleams like a sword
To bathe in the blood of man
Mankind..."

She Painted Fire Across the Skyline, Part 3
- Agalloch
AussieCeltic
RealGM
And1: 20,711

Post#114 » by AussieCeltic » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:55 am

By the way, for those whinging about low scores in FIBA, Serbia/Australia/Argentina/France are all putting up over 90ppg in a 40 min contest which equates to about 108-110 in a 48 min game
eyeatoma wrote:IMO the bigger issue is that Denver and the Jazz are allowed to host games at a high altitute, when they have literally had news exposes saying how it's a clear competetive advantage to play there.
Ainosterhaspie
Starter
And1: 2,231

Post#115 » by Ainosterhaspie » Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:27 am

CoachD wrote:Do me a favour. Try shooting a 3

That crap has always been illegal and should always be illegal. That players get away with it here and there doesn't change that it's always been cheating. And when that stuff gets out of hand, the league cracks down. They've done that repeatedly because it's never been something that was intended to be part of the game.
Ainosterhaspie
Starter
And1: 2,231

Post#116 » by Ainosterhaspie » Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:33 am

While we're dumping stuff like defensive 3 seconds can we dump offensive 3 seconds and the rule that limits how long you can back down a player? Or is it only rules that have some negative impact on defenders that people have problems with?

And if we're going to let defenders be physical with offensive players shouldn't we allow offensive players to respond on kind? Or is it ok for a defender to knock a guy around in the post but heaven forbid the post player give him a good hard bump . Mouse in the house goes flying, offensive foul, but if the mouse is clinging on like a baby koala that's fine.

Whenever I see this stuff that seems to be a one way ratchet to limit offense as much as possible, I can't shake the feeling that there's some agenda in the background that's got nothing to do with promoting a good game. My general suspicion is that it's about propping up the legacies of past players, though I'm sure the old man yelling at the clouds syndrome plays into it too.
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,477

Post#117 » by Mirotic12 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:25 am

freethedevil wrote:
Mirotic12 wrote:The NBA should absolutely adopt those rules you mentioned. But the NBA is obviously only concerned with making tall freak athletes look like great basketball players - whether they can even dribble or shoot, or have any scoring moves or not, is irrelevant

Tall players are far more versatile now than they were in whatever era you're feeling nolstagic for.

Giannis was the MVP and he has no post game, no face up game, only one go to move (on which he travels), he needs ref bail out calls, and he can't dribble without the NBA rules - he palms and takes steps almost every time he touches the ball.

He also can't shoot, and basically can't score more than 3-4 feet away from the basket.

Even in old eras, an MVP of the league at least had to have some scoring moves. Hell, even Shaq had some post moves.
DCRYsing89
Starter
And1: 718

Post#118 » by DCRYsing89 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:30 am

Nope, as a player who plays in FIBA rules, I much prefer the NBA rules...

Allows you to express yourself more, and also I personally feel safer on court as I feel dirty plays go unnoticed less.
After your first, you change, you mature, you dont just jump into things.

After getting dunked on for the first time, life becomes complex.
Sedale Threatt
RealGM
And1: 40,946

Post#119 » by Sedale Threatt » Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:31 am

Spens1 wrote:FIBA rules makes basketball so much easier on the eye compared to the NBA. its not perfect but it is a lot better as a spectator watching it.

I find it's the exact opposite. European games remind me of college basketball, which I stopped watching regularly about 15 years ago. Slow-paced, over-coached, zone defenses that clog up the game, etc.

Although I do love the basket interference rule. I would implement that in a heartbeat. Giving freak athletes another opportunity to showcase said freakiness is a no-brainer.
DCRYsing89
Starter
And1: 718

Post#120 » by DCRYsing89 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:40 am

Mirotic12 wrote:
freethedevil wrote:

Giannis was the MVP and he has no post game, no face up game, only one go to move (on which he travels), he needs ref bail out calls, and he can't dribble without the NBA rules - he palms and takes steps almost every time he touches the ball.

He also can't shoot, and basically can't score more than 3-4 feet away from the basket.

Even in old eras, an MVP of the league at least had to have some scoring moves. Hell, even Shaq had some post moves.

Yeah caus Giannis never attempted jumpers... and Giannis never posted up
Yes, he isn’t as stellar in the post as the greats, but neither are most players,
He dominates of physical gifts (with skill and IQ) like Shaq, and got results,
MVP isn’t awarded to the best player, but the most valueble one...

What were Magic’s go to scoring moves?
What about Wilts?
Even explain to me Shaqs?

Even though the top teir guys have always been debatably similar skill levels,
The lower teir guys are much better,
Baynes would absolutely hand any backup big their ass back in the 80s or 90s...

And how many times till y’all get it... IT ISNT A TRAVEL IF IT AINT CALLED
He has a gather step then his two, it’s hard to time, and often little mistakes can make it a travel, but when done right (and guys like Giannis and Harden do it right 90% of the time) it ain’t a travel by any rules...

And then MJ can’t dribble without NBA rules,
He palmed the ball every time to,
Same neither kawhi, and KD, it’s an advantage (big hands and long arms) and they use it, can’t have a go at someone for waving at you to much caus they got 6 fingers...
After your first, you change, you mature, you dont just jump into things.

After getting dunked on for the first time, life becomes complex.

Return to The General Board