Celtics exposed?

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

manlisten
Junior
And1: 311

Re: Celtics exposed? 

Post#141 » by manlisten » Wed Oct 9, 2019 2:44 pm

The Comedian wrote:
LloydFree wrote:
NatiboyB wrote:doesn't Danny still have a treasure trove of trade assets that he can use to go get a superstar on the trade block? They are just waiting on the next superstar big man to want out.... :D

I believe they have have the Memphis protected '20 pick and the Bucks '20 pick. Much of their anticipated treasure trove was spent on Romeo Langford and Grant Williams

The Grizzlies pick is top 6 protected this year, then unprotected next year. That is an extremely valuable piece, whether to keep or in a trade. And to be fair, the treasure trove also got them Tatum and Jaylen.
What makes it so valuable? You really think Memphis is trending down? People thought the same about the Kings pick and look how that turned out.

Sent from my Pixel XL using RealGM mobile app
djsunyc
RealGM
And1: 67,326

Post#142 » by djsunyc » Wed Oct 9, 2019 2:48 pm

manlisten wrote:I've got them winning 42 games. They essentially have a tank roster on par with the Grizzlies and OKC but not as cohesive as those squads. They would be a 15 seed in the West. I know people like to say it's only preseason but there were some MAJOR red flags in that game and they were all highly predictable. During the stretch where they went down 17 they couldn't manufacture any type of looks on offense and Kemba/Kanter were getting abused on defense every single trip down the court. And this was against the Charlotte Hornets who have the most random assortment of names since Hinkie's Sixers. Stevens seems to be running the same system as last year with his center dictating the offense above the break. This made me realize how much of a crutch Horford was for him because Kanter and Williams aren't equipped for that role whatsoever. They are going to have to scratch and claw for any wins, absolutely nothing is coming easy for that team.

for danny ainge to spend 5 years and all those draft picks building the charlotte hornets would be quite bad.
Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,465

Post#143 » by Feed Your Head » Wed Oct 9, 2019 2:59 pm

manlisten wrote:
The Comedian wrote:
LloydFree wrote:I believe they have have the Memphis protected '20 pick and the Bucks '20 pick. Much of their anticipated treasure trove was spent on Romeo Langford and Grant Williams

The Grizzlies pick is top 6 protected this year, then unprotected next year. That is an extremely valuable piece, whether to keep or in a trade. And to be fair, the treasure trove also got them Tatum and Jaylen.
What makes it so valuable? You really think Memphis is trending down? People thought the same about the Kings pick and look how that turned out.

I think the Grizzlies have a few awesome young players, but they could easily suck the next few years. Teams that young tend to not be very good, for the most part. Are you implying an unprotected pick from a bad team isn't extremely valuable?
manlisten
Junior

Post#144 » by manlisten » Wed Oct 9, 2019 3:02 pm

The Comedian wrote:
manlisten wrote:
The Comedian wrote:

I think the Grizzlies have a couple awesome young players, but they could easily suck the next few years. Are you implying an unprotected pick from a bad team isn't extremely valuable?
I'm implying that they won't be a bad team by the time the pick conveys. Memphis is a very well run organization and they already have a solid core in tact with Morant/JJJ/Val. If Celtic fans are looking forward to a top 5 pick they'll be very disappointed.

Feed Your Head
RealGM

Post#145 » by Feed Your Head » Wed Oct 9, 2019 3:08 pm

manlisten wrote:
The Comedian wrote:
manlisten wrote:What makes it so valuable? You really think Memphis is trending down? People thought the same about the Kings pick and look how that turned out.

I think the Grizzlies have a couple awesome young players, but they could easily suck the next few years. Are you implying an unprotected pick from a bad team isn't extremely valuable?
I'm implying that they won't be a bad team by the time the pick conveys. Memphis is a very well run organization and they already have a solid core in tact with Morant/JJJ/Val. If Celtic fans are looking forward to a top 5 pick they'll be very disappointed.

I agree that it's a solid core, doesn't change the fact that young teams usually are pretty bad. And it's only one season away, they will still be extremely young next year, and playing in the west, which as you pointed out yourself, is much tougher.

To claim that pick doesn't have a lot of value is being silly.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,568
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#146 » by LloydFree » Wed Oct 9, 2019 3:10 pm

manlisten wrote:
The Comedian wrote:
manlisten wrote:What makes it so valuable? You really think Memphis is trending down? People thought the same about the Kings pick and look how that turned out.

Exactly. If the pick doesn't convey this year, then that means the Grizzlies added another top 5 prospect to those two beasts they already have, and they'll have max cap space to add players in a year they don't have a reason to tank. That pick will be late lottery.

