Rockets owner: Daryl Morey does NOT speak for the Rockets

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Are you okay with a GM making political comments?

Yes, they should take advantage of the NBA platform.
41%
No, they represent an organization and should stick to their job.
21%
It's muddy. I can understand how both sides can be right.
38%

Total votes: 117

OkcSinceSGA
RealGM
And1: 29,598

Rockets owner: Daryl Morey does NOT speak for the Rockets 

Post#1 » by OkcSinceSGA » Sat Oct 5, 2019 4:58 am

Read on Twitter

Wow. So Daryl Morey in a now deleted tweet simply posted "Fight for freedom and stand with Hong Kong" and gets blasted by the owner publicly. Morey now deleted this tweet. Sure, politics may be best avoided but Morey didn't say anything all that controversial TBH.
“This kid reminds me of a 6-6 Chris Paul. He wants to win everything.”

Olin Simplis- SGA’s trainer.
GeorgeMarcus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,049

Re: Rockets owner: Daryl Morey does NOT speak for the Rockets 

Post#2 » by GeorgeMarcus » Sat Oct 5, 2019 5:00 am

I agree with his stance but it's not worth it for the NBA to get involved in Chinese politics
The Legend of George Marcus

"Where I'm from, bullies get bullied." - Zach Randolph
iamworthy
RealGM
And1: 8,909

Post#3 » by iamworthy » Sat Oct 5, 2019 5:02 am

Agree
andyhop
Analyst
And1: 1,280

Post#4 » by andyhop » Sat Oct 5, 2019 5:02 am

ClipsFanSince98 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Wow. So Daryl Morey in a now deleted tweet simply posted "Fight for freedom and stand with Hong Kong" and gets blasted by the owner publicly. Morey now deleted this tweet. Sure, politics may be best avoided but Morey didn't say anything all that controversial TBH. Rockets are essentially Asia's NBA team along with the Lakers and I'm sure the fans appreciated a US organization speaking up.

The Rockets have spent a lot of time and effort trying to become a meaningful entity in China , not surprising that ownership doesn't want to risk that
"Football is not a matter of life and death...it's much more important than that."- Bill Shankley
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM

Post#5 » by OkcSinceSGA » Sat Oct 5, 2019 5:04 am

andyhop wrote:
ClipsFanSince98 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Wow. So Daryl Morey in a now deleted tweet simply posted "Fight for freedom and stand with Hong Kong" and gets blasted by the owner publicly. Morey now deleted this tweet. Sure, politics may be best avoided but Morey didn't say anything all that controversial TBH. Rockets are essentially Asia's NBA team along with the Lakers and I'm sure the fans appreciated a US organization speaking up.

The Rockets have spent a lot of time and effort trying to become a meaningful entity in China , not surprising that ownership doesn't want to risk that
I also didn't give much thought to that part of my post. Obviously the pro government Chinese could potentially boycott the Rockets and seem enraged. So I get business wise the harm, but I also believe our obligation to mankind is more important. Meh. That being said I stand with Hong Kong too :)

thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,706

Post#6 » by thelead » Sat Oct 5, 2019 5:10 am

All that matters to those in power is money unfortunately
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,518

Post#7 » by dhsilv2 » Sat Oct 5, 2019 5:10 am

ClipsFanSince98 wrote:
andyhop wrote:
ClipsFanSince98 wrote:
Read on Twitter

I also didn't give much thought to that part of my post. Obviously the pro government Chinese could potentially boycott the Rockets and seem enraged. So I get business wise the harm, but I also believe our obligation to mankind is more important. Meh. That being said I stand with Hong Kong too :)

I don't see how his words do ANYTHING at all to help. No reason to lose money when you're not adding any value either.
CptCrunch
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,364

Post#8 » by CptCrunch » Sat Oct 5, 2019 5:11 am

Morey just got himself in titanic troubles. There will be pressure to axe Morey. Rockets is the most Chinese oriented team in the league with close ties to Chinese basketball. Fetitta is retail billionaire and fully understands that it's not wise to take any stance on politics.

Morey is going to 99% come out with a forced apology. Or else he is going to get fired. There is no other way to resolve this issue.

And why do Americans feel the need to meddle in the affairs of foreign countries?

How will you feel if China started funding Black Lives Matter? The Klan? Southern Separatist/Nationalist movements?
Pablo Escobar
Head Coach
And1: 4,375

Post#9 » by Pablo Escobar » Sat Oct 5, 2019 5:14 am

China is putting Uighurs through another holocaust. Nba shouldn't be aligned with such entities.
Plata o Plomo?
MoochieNorris
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,443

Post#10 » by MoochieNorris » Sat Oct 5, 2019 5:20 am

rockets are one of the most popular, if not most popular nba teams in china.

morey should've known better
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM

Post#11 » by OkcSinceSGA » Sat Oct 5, 2019 5:23 am

dhsilv2 wrote:
ClipsFanSince98 wrote:
andyhop wrote:

I don't see how his words do ANYTHING at all to help. No reason to lose money when you're not adding any value either.
Well it's not definitive one way or another. Bringing even more attention to a crises is never a bad thing. Our government is already putting the screws to the situation, but getting more of the world involved potentially could add pressure. China is trying to recreate 1984 in their own country.

