The Athletic: NBA execs around the league expect the gap between Clippers and Lakers to be significant

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Forte IV
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,497

Re: The Athletic: NBA execs around the league expect the gap between Clippers and Lakers to be significant 

Post#61 » by Forte IV » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:20 pm

NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
Catchall wrote:I'm going to laugh when these two teams have to match up in the first round of the playoffs. They deserve each other.

In a shocking twist the Clipper fans have been far more obnoxious so far, you can't even make a case for them not winning the next 12 titles without 15 of them swarming you.

More like 18 out of the next 22.
If the Clippers win the championship next year I'm getting banned from RealGM
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,254

Re: The Athletic: NBA execs around the league expect the gap between Clippers and Lakers to be significant 

Post#62 » by Catchall » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:20 pm

mademan wrote:
Catchall wrote:I'm going to laugh when these two teams have to match up in the first round of the playoffs. They deserve each other.

4-5 series. I can easily see all of GSW/Denver/Rockets finishing above them. To be fair, the top of the West is very unpredictable. You got a lot of teams who think they should be getting HCA (LAL/LAC/HOU/GSW/DEN/POR/UTA)

Denver and Utah are going to win a lot of games. Houston and Portland could too. I could see both LA teams doing some load management, or giving their stars extra caution around injuries. So I could see a 4/5 or 3/6 matchup that takes one of them out in the first round.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
NBAFan93
RealGM
And1: 14,221

Post#63 » by NBAFan93 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:21 pm

ClipsFanSince98 wrote:
Forte IV wrote:
mademan wrote:
I too think AD is overrated, but at least AD's play has held up in the playoffs. PG has too often completely underperformed. A few good games against the Big 3 Heat doesnt rewrite his poor playoff history.

Paul George last 5 playoff stats:

14: 22.6 ppg 7.6 rpg 3.8 apg
16: 27.3 ppg 7.6 rpg 4.3 apg
17: 28.0 ppg 8.8 rpg 7.3 apg
18: 24.7 ppg 6.0 rpg 2.7 apg
19: 28.6 ppg 8.6 rpg 3.6 apg

Oh but please keep telling me how Paul George doesn't show up.
This narrative is hilarious and I keep calling it out. PG's two series against LeBron were especially fantastic. He went toe to toe with PEAK LeBron and held his own.

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using RealGM mobile app

In 18 and 19 you need to look at the individual games and not the averages. Game 6 in 2018 he scored 5 points on like 4/30 shooting - just an average performance and that series could have went back to OKC for a game 7.

In 19 he was god awful in 2 games. Also had a bad turnover and missed key free throws at the end of that Lillard game winner game (even though his overall stats for the game were good). Only reason OKC wasn’t swept was cause Westbrook was elite in the game they won.

Like it or not, he really let OKC down both postseasons.
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM
And1: 29,604

Post#64 » by OkcSinceSGA » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:22 pm

Catchall wrote:
mademan wrote:

4-5 series. I can easily see all of GSW/Denver/Rockets finishing above them. To be fair, the top of the West is very unpredictable. You got a lot of teams who think they should be getting HCA (LAL/LAC/HOU/GSW/DEN/POR/UTA)

Denver and Utah are going to win a lot of games. Houston and Portland could too. I could see both LA teams doing some load management, or giving their stars extra caution around injuries. So I could see a 4/5 or 3/6 matchup that takes one of them out in the first round.
Doc and Frank confirmed Kawhi isn't on load management (as did Kawhi). It was aggressive last year because he came into season injured and hadn't played year before really. He's expected to play almost every game

“This kid reminds me of a 6-6 Chris Paul. He wants to win everything.”

Olin Simplis- SGA’s trainer.
Yogatti
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,194

Post#65 » by Yogatti » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:22 pm

NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
Yogatti wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:You may as well work for Fox News with this level of spin, PG loses to LeBron so it's no big deal, nevermind the Jazz and Joe Ingles killing him 2 years ago, or Lillard waving goodbye last year. But, AD is to blame for losing to the Warriors though...unreal.

AD didn't even put up a fight. You want to give him all the credit for his playoff success(wait does he have any playoff success?) but deflect all the blame when he gets swept or get eliminated in 5 games.

PG losing to Lebron is a big deal because they were really close to beating the BIG 3 HEAT. But PG stilled played great in those series

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/Warriors-Complete-Sweep-with-109-98-Win-Over-Pelicans-301336951.html

https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2018/5/8/17329160/warriors-pelicans-2018-time-tv-channel-watch-live-online-game-5
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM

Post#66 » by OkcSinceSGA » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:23 pm

NBAFan93 wrote:
ClipsFanSince98 wrote:
Forte IV wrote:
Paul George last 5 playoff stats:

14: 22.6 ppg 7.6 rpg 3.8 apg
16: 27.3 ppg 7.6 rpg 4.3 apg
17: 28.0 ppg 8.8 rpg 7.3 apg
18: 24.7 ppg 6.0 rpg 2.7 apg
19: 28.6 ppg 8.6 rpg 3.6 apg

Oh but please keep telling me how Paul George doesn't show up.
This narrative is hilarious and I keep calling it out. PG's two series against LeBron were especially fantastic. He went toe to toe with PEAK LeBron and held his own.

