Accurate Player Heights Predictions

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

RealShaneGray
Sophomore
And1: 19

Re: Accurate Player Heights Predictions 

Post#121 » by RealShaneGray » Sat Oct 5, 2019 11:26 pm

VDT wrote:It will be weird now with some teams giving the actual barefoot heights while others continue giving heights in shoes.

If the NBA wanted to do that they should measure the players themselves.

Agreed. Many teams didnt like the new requirements so it will be interesting if they all end up complying between now snd regular season ...or if they do not. Teams listed how they wanted to for decades-- mostly in shoes-- so I domt blame them for being upset about being micromanaged in such a way.

If nba wants to ensure true bsrrgoot heights for everyone they will have to do it without socks and nba reps doing measuring. Too many players pressuring there own trainers and staff to get listings they want otherwise.

I think the best solution to please everyone is to measure without socks and make it known that was done and then add a standard of either 1.25 or 1.5 for shoes and call it playing height .

What do you think of that ?
RealShaneGray
Sophomore

Post#122 » by RealShaneGray » Sat Oct 5, 2019 11:29 pm

GregOden wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:
NO-KG-AI wrote:
And yet, during introductions they called him 7'2, the coach calls him 7'2, Embiid said his doctors told him he grew to 7'2. and the fans argued that he has grown to 7'2, and all the beat writers reported that he grew to 7'2.

So what happened to all that growth? Keep pretending that this wasn't a thing, or a topic.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1734491

Also, props to the 6ers for posting the real number, because we can use EMbiid and Simmons height to dispel the myths about all these guys growing 3 inches, when Embiid makes them look like small children still.

But ...doctors measured him at 7' 2" though.... Sixers fans can't be making that up right? :lol:

#1 it could've been a morning measurement

#2 Some doctors do measure lying down instead of standing up. You are around an inch or so "shorter" standing up than your length would be measured laying down.

Based on other heights and almost everyone above combine heights that are usually early morning then these were definitely morning measurements .
RealShaneGray
Sophomore

Post#123 » by RealShaneGray » Sat Oct 5, 2019 11:32 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:Basketball players heights have always been with shoes. So I really have no issue people calling Embiid 7'1 or KD 6'11. The only thing Im harping on is, it is clear as day all the stories about these guys growing 2-3 inches since draft day are all pretty bogus. And if we are going to go with height with shoes, then lets call everyone with their heights with shoes. The picking and choosing on who gets the shoe bump and who gets the barefoot measurement (sometimes even less) is the annoying part to me.

I think some teams will comply and some will not. What would u think of this solution to please both the micromanaging league offive and Adam Silver as well as the teams and players:?

Measure without socks by nba reps and then let it be known that was done and that every player gets either 1.25 or 1.5 inches to that to account for giving everyone the same shoe boost and call it playing height. Thoughts?
marcush
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,151

Post#124 » by marcush » Sat Oct 5, 2019 11:33 pm

Lol. So now it’s not enough to simply compare the new official height differs from their former official height, we now need to factor in what time of the day the measurement was taken and what a some of the fans claimed.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,086
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#125 » by NO-KG-AI » Sat Oct 5, 2019 11:35 pm

Nobody would have been bothered if Embiid was listed at 7' or 7'1. We're just here to say "told you so" to the massive amounts of fans and media that insist everyone is growing 3 inches every summer. :dontknow:
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
marcush
Assistant Coach

Post#126 » by marcush » Sat Oct 5, 2019 11:40 pm

I think we need an official register of what some fans thought the heights were. It makes comparison easier.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,610

Post#127 » by Duke4life831 » Sat Oct 5, 2019 11:41 pm

RealShaneGray wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:Basketball players heights have always been with shoes. So I really have no issue people calling Embiid 7'1 or KD 6'11. The only thing Im harping on is, it is clear as day all the stories about these guys growing 2-3 inches since draft day are all pretty bogus. And if we are going to go with height with shoes, then lets call everyone with their heights with shoes. The picking and choosing on who gets the shoe bump and who gets the barefoot measurement (sometimes even less) is the annoying part to me.

I think some teams will comply and some will not. What would u think of this solution to please both the micromanaging league offive and Adam Silver as well as the teams and players:?

Measure without socks by nba reps and then let it be known that was done and that every player gets either 1.25 or 1.5 inches to that to account for giving everyone the same shoe boost and call it playing height. Thoughts?

Ya I thought it would be this simple when they first announced this.
MrGoat
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,277

Post#128 » by MrGoat » Sat Oct 5, 2019 11:45 pm

E-Balla wrote:Surprised this wasn't posted here...

Read on Twitter

Where's Ben Simmons?
marcush
Assistant Coach

Post#129 » by marcush » Sat Oct 5, 2019 11:45 pm

Lol. Their height is their height. It’s a simple factual measurement. Why would you possibly feel the need to complicate.
marcush
Assistant Coach

Post#130 » by marcush » Sat Oct 5, 2019 11:47 pm

MrGoat wrote:

Read on Twitter

Where's Ben Simmons?

