Are 90's Fans Killing Hip-Hop?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, Domejandro, zimpy27, bwgood77, BombsquadSammy, Yuri Vaultin, PockyCandy, Prez

Are 90's Fans Killing Hip Hop?

Yes
10%
No, Shaq is
90%

Total votes: 59

Promezclan
Sixth Man
And1: 777

Re: Are 90's Fans Killing Hip-Hop? 

Post#201 » by Promezclan » Tue Oct 8, 2019 5:29 pm

GeorgeMarcus wrote:
ThomYorke wrote:It's pretty awkward being a basketball fan and not liking rap music

If it makes you feel any better, I like rap but also some of the whitest music imaginable... Dave Matthews, Coldplay, Billy Joel, Elton John, you name it. I’m a sucker for music in general and can even pinpoint the occasional country song that I enjoy.

I split the difference and like the whitest rap imaginable - The Roots, Common, Cunninlynguists, Lupe Fiasco, Kanye, Earl Sweatshirt...
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 9,241

Post#202 » by Rich Rane » Tue Oct 8, 2019 5:29 pm

clyde21 wrote:Common too...what makes Kdot a better storyteller than Common?

I’d honestly take Common's Be album over most others since its release.
JohnnyKILLroy
RealGM
And1: 3,543

Post#203 » by JohnnyKILLroy » Tue Oct 8, 2019 5:34 pm

TurinTurambar wrote:
clyde21 wrote:lol this Black Thought freestyle alone **** on 99% of 'rappers' and 'bars' today

this guy was the NORM in the 90s

today **** put a couple of tatts on their face and call it a day

I don't really have a great reason to quote this, I just love Black Thought and Meth.

There's good and bad music in every era of every genre, and we'll always fondly remember the genuine, truly artistic stuff that came from groups like The Roots and Wu Tang, and either forget or deride the crass, crudely commercial stuff like the Master P's, Vanilla Ice's, and MC Hammer's of the world. I'm not sure anything the kids today are doing is necessarily any more embarrassing than No Limit tanks or parachute pants and unfortunate hairstyle choices.

A couple of things that can be said about this era: I don't think rappers like Kevin Abstract or Tyler the Creator could have been out and have enjoyed the same success they have today, and they're both exceptionally talented and deserving of it. I think the same is true to a certain degree with women in rap, although that progress has tracked much differently from the earliest stages of the genre.

Also, today we have Kendrick Lamar, Run the Jewels, Vince Staples, Schoolboy Q, Run the Jewels, Pusha T, Rhapsody, Joey Bada$$, Anderson .Paak, Run the Jewels, Crooked I, the aforementioned Kevin and Tyler, and of course Run the Jewels (seriously, everyone should listen to RTJ. They're the greatest thing ever). So it's not really all bad.

-EDIT-

I just realized that the video was not the one I thought it was. Here's Black Thought with Meth:

RTJ are 90s dudes.
What is happiness? It's a moment before you need more happiness.” — Don Draper
liamliam1234
Junior
And1: 409

Post#204 » by liamliam1234 » Tue Oct 8, 2019 5:41 pm

Promezclan wrote:
GeorgeMarcus wrote:
ThomYorke wrote:It's pretty awkward being a basketball fan and not liking rap music

If it makes you feel any better, I like rap but also some of the whitest music imaginable... Dave Matthews, Coldplay, Billy Joel, Elton John, you name it. I’m a sucker for music in general and can even pinpoint the occasional country song that I enjoy.

I split the difference and like the whitest rap imaginable - The Roots, Common, Cunninlynguists, Lupe Fiasco, Kanye, Earl Sweatshirt...

Tough one because you are not totally off-base with that... but I also think the implication that socially conscious soul-influenced rap is inherently “white” is pretty egregious. And Lupe-Common-Kanye are all pretty related, and Common-Roots are related as well.

When I think white rap, I think, well, easy target, but white rappers. And beyond that, J.Cole and Big Sean come to mind... maaaaaybe Meek Mill and Migos, but at a certain point it becomes a question of whether we are talking “white” rap or just “college party” rap. Kanye is up there in the same sense as Drake, in that they are popular and make widely accessible music, but that should not equal “white rap”. I guess Will Smith had a pretty “white” rapping style, lol.
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 9,241

Post#205 » by Rich Rane » Tue Oct 8, 2019 5:44 pm

clyde21 wrote:
_Game7_ wrote:
draftnightsuit wrote:
Yeah ‘90s hip hop was so much better

Just made one of the best songs of all time, no big deal right?

if this the 90s Lil Yachty we're okay over here. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'd take Puffy over anything listed here:
https://www.xxlmag.com/news/2019/07/best-hip-hop-songs-2019-so-far

I will admit to not giving new hip hop since the late 2000s much of a chance though.
GeorgeMarcus
RealGM
And1: 13,308

Post#206 » by GeorgeMarcus » Tue Oct 8, 2019 5:54 pm

Promezclan wrote:
GeorgeMarcus wrote:

I served Questlove when I use to bartend at Bonefish Grill. I didn’t even realize it was him until he was leaving. Really nice guy and generous tipper.
"In my hood, bullies get bullied." - Zach Randolph

The Legend of George Marcus
playaloc916
Veteran
And1: 270

Post#207 » by playaloc916 » Tue Oct 8, 2019 5:59 pm

MotownMadness wrote:I think every kind of music from the 90s is better then anything out currently. But i remember people before my generation saying the same thing as me now.

