Is the Celtics bench as weak as it looks on paper?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Trey24
Sixth Man
And1: 2,013

Is the Celtics bench as weak as it looks on paper? 

Post#1 » by Trey24 » Sat Oct 5, 2019 2:25 pm

I have been playing 2k20, which I know is not the greatest barometer in the world, but I have noticed that the Celtics bench has virtually no depth, particularly offensively. Where will their bench scoring come from? It has to be concerning for Celtics fans, which I am not one (although I am a Kemba fan so I will be following the Celtics closer than I ever have).

Thoughts?
gabri3l3
Junior
And1: 468

Re: Is the Celtics bench as weak as it looks on paper? 

Post#2 » by gabri3l3 » Sat Oct 5, 2019 2:33 pm

Yeah it's terrible no shot creators whatsoever or rim protection pretending they will be starting Robert Williams and using Kanter as a sixth man. A lot of inexperienced guys too . A lot will fall on how Romeo Langford develops but you cant expect too much from a first year guy.

They will be probably better and more balanced bringing Hayward off the bench and starting Smart.
So Kemba - Smart - Brown - Tatum - Williams I think is their best guess.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,568
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#3 » by LloydFree » Sat Oct 5, 2019 3:08 pm

I don't think their bench is weak at all. I think their projected starting lineup is weak. Starting 3 Small Forwards and either Enes Kanter or Robert Williams at Center is a recipe for disaster, just waiting to happen. Playing a 5'11 Shooting Guard at PG, with no other facilitator on the floor, and playing Jason Tatum at Power forward, is going to be a bigger problem than anyone is talking about.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,874

Post#4 » by Curmudgeon » Sat Oct 5, 2019 3:13 pm

Well, the Celtics go 7 deep with tested NBA players: Kanter, Hayward, Brown, Tatum, Smart, Walker and Theis. After that they have an excellent defender who hasn't been able to score (Ojeleye), an athletic young center who can block shots but hasn't done much else (Robert Williams), a journeyman veteran guard (Wanamaker) an untested French center (Poirier) and a bunch of rookie question marks (Grant Williams, Carsten Edwards, Romeo Langford, Tacko Fall, Tremont Waters, Javonte Green).

The two leading candidates to provide additional bench scoring are Grant Williams and Carsten Edwards. At least one of those guys will have to step up, unless Ojeleye has discovered his 3 point shot. I don't see Langford contributing until next year. He missed all of Summer league because of his thumb and now he has a groin problem.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
CelticsLV
Head Coach
And1: 6,662

Post#5 » by CelticsLV » Sat Oct 5, 2019 3:43 pm

LloydFree wrote:I don't think their bench is weak at all. I think their projected starting lineup is weak. Starting 3 Small Forwards and either Enes Kanter or Robert Williams at Center is a recipe for disaster, just waiting to happen. Playing a 5'11 Shooting Guard at PG, with no other facilitator on the floor, and playing Jason Tatum at Power forward, is going to be a bigger problem than anyone is talking about.

Have you heard about that guy Hayward?
jabron47
Ballboy
And1: 5

Post#6 » by jabron47 » Sat Oct 5, 2019 3:50 pm

The bench isn't as bad as it might seem. Depending on who starts, either Marcus Smart or Gordon Hayward will lead the second unit. Let's assume its smart off the bench. The bench lineup would then look like:

PG: Smart
SG: Edwards
SF: Ojeleye/Langford
PF: Theis/Williams
C: Williams/Porier

That's not bad whatsoever. Obviously Brad won't just put the entire bench in at once. Probably will have 2 starters on the floor at all times. I think a lot of the bench's success relies on Carsen Edwards. If he shows that he can score against NBA level defenses, then the bench is not a weakness.
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,022

Post#7 » by Darth Celtic » Sat Oct 5, 2019 3:53 pm

**** games need to start soon. If I see one more thread about observations on the Celtics teams because of NBA2k franchise mode I'm going to bash my head in on the computer.
MrDollarBills = MrWelchesBets
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,022

Post#8 » by Darth Celtic » Sat Oct 5, 2019 3:54 pm

I mean, I'm waiting on a new thread "I was playing 2k the other day and I'm still worried because Embiid still gets tired too fast and I have to take him out" " I wonder if all the conditioning all off season had an impact or not."
MrDollarBills = MrWelchesBets
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 56,592

Post#9 » by bisme37 » Sat Oct 5, 2019 4:08 pm

We gots a bunch of rookies and foreign gentleman on our bench this year. I don't see the bench as weak, but there are certainly some guys most people haven't heard of yet.

Of the rookies Carsen Edwards (walking bucket) and Grant Williams (already seems like a vet) absolutely look ready to play right away. And then we have veteran French center Vincent Poirier to help with the big rotation and I think he'll be really good. I'm assuming Kanter will start and then R Williams, Theis, Poirier will be part of the bigs rotation, with Fall in the mix as well.