In 18 and 19 you need to look at the individual games and not the averages. Game 6 in 2018 he scored 5 points on like 4/30 shooting - just an average performance and that series could have went back to OKC for a game 7.

In 19 he was god awful in 2 games. Also had a bad turnover and missed key free throws at the end of that Lillard game winner game (even though his overall stats for the game were good). Only reason OKC wasn’t swept was cause Westbrook was elite in the game they won.

Like it or not, he really let OKC down both postseasons.
In OKC his efficiency was bad. That being said he wasn't in an ideal situation and the opponents were elite defensively (such as #1 defense Jazz two years ago). Gotta take his career. He's not an amazing playoff performer, but he's also not a complete dud or choke as people are saying.

3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 119,497

Post#67 » by 3toheadmelo » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:24 pm

Wouldn’t be surprised if Golden state or Houston is right up there with the Clippers. The acquisitions of Westbrook and D’Angelo Russell might be underrated.

I think the Lakers are gonna be an 8th seed also.
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
Up-And-Coming
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,687

Post#68 » by Up-And-Coming » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:25 pm

As far as expectations wise, Clippers are by far favored by basketball “experts” and fans. There’s not really a close gap.
Catchall
RealGM

Post#69 » by Catchall » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:26 pm

ClipsFanSince98 wrote:
Catchall wrote:
mademan wrote:

Doc and Frank confirmed Kawhi isn't on load management (as did Kawhi). It was aggressive last year because he came into season injured and hadn't played year before really. He's expected to play almost every game

That's what they're saying, but Kawhi broke down by the third round of the POs last year. PG was also hurt by the end of last season with his shoulder issues. They're a top-heavy team that really needs both of their stars to win.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM
And1: 41,362

Post#70 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:26 pm

Yogatti wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
Yogatti wrote:
AD didn't even put up a fight. You want to give him all the credit for his playoff success(wait does he have any playoff success?) but deflect all the blame when he gets swept or get eliminated in 5 games.

PG losing to Lebron is a big deal because they were really close to beating the BIG 3 HEAT. But PG stilled played great in those series

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/Warriors-Complete-Sweep-with-109-98-Win-Over-Pelicans-301336951.html

https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2018/5/8/17329160/warriors-pelicans-2018-time-tv-channel-watch-live-online-game-5

AD loses to one of the greatest teams ever in their championship years.

Jingles drops PG off......

But but but LeBron beat PG half a decade ago! :lol:
NBAFan93
RealGM
And1: 14,221

Post#71 » by NBAFan93 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:26 pm

I guess I’m not sure where I stand on this - I guess I feel both teams are overrated. Clippers much less so though cause at least they were a good team before adding these stars.

I think people’s unwillingness to acknowledge LeBron's aging and ADs lack of career winning is overrating the Lakers. I also think people’s undervaluing of Westbrook and the 2019 Raptor’s other players - and ignoring of PGs recent playoff struggles is causing them to overrate the Clippers.

I guess it wouldn’t surprise me if either team performs well below what seems to be the consensus expectations.
Yogatti
Bench Warmer

Post#72 » by Yogatti » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:27 pm

Catchall wrote:
ClipsFanSince98 wrote:
Catchall wrote:

That's what they're saying, but Kawhi broke down by the third round of the POs last year. PG was also hurt by the end of last season with his shoulder issues. They're a top-heavy team that really needs both of their stars to win.

They didn't have a problem winning 48 games last season and 2 games against the Warriors in the playoffs. That Clippers team with no all-stars/superstars put up more of a fight than AD did in 2015/2018
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,519

Post#73 » by LofJ » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:27 pm

I'm not super high on the Lakers but I'm laughing at the people trying to downplay Anthony Davis.

In his first playoff series as the 8th seed playing the Warriors he was far and away the best player on the court. It wasn't even really that close, he was unstoppable. And now that he's even better, especially on the defensive end, he's a player that isn't good enough to help the Lakers win and advance? Lol, good luck with that, I'll be laughing again when Davis averages 30 and 15 and dominates your team on both ends of the court. it's okay to admit that Davis is really, really good, it won't make your team any worse.
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,573

Post#74 » by LightTheBeam » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:27 pm

Forte IV wrote:
Don Ford wrote:
7footMONSTER wrote:
How is the fit better on the Lakers when their 3 best players play the same position?

