Harden: We Apologize, We Love China

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Re: Harden: We Apologize, We Love China 

Post#281 » by Mylie10 » Wed Oct 9, 2019 5:24 pm

paulbball wrote:People who actually actually visited China have seen the true China, not the image of China painted by Western media consumed by all the keyboard warriors. That is the distinction between Harden and some of you all.

No one...I mean no one.....has ever had a problem with the Chinese people. The problems all stem from the Government.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
TimRobbins
General Manager
And1: 2,242

Post#282 » by TimRobbins » Wed Oct 9, 2019 5:26 pm

Clay Davis wrote:
TimRobbins wrote:I don't like the fact that people get way too involved in foreign politics. Every country in the world has their own system. Hong Kong is part of China and the Chinese have their own system of government. If somebody doesn't like it they can always move somewhere else. I understand getting involved if there's a genocide or massive enslavement going on. Anything that falls short of that is none of your business. If somebody doesn't like the system in their country they can always move to someplace they like. It a global world.
1. There is a genocide going on
2. Two systems 1 country
3. I have the right to have an opinion. Cry more plz

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using RealGM mobile app

1. Genocide? I don't think you know what that word means. Using it in the HK context demeans the millions who have been lost to genocides in human history.

2. That is a decision that's up to the Chinese. It has nothing to do with Canada or anybody who lives in Canada.

3. WTF?
TimRobbins
General Manager
And1: 2,242

Post#283 » by TimRobbins » Wed Oct 9, 2019 5:29 pm

oaktownwarriors87 wrote:
TimRobbins wrote:
oaktownwarriors87 wrote:China: Don't like China? LEAVE!

Also China: Don't like China? EXIT BAN!

There's no exit ban in China and there's definitely no exit ban on anybody living in Hong Kong. This is an internal matter.

Actually, there are. It's well reported. They're doing it Chinese citizens and visitors.

https://www.lawfareblog.com/no-exit-chinas-growing-use-exit-bans-violates-international-law

https://foreignpolicy.com/2019/07/23/chinas-dissidents-cant-leave/

Your whole "if you don't like the country then leave" plan is total bull ****.

That's a very small minority and people who have crossed the authorities in one way or another. Tens of millions of Chinese have emigrated. There is no exit ban.
seewhy
Sophomore
And1: 62

Post#284 » by seewhy » Wed Oct 9, 2019 5:40 pm

Mylie10 wrote:
paulbball wrote:People who actually actually visited China have seen the true China, not the image of China painted by Western media consumed by all the keyboard warriors. That is the distinction between Harden and some of you all.

No one...I mean no one.....has ever had a problem with the Chinese people. The problems all stem from the Government.

And why do you care about their government? The Chinese government don't force their rule on you, only on the Chinese people. But the Chinese love and support their government, and that's why they all stand together on this HK issue. That's what matters no? How the Chinese people feel and not some keyboard warriors with zero stake in the whole thing?
seewhy
Sophomore

Post#285 » by seewhy » Wed Oct 9, 2019 5:45 pm

Clay Davis wrote:
TimRobbins wrote:I don't like the fact that people get way too involved in foreign politics. Every country in the world has their own system. Hong Kong is part of China and the Chinese have their own system of government. If somebody doesn't like it they can always move somewhere else. I understand getting involved if there's a genocide or massive enslavement going on. Anything that falls short of that is none of your business. If somebody doesn't like the system in their country they can always move to someplace they like. It a global world.
2. Two systems 1 country

yeah so do the 1.4 billion Chinese (right to have an opinion). So go cry when the Chinese feel like rejecting a company trying to sell to them without understanding and respecting their opinion.
AZNKidd
Sophomore
And1: 89

Post#286 » by AZNKidd » Wed Oct 9, 2019 6:03 pm

seewhy wrote:
Clay Davis wrote:
2. Two systems 1 country

yeah so do the 1.4 billion Chinese (right to have an opinion). So go cry when the Chinese feel like rejecting a company trying to sell to them without understanding and respecting their opinion.

