Jaylen Brown to be moved during the season? Extension talks with Celtics not great

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

TheFinishSniper
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,244

Re: Jaylen Brown to be moved during the season? Extension talks with Celtics not great 

Post#221 » by TheFinishSniper » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:15 pm

Evan was overpaid and bad contract
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,836

Re: Jaylen Brown to be moved during the season? Extension talks with Celtics not great 

Post#222 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:21 pm

TheFinishSniper wrote:Evan was overpaid and bad contract

Exactly. If you are going to pay a bum like Evan Turner that kind of money, then Jaylen will command more. Easily. He's already a better player at 22 years old than Evan Turner was in his prime.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#223 » by The_Hater » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:21 pm

Jaylen might end up overpaid too, but he’s younger and better than Evan was plus the cap number has gone up the past 3 years. One team thought Turner was worth $17 million in 2016 while right now all 30 NBA teams would take Brown at $17 without thinking twice.

The starting number is probably about $22-23 million. I personally wouldn’t pay him more than that but he’s almost certainly going to get offered a lot more.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#224 » by Prokorov » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:33 pm

Ainge cant pay Brown, its a worse situation the otto porter or gordon because at least those guys showed they could either be elite shooters or scorers. Plus its not just salary. Blame Kyrie 90% if you want but Brown was still unaccepting of his role and then you also have a really imbalanced celtics roster with too many smalls and no bigs.

-Cant pay brown when kemba is overpaid on a max deal, tatum is a lock for the max and you are giving hayward 30 million.
-Moving brown moves the last locker room issue (kyrie/rozier/brown)
-moving brown avoids an overpay.

Brown is gonna get a floor of 4/80. Even if you think he is closer to levert in talent/ceiling he is younger and doesnt have the long injury history. He probably gets a minimum of what Barnes got of 4/85.

Ainge needs to get value too, holding on to brown instead of dealing him for a star while then needing to deal him for 75 cents on the dollar because he wont be worth the 22-28 million per year you'll need to pay him is a bad look
Pharmcat
RealGM
And1: 19,009

Post#225 » by Pharmcat » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:37 pm

Tiny ball wrote:
Pharmcat wrote:
Tiny ball wrote: Who is KL? Rest of those guys have really not done much winning in their careers. Boston's young guys where few minutes away from finals in first couple of years in the league. I personally didn't want PG AD OR Butler.

KL = kwahi. And the war chest of picks Ainge has had has not done much either. Ainge overplayed his hand, its OK to admit that[/quote. I got that later.. I was up late:-) KL would not really have helped Celtic long term anyway. Golden State has done just fine with draft and development. Giving away that pick for rental was a very bad move.

not if you won ring like TOR did
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#226 » by Prokorov » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:39 pm

will wrote:Jaylen Brown is AIGHT at best.

Still hasn't really developed any skill set that is truly elite - or at least trending in that direction.

Nice rotation player who is a starter. That's pretty much it.

All true but also irrelevant. look what a 25 year old, oft injured role guy like Caris levert got. brown is 3 years younger, better, not injured.

teams with money will easli go 4/85-100. what else will they spend their cap on? unless your team is a perrenial contender you wont keep a job as a GM sitting on cap with a losing team
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#227 » by Prokorov » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:42 pm

Tiny ball wrote:
ballup wrote:
Tiny ball wrote: The Celtics have done their best to hold him back other teams know this so odds are a max is a coming.
Yes, sabotaging a young player was Ainge's priority so he can underpay Jaylen on the next contract. Instead of you know, developing Jaylen to improve the team's chances of a championship. Big brain move there.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
That is Danny's way. Bring in star to take all the shots and minutes in Gordon but that didn't pan out as planned and Jaylon got minutes. Then the Celtics where just minutes away from the finals playing young guys and two big guys. The very next year Brad did not play that line up one minute.. Of course Danny tossed away first round pick for goofball chucker rental to play hero ball and take all the shots away from the young guys the team should have been developing. That worked out really well:-) Then he goes and gives max money to smaller older hero ball chucker that loves to dribble out the clock forgets to start offence and will take shots and minutes from younger players the Celtics should be developing. We will see how it works out this time?

