Preseason games discussion thread 2019

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

How many times will the phrase "it's only preseason" be used in this thread on average?

Once every 10 pages or more
8%
Once every 8 pages
No votes
Once every 6 pages
1%
Once every 4 pages
4%
Once every 3 pages
7%
Once every 2 pages
17%
Once every page
16%
Twice every page
16%
Thrice or more every page
31%

Total votes: 153

Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,253

Re: Preseason games discussion thread 2019 

Post#1761 » by Catchall » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:57 am

Emanuel Mudiay looks like he's going to be a good pick-up for the Jazz. Playing in the Jazz's system and going up against back-up guards, it looks like he can drive to the rim time and time again.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Buzzard
RealGM
And1: 7,522

Post#1762 » by Buzzard » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:09 am

God Squad wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
Buzzard wrote:That was a good showing. No Huerter but Hawks got a win. Collins killing the glass even on a bad night and Trae with zero turn overs. Madison Square Garden is not for wall flowers. Hunter and Reddish accounted for themselves well.

Hawks winning with 36% FG against one of the worst team in the league is encouraging for you? Both teams looked incredibly bad.

Vince Cater looked good at least.

I don't think you looked at the game or know very much about the expectations of the Hawks youth. Instead you just read a box score. Bembry is a role player getting major time because Huerter is out and he was 2 of 14. Len coming off a injury and playing his first game this preseason of over 20 minutes was 0 for 7. That is a combined 2 of 21.

The positive:
Hunter played a heck of a game for a rookie. Cam looked like an all around NBA shooting guard for the first time this preseason ( also coming off core surgery this summer ). Trae Young had 23 points, 9 assist, and 0 turnovers. Collins had a bad shooting game but was a beast on the boards with 14. The bench: Jabari Parker chipped in with a very efficient 12 points on 5 of 10 shooting and Vince went new school ballistic hitting 5 of 10 three pointers.

Unless you think I should throw a role player and a center on the last year of his deal into the fire, I really do not have a lot to complain about for our youth/core tonight.
BAF Pacers: Unleash Trae!

PG Ice Trae
SG Buddy Hield/Luke Kennard/Brandin Podziemski
SF OG Anunoby/Terrence Ross/Kris Murray
PF Richaun Holmes/JaMychal Green/Chris Livingston
C KAT/Mark Williams
Frank Dux
Head Coach
And1: 9,249

Post#1763 » by Frank Dux » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:15 am

BoogieTime wrote:Russell looks bad in GS... will be a neutral asset by Christmas

While I was watching the game tonight I thought he was having a bad game, but then I see the box score and he has 23 points on 8/17 shooting. Besides the scoring though, he looked invisible out there.
hoosierdaddy34
Head Coach
And1: 5,726

Post#1764 » by hoosierdaddy34 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:16 am

GTR11 wrote:
lakerz12 wrote:
GTR11 wrote:Guy read it again. All I said your guards stink and we did beat up on them. I didn't mention anything else. You guys couldn't do much vs our 2d and 3d string guards.

Okay that's really not clear in your writing.

At one point you said "this LAL team".

I thought maybe "we beat up on them in China" was a conclusion referring to your whole paragraph.

Either way good luck dude.

Ain't no good luck from me because Lakers. Tired seeing all this Lakers fans around the world.

This guy needs sleep. He’s drunk.
hoosierdaddy34
Head Coach

Post#1765 » by hoosierdaddy34 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:31 am

TheNewEra wrote:
TheRealKaboom wrote:Almost feel nostalgic for the days when GB said LeBron was too old to play games anymore, Linda Rambis was destroying the Lakers, and Silver needed to take over management of the team.

Never change, GB. Never change.

The Warriors are a pretty depleted team so this game shouldn’t be surprising. All of their centers are hurt and Curry’s not playing. Don’t know why the league decided to do this but this Warriors team needs everyone playing.

Lakers preseason has been a mix they are abusing the Warriors but had a tough time with the Nets

Those China games don’t mean a thing.

1. They were being played in the middle of an international dispute. Players were just trying to stay safe.

2. AD played just 12 minutes in two games.

3. Vogel played some really weird lineups and substitutions. He experimented over there. Didn’t use the “starting lineup” for even one minute.

I’m sure the Nets did much of the same.

I don’t think either team took those games seriously at all so there isn’t much to take from them. If Nets fans really need those moral victories, feel free to pound your chest all you want but you look silly doing it.
GTR11
RealGM
And1: 2,847

Post#1766 » by GTR11 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:39 am

hoosierdaddy34 wrote:
GTR11 wrote:
lakerz12 wrote:
Okay that's really not clear in your writing.

At one point you said "this LAL team".

I thought maybe "we beat up on them in China" was a conclusion referring to your whole paragraph.

Either way good luck dude.

Ain't no good luck from me because Lakers. Tired seeing all this Lakers fans around the world.

This guy needs sleep. He’s drunk.