I feel the same... most of the songs i listen to on youtube are 90's songs. Two niche types of music, both my favorites, Bay Area rap and R&B groups... Crazy to think I regularly listen to songs that are over 20-25 years old...
E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 18,932
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Post#208 » by E-Balla » Tue Oct 8, 2019 5:59 pm

freethedevil wrote:This was the comment of a 90's fan who, for his own safety, won't be named regarding a rap battle.

This is a battle who cares about technical rap ability.

No wonder good music is dying, :noway:

Bonus question:

Shaqtin a Fool or nah?:
[So the only thing left now, kill these cats
Soft ass, I'ma kill these cats
Already won, I'm too smart for these cats
While you spittin' metaphors, I'm spittin' up facts

:clap:

90s fan? My dude I'm 25. :lol:

I'm just not playing dumb like you, you know rap battles were never about bars and they never have been. Drake didn't beat Meek with better technical bars. Push didn't beat Drake with better technical bars. 50 didn't beat... um.. everyone? with better technical bars. Nas didn't beat Jay with better technical bars. Ice Cube didn't beat Cypress Hill and NWA with better bars. Dame made a better song. Shaq made a diss. Shaq wins.
"The hottest place in Hell is reserved for those who remain neutral in times of great moral conflict." - Martin Luther King
TurinTurambar
Sophomore
And1: 93

Post#209 » by TurinTurambar » Tue Oct 8, 2019 6:18 pm

JohnnyKILLroy wrote:
RTJ are 90s dudes.

Yeah, they're both products of the indie explosion in the late 90's/early 00's, but they didn't get together until 2013, and its the most successful thing either has ever done.

Thank you for giving me an excuse to post RTJ songs though!

They made a cat album remix of II and it's the stupidest, most delightful thing:

Btw, how have we gotten this far in a rap thread without getting into everyone's top five favorite rappers?
Mighty Quinn
Junior
And1: 201

Post#210 » by Mighty Quinn » Tue Oct 8, 2019 6:39 pm

playaloc916 wrote:
MotownMadness wrote:I think every kind of music from the 90s is better then anything out currently. But i remember people before my generation saying the same thing as me now.

I feel the same... most of the songs i listen to on youtube are 90's songs. Two niche types of music, both my favorites, Bay Area rap and R&B groups... Crazy to think I regularly listen to songs that are over 20-25 years old...

Spice 1 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
GeorgeMarcus
RealGM
And1: 13,308

Post#211 » by GeorgeMarcus » Tue Oct 8, 2019 6:57 pm

TurinTurambar wrote:Btw, how have we gotten this far in a rap thread without getting into everyone's top five favorite rappers?

Without thinking it through too much...

Nas
Eminem
Biggie
Early Kanye
Andre 3000
"In my hood, bullies get bullied." - Zach Randolph

The Legend of George Marcus
playaloc916
Veteran
And1: 270

Post#212 » by playaloc916 » Tue Oct 8, 2019 7:17 pm

Mighty Quinn wrote:
playaloc916 wrote:

Spice 1 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Nice... I started off with Oakland rap (Too Short, Spice 1, Dru Down, Luniz, etc.), but kinda gravitated towards SF rap... I loved the use of live instruments, especially the bass. 11-5, JT, Messy Marv, 4-Tay... then even stuff from Sac like C-Bo...the list can go on and on... how I miss those days, lol.
E-Balla
RealGM

Post#213 » by E-Balla » Tue Oct 8, 2019 7:26 pm

_Game7_ wrote:
clyde21 wrote:this get 33 million views in 2019...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:banghead: :banghead: TTTTRRRAAAASSSSSHHHHH but this basically how all music today sounds

Bro this **** is hilarious. There's always a spot for funny party songs in hip hop. Biz Markie couldn't rap for **** but he was funny and Big Daddy Kane wrote him some good songs.
"The hottest place in Hell is reserved for those who remain neutral in times of great moral conflict." - Martin Luther King
E-Balla
RealGM

Post#214 » by E-Balla » Tue Oct 8, 2019 7:41 pm

Truth is 1994 is still the best year in rap history. Outkast, Common, Nas, Biggie, and Scarface can all be argued top 10 all time and they dropped their debut albums that year. For Nas, Biggie, and Scarface it was their best album.