You do realize that PG and Kawhi are both SFs?

You do realize Paul George played SG for the Pacers with Danny Granger in Indiana and will do the same with the Clippers right?

I don't think this guys payed attention to the league. The 3 spot is the most desirable position in the league. **** I think teams would take 3 of them if they could. Put a Paul George at the 2, Kawhi at the 3, and have another athletic big wing at the 4. Watch teams get blown by on offense. Look at the Warriors. They ran 1-2-3-3-4 with Dray and Iggy. One of the most successful teams ever.

Ill take PG/Kawhi over Lebron/AD Any day of the week, and thats even with Lebron still being the best player of that bunch.
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM

Post#75 » by OkcSinceSGA » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:30 pm

Catchall wrote:
ClipsFanSince98 wrote:
Catchall wrote:

Clippers are the opposite of top heavy. Not sure why this myth persists. They are a legit threat to be the best bench in the league easily for the 2nd year in a row.

Shamet
Lou Will
Harrell
Harkless
McGruder

That's likely to be their bench 5. That lineup could win 30 games and would beat a lot of teams any given night.

mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,274

Post#76 » by mademan » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:30 pm

3toheadmelo wrote:Wouldn’t be surprised if Golden state or Houston is right up there with the Clippers. The acquisitions of Westbrook and D’Angelo Russell might be underrated.

This is where i think LAL is flying under the radar. Last year, they had no shooting. It was dumb team design, both from the perspective of building around Lebron as well as keeping up with the times. Besides Rondo, all of their wing guys are respectable to great shooters. Depending on how Bradley plays (he's still young, only 28) they're going to have solid to above average perimeter defense between him/Green/Caruso as well as above average to elite inside defense.

I legit think LAL is being undersold here because they were overhyped last year. This has the makings of a scary, if injury prone, team.
Yogatti
Bench Warmer

Post#77 » by Yogatti » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:31 pm

NoDopeOnSundays wrote:

so many excuses for AD. I thought AD was a generational talent? MVP? Best player in the world? How can you only win 1 playoff game against the Warriors your entire career?

2015: Zero wins against the Warriors
2018: 1 win against the Warriors

The Los Angeles Clippers with no allstars/superstars won 2 games against the Warriors in 2019. Both of them in Oakland. And that's with Kevin Durant on the Warriors.

But okay keep pushing this narrative that AD is some unstoppable machine despite his lack of playoff success. No one is scared of AD in the playoffs, partially because he's never in the playoffs most of his career anyway :lol:
Catchall
RealGM

Post#78 » by Catchall » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:32 pm

3toheadmelo wrote:Wouldn’t be surprised if Golden state or Houston is right up there with the Clippers. The acquisitions of Westbrook and D’Angelo Russell might be underrated.

Houston will be as good as Harden makes them. Everything runs through him offensively.

I think the Warriors just lost too many guys on the perimeter to be much better than .500. If their starters are Curry/D'Lo,/Burks/Draymond/WCS, then their bench would have to be McKinney, Spellman and rookies, no?
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Don Ford
Analyst
And1: 1,042

Post#79 » by Don Ford » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:33 pm

RipPizzaGuy wrote:
Forte IV wrote:
Don Ford wrote:
You do realize that PG and Kawhi are both SFs?

You do realize Paul George played SG for the Pacers with Danny Granger in Indiana and will do the same with the Clippers right?

I don't think this guys payed attention to the league. The 3 spot is the most desirable position in the league. **** I think teams would take 3 of them if they could. Put a Paul George at the 2, Kawhi at the 3, and have another athletic big wing at the 4. Watch teams get blown by on offense. Look at the Warriors. They ran 1-2-3-3-4 with Dray and Iggy. One of the most successful teams ever.

Ill take PG/Kawhi over Lebron/AD Any day of the week, and thats even with Lebron still being the best player of that bunch.

Crazy to me how many people, like yourself, are so significantly underrating AD.
Catchall
RealGM

Post#80 » by Catchall » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:33 pm

Yogatti wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:

so many excuses for AD. I thought AD was a generational talent? MVP? Best player in the world? How can you only win 1 playoff game against the Warriors your entire career?

2015: Zero wins against the Warriors
2018: 1 win against the Warriors

The Los Angeles Clippers with no allstars/superstars won 2 games against the Warriors in 2019. Both of them in Oakland. And that's with Kevin Durant on the Warriors.

But okay keep pushing this narrative that AD is some unstoppable machine despite his lack of playoff success

The truth is, AD can be an unstoppable machine, especially if he has something to play for. Losing to the Warriors doesn't mean anything. Everyone loses to the Warriors.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh

Return to The General Board