Than you should come drink some here in NYC. Lakers fans came out the closet. It's been good till it lasted.
GTR11
RealGM

Post#1767 » by GTR11 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:47 am

hoosierdaddy34 wrote:
TheNewEra wrote:
TheRealKaboom wrote:Almost feel nostalgic for the days when GB said LeBron was too old to play games anymore, Linda Rambis was destroying the Lakers, and Silver needed to take over management of the team.

Never change, GB. Never change.

The Warriors are a pretty depleted team so this game shouldn’t be surprising. All of their centers are hurt and Curry’s not playing. Don’t know why the league decided to do this but this Warriors team needs everyone playing.

Lakers preseason has been a mix they are abusing the Warriors but had a tough time with the Nets

1. They were being played in the middle of an international dispute. Players were just trying to stay safe.

3. Vogel played some really weird lineups and substitutions. He experimented over there. Didn’t use the “starting lineup” for even one minute.

I don’t think either team took those games seriously at all so there isn’t much to take from them. If Nets fans really need those moral victories, feel free to pound your chest all you want but you look silly doing it.

I can't wait for regular season to start. I get the fact we being hated for Kyrie and KD, but this disrespectful comments been unbiased. We did make playoffs last year despite all the talks. We do have a legit team that showed glimpses of what to come. Let's see how this season will go before anything.
hoosierdaddy34
Head Coach

Post#1768 » by hoosierdaddy34 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:51 am

GTR11 wrote:
hoosierdaddy34 wrote:
TheNewEra wrote:

I can't wait for regular season to start. I get the fact we being hated for Kyrie and KD, but this disrespectful comments been unbiased. We did make playoffs last year despite all the talks. We do have a legit team that showed glimpses of what to come. Let's see how this season will go before anything.

I didn’t make one single comment disrespecting the Nets team. Not sure where you are getting all that from.
GTR11
RealGM

Post#1769 » by GTR11 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:41 am

hoosierdaddy34 wrote:
GTR11 wrote:
hoosierdaddy34 wrote:

I didn’t make one single comment disrespecting the Nets team. Not sure where you are getting all that from.

I'm just posting my opinion in general. That's why I brought up last season. The fact most media and fans have us as lower seed is disrespectful to me. Am I salty about it? Not really. Being a long time Nets fans teach you being an under dog :wink: . All I care about is the fact players around the league know that we ain't no trash like others do. KD ain't my favourite player but the fact he spoke up for us making me exited for the future we can have. I have no doubt Kyrie is on the mission this year. As a Nets fan growing up he knows what it is to be Nets fan. That's why I'm exited more than anything.
evilpimp972
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,760

Post#1770 » by evilpimp972 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:42 am

Barnzy wrote:
mademan wrote:I know who theyre playing, but this starting lineup for LA is a problem. Lots of defense there, even with Lebron half-assing it. Defense, shooting, Lebron PnR with a big who can catch and finish is scary.

Bench is chit still

Their bench is fine

Rondo/Cook
KCP/Carsuo
Kuzma
Dudley
Dwight

Good mix. Add Iggy to that bench and I'd say it's one of the best.

Rondo shouldn't see the floor.
Tinseltown wrote:
True Story wrote:KD is the best player in the NBA.

Kevin Durant is a better scorer than Jordan

MJ was never this efficient
Indomitable
RealGM
And1: 5,412

Post#1771 » by Indomitable » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:06 am

Buzzard wrote:
GTR11 wrote:
Buzzard wrote:They lost one of their other talent evaluators in Travis Schlenk to the Hawks. West reportedly talked Travis into staying in the front office vs pursuing coaching. Pretty good advice if you ask me.

I would've left too. You guys have some good young talent. Won't be surprised if a trade for C will happen during trade deadline. Adams, Gasol, Ibaka etc C will be available and you guys have what it takes to make it happen. Crabbe contract that you guys got from us along with pick can go a long way imo. Shooters always got value around the league.
When others put you guys in a bottom 6 worst team I had a good laugh. YOUR division is the worst around the league and W can come much easier, also EC from 6-8 is wide open imo. Good luck.

Summer League and Pre Season have been horrible for the Hawks. The injuries started with Cam, Len, then Huerter and still have not ended. I can see why some think we are that bad; but I think they are off by a good margin. 8- 10 seed if everyone gets back healthy.

The contracts, Parsons 25.1 Million, Turner 18.6 Million, Crabbe 18.5 Million, Len 4.1 Million, all come off the books in 2020. The Hawks could help two teams start their rebuild and cost cutting if they wanted to.

A lot of teams are hurt but most of the players you mention are trash. Cam looked like trash in college, Len had one year where he did stink.
Huerter is a solid prospect.
:banghead:
TheGOATWill
Analyst
And1: 3,810

Post#1772 » by TheGOATWill » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:05 pm

GTR11 wrote:
lakerz12 wrote:
GTR11 wrote:They can't shoot. This LAL team will get challenged during regular season. Also their guards easy to go by, in loaded WC I'd like to see how they'll handle those guards. D.LO having a good night is no coincident. We beat up on them in China.