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using RealGM mobile app

dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,679

Post#12 » by dockingsched » Sat Oct 5, 2019 5:25 am

Is that really the Rockets owner? Seems like such an amateurish unprofessional way to get his point across.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
GeorgeMarcus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by GeorgeMarcus » Sat Oct 5, 2019 5:26 am

dockingsched wrote:Is that really the Rockets owner? Seems like such an amateurish unprofessional way to get his point across.

Fertitta is a schmuck

thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,706

Post#14 » by thelead » Sat Oct 5, 2019 5:28 am

paulbball wrote:Morey just got himself in titanic troubles. There will be pressure to axe Morey. Rockets is the most Chinese oriented team in the league with close ties to Chinese basketball. Fetitta is retail billionaire and fully understands that it's not wise to take any stance on politics.

Morey is going to 99% come out with a forced apology. Or else he is going to get fired. There is no other way to resolve this issue.

And why do Americans feel the need to meddle in the affairs of foreign countries?

How will you feel if China started funding Black Lives Matter? The Klan? Southern Separatist/Nationalist movements?

Morey isn't funding anything. He gave his opinion. Which affects NOTHING in reality... other than the pockets of those that already have billions.
MemphisX
Analyst
And1: 3,579

Post#15 » by MemphisX » Sat Oct 5, 2019 5:31 am

GeorgeMarcus wrote:I agree with his stance but it's not worth it for the NBA to get involved in Chinese politics

This is how atrocities happen.
Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM

Post#16 » by OkcSinceSGA » Sat Oct 5, 2019 5:33 am

MemphisX wrote:
GeorgeMarcus wrote:I agree with his stance but it's not worth it for the NBA to get involved in Chinese politics

Yep. Honestly if Morey got fired for this it would be one hell of an honorable hill to die on. He earns massive points in my book as a human being and politically I don't even align with the guy (He's a far left Lib, I'm a centrist conservative). My guess is only dictators and supporters of the Chinese government condone what's happening.

CptCrunch
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,364

Post#17 » by CptCrunch » Sat Oct 5, 2019 5:33 am

thelead wrote:
paulbball wrote:Morey just got himself in titanic troubles. There will be pressure to axe Morey. Rockets is the most Chinese oriented team in the league with close ties to Chinese basketball. Fetitta is retail billionaire and fully understands that it's not wise to take any stance on politics.

Morey isn't funding anything. He gave his opinion. Which affects NOTHING in reality... other than the pockets of those that already have billions.

You are missing the point. A sizable portion of the American left would like to stand with the separatist in Hong Kong by offering them public financial support. Morey echoed those sentiments, which is wholly inappropriate for any public sports organization to espouse unless they are willing to completely abandon the Chinese market.

Literal direct intervention in the politics and internal workings of a sovereign foreign country. It is literally a **** insane train of thought.
CIN-C-STAR
Head Coach
And1: 16,350

Post#18 » by CIN-C-STAR » Sat Oct 5, 2019 5:36 am

It's sad that we put money ahead of human rights and basic freedom.
I stand w Hong Kong, too, for what it's worth. Shame on Fritata.
"I'd rather have Kevin Love spacing out to the three point line than anything (Karl) Malone brings"
:lol: :lol: :lol:
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM

Post#19 » by OkcSinceSGA » Sat Oct 5, 2019 5:40 am

paulbball wrote:
thelead wrote:

You are missing the point. A sizable portion of the American left would like to stand with the separatist in Hong Kong by offering them public financial support. Morey echoed those sentiments, which is wholly inappropriate for any public sports organization to espouse unless they are willing to completely abandon the Chinese market.

Literal direct intervention in the politics and internal workings of a sovereign foreign country. It is literally a **** insane train of thought.
It's not just the left. Conservatives are behind the people of Hong Kong right now as well (in fact it's conservatives leading the war on China currently economically after years of them taking advantage of America).

It's any decent country with Democratic values that is behind them. We understand that running your country like a dictatorship in certain aspects, trying to recreate 1984 with social credit systems being installed, police beating unarmed people, lack of basic freedoms , controlling who can and can't have kids etc is inhumane and a regression for the entire world.

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using RealGM mobile app

GeorgeMarcus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by GeorgeMarcus » Sat Oct 5, 2019 5:40 am

MemphisX wrote:

We're talking about the NBA, not the US military. If they choose to do something they can kill this whole preseason arrangement with China out of protest, but outside of that... :dontknow:

Return to The General Board