Is the Celtics bench as weak as it looks on paper?

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

Scalabrine
RealGM
And1: 7,380

Re: Is the Celtics bench as weak as it looks on paper? 

Post#81 » by Scalabrine » Tue Oct 8, 2019 2:33 pm

jabron47 wrote:The bench isn't as bad as it might seem. Depending on who starts, either Marcus Smart or Gordon Hayward will lead the second unit. Let's assume its smart off the bench. The bench lineup would then look like:

PG: Smart
SG: Edwards
SF: Ojeleye/Langford
PF: Theis/Williams
C: Williams/Porier

That's not bad whatsoever. Obviously Brad won't just put the entire bench in at once. Probably will have 2 starters on the floor at all times. I think a lot of the bench's success relies on Carsen Edwards. If he shows that he can score against NBA level defenses, then the bench is not a weakness.

Wait, thats not bad?!

Then the Knicks might actually be good!

Knicks projected bench:
Gibson
Portis
Knox/Dotson
Ellington/Trier
Payton/Ntilikina

Rejoice.
Go Knicks!
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,840

Post#82 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:08 am

CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:This guy is all we need.

8-)
Ill News
General Manager
And1: 16,306

Post#83 » by Ill News » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:23 am

Carsen Edwards just blew up for 8 threes in a 5-minute span against Cleveland today, for 26 points in the quarter and 30 overall. Holy moley. Looks like we finally got a second-round steal!

I think people are underestimating the Celtics bench because of all the young guys we have, and they might be right. But this rookie core of Edwards, Grant Williams, Tremont Waters, and Tacko Fall have been blowing out other teams' second units since summer league. They just beat the Cavs by double digits today without the help of our regular starters.

I'm not saying our bench will set the league on fire, but they'll be pesky to deal with at the least. That bench is filled with gritty, hustle-first players with the BBIQ to match, the type of players that Brad loves to coach. I mean, Waters and Williams are playing like veterans out there, and Edwards looks like the second coming of Eddie House.
76ersForLife
Junior
And1: 371

Post#84 » by 76ersForLife » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:24 am

Their backcourt and wings are fine. The frontcourt is terrible. Why did they get rid of Baynes? Was it a salary cap move?

Ainge will probably make a move at the deadline for a decent big though.
ajones9219
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,637

Post#85 » by ajones9219 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:24 am

No

/thread
LewisnotMiller
Analyst
And1: 3,240

Post#86 » by LewisnotMiller » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:07 am

I'm not too worried about the bench. I'm worried about not having a clear starting quality big. But one thing that's interesting to me is that some people (eg. C's fans) are rating the Celtics more optimistically, and some people are being more pessimistic. But mostly ALL people seem to have them pegged as either a first round or second round exit in the playoffs.

I mean, I'm sure there are some exceptions, but overall there seems some commonality in where we see them finishing, even if the words we use to describe the team are quite different...
LewisnotMiller
Analyst
And1: 3,240

Post#87 » by LewisnotMiller » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:08 am

Scalabrine wrote:
jabron47 wrote:The bench isn't as bad as it might seem. Depending on who starts, either Marcus Smart or Gordon Hayward will lead the second unit. Let's assume its smart off the bench. The bench lineup would then look like:

PG: Smart
SG: Edwards
SF: Ojeleye/Langford
PF: Theis/Williams
C: Williams/Porier

That's not bad whatsoever. Obviously Brad won't just put the entire bench in at once. Probably will have 2 starters on the floor at all times. I think a lot of the bench's success relies on Carsen Edwards. If he shows that he can score against NBA level defenses, then the bench is not a weakness.

Wait, thats not bad?!

Then the Knicks might actually be good!

Knicks projected bench:
Gibson
Portis
Knox/Dotson
Ellington/Trier
Payton/Ntilikina

Rejoice.

In a sense, the Knicks do have pretty good depth.
I think it's more their top end talent, plus fit that is going to be problematic. And James Dolan. He's still around.
*shudders*
jehosafats
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,864

Post#88 » by jehosafats » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:00 am

Edwards plays like Lillard on caffeine shots
FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,909

Post#89 » by FlatearthZorro » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:01 pm

Prokorov wrote:
FlatearthZorro wrote:
Rockice_24 wrote:I got BOS below INDY, BK, and TOR (obviously the top 2 as well). They likely will have issues with protecting the paint and depth. They'll make the playoffs but as a 6-7 and will probably be knocked out by PHI/BK/INDY/TOR whoever ends up in that 3-4 seed spot.

I'd love playing BKN in the first round of the playoffs. It's actually a dream scenario.

of course because it would mean you actually made the playoffs. which is on the fringe right now at best

Speaking of fringe playoff teams. :P
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
robbie84
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,409

Post#90 » by robbie84 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:05 pm

FlatearthZorro wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
FlatearthZorro wrote:
I'd love playing BKN in the first round of the playoffs. It's actually a dream scenario.

of course because it would mean you actually made the playoffs. which is on the fringe right now at best

Lol ...I like Prokorov, but his hot takes pre season are even more hilarious now.
He just REALLY hates the Celtics.
Soon enough he'll hate Kyrie just as much as we do.
One day Marcus Smart will be defensive player of the year, mark my words.
AussieCeltic
RealGM
And1: 21,178

Post#91 » by AussieCeltic » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:09 pm

I love when old threads get brought back into existence.

There is nothing bad about having a wrong opinion, but when you just say stuff to try troll or s*** on a team all the time like our good friend Prokorov, you really bring no value to this board.
eyeatoma wrote:IMO the bigger issue is that Denver and the Jazz are allowed to host games at a high altitute, when they have literally had news exposes saying how it's a clear competetive advantage to play there.
Zombiesonics
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,213

Post#92 » by Zombiesonics » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:16 pm

I love watching the celtics and am a big fan of many of the players... but realgm celt fans gotta chill with the constant thread bumps from months ago. Its confusing and does nothing to create discussion other than school yard "i told you so" ish. The Team is good dont jinx it
FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,909

Post#93 » by FlatearthZorro » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:22 pm

Zombiesonics wrote:I love watching the celtics and am a big fan of many of the players... but realgm celt fans gotta chill with the constant thread bumps from months ago. Its confusing and does nothing to create discussion other than school yard "i told you so" ish. The Team is good dont jinx it

Honestly, I'll admit I'm petty here, cause I knew what will happen when Durant ain't playing and Irving is the main guy. I already saw it on a MUCH better team, cause we are a MUCH better team without Durant on the Nets, so I bookmarked it and was gonna bump it. This was all planned, I just couldn't resist... :cry: Oh and we're already jinxed, lad. Our top 7 guys have missed a combined of over 60 games so far, closing in on 70. So we aren't doing too hot when it comes to health.
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#94 » by Prokorov » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:47 pm

robbie84 wrote:
FlatearthZorro wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

Lol ...I like Prokorov, but his hot takes pre season are even more hilarious now.
He just REALLY hates the Celtics.
Soon enough he'll hate Kyrie just as much as we do.

nah, kyrie is my 2nd favorite player all time after buck williams
Slax
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,729

Post#95 » by Slax » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:52 pm

AussieCeltic wrote:I love when old threads get brought back into existence.

There is nothing bad about having a wrong opinion, but when you just say stuff to try troll or s*** on a team all the time like our good friend Prokorov, you really bring no value to this board.

Comedy is value
ajones9219
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,637

Post#96 » by ajones9219 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:59 am

rip prok

Return to The General Board