The Athletic: NBA execs around the league expect the gap between Clippers and Lakers to be significant

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

ProspectPark
Pro Prospect
And1: 700

Re: The Athletic: NBA execs around the league expect the gap between Clippers and Lakers to be significant 

Post#21 » by ProspectPark » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:55 pm

zimpy27 wrote:How do NBA execs get these jobs?

The fit on the Lakers is better than the Clippers but the Clippers have more talent from 1 to 8. The Lakers defense will be better, the Clippers offense will be better. I would say Clippers are slight favorites because they are younger.

How is the fit better on the Lakers when their 3 best players play the same position?
Forte IV
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,497

Re: The Athletic: NBA execs around the league expect the gap between Clippers and Lakers to be significant 

Post#22 » by Forte IV » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:57 pm

People forget LeBron struggled to win 50 games in the east a few years ago even with two all star players. AD is better than both, but the point still stands. This is the West. No days off.
If the Clippers win the championship next year I'm getting banned from RealGM
lambchop
General Manager
And1: 9,214

Post#23 » by lambchop » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:57 pm

Much better for the Lakers to be a scrubby underdog team than to be favoured.

That said, after seeing lebron throwing inbound passes against the back of the backboard, I'm not convinced LBJ is about basketball the way he used to be.
So many people who attain the heights of power in this culture—celebrities, for instance—have to make a show of false humility and modesty, as if they got as far as they did by accident and not by ego or ambition.
Forte IV
Lead Assistant

Post#24 » by Forte IV » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:58 pm

NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
BoyzNTheHood wrote:Agreed. LeBron has to go full God mode for the Lakers to beat LAC in my opinion. A lot of people are sleeping on Utah as well.

Full god mode? Who on the Clippers is going to check AD, he's averaging 27ppg in the playoffs and almost 30 with Draymond guarding him in 2 series.

You act as if 1 guy is going to score all their points lol. I've never understood this "but who's going to guard AD" argument. Of course he'll get his 30+ ppg. The Clippers just need to worry about shutting down everyone else. AD aint scoring 110 points.
Yogatti
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,194

Post#25 » by Yogatti » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:59 pm

NoDopeOnSundays wrote:The only person that shuts down AD is Embiid, you're not stopping him with a 6'7 wing, he can actually shoot unlike Giannis.

He seems pretty easy to shut down based on his playoff records...
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,249

Post#26 » by mademan » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:59 pm

1 exec. Just saying, the title is kinda disingenuous. Some are questioning how good the lakers are, only 1 exec has stated he believes theres a big gap between the 2 teams.
mademan
RealGM

Post#27 » by mademan » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:59 pm

Yogatti wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:The only person that shuts down AD is Embiid, you're not stopping him with a 6'7 wing, he can actually shoot unlike Giannis.

He seems pretty easy to shut down based on his playoff records...

...as does Paul George.
NBAFan93
RealGM
And1: 14,221

Post#28 » by NBAFan93 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:00 pm

Clippers were better last year by 11 games. Added two top 10 players and lost SGA and Gallanari.

Lakers only won 37 games last season. They added AD and Danny Green, and lost Lonzo, Ingram and Hart (not sure those losses mean much, but some may argue they do). I honestly think their biggest concern is that LeBron is going to be 35 instead of 34, and the last time he was elite in the playoffs he was 33. Like LeBron aging may degrade things so much that they won’t see as much of an improvement as everyone thinks from adding AD. Big difference between 33 and 35.
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM
And1: 29,542

Post#29 » by OkcSinceSGA » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:01 pm

mademan wrote:1 exec. Just saying, the title is kinda disingenuous. Some are questioning how good the lakers are, only 1 exec has stated he believes theres a big gap between the 2 teams.
1 exec expressed big gap, but all the others said discernable gap. Nevertheless their answer was clear.

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using RealGM mobile app
“This kid reminds me of a 6-6 Chris Paul. He wants to win everything.”

Olin Simplis- SGA’s trainer.
Yogatti
Bench Warmer

Post#30 » by Yogatti » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:02 pm

mademan wrote:...as does Paul George.

Paul George was going toe to toe against prime Lebron/Big 3 Heat in the ECFs. He's made the playoffs most of his career

AD's only been in the playoffs twice his entire career. One ended up getting swept. The other he only managed to win 1 playoff game before getting eliminated.
mademan
RealGM

Post#31 » by mademan » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:02 pm

ClipsFanSince98 wrote:
mademan wrote:1 exec. Just saying, the title is kinda disingenuous. Some are questioning how good the lakers are, only 1 exec has stated he believes theres a big gap between the 2 teams.
1 exec expressed big gap, but all the others said discernable gap. Nevertheless their answer was clear.

