If Lebron is the GOAT then how did he allow younger star players to catch him in rings already in his era?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Amares
Pro Prospect
And1: 387

Re: If Lebron is the GOAT then how did he allow younger star players to catch him in rings already in his era? 

Post#82 » by Amares » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:42 pm

If even the most uneducated fans know rings are terrible criteria for player vs player, why topics like this still exist?
jlokine
Analyst
And1: 3,934

Re: If Lebron is the GOAT then how did he allow younger star players to catch him in rings already in his era? 

Post#83 » by jlokine » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:01 pm

maybe lebron should blame himself for orchestrating the move to miami with bosh and wade and taking less money and the whole shabang.. before that, big 3s were formed by front offices... very rarely did players talked behind the scenes and get all buddy buddy and say let's play together.. now everyone is going out and having dinner with one another and recruiting at all-star games and chatting it up in hallways... he kinda paved the way to show other players that players hold most of the cards...
GeorgeMarcus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,049

Post#84 » by GeorgeMarcus » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:05 pm

Gooner wrote:
Joerezz7 wrote:
GeorgeMarcus wrote:
This is true at least. LeBron will never be demoted to Kobe's tier.

Lebron took too many losses in the Finals to be considered on the same level as Kobe. If Lebron wins one more ring then yea maybe we can consider him better than Kobe or on the same level

No, losses don't matter to them. This is an idnividual sport where the purpose for each player is to get the best stat line possible. LeBron gets his 27-7-7, and he shoots a good percentage! That's a win in itself, even when he loses.

Clearly you don’t know a lot about my posts if you think I’d base my argument on raw stats
The Legend of George Marcus

"Where I'm from, bullies get bullied." - Zach Randolph
GeorgeMarcus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,049

Post#85 » by GeorgeMarcus » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:00 pm

DreamTeam09 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:yeah I guess Patrick McCaw is in the GOAT convo now? wtf about rings.
Lebron is the GOAT and the GOAT did not have nor will he ever have the most rings regardless

You obviously know when ppl talk about rings in the context of greats, they're talking about as a 1 or 1a option. People who bring up non-greats in that argument are being trivial.

You obviously on your own the difference between Patrick McCaw having 3 rings or Horry having a bunch of rings is different than LeBron 3 rings

People who use the Horry argument don't believe he's in the GOAT conversation. It's just an obvious way to prove that rings aren't be-all end-alls when comparing players. Far from it.
The Legend of George Marcus

"Where I'm from, bullies get bullied." - Zach Randolph
Dennis 37
RealGM
And1: 17,786

Post#86 » by Dennis 37 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:12 pm

Steve Nash won zero rings. Because of this no one likes him and considers him nothing greater than a G-League walk-on.

I really don't get why people care about this. The player, himself, might care about this, but why anyone else should, I just don't get it.
Maxpainmedia:
"NYC has the **** most Two Faced fans, but we ALL loved IQ,, and that is super rare, I've been a Knicks fan for 37 years, this kid is a star and he will snap in Toronto"
leolozon
General Manager
And1: 7,755

Post#87 » by leolozon » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:25 pm

lakerz12 wrote:
leolozon wrote:I’ve been watching basketball for a long time and I swore I thought it was team sport... oh well, now that I know it’s an individual sport I won’t bother watching the 8 other guys on the court. I can’t wait for Lebron to play Curry!!! Thanks OP, you opened my eyes.

Then tell everyone to stop saying LeBron beat the 73-9 Warriors.

So now I'm responsible for everyone?

"Hey everyone, Lebron didn't beat the Warriors alone!"

What kind of argument is that? ...
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,199

Post#88 » by clyde21 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:26 pm

DaT WaVeY RiCaN wrote:Jesus off season cant come sooner enough

you've made some pretty questionable threads yourself vato
lakerz12
Head Coach
And1: 8,899

Post#89 » by lakerz12 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:28 pm

leolozon wrote:
lakerz12 wrote:
leolozon wrote:I’ve been watching basketball for a long time and I swore I thought it was team sport... oh well, now that I know it’s an individual sport I won’t bother watching the 8 other guys on the court. I can’t wait for Lebron to play Curry!!! Thanks OP, you opened my eyes.

Then tell everyone to stop saying LeBron beat the 73-9 Warriors.

So now I'm responsible for everyone?

"Hey everyone, Lebron didn't beat the Warriors alone!"

What kind of argument is that? ...

No, you're not responsible for everyone. I'm just suggesting that you should make sure to be consistent, if you want your argument to be valid.

If this were a thread about LeBron beating the 73-9 Warriors, would you still make your original comment?

Because it goes both ways. You can't use the "team game" excuse for his losses but give him individual credit for the wins.

Seems self explanatory, no?
iLLmatic860
General Manager
And1: 15,339

Post#90 » by iLLmatic860 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:30 pm

clyde21 wrote:

Why do you keep calling me vato
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,069

Post#91 » by Lalouie » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:32 pm

lebron is not "THE" goat, he is "A" goat

and curry might be goater than we think
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,199

Post#92 » by clyde21 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:36 pm

DaT WaVeY RiCaN wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

i call everyone vato
G35
RealGM
And1: 7,783

Post#93 » by G35 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:38 pm

LKN wrote:I'm an MJ guy but come on....

when does the season start again?

