Tomas Satoransky States The Truth About The NBA And Its Reffing Agenda

Moderators: zimpy27, bwgood77, BombsquadSammy, Yuri Vaultin, PockyCandy, Prez, ken6199, Dirk, Domejandro

User avatar
Optms
RealGM
Posts: 13,942
And1: 4,939
Joined: Jun 11, 2009
 

Re: Tomas Satoransky States The Truth About The NBA And Its Reffing Agenda 

Post#61 » by Optms » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:30 am

asdfgh wrote:Giannis shouldn't have fouled out. That was a terrible call by the refs.


That was a great call by the refs. A player should not be allowed ram into the defender, who in this case, was back peddling.

After years of being relegated into seeing the Zebra$ protect the offensive player, we need to fully comprehend that it should go both ways. And that the way the league currently officiates its players is flat our wrong and unfair. The FIBA officiating in this case got it right. Years of seeing the offensive player get all of the calls, it looks weird, but I believe the officials from FIBA made the correct call.

This is what it looks like when you aren't watching officials being paid to protect the star and or offensive player.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
Posts: 33,726
And1: 13,228
Joined: Jun 23, 2004
Location: NBA Fan
 

Re: Tomas Satoransky States The Truth About The NBA And Its Reffing Agenda 

Post#62 » by og15 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:33 am

Optms wrote:
asdfgh wrote:Giannis shouldn't have fouled out. That was a terrible call by the refs.


That was a great call by the refs. A player should not be allowed ram into the defender, who in this case, was back peddling.

After years of being relegated into seeing the Zebra$ protect the offensive player, we need to fully comprehend that it should go both ways. And that the way the league currently officiates its players is flat our wrong and unfair. The FIBA officiating in this case got it right. After seeing years of the league cater to the offensive player, it looks weird, but I believe the officials from FIBA made the correct call.

This is what it looks like when you aren't watching officials being paid to protect the star and or offensive player.

I would say catering to the offensive player there is giving an and 1, the fair call there for both sides is a no call.
User avatar
Optms
RealGM
Posts: 13,942
And1: 4,939
Joined: Jun 11, 2009
 

Re: Tomas Satoransky States The Truth About The NBA And Its Reffing Agenda 

Post#63 » by Optms » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:37 am

og15 wrote:
Optms wrote:
asdfgh wrote:Giannis shouldn't have fouled out. That was a terrible call by the refs.


That was a great call by the refs. A player should not be allowed ram into the defender, who in this case, was back peddling.

After years of being relegated into seeing the Zebra$ protect the offensive player, we need to fully comprehend that it should go both ways. And that the way the league currently officiates its players is flat our wrong and unfair. The FIBA officiating in this case got it right. After seeing years of the league cater to the offensive player, it looks weird, but I believe the officials from FIBA made the correct call.

This is what it looks like when you aren't watching officials being paid to protect the star and or offensive player.

I would say catering to the offensive player there is giving an and 1, the fair call there for both sides is a no call.


Just like a player is prohibited from physically ramming/wrapping/hitting the offensive player while attempting a shot, that same offensive player should not be allowed to physically ram into a defender while he's trying to defend.

Makes just as much sense as saying a defender making contact with a player shooting should be a no-call.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
Posts: 33,726
And1: 13,228
Joined: Jun 23, 2004
Location: NBA Fan
 

Re: Tomas Satoransky States The Truth About The NBA And Its Reffing Agenda 

Post#64 » by og15 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:46 am

Optms wrote:
og15 wrote:
Optms wrote:
That was a great call by the refs. A player should not be allowed ram into the defender, who in this case, was back peddling.

After years of being relegated into seeing the Zebra$ protect the offensive player, we need to fully comprehend that it should go both ways. And that the way the league currently officiates its players is flat our wrong and unfair. The FIBA officiating in this case got it right. After seeing years of the league cater to the offensive player, it looks weird, but I believe the officials from FIBA made the correct call.