The Chinese don’t have a right to [dissenting] opinion, which is part of the root of this whole debacle. Their “opinion” is a product of the communist propaganda machine conditioning them to believe that any dissenting opinion as a separatist movement. And any dissenting opinion by a Chinese national on Chinese soil (look up xi jinping and Winnie the Pooh) is guaranteed to be censured and wiped clean from the internet.

Also, Chinese people are also very materialistic and they’ll never reject the nba. For example during the whole Huawei debacle, people were posting patriotic message supporting huawei and rejecting any American brands. The funny thing screenshots of these patriotic messages showed that they were posted using IPhones. China is like the ultimate politically correct country—citizens are either coerced and brainwashed to say the “politically correct” thing, which is to pay tribute to anything CCP. But at the end of the day, they never truly boycott foreign brands because of this patriotism, and this is tried and true in many instances ranging from iPhones to LV/Prada to Japanese car brands.
Darknemo2000
Veteran
And1: 1,685

Post#287 » by Darknemo2000 » Wed Oct 9, 2019 6:03 pm

seewhy wrote:
But the Chinese love and support their government, and that's why they all stand together on this HK issue.

Indeed. Just like North Koreans love Kim Jong Un. Or germans loved Hitler. You do know that propaganda can make you love anyone. I am not saying you are wrong, mind you, just that you shouldnt bring in love for legitimacy discussion because of how propaganda work these day.
oaktownwarriors87
RealGM
And1: 4,354

Post#288 » by oaktownwarriors87 » Wed Oct 9, 2019 6:08 pm

TimRobbins wrote:
oaktownwarriors87 wrote:
TimRobbins wrote:
There's no exit ban in China and there's definitely no exit ban on anybody living in Hong Kong. This is an internal matter.

Actually, there are. It's well reported. They're doing it Chinese citizens and visitors.

https://www.lawfareblog.com/no-exit-chinas-growing-use-exit-bans-violates-international-law

https://foreignpolicy.com/2019/07/23/chinas-dissidents-cant-leave/

Your whole "if you don't like the country then leave" plan is total bull ****.

That's a very small minority and people who have crossed the authorities in one way or another. Tens of millions of Chinese have emigrated. There is no exit ban.

You just proved my point. "Dissidents" aren't allowed to leave and exit bans do exist.

"Like it or leave it" doesn't apply when you kill and imprison your political rivals, intimidate citizens into obedience and then ban dissidents from leaving
cdubbz wrote:Donte DiVincenzo will outplay Poole this season.
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM
And1: 41,281

Post#289 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Wed Oct 9, 2019 6:12 pm

Mylie10 wrote:

I wouldn't go that far, mainland China isn't that great a place to visit if you're not Asian or white, the people are semi friendly but will stare, take pictures and constantly try to touch your hair like it's cool. The staring and pictures are ok, the hair touching is not.
Sublime187
Rookie
And1: 1,092

Post#290 » by Sublime187 » Wed Oct 9, 2019 6:18 pm

Everybody is just in it for the money. The NBA only gives a crap because they lose out on millions of dollars so they are tip toeing around the subject. Most players probably agree but they don't want to lose the hundreds of millions of Chinese money they get.

Harden is spineless anyway he is only making this statement because it effects his income in some way. Why is he apologizing on Morey's behalf? He did nothing wrong. Separate the people from the government you bearded bum.
seewhy
Sophomore

Post#291 » by seewhy » Wed Oct 9, 2019 6:57 pm

AZNKidd wrote:
seewhy wrote:
Clay Davis wrote:1. There is a genocide going on
2. Two systems 1 country

The Chinese don’t have a right to [dissenting] opinion, which is part of the root of this whole debacle. Their “opinion” is a product of the communist propaganda machine conditioning them to believe that any dissenting opinion as a separatist movement. And any dissenting opinion by a Chinese national on Chinese soil (look up xi jinping and Winnie the Pooh) is guaranteed to be censured and wiped clean from the internet.