I'm a Kobe and MJ guy and it gets tiresome...but not as tired as Lebron fans thinking he's in the GOAT conversation.....
I'm so tired of the typical......
XxIronChainzxX
RealGM
And1: 7,659

Post#94 » by XxIronChainzxX » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:01 pm

Joerezz7 wrote:
GeorgeMarcus wrote:
Joerezz7 wrote:He allowed younger star players like Steph and Klay to catch him in rings and they are younger.

Wait a minute... He allowed younger stars to catch him AND they were younger? :-o

Steph is 31 and Klay is 29. Lebron is 35.

They didn't surpass him. They made 3 finals (if you count 2019) and went 1-2.

You'd have to add in KD to get to 3 rings matching LeBron.
XxIronChainzxX
RealGM

Post#95 » by XxIronChainzxX » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:03 pm

IgorK wrote:
CIN-C-STAR wrote:Kobe has zero argument for best player on his team for 3 of his championships, so stop right there.

And even if some players of Lebron have as many rings as he does, so what? The next tie breaker would be what? Probably either how many Finals overall you've lead your team to, or MVP Awards.
So who wins if we look at those stats next? :wink:

What a weak argument. LBJ wasn't best player for his first ring, either. He also needed TWO other stars to win 3 (Wade+Bosh in Miami, Love & Irving in Clevelad). Kobe only had 1 certified star for all 5 of his rings.

LOL what? LeBron was the best guy on all the Miami title teams. He flopped in 2011, but not any harder than Kobe self-destructing against the Pistons.

Also, counting Irving, Bosh and Love as "stars" compared to Shaq is silly. Shaq has as almost many Finals MVPs as the three of them combined have all-NBA teams.
XxIronChainzxX
RealGM

Post#96 » by XxIronChainzxX » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:06 pm

Joerezz7 wrote:
DreamTeam09 wrote:If you're the best player in the league by far then your peers shouldn't have the same or nearly the same accomplishments or even better accomplishments than you.

When Jordan learned to win, he didn't lose untill his organization didn't wanna pay him nemore. No1 ate when Jordan ate.

Kobe 3peat, then 2

Shaq 3peat, cut, won one with flash

LeBron well we know how that story played out, everyone ate during the LeBron era.

You gotta give LeBron that, he shared the wealth. Shared the money, shared the trophies

People don’t understand this. They rather deflect and make the conversation about role players like Robert Horry and Steve Kerr

I understand it. You're going to have to explain to me how Kobe allowed Steve Nash to win more MVPs. Or LeBron. That's the ultimate humiliation! Clearly Kobe was overshadowed by younger players. Career over. He might as well just scratch out his own name from the Hall of Fame.
PhilBlackson
RealGM
And1: 42,284

Post#97 » by PhilBlackson » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:07 pm

But he's not so don't worry your little heart.
>>>SCOTTIEALLSTARSEASON<<< -- U KNOW THE VIBEZ :guitar: Club Shai Shai GA
Taking names of who OG will be better than Shaedon: DelAbbott, ThaCynic, pingpongrac, Los_29, OakleyDokley
KyRo23
Lead Assistant
And1: 11,902

Post#98 » by KyRo23 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:09 pm

Joerezz7 wrote:He allowed younger star players like Steph and Klay to catch him in rings and they are younger. If KD played against the Raptors they would have more rings than him and KD would have the same amount of rings as him.

This is why Lebron will never be in the same tier as Kobe and MJ. MJ went 6-0 in the Finals and Kobe went 5-2 in the Finals. Kobe would never allow younger star players to catch him in rings in his era. Same with MJ.

How can you be the GOAT when younger star players catch you in rings basically forming a dynasty in your era? Let’s not forget Dirk getting a ring in his era and he lost to a bum like Dwight Howard in 2009. Lakers manhandled that same Magic team.

Unless Lebron wins another ring you can’t put him in the same tier as lethal offense players like Kobe and MJ.

You definitely just showed your age with the 2009 comments. Dwight was not a bum and a legit MVP candidate and LeBron manhandled the Magic in that series. He damn near averaged 40 points for the series with 8 and 8... Can I guess your age? 16.
DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 8,574

Post#99 » by DreamTeam09 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:20 pm

XxIronChainzxX wrote:
Joerezz7 wrote:
DreamTeam09 wrote:If you're the best player in the league by far then your peers shouldn't have the same or nearly the same accomplishments or even better accomplishments than you.

When Jordan learned to win, he didn't lose untill his organization didn't wanna pay him nemore. No1 ate when Jordan ate.

Kobe 3peat, then 2

Shaq 3peat, cut, won one with flash

LeBron well we know how that story played out, everyone ate during the LeBron era.

You gotta give LeBron that, he shared the wealth. Shared the money, shared the trophies

People don’t understand this. They rather deflect and make the conversation about role players like Robert Horry and Steve Kerr

I understand it. You're going to have to explain to me how Kobe allowed Steve Nash to win more MVPs. Or LeBron. That's the ultimate humiliation! Clearly Kobe was overshadowed by younger players. Career over. He might as well just scratch out his own name from the Hall of Fame.

To answer your question, regular season awards mvps aren't as valuable as fmvps. So Kobe was probably more focused on those, and a point can be made that Kobe / Shaq could've won those the years Nash won his. Not to discredit Nash, that's my dude too

In Raptor Ball I Trust
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#100 » by Stillwater » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:33 pm

clyde21 wrote:
DaT WaVeY RiCaN wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

i call everyone vato

wave @ Rico is probably more Apropos
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING

Return to The General Board