You didnt post a link, and what was written there doesnt say that at all.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,970

Post#32 » by zimpy27 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:03 pm

7footMONSTER wrote:

The fit on the Lakers is better than the Clippers but the Clippers have more talent from 1 to 8. The Lakers defense will be better, the Clippers offense will be better. I would say Clippers are slight favorites because they are younger.

How is the fit better on the Lakers when their 3 best players play the same position?

Green is a SG, LeBron is a SF, Davis is a PF
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
jpengland
Head Coach
And1: 6,555

Post#33 » by jpengland » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:04 pm

The Lakers defense will be better? Not a chance.
mademan
RealGM

Post#34 » by mademan » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:04 pm

Yogatti wrote:

Paul George was going toe to toe against prime Lebron/Big 3 Heat in the ECFs. He's made the playoffs most of his career

AD's only been in the playoffs twice his entire career. One ended up getting swept. The other he only managed to win 1 playoff game before getting eliminated.

I too think AD is overrated, but at least AD's play has held up in the playoffs. PG has too often completely underperformed. A few good games against the Big 3 Heat doesnt rewrite his poor playoff history.
mademan
RealGM

Post#35 » by mademan » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:06 pm

NBAFan93 wrote:Clippers were better last year by 11 games. Added two top 10 players and lost SGA and Gallanari.

Lakers only won 37 games last season. They added AD and Danny Green, and lost Lonzo, Ingram and Hart (not sure those losses mean much, but some may argue they do). I honestly think their biggest concern is that LeBron is going to be 35 instead of 34, and the last time he was elite in the playoffs he was 33. Like LeBron aging may degrade things so much that they won’t see as much of an improvement as everyone thinks from adding AD. Big difference between 33 and 35.

Kinda hard to point to the Lakers last year. They, very stupidly, went away from both a known Lebron formula as well as the current league idea that 3 point shooters are valuable. At the very least, the Lakers will be able to put out many units that go 4 out or (with AD) 5 out. There were too many lineups last year where Lebron was the best shooter. That is terrible team planning (hello Magic)
Don Ford
Analyst
And1: 1,042

Post#36 » by Don Ford » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:06 pm

7footMONSTER wrote:

You do realize that PG and Kawhi are both SFs?
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM
And1: 41,259

Post#37 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:07 pm

ClipsFanSince98 wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
GoCeltics123 wrote:Honestly Kawhi probably could, he shuts down everybody no matter the position

Also who on the Lakers guards PG? Kentavious Caldwell-brick?

The only person that shuts down AD is Embiid, you're not stopping him with a 6'7 wing, he can actually shoot unlike Giannis.
Kawhi's wingspan is 7'4. Embiid's is 7'6. Closer than you think

Who said anything about wingspan? If your hope is that Kawhi can guard AD you may as well pencil him in for 40 now, Draymond gets lit up by him.
Yogatti
Bench Warmer

Post#38 » by Yogatti » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:07 pm

mademan wrote:I too think AD is overrated, but at least AD's play has held up in the playoffs. PG has too often completely underperformed. A few good games against the Big 3 Heat doesnt rewrite his poor playoff history.

How exactly has AD's play help up in the playoffs?

This is his playoff resume.

2015: Swept by the Warriors
2018: Lost 4-1 against the Warriors

Paul George

ECF: Pushed the BIG 3 Heat to 6 games and 7 games in 2013/2014 in the Eastern Conference Finals.

Paul George has had more success in the playoffs that AD. AD rarely makes the playoffs
Forte IV
Lead Assistant

Post#39 » by Forte IV » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:08 pm

mademan wrote:
Yogatti wrote:

I too think AD is overrated, but at least AD's play has held up in the playoffs. PG has too often completely underperformed. A few good games against the Big 3 Heat doesnt rewrite his poor playoff history.

Paul George last 5 playoff stats:

14: 22.6 ppg 7.6 rpg 3.8 apg
16: 27.3 ppg 7.6 rpg 4.3 apg
17: 28.0 ppg 8.8 rpg 7.3 apg
18: 24.7 ppg 6.0 rpg 2.7 apg
19: 28.6 ppg 8.6 rpg 3.6 apg

Oh but please keep telling me how Paul George doesn't show up.
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM
And1: 29,542

Post#40 » by OkcSinceSGA » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:09 pm

mademan wrote:
ClipsFanSince98 wrote:

You didnt post a link, and what was written there doesnt say that at all.
https://theathletic.com/1228769/2019/09/20/nba-executive-survey-will-the-warriors-make-the-playoffs-how-do-the-new-clippers-compare-to-the-new-lakers/

"Even flanked with Davis, no one I spoke with believes LeBron and the Lakers are better than the upstart Clips."

I'm literally posting the quote lol

“This kid reminds me of a 6-6 Chris Paul. He wants to win everything.”

Olin Simplis- SGA’s trainer.

Return to The General Board