Also, Chinese people are also very materialistic and they’ll never reject the nba. For example during the whole Huawei debacle, people were posting patriotic message supporting huawei and rejecting any American brands. The funny thing screenshots of these patriotic messages showed that they were posted using IPhones. China is like the ultimate politically correct country—citizens are either coerced and brainwashed to say the “politically correct” thing, which is to pay tribute to anything CCP. But at the end of the day, they never truly boycott foreign brands because of this patriotism, and this is tried and true in many instances ranging from iPhones to LV/Prada to Japanese car brands.

LOL from some random American thinking he represents 1.4 billion Chinese. And you know it's pretty racist to generalize that Chinese can't form an opinion because 1) you THINK they are brainwashed and 2) you THINK any opinion they have is a result of government oppression.

Seriously when is the last time you visited China and talked to a real Chinese person.
seewhy
Sophomore

Post#292 » by seewhy » Wed Oct 9, 2019 7:05 pm

Darknemo2000 wrote:
seewhy wrote:
But the Chinese love and support their government, and that's why they all stand together on this HK issue.

Indeed. Just like North Koreans love Kim Jong Un. Or germans loved Hitler. You do know that propaganda can make you love anyone. I am not saying you are wrong, mind you, just that you shouldnt bring in love for legitimacy discussion because of how propaganda work these day.

The problem with you people is that when anyone loves and supports a government that's different from American style, you automatically say that's a result of propaganda. That's a very arrogant and somewhat ignorant. Again, have you even been to China to actually know it is "just like" NK and Germany pre-WW2?
AZNKidd
Sophomore
And1: 89

Post#293 » by AZNKidd » Wed Oct 9, 2019 7:06 pm

seewhy wrote:
AZNKidd wrote:
seewhy wrote:

LOL from some random American thinking he represents 1.4 billion Chinese. And you know it's pretty racist to generalize that Chinese can't form an opinion because 1) you THINK they are brainwashed and 2) you THINK any opinion they have is a result of government oppression.

Seriously when is the last time you visited China and talked to a real Chinese person.

Teehee I wonder if my username could give a very slight hint about the possibility of where I’m actually from. “Seriously,” go on the street in front tiananmen sqaure and ask a chinese person what they think of Xi versus go on the street in front of the White House and ask an American what they think of trump. I dont think I need to tell you who would not feel intimidated to speak their mind in fear of being reprimanded by higher authorities.
sikma42
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,558

Re: How good was Giannis' MVP season? 

Post#294 » by sikma42 » Wed Oct 9, 2019 7:07 pm

seewhy wrote:
AZNKidd wrote:
seewhy wrote:

Would love to hear how he pictures the average Chinese person? This type of stuff is hilarious to me. Btw I'm not Asian. Just an America black guy who has actually dealt with Chinese people, as I worked with non-American born Chinese people almost exclusively for years. They are not all brainwashed like this guy thinks.

Sent from my SM-N960U using RealGM mobile app
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,290

Post#295 » by babyjax13 » Wed Oct 9, 2019 7:09 pm

I'm sure the ongoing Uighur genocide isn't a part of that 'true China?'

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
nikster
RealGM
And1: 11,833

Post#296 » by nikster » Wed Oct 9, 2019 7:12 pm

ropjhk wrote:The truth about China is that they have risen about a billion people out of poverty. Compared to the US they don't interfere in foreign governments. They are leading the movement towards an interconnected Asian trade network that extends all the way to Europe. They lead on rail technology and are leading the transition to electric vehicles. They are leading in 5G innovation and are one of the leaders researching non carbon producing forms of energy.Their manufacturing quality and efficiency levels rivals the Germans and puts American manufacturing to shame.