Next closest year is probably 2011 (Take Care, Section.80, WTT, XXX, Goblin, Dr. Lector, Covert Coup, Live.Love.ASAP, Blue Slide Park, Random Axe, Black and Brown) but most of those releases I put there are mixtapes. Rap nowadays has less classics and more depth.
TurboTitan
Sixth Man
And1: 1,636

Post#215 » by TurboTitan » Tue Oct 8, 2019 8:27 pm

no, but there are a some gems coming up in the game that I think they should be more open to. Dave East, YBN Cordae, G Herbo, Kiing Shooter etc are all old school and theres the obvious ones that are more established like your coles, kendricks, pusha t, Ross etc.
“We don't see ourselves as All-Stars. We see ourselves as one unit. It's like five fingers on a hand. You can do more damage together as a fist than spread out flat.” ~SHEED
Panic610
Bench Warmer
And1: 991

Post#216 » by Panic610 » Tue Oct 8, 2019 8:39 pm

Can't respect any top 5 that doesn't have Jay-z on it. He fits every criteria of a good rapper.

Bars
Storytelling
Witty/Clever
Flows (can switch it up and evolve)
Success
Beat selection
Blue_and_Whte wrote:Whats hilarious to me is that if Markelle's' jumper returns hes actually a better fit than B Simmons... LMAO. Dude is massively overrated.
Driguez
General Manager
And1: 1,810

Post#217 » by Driguez » Tue Oct 8, 2019 8:41 pm

JohnnyKILLroy wrote:
TurinTurambar wrote:
clyde21 wrote:lol this Black Thought freestyle alone **** on 99% of 'rappers' and 'bars' today

this guy was the NORM in the 90s

today **** put a couple of tatts on their face and call it a day

I don't really have a great reason to quote this, I just love Black Thought and Meth.

There's good and bad music in every era of every genre, and we'll always fondly remember the genuine, truly artistic stuff that came from groups like The Roots and Wu Tang, and either forget or deride the crass, crudely commercial stuff like the Master P's, Vanilla Ice's, and MC Hammer's of the world. I'm not sure anything the kids today are doing is necessarily any more embarrassing than No Limit tanks or parachute pants and unfortunate hairstyle choices.

A couple of things that can be said about this era: I don't think rappers like Kevin Abstract or Tyler the Creator could have been out and have enjoyed the same success they have today, and they're both exceptionally talented and deserving of it. I think the same is true to a certain degree with women in rap, although that progress has tracked much differently from the earliest stages of the genre.

Also, today we have Kendrick Lamar, Run the Jewels, Vince Staples, Schoolboy Q, Run the Jewels, Pusha T, Rhapsody, Joey Bada$$, Anderson .Paak, Run the Jewels, Crooked I, the aforementioned Kevin and Tyler, and of course Run the Jewels (seriously, everyone should listen to RTJ. They're the greatest thing ever). So it's not really all bad.

-EDIT-

I just realized that the video was not the one I thought it was. Here's Black Thought with Meth:

RTJ are 90s dudes.

Idk you, but THANK YOU for sharing that Meth/BT bit... That’s what comes to mind when people say hiphop, 90s hihop. We aren’t killing anything, we don’t listen to dumbed down mumble nonsense.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 41,788

Post#218 » by clyde21 » Tue Oct 8, 2019 8:43 pm

Driguez wrote:
JohnnyKILLroy wrote:
TurinTurambar wrote:

-EDIT-

RTJ are 90s dudes.

Idk you, but THANK YOU for sharing that Meth/BT bit... That’s what comes to mind when people say hiphop, 90s hihop. We aren’t killing anything, we don’t listen to dumbed down mumble nonsense.

meth is so underrated
ReaLiez
General Board Mock Draft Champ
And1: 3,123

Post#219 » by ReaLiez » Tue Oct 8, 2019 8:55 pm

Jay-Z isn't a writer he's a biter

Biggie
Tupac
Nas
Eminem
Snoop Dogg

Music is an expression of the times - Majority of Rap speaks on partying and making money which is marketable and great for the companies but not so much for expanding perspective of the impressionable youth
Justice
Panic610
Bench Warmer
And1: 991

Post#220 » by Panic610 » Tue Oct 8, 2019 8:57 pm

ReaLiez wrote:Jay-Z isn't a writer he's a biter

Biggie
Tupac
Nas
Eminem
Snoop Dogg

Music is an expression of the times - Majority of Rap speaks on partying and making money which is marketable and great for the companies but not so much for expanding perspective of the impressionable youth

Who did Jay bite off? Every rapper, especially today, quotes rappers they like or rappers before their time. Snoop over Jay? Based on what? Snoop does nothing better than Jay
Blue_and_Whte wrote:Whats hilarious to me is that if Markelle's' jumper returns hes actually a better fit than B Simmons... LMAO. Dude is massively overrated.

Return to The General Board