This is what it looks like when you aren't watching officials being paid to protect the star and or offensive player.

I would say catering to the offensive player there is giving an and 1, the fair call there for both sides is a no call.


Just like a player is prohibited from physically ramming/wrapping/hitting the offensive player while attempting a shot, that same offensive player should not be allowed to physically ram into a defender while he's trying to defend.

Makes just as much sense as saying a defender making contact with a player shooting should be a no-call.
Players can't ram into a defender if the defender has legal position. You can't just make a blanket statement rule though because in the blanket statement, a defender just moving into an offensive players path, what we call a blocking foul is now an offensive player "ramming" into him while he's trying to defend.

That defender was not in an legal defensive position, his body was sideways. You can't just get into the way of the offensive player or be in the way without a legal guarding position.
User avatar
KayDee35
Rookie
Posts: 1,161
And1: 1,219
Joined: Sep 05, 2009
Location: Cupcakery
   

Re: Tomas Satoransky States The Truth About The NBA And Its Reffing Agenda 

Post#65 » by KayDee35 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:47 am

The real story here is Corey Maggette who shot FTs at almost the same clip as Karl Malone. What did Corey have on Stern that bestowed him with star level calls despite never being an all-star? We will probably never know.

The guy shot a FT almost every 4 minutes - the same rate as the Mailman! We need an investigation.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
Posts: 33,726
And1: 13,228
Joined: Jun 23, 2004
Location: NBA Fan
 

Re: Tomas Satoransky States The Truth About The NBA And Its Reffing Agenda 

Post#66 » by og15 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:28 am

KayDee35 wrote:The real story here is Corey Maggette who shot FTs at almost the same clip as Karl Malone. What did Corey have on Stern that bestowed him with star level calls despite never being an all-star? We will probably never know.

The guy shot a FT almost every 4 minutes - the same rate as the Mailman! We need an investigation.

Corey Maggette was a foul draw machine. He had tons of tricks, he loved pump faking and looking for fouls, and he just looked for contact in general. Even late in games, there were times he angered us Clipper fans because he would be looking to draw contact instead of just score.

There is definitely an additional art to foul drawing. If you know how to initiate or force the defender to contact you and what the refs will call, you will get to the line. A lot of stars know this. If Maggette had a better handle and shot and was therefore a star player, his foul draw would 100% have been attributed to star calls.

Gallinari and Lou Williams are actually similar, very good at getting themselves FT's, cutting off defenders, getting them off balance, drawing contact with pump fakes, etc. Gallo is injured half the time, so we forget about him, but he was getting 8.2 FTA/G in 15-16 and part of that was deliberately looking for fouls.
MemphisX
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,250
And1: 1,023
Joined: Nov 10, 2011

Re: Tomas Satoransky States The Truth About The NBA And Its Reffing Agenda 

Post#67 » by MemphisX » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:39 am

FIBA officials have always had a bias against NBA stars.
jbk1234
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs
Posts: 36,150
And1: 20,618
Joined: Dec 22, 2010
   

Re: Tomas Satoransky States The Truth About The NBA And Its Reffing Agenda 

Post#68 » by jbk1234 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:50 am

Mirotic12 wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:That's not just a no call, that's a blocking foul, even in FIBA. He's dancing the entire time right?


It's an offensive foul under FIBA rules, because Giannis lowered his shoulder into the defender and it wasn't a basketball move, but rather an attempt to gain space into the defender's position. The defensive player does not need to be stopped moving if the offensive player initiates the contact with a lowered shoulder like that.

This is how you see the glaring difference. How the NBA makes that a defensive foul, because in that way, it rewards players for wildly throwing their bodies into defenders. In the NBA judging the calls like that, it promotes, creates, and gives incentives for players to do that over and over, rather than to attempt real basketball moves.

That then leads to these same players getting that call over and over and over, what the NBA calls "superstar calls".