:lol:

You "beat up on them"?

Anthony Davis played 12 mins total in 2 games. Kuzma played 0.

It's preseason. Don't get too excited about your Nets over preseason. It's gonna be a huge netdown.

These are just meaningless exhibitions. You can see that certain players look good, but you can't draw conclusions about team success.

Guy read it again. All I said your guards stink and we did beat up on them. I didn't mention anything else. You guys couldn't do much vs our 2d and 3d string guards.

I’ll concede your guards are a tough cover. But come on. You didn’t find it strange that Lebron didn’t try to bully Chandler or Kurucs to the basket even once. AD never took Prince into the post. Never put Jordan in the P/R. Its preseason. Don’t get too high. Don’t get too low.
homecourtloss
RealGM
And1: 17,687

Post#1773 » by homecourtloss » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:06 pm

GTR11 wrote:
lakerz12 wrote:
GTR11 wrote:They can't shoot. This LAL team will get challenged during regular season. Also their guards easy to go by, in loaded WC I'd like to see how they'll handle those guards. D.LO having a good night is no coincident. We beat up on them in China.

:lol:

You "beat up on them"?

Anthony Davis played 12 mins total in 2 games. Kuzma played 0.

It's preseason. Don't get too excited about your Nets over preseason. It's gonna be a huge netdown.

These are just meaningless exhibitions. You can see that certain players look good, but you can't draw conclusions about team success.

Guy read it again. All I said your guards stink and we did beat up on them. I didn't mention anything else. You guys couldn't do much vs our 2d and 3d string guards.

Biggest difference was that Rondo WAS playing and he’s literally one of the worst players in the NBA. Can’t shoot, can’t defender, slows the offense down. In this preason, Lebron + AD+ green and no Rondo has done extraordinarily well. This was last year. There was a reason Rondo was a bottom of the barrel, PIPM, RPM, RAPM, etc., player

Lebron ON court, Rondo OFF

1,336 minutes, 2,835 possessions
Lakers’ ORtg: 113.2 (equivalent to 5th best offense)
Lakers’ DRtg: 107.5 (equivalent to 5th best defense)
NET: +5.8 (equivalent to 4th best rating)

LeBron and Rondo ON court

602 minutes, 1271 possessions
Lakers’ ORtg: 105.5 ORtg
Lakers’ DRtg: 110.9 DRtg
NET: (-5.4, equivalent to 5th worst rating)

Rondo ON court, LeBron OFF

766 minutes, 1,620 possessions
Lakers’ ORtg: 106.0 (equivalent to 27th best offense)
Lakers’ DRtg: 117.3 (equivalent to 29th best defense)
NET: -11.3 (equivalent to worst net rating)

—Rondo+ Zubac, +6.1
—Rondo + anyone else a negative https://stats.nba.com/team/1610612747/lineups-advanced/?Season=2018-19&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&GroupQuantity=2&sort=GROUP_NAME&dir=-1
lessthanjake wrote:Kyrie was extremely impactful without LeBron, and basically had zero impact whatsoever if LeBron was on the court.

lessthanjake wrote: By playing in a way that prevents Kyrie from getting much impact, LeBron ensures that controlling for Kyrie has limited effect…
iamworthy
RealGM
And1: 8,909

Post#1774 » by iamworthy » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:28 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21
JellosJigglin
RealGM
And1: 9,400

Post#1775 » by JellosJigglin » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:31 pm

iamworthy wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

Preseason is the perfect time to break out that move. Flawless execution.
RIP BASKETBALL REASONS (DEC 8TH 2011 - OCT 11TH 2020)
JellosJigglin
RealGM

Post#1776 » by JellosJigglin » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:19 pm

Been a long time since I've seen that many Lakers hit from 3. Cook has the potential to become a valuable player next to Lebron and AD. I liked that signing right away. He can play the Fisher/Kerr role and make teams pay for doubling the stars.
JellosJigglin
RealGM

Post#1777 » by JellosJigglin » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:23 pm

Read on Twitter
Edrees
RealGM
And1: 11,144

Post#1778 » by Edrees » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:07 pm

JellosJigglin wrote:
iamworthy wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

Preseason is the perfect time to break out that move. Flawless execution.

I was thinking the same thing at first, but then I realized Draymond wouldn't fall for that in a playoff game, I think it worked because it was pre season
TheGOATWill
Analyst
And1: 3,810

Post#1779 » by TheGOATWill » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:20 pm

JellosJigglin wrote:
Read on Twitter

Of course he did. Who would recognize that play better than him.
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#1780 » by KqWIN » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:04 pm

The best way to defend the LBJ+AD pick and roll is to do drop coverage against it. They can either take a mid range shot (which both guys can still make) or get into a crowded lane with McGee's man also in support. Trapping LeBron in that situation just isn't going to work.

Return to The General Board