I'd say our depth is about average. Part of the problem last year was there were too many guys who needed touches and no one ever got in a rhythm. Losing Morris and Rozier should help clear things up for Kemba, Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart etc. And the team played really lazy last season so I think the injection of youth is by design. There's been a terrific energy in camp and I think it will be a really fun Celtics season.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Post#10 » by Sixerscan » Sat Oct 5, 2019 4:12 pm

Eh it's not awful. Feel like most of the teams with strong benches are fudging it a bit by not starting their best 5 guys. So yeah if they bring Hayward off the bench the bench looks better but it's the same damn guys playing the game either way.
LakersSoul
Head Coach
And1: 4,486

Post#11 » by LakersSoul » Sat Oct 5, 2019 4:13 pm

jabron47 wrote:The bench isn't as bad as it might seem. Depending on who starts, either Marcus Smart or Gordon Hayward will lead the second unit. Let's assume its smart off the bench. The bench lineup would then look like:

That's not bad whatsoever. Obviously Brad won't just put the entire bench in at once. Probably will have 2 starters on the floor at all times. I think a lot of the bench's success relies on Carsen Edwards. If he shows that he can score against NBA level defenses, then the bench is not a weakness.

No. That’s poor bench depth. Unless Tatum & Brown make a huge jump, they will struggle breaking into top of the east. 4-6 spot looks right about now.

"Westy, LeBron + AD to rule the West.
Return of the King, the Lakers."
HoopsterJones
RealGM
And1: 13,376

Post#12 » by HoopsterJones » Sat Oct 5, 2019 4:22 pm

Some question marks about the bench depth after the top 7 players in the rotation.
2023-2024 Bulls Prediction:

Regular Season: 40-42
0 All Stars:
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,836

Post#13 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Sat Oct 5, 2019 5:58 pm

This guy is all we need.

manlisten
Junior
And1: 311

Post#14 » by manlisten » Sat Oct 5, 2019 6:14 pm

I like Edwards and don't think he should've went as late as he did, but there's a reason he went as late as he did.

Sent from my Pixel XL using RealGM mobile app
jpengland
Head Coach
And1: 6,566

Post#15 » by jpengland » Sat Oct 5, 2019 6:31 pm

jabron47 wrote:The bench isn't as bad as it might seem. Depending on who starts, either Marcus Smart or Gordon Hayward will lead the second unit. Let's assume its smart off the bench. The bench lineup would then look like:

Its not bad but hinges on a rookie 5'10 shooting guard drafted at 33?

Ok.
DarkAzcura
General Manager
And1: 7,150

Post#16 » by DarkAzcura » Sat Oct 5, 2019 6:41 pm

They had too many players who needed the ball last season, and now we think they have too little? I’m fine with there being no scorers off the bench. Kemba, Brown, Hayward, and Tatum need as many touches as they can get. And to a lesser extent, Kanter. All offensive minded players who will get plenty of minutes with the bench to balance it out.

It’s not like the bench operates 100% on its own separate from the starters.
MagicBagley18
RealGM
And1: 20,332

Post#17 » by MagicBagley18 » Sat Oct 5, 2019 7:08 pm

It’s def not deep...but Stevens will stagger lineups always having Hayward kemba as primary ball handlers and scorers and Tatum on the court as well. He’ll get it work during the season.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Post#18 » by Sixerscan » Sat Oct 5, 2019 7:12 pm

jpengland wrote:

Its not bad but hinges on a rookie 5'10 shooting guard drafted at 33?

Ok.

Especially when your best player is a 5'11" guard?
Crives
General Manager
And1: 7,055

Post#19 » by Crives » Sat Oct 5, 2019 7:16 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Tiny ball
Veteran
And1: 840

Post#20 » by Tiny ball » Sat Oct 5, 2019 7:20 pm

bisme37 wrote:We gots a bunch of rookies and foreign gentleman on our bench this year. I don't see the bench as weak, but there are certainly some guys most people haven't heard of yet.

Of the rookies Carsen Edwards (walking bucket) and Grant Williams (already seems like a vet) absolutely look ready to play right away. And then we have veteran French center Vincent Poirier to help with the big rotation and I think he'll be really good. I'm assuming Kanter will start and then R Williams, Theis, Poirier will be part of the bigs rotation, with Fall in the mix as well.

I'd say our depth is about average. Part of the problem last year was there were too many guys who needed touches and no one ever got in a rhythm. Losing Morris and Rozier should help clear things up for Kemba, Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart etc. And the team played really lazy last season so I think the injection of youth is by design. There's been a terrific energy in camp and I think it will be a really fun Celtics season.
I don't think we need smart shooting more.

Return to The General Board