Giannis gets that call in the NBA - OK. But he's spent years and years (more than in the NBA) playing under FIBA rules, and he knows you can't do that.

In EuroLeague for example, that might be a no call 2 out of 10 times, and it's a charge 8 out of 10 times. It's certainly not a foul on the defense.


This. I've even seen smaller players use their off arm while in the air to create space and get a call because they created the resulting separation. Just start no calling that ****.



Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app
It is highly unlikely that the Cavs will agree with your Kevin Love evaluation for the purpose of a trade.
the_other_guy
Sophomore
Posts: 223
And1: 132
Joined: Jul 24, 2015
     

Re: Tomas Satoransky States The Truth About The NBA And Its Reffing Agenda 

Post#69 » by the_other_guy » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:06 am

raptor jesus wrote:NBA officiating does have some annoying quirks - superstar calls, swallowing whistles down the stretch, etc. But when you watch other basketball - NCAA, FIBA - you realize how good they are, relatively speaking.


Best refs are in Euroleague, but because of the fiba vs ULEB feud, they were not in FIBA WC. There were some 3rd tier refs in this tournament and it showed. Horrible refereeing and quite bad work by the timekeepers, stats teams, etc.
Pretty bad organized tournament overall.
Tracymcgoaty
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,529
And1: 2,765
Joined: Dec 21, 2015

Re: Tomas Satoransky States The Truth About The NBA And Its Reffing Agenda 

Post#70 » by Tracymcgoaty » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:10 am

All you need to do is watch Lin getting manhandled in the paint and the ref looking at him like it's a legit defensive play..and then watch any other superstar as they draw fouls with such ease.
scrabbarista
Analyst
Posts: 3,689
And1: 2,071
Joined: May 31, 2015
 

Re: Tomas Satoransky States The Truth About The NBA And Its Reffing Agenda 

Post#71 » by scrabbarista » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:14 am

so_bored wrote:People need to realize NBA is no longer a genuine sport. It's an entertainment show now. There are simply too much money involved now from both league and players perspective to change that. It's really unfortunate, but it is what it is.


You're about twenty years late, but I'm not saying you're wrong.
TheDiesel36
Freshman
Posts: 88
And1: 69
Joined: Jan 24, 2016
 

Re: Tomas Satoransky States The Truth About The NBA And Its Reffing Agenda 

Post#72 » by TheDiesel36 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:49 am

clyde21 wrote:superstar calls are a thing, but let's get one thing straight Tomas...ain't no one ever said 'i wanna go watch Tomas Satoransky play basketball'...they come to watch Giannis, not you.

Yeah, I have said such thing plenty of times soo.. American arrogance is astonishing.. But I understand the point you are making, which I guess is Entertainment first, Sports second, which is exactly the NBA, in that case American fans and the media should just drop the narrative that anyone who isnt in the NBA is just no good in the Sport (the less meaningfull portion of the NBA)

To get to the actual Giannis calls, I love the fact that in the Intl basketball it doesnt have to be either/or in these situations because they are IMPOSSIBLE to judge lots of the time. However not calling offensive fouls on excessive use of off arm ( literally only reason how Lebron James is capable of beating his defender on the drive these days) and getting stars benefits in charge/block situations is probably the most prominent way of NBA protecting their star guys. Which is a stark shift (for the better for me) from end of 00s, where the predominant way of protecting names was calling those little silly touch fouls. I still love the NBA basketball, but Ive been watching less and less regular season basketball every year because of the star protection, lack of diversity on offense thanks to league rules and general refusal from top teams (and players) to care about RS. In the playoffs, all of that goes away, and they are and will be, still awesome.

Satoransky is a great player for FIBA and even for the NBA, however most of Intl guys that truly made it had two separate mindsets, one for Intl game one for the NBA, Sato does not have that and that is why he will struggle somewhat in the NBA.

Return to The General Board