Click on the pic.
RealShaneGray
Sophomore

Post#131 » by RealShaneGray » Sun Oct 6, 2019 12:38 am

Tobias Harris trainer was kind to him. 6'6 1/4" at combine after college now 6'7 1/2". Lol.

He was a guy who inflated his height to 6'9" so my guess is they gave him enough at 6'7 1/2" to round up to 6'8" when rosters come out. I'm sure they will use full inches for those.
Jams60
Sophomore
And1: 64

Post#132 » by Jams60 » Sun Oct 6, 2019 12:42 am

marcush wrote:Lol. So now it’s not enough to simply compare the new official height differs from their former official height, we now need to factor in what time of the day the measurement was taken and what a some of the fans claimed.

I guarantee some of these players are also standing on tippy toes. I know I did every time mum measured me.
21 TD
Junior
And1: 131

Post#133 » by 21 TD » Sun Oct 6, 2019 12:48 am

RealShaneGray wrote:Tobias Harris trainer was kind to him. 6'6 1/4" at combine after college now 6'7 1/2". Lol.

He was a guy who inflated his height to 6'9" so my guess is they gave him enough at 6'7 1/2" to round up to 6'8" when rosters come out. I'm sure they will use full inches for those.

He entered the league at 19, so he could have easily grown since then and I remember hearing that he did a bunch of years ago.
RealShaneGray
Sophomore

Post#134 » by RealShaneGray » Sun Oct 6, 2019 12:52 am

Jams60 wrote:
marcush wrote:Lol. So now it’s not enough to simply compare the new official height differs from their former official height, we now need to factor in what time of the day the measurement was taken and what a some of the fans claimed.

I guarantee some of these players are also standing on tippy toes. I know I did every time mum measured me.

Not to mention they stupidly did in socks which leaves ways to cheat the system with lifts inside them (yes that is a thing) or several pairs of thick socks which has been done before.

Until NBA does measurements themselves with team and without socks we won't really know how accurate reports are especially if any teams do not report down to 1/4 inch likeSixers. And we still domt rrally know. Teams and players didnt want this policy. Just a few at league office
RealShaneGray
Sophomore

Post#135 » by RealShaneGray » Sun Oct 6, 2019 12:54 am

21 TD wrote:
RealShaneGray wrote:Tobias Harris trainer was kind to him. 6'6 1/4" at combine after college now 6'7 1/2". Lol.

He entered the league at 19, so he could have easily grown since then and I remember hearing that he did a bunch of years ago.

Statistically it is very rate to grow after this age. Yes it happens but it is rare. I believe they listed him 6'9" even in first year.

Teams are measuring and reporting their own players so if he asked to try to get close enough to only drop to 6'8" it could easily be done.
BadWolf
General Manager
And1: 3,239

Post#136 » by BadWolf » Sun Oct 6, 2019 7:16 am

Height measurements just show how superior the metric system is.
Gooner
Head Coach
And1: 5,414

Post#137 » by Gooner » Sun Oct 6, 2019 10:30 am

RealShaneGray wrote:
21 TD wrote:

Statistically it is very rate to grow after this age. Yes it happens but it is rare. I believe they listed him 6'9" even in first year.

Teams are measuring and reporting their own players so if he asked to try to get close enough to only drop to 6'8" it could easily be done.

Every post of yours has been about downplaying everybody's height. Why are you so concerned about that?
Paija
Junior
And1: 305

Post#138 » by Paija » Sun Oct 6, 2019 11:20 am

RealShaneGray wrote:
Leobargs wrote:
NO-KG-AI wrote:
Dude, porzingis was 7’1.25 in socks and he’s massively taller than Durant. Durant is not over 7’ withoht some seriously lifted heels.

Porzingis just measured 7'4 barefoot

No he didnt. Lol. He allegedly measured 7'2 3/4" barefoot but I'm not buying it. He was 7'1 1/4" early morning at age 20. No nba rep there so teams can still manipulate the numbers.

Well, I do not know when average American stops to grow, but in Europe there is big distinction between south and north. Southern boys (Italy, Greece, Turkey) reach their height earlier and in e.g. U-16 groups there are many guys that are tall relative to others but stop grow after that. In Latvia it is considered normal for guys to grow in their 20s even at 25 they may grow some 0.5 cm.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#139 » by NuggetsWY » Sun Oct 6, 2019 11:28 am

BadWolf wrote:Height measurements just show how superior the metric system is.

:confused: :lol: Yeah, sure because measuring in metric ... uh, it's better because ... nah, forgot it about it. You can measure in any standard you want. Make it fingers & hands or call it dobops & sterids; it doesn't matter as long as the same rules are used and not ignored or made up. If someone is 5 dobops & 9 sterids tall and someone else is 5 dobops & 7 sterids tall, the second guy is shorter. Taller or shorter is the same in any measurement.
Simmons25
Analyst
And1: 2,235

Post#140 » by Simmons25 » Sun Oct 6, 2019 1:49 pm

MrGoat wrote:

Read on Twitter

Where's Ben Simmons?

Simmons is a legit 6" 9.5" so around 6" 11 in shoes.

Return to The General Board