I think this really gets to the heart of it... Ainge needs to get off the fence. if you arent going all in with your young players and assets to win, then dont give a 30 year old poor mans version of kyrie 30 million and keep hayward around. invest in the youth.

I can see a brown for steven adams deal that makes the celtics a 42-45 win treadmill team that has become all-in on Tatum becoming a star. not the spot you want to be when you had picks, young assets, and two top 20 players
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#228 » by Prokorov » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:43 pm

CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:

Exactly. If you are going to pay a bum like Evan Turner that kind of money, then Jaylen will command more. Easily. He's already a better player at 22 years old than Evan Turner was in his prime.

the cap is also much higher then when turner got that money
itrsteve
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,243

Post#229 » by itrsteve » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:50 pm

Prokorov wrote:
itrsteve wrote:Glad to hear Brooklyn is in a better place than Boston before a single game has been played.

Do we need to play a single game?

The Nets Have Kevin Durant. the celtics have something called vincent pourier.

Typically sports require games to be played. I hate to ruin it for you, but it's the main point.

If you're talking about trading cards, then you may have a point.
Tiny ball
Veteran
And1: 840

Post#230 » by Tiny ball » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:51 pm

Pharmcat wrote:
Tiny ball wrote:
Pharmcat wrote:

KL = kwahi. And the war chest of picks Ainge has had has not done much either. Ainge overplayed his hand, its OK to admit that[/quote. I got that later.. I was up late:-) KL would not really have helped Celtic long term anyway. Golden State has done just fine with draft and development. Giving away that pick for rental was a very bad move.

not if you won ring like TOR did

The idea is to be in the finals for the next decade and win lots of rings. Celtics might have won one this year if they would have just got rid of Kryie at the deadline.
matt6715
Veteran
And1: 2,797

Post#231 » by matt6715 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:58 pm

A team with a need for a 2-way wing will throw him the max if he's available. I could definitely see the Mavs making that offer to pair him with Luka-KP
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#232 » by Prokorov » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:01 pm

itrsteve wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
itrsteve wrote:Glad to hear Brooklyn is in a better place than Boston before a single game has been played.

Typically sports require games to be played. I hate to ruin it for you, but it's the main point.

so then we shouldnt say that the clippers or lakers or rockets are in better shape moving forward then the pistons cause "no games played?"

:roll:
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#233 » by Prokorov » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:03 pm

itrsteve wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

typically sports require having good players to win. the nets have really good players. boston has some dude who couldnt hack it in summer league and a guy turkey is trying to assasinate as their centers
itrsteve
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,243

Post#234 » by itrsteve » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:05 pm

Yikes, I need to pay attention to who I'm replying to. Disregard.
drosereturn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,495

Post#235 » by drosereturn » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:05 pm

The_Hater wrote:

Jaylen might end up overpaid too, but he’s younger and better than Evan was plus the cap number has gone up the past 3 years. One team thought Turner was worth $17 million in 2016 while right now all 30 NBA teams would take Brown at $17 without thinking twice.

The starting number is probably about $22-23 million. I personally wouldn’t pay him more than that but he’s almost certainly going to get offered a lot more.

Evan Turner was garbage dunno why Blazers massively overpaid him. Probably, they couldnt attract Tier 1 FAs so they had to settle.
Jaylen has massive potential he can better than Tatum if everything goes right. The combination of his age, athleticism, multi-position defender makes him worth 20 along with the untapped potential. 20 is chump change considering post-ACL Lavine got 4/80.
Lamelo will be a future superstar Bull. Book it. Lavar for president!
The_Hater

Post#236 » by The_Hater » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:11 pm

Showtime23 wrote:
The_Hater wrote:

Evan Turner was garbage dunno why Blazers massively overpaid him. Probably, they couldnt attract Tier 1 FAs so they had to settle.
Jaylen has massive potential he can better than Tatum if everything goes right. The combination of his age, athleticism, multi-position defender makes him worth 20 along with the untapped potential. 20 is chump change considering post-ACL Lavine got 4/80.