It'll be the same as when Cleveland had the Nets' pick and it wasn't valuable enough to get anything significant.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
manlisten
Junior

Post#147 » by manlisten » Wed Oct 9, 2019 3:14 pm

The Comedian wrote:
manlisten wrote:
The Comedian wrote:

I agree that it's a solid core, doesn't change the fact that young teams usually are pretty bad. And it's only one season away, they will still be extremely young next year, and playing in the west, which as you pointed out yourself, is much tougher.

How much value do you think that pick has? You said "extremely". Are you saying teams would be willing to trade their star players for that pick? As the season goes along it will become apparent that Memphis is building a solid team and that pick will lose value. The time to cash in was last season but Ainge always overestimates himself.

Feed Your Head
RealGM

Post#148 » by Feed Your Head » Wed Oct 9, 2019 3:18 pm

manlisten wrote:
The Comedian wrote:
manlisten wrote:I'm implying that they won't be a bad team by the time the pick conveys. Memphis is a very well run organization and they already have a solid core in tact with Morant/JJJ/Val. If Celtic fans are looking forward to a top 5 pick they'll be very disappointed.

How much value do you think that pick has? You said "extremely". Are you saying teams would be willing to trade their star players for that pick? As the season goes along it will become apparent that Memphis is building a solid team and that pick will lose value. The time to cash in was last season but Ainge always overestimates himself.

I said it was an extremely valuable piece, no team would trade a star for that alone of course.

And we will just have to wait and see. I think it's more likely they suck, but i could easily be wrong, wouldn't be the first time.
NoBias
Sixth Man
And1: 2,169

Post#149 » by NoBias » Wed Oct 9, 2019 3:29 pm

Marc Gasol for Jaylen Brown and Hayward should solve that :)
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,067

Post#150 » by Darth Celtic » Wed Oct 9, 2019 4:38 pm

manlisten wrote:
The Comedian wrote:
manlisten wrote:I'm implying that they won't be a bad team by the time the pick conveys. Memphis is a very well run organization and they already have a solid core in tact with Morant/JJJ/Val. If Celtic fans are looking forward to a top 5 pick they'll be very disappointed.

The Lakers finished 10th worst record and had the 4th pick this year and nobody was shocked with the new flattened lotto odds. So I would say with 0 reservations that the grizz will not make the playoffs in 2020 or 2021 drafts. Meaning even if they finish with a 10ish record which would be a stretch to believe, odds of moving up are better than ever before.
MrDollarBills = MrWelchesBets
Froob
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 58,684

Post#151 » by Froob » Wed Oct 9, 2019 4:41 pm

People really in this thread roasting Ainge for not trading his picks and young players for guys like George, Butler and Kawhi who have already jumped ship twice?

Tommy Heinsohn wrote:The game is not over until they look you in the face and start crying.

RIP The_Hater
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,980

Post#152 » by Curmudgeon » Wed Oct 9, 2019 4:53 pm

Memphis plays in the Western Conference, yes? They just unloaded Conley and Gasol, yes? So you think Ja Morant, Jaren Jackson, Valenciunas and Jae Crowder are going to win more than 30 games next year? Or the year after that?

The new lottery rules actually make the Memphis pick better, not worse. A truly bad team like the Knicks can't grab the best lottery odds.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
Jadoogar
RealGM
And1: 14,879

Post#153 » by Jadoogar » Wed Oct 9, 2019 4:57 pm

TroubleS0me wrote:
celtics543 wrote:Celts are a playoff team but the interior defense is definitely an issue. Kanter isn't going to start though, they'll have someone in there for defensive purposes, whether it ends up being RW3, Grant Williams, Theis, Poirier, or whoever. There's been one preseason game so lots of things to work out but losing Al makes it really tough defensively. What I'm pretty sure of though is that Marcus Smart has to start next to Kemba and right now it looks like Hayward would be the odd one out of the starting lineup. I think Tatum and Brown can play better defense than Hayward and I'm not sure they need Gordon's offense with the starting unit.

Tacko Fall ? He has the height & rim protection

Boban has the height as well but he's terrible on defense. It's not easy for guys that big to play effective defense for long stretches.
Tai
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,240

Post#154 » by Tai » Wed Oct 9, 2019 5:05 pm

CoP wrote:
RHODEY wrote:
CoP wrote:Good job moving the goalposts. First it was that "BSPN" couldn't see it coming. Now that I've shown that everyone saw it as being an issue, you move the goalposts to it being "severely understated." The front-court issues basically comprised half of the blurb about the Celtics in the ESPN article I posted.

We'll agree to disagree on whether talk of Celtics being top 4 in the East is justified. The East is weak and there are several teams on a lower tier below the Bucks and Sixers that could get a top 4 seed, Celtics included.