There are other things that can be debated such as how patriotic they are and how much do the Chinese people approve of their government. From what I see it appears that they are very patriotic and that they generally give their government high approval ratings. I also acknowledge that my opinion on this matter is based primarily on Chinese people that I personally know (small sample size) and Chinese media which has a bias (just like American media).

China does come across as insecure, but pathetic is hardly a word I would use to describe that country. They are a growing superpower, and the US-China trade war will not stop that in the long run.

nikster wrote:
phifans wrote:
All of these are nothing compared to US using a bag of washing powder as the evidence of Iraq owning Weapons of mass destruction to make the invasion valid. :lol:

Even those censorship seems reasonable now considering how American and their government likes to interfere others internal affairs. What do you expect if you don't respect others value and rules?

You talk about some kind of vague notion of truth about China and instead of making some kind of coherent point you just deflect deflect deflect. I’m not even American so what the hell does their history have to do with the abuses China is currently commuting?

I’m thinking You don’t have anything of substance to offer

Economics and approval ratings. So nothing about the human rights abuses or censorship. And nothing that you couldnt learn from western media sources

Chinese media bias is not "just like American media" either btw
seewhy
Sophomore

Post#297 » by seewhy » Wed Oct 9, 2019 7:24 pm

AZNKidd wrote:
seewhy wrote:
AZNKidd wrote:

Teehee I wonder if my username could give a very slight hint about the possibility of where I’m actually from. “Seriously,” go on the street in front tiananmen sqaure and ask a chinese person what they think of Xi versus go on the street in front of the White House and ask an American what they think of trump. I dont think I need to tell you who would not feel intimidated to speak their mind in fear of being reprimanded by higher authorities.

yea seriously, I have been to Beijing and in front of Tienanmen square and I talked to the people there. And I work with Chinese people who live inside and outside China. And what you and many people think about ordinary Chinese in 2019 is absolutely outdated and non-sense.
seewhy
Sophomore

Post#298 » by seewhy » Wed Oct 9, 2019 7:27 pm

babyjax13 wrote:

I have been to Tibet and it is absolutely wonderful there, except the damn high altitude sickness.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,290

Post#299 » by babyjax13 » Wed Oct 9, 2019 7:34 pm

seewhy wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:

I have been to Tibet and it is absolutely wonderful there, except the damn high altitude sickness.

Uighurs are predominantly in Xinjiang. I get paid to code civil conflict data and have done quite a bit with China. People being nice and appearances being good is not the same as a country with a respect for human rights.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Darknemo2000
Veteran
And1: 1,685

Post#300 » by Darknemo2000 » Wed Oct 9, 2019 7:40 pm

seewhy wrote:
Darknemo2000 wrote:
seewhy wrote:

The problem with you people is that when anyone loves and supports a government that's different from American style, you automatically say that's a result of propaganda. That's a very arrogant and somewhat ignorant. Again, have you even been to China to actually know it is "just like" NK and Germany pre-WW2?

Sadly I know how communism propaganda works. Was born in soviet union. Used to think that Lenin invented lightbulb and was one of the great person who helped human progress in science field only later found out that the first people that Lening and later Stalin sent to GULAG's were the same scientists, teachers and intellectuals. Strange how world works huh?

You can say oh but chine is so different from soviet union but I fail to see much difference. Yeah China started to live much better thanks to Clinton and Bush administrations efforts allowing them into WTO almost 20 years ago but I see a lot of old soviet signs.

Like 5 year plans (used to be called 'petyaletka's in soviet union) that administrative heads have to match and in order to match the number they go into great length of bribery and corruption. Same distrust in local banks which makes people invest into real estates and in order to show the growth China eagerly builds empty cities where only a few move in to live because of astronomical prices in services like water and electricity.

Same willingness to control information calling the blocked information morally corrupt western propaganda. It used to be the same in soviet union too.

I dont know, man for me China on the outside looks more shiny and has obviously much more economical power but its fundament seems to be same communistic crap as always.

Return to The General Board