I completely disagree that he has massive potential or more potential than Tatum.

I don’t think Brown will ever be a reliable shot creator and scorer. That doesn’t mean he isn’t a good player and you’re right about his defensive versatility, but I think he’s extremely limited in the half court other than being a spot up shooter. His handle is weak and he can’t pass at all.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,022

Post#237 » by Darth Celtic » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:21 pm

Overpaid Kemba walker was my favorite line so far......
MrDollarBills = MrWelchesBets
TunaFish
Head Coach
And1: 5,786

Post#238 » by TunaFish » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:22 pm

The_Hater wrote:
TunaFish wrote:Brown shoots free throws at about 65%. Compare that to Tatum and Hayward who are at 85%. That strongly suggests that Jaylen Brown is not a good shot and for a wing, that's not usually a starting player.

He should earn a bench salary.

I don’t even like Jaylen Brown that much but he’s clearly a starter in the NBA. And using his FT% as the prime reason why he’s a bench player seems ridiculous.

He’s got good size, he’s good out on the break, he defends and shoots 3’s at an above average rate. That makes him a starter on about 28 NBA teams even before factoring in that he’s only 22 and likely to improve.

He is not a starter in Boston and I seriously doubt he would start on 28 NBA teams. He is what he is. Free throw shooting is excellent gauge of shooting ability and he has consistently shot 65% over two years. Sure he can improve and so can everybody else but he is the last player I would want on a team that needs shooting from the small forward position and most do. He is better from the bench just like they play him in Boston.
Canned in Denver.
The_Hater

Post#239 » by The_Hater » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:33 pm

TunaFish wrote:
The_Hater wrote:
TunaFish wrote:Brown shoots free throws at about 65%. Compare that to Tatum and Hayward who are at 85%. That strongly suggests that Jaylen Brown is not a good shot and for a wing, that's not usually a starting player.

He should earn a bench salary.

I don’t even like Jaylen Brown that much but he’s clearly a starter in the NBA. And using his FT% as the prime reason why he’s a bench player seems ridiculous.

He’s got good size, he’s good out on the break, he defends and shoots 3’s at an above average rate. That makes him a starter on about 28 NBA teams even before factoring in that he’s only 22 and likely to improve.

He is not a starter in Boston and I seriously doubt he would start on 28 NBA teams. He is what he is. Free throw shooting is excellent gauge of shooting ability and he has consistently shot 65% over two years. Sure he can improve and so can everybody else but he is the last player I would want on a team that needs shooting from the small forward position and most do. He is better from the bench just like they play him in Boston.

He is the starter in Boston this season and he started 95/144 games the past 2 seasons. So while Stevens has moved him around due to the Celtics depth he’s primarily been a starter.

I’m not sure how you’ve concluded that he’s better off the bench? His career per minute splits as starter and reserve are pretty much the exact same and he played the best ball of his career in the 2018 playoffs while starting.

And I stick by the statement that he’d start for 28 teams. Other than the Sixers, I could see him starting for any of the other 29 teams. Every team needs a big wing who can guard the Kawhi, Lebron, KD types and Brown is that type of guy.
Masai is overrated.

April 14th, 2019.
John Murdoch
General Manager
And1: 7,265

Post#240 » by John Murdoch » Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:08 pm

kio80 wrote:Everyone thinks they are a max player these days. He’s worth around 8-10 mil per year max if he gets lucky.
Nerlens Noel of the Celtics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haha more like 15 in this market
Magic#1 wrote:We have won two playoff games in two years. If we decide to keep this team for the next two years, maybe it will feel like we won a series.

Return to The General Board