Not that weak. I predict that you will struggle to make the playoffs.

OK. Sig bet for **** and giggles? If the Celtics are the 8 seed or worse, you win. 1-7 seed and I win. Reward is choosing the other person's signature for one month.

You know what, sign me up too. The Celtics will at least be a 7 seed lol.
smartyz456 wrote:oh i am a laker fan for life

i'm just gonna be a warrior fan until lebron leaves the lakers

true laker fans don't root for lebron

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1728641
CoP
Head Coach
And1: 9,514

Post#155 » by CoP » Wed Oct 9, 2019 5:16 pm

Tai wrote:
CoP wrote:
RHODEY wrote:
Not that weak. I predict that you will struggle to make the playoffs.

OK. Sig bet for **** and giggles? If the Celtics are the 8 seed or worse, you win. 1-7 seed and I win. Reward is choosing the other person's signature for one month.

Doesn't seem like it's happening. The dude replied to me almost immediately several times, but when I offered the sig bet, he ghosted. NBD
itrsteve
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,385

Post#156 » by itrsteve » Wed Oct 9, 2019 5:22 pm

Froob wrote:People really in this thread roasting Ainge for not trading his picks and young players for guys like George, Butler and Kawhi who have already jumped ship twice?

It's standard operating procedure around these parts.

Meanwhile, completely overlooking that he did in fact roll the dice with one of the coveted picks for an all-star who wasn't interested in finishing out their contract just like the rest of them... Look how that turned out? I have the utmost confidence that Boston would have been left in shambles if they had rolled the dice on any of those 3 just the same.

They're going to crap on him and the celtics either way, it's best to try not to reason with them.
Tai
Lead Assistant

Post#157 » by Tai » Wed Oct 9, 2019 5:24 pm

CoP wrote:
Tai wrote:
CoP wrote:OK. Sig bet for **** and giggles? If the Celtics are the 8 seed or worse, you win. 1-7 seed and I win. Reward is choosing the other person's signature for one month.

Doesn't seem like it's happening. The dude replied to me almost immediately several times, but when I offered the sig bet, he ghosted. NBD

Well the premise of the topic is suspect as is, you'd have thought they started .500 after 20 REGULAR SEASON games.

I mean they scored a lotta points and gave up a lot in a preseason win, something that we should expect a lot of this season. Apparently that constitutes being exposed. :lol:

Froob
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 58,684

Post#158 » by Froob » Wed Oct 9, 2019 5:25 pm

Jadoogar wrote:
TroubleS0me wrote:
celtics543 wrote:Celts are a playoff team but the interior defense is definitely an issue. Kanter isn't going to start though, they'll have someone in there for defensive purposes, whether it ends up being RW3, Grant Williams, Theis, Poirier, or whoever. There's been one preseason game so lots of things to work out but losing Al makes it really tough defensively. What I'm pretty sure of though is that Marcus Smart has to start next to Kemba and right now it looks like Hayward would be the odd one out of the starting lineup. I think Tatum and Brown can play better defense than Hayward and I'm not sure they need Gordon's offense with the starting unit.

Tacko Fall ? He has the height & rim protection

Boban has the height as well but he's terrible on defense. It's not easy for guys that big to play effective defense for long stretches.

Boban has relatively short arms. Tacko has the largest wing spin in the history of the combine. Think there’s something to work with there. But it will have to be relatively short spurts.

Tommy Heinsohn wrote:The game is not over until they look you in the face and start crying.

RIP The_Hater
Tai
Lead Assistant

Post#159 » by Tai » Wed Oct 9, 2019 5:27 pm

itrsteve wrote:
Froob wrote:People really in this thread roasting Ainge for not trading his picks and young players for guys like George, Butler and Kawhi who have already jumped ship twice?

It's standard operating procedure around these parts.

Meanwhile, completely overlooking that he did in fact roll the dice with one of the coveted picks for an all-star who wasn't interested in finishing out their contract just like the rest of them... Look how that turned out? I have the utmost confidence that Boston would have been left in shambles if they had rolled the dice on any of those 3 just the same.

They're going to crap on him and the celtics either way, it's best to try not to reason with them.

To be fair on Paul George, I think he woulda stayed in Boston (and actually did for the Thunder once); I think he just legit saw the writing on the wall for the Thunder and was like "yea it ain't happening here". But everyone else? Yea no doubt they were probably leaving.

bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 57,441

Post#160 » by bisme37 » Wed Oct 9, 2019 5:31 pm

Update: This is now an 8 page thread about how the Celtics were exposed in a preseason win that no one even watched outside of Celtics and Hornets fans.

Return to The General Board