Celtics exposed?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

orlando_joe
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,659

Re: Celtics exposed? 

Post#321 » by orlando_joe » Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:36 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:
orlando_joe wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:
Lol, I love the sound of haters grasping for straws— its beautiful.

lol.i love the sound of dreamers that have 1 quarter of great preseason thinking there great.. sorry didn't magic sweep boston in reg season last yr?

Dreamers? No one thinks the Celtics are great. They are firmly in the 3-7 range in the east with a ceiling of the second round in the playoffs. Whats ridiculous is how everyone castigated Boston because of a preseason game vs Charlotte. Its preseason, it means incredibly little.

As to your last point, id invite you to reread some of my posts in this thread, including one where I said that people shouldnt overreact to preseason games. However, I am absolutely going to clown those who **** all over the Celtics because of their ridiculous extrapolations on one preseason game.

all he said was magic played 4 games in 6 days tired legs and missed open shots you ripped him? and you reason also mine *** all over magic for 12 min of preseason basketball the rest of game teams were equally bad 1 point difference..lol
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,847

Post#322 » by SmartWentCrazy » Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:43 pm

orlando_joe wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:
orlando_joe wrote:
lol.i love the sound of dreamers that have 1 quarter of great preseason thinking there great.. sorry didn't magic sweep boston in reg season last yr?

Dreamers? No one thinks the Celtics are great. They are firmly in the 3-7 range in the east with a ceiling of the second round in the playoffs. Whats ridiculous is how everyone castigated Boston because of a preseason game vs Charlotte. Its preseason, it means incredibly little.

As to your last point, id invite you to reread some of my posts in this thread, including one where I said that people shouldnt overreact to preseason games. However, I am absolutely going to clown those who **** all over the Celtics because of their ridiculous extrapolations on one preseason game.

all he said was magic played 4 games in 6 days tired legs and missed open shots you ripped him? and you reason also mine *** all over magic for 12 min of preseason basketball the rest of game teams were equally bad 1 point difference..lol

Read his posts in the thread if youre going to attempt to join the conversation at this juncture. He’s moving the goalposts. And the Celtics were up 30 when they finally rested their starters midway thru the 3rd.

Its okay to say you got beat without making excuses. Its just preseason.
orlando_joe
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,659

Post#323 » by orlando_joe » Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:57 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:
orlando_joe wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:

Read his posts in the thread if youre going to attempt to join the conversation at this juncture. He’s moving the goalposts. And the Celtics were up 30 when they finally rested their starters midway thru the 3rd.

yea same as they were up in 1st ..did magic play starters much after that? midway in 3rd..could not watch game have to admit just saw ugly box score.....also admit just read last page..lol..looked like boston fans dumping on magic..all good..i see goalpost moving alot
LewisnotMiller
Analyst
And1: 3,232

Post#324 » by LewisnotMiller » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:20 pm

Tiny ball wrote:
AussieCeltic wrote:Time for a “Magic exposed?” Thread

They had won three and took the game off. Its pre season. They owned the Celtics last year if I remember correctly. Why go all out for a team you think is cream puff.

Yeah, this is compelling...*rolls eyes*
itrsteve
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,219

Post#325 » by itrsteve » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:20 pm

Tiny ball wrote:
itrsteve wrote:
TheRealKaboom wrote:Wrong. The ultimate goal is to win championships, not basketball games. You do that by acquiring star players.

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app

Good point, now that I think about it, there’s no team I can think of that got a chip without making moves for an established star player.

I forget who did GS and San Antonio get?

Bingo. I think people get wrapped up in moves for the sake of making moves. This star talent doesn't just fall from the sky in most cases (I'm excluding guys like LBJ, AD, Zion who were NBA ready out the gates) it has to be built through experience, coaching and mentorship.

Who the hell were PG, Leonard or Butler when they were coming into the league? They were just dudes playing 2nd, 3rd, 4th fiddle to existing talent (i.e. Danny Granger, where's that guy now?). To put a talent cap on guys like Tatum or Brown this early on is rather short-sighted.

orlando_joe wrote:yea same as they were up in 1st ..did magic play starters much after that? midway in 3rd..could not watch game have to admit just saw ugly box score.....also admit just read last page..lol..looked like boston fans dumping on magic..all good..i see goalpost moving alot

In all fairness it was less dumping on Orlando and more gloating about how maybe Boston isn't as "exposed" as everybody wants to make it out to be.
manlisten
Junior
And1: 311

Post#326 » by manlisten » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:24 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:
orlando_joe wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:

What goalposts? Boston still has the same issues they did after the first game.
LewisnotMiller
Analyst
And1: 3,232

Post#327 » by LewisnotMiller » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:27 pm

kuclas wrote:It’s funny people want to play small ball and forget the center is the most important position for the defense in basketball. Unless u have a strong 4 defender (aka Paul Milsap) paired with an average center defender. U cannot get away with a center who cannot defend that well. And yes. Milsap helps Jokic out a lot.

So unless Boston’s young bigs improved. It’s gonna to be a young problem for them all season.

Even my sixers realize this program. The minute embiid went out of the game. The center defense became a joke. Teams attack at will. Just image not having rim protection for 30 minutes. Not a good sign for Boston unless Williams can develop or the big fella Fall can give them minutes as well.

Sure. But is anyone arguing that it won't be?
I'd see us as a decent regular season team that will hit a wall in the playoffs unless something changes.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#328 » by SmartWentCrazy » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:33 pm

orlando_joe wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:
orlando_joe wrote:all he said was magic played 4 games in 6 days tired legs and missed open shots you ripped him? and you reason also mine *** all over magic for 12 min of preseason basketball the rest of game teams were equally bad 1 point difference..lol

yea same as they were up in 1st ..did magic play starters much after that? midway in 3rd..could not watch game have to admit just saw ugly box score.....also admit just read last page..lol..looked like boston fans dumping on magic..all good..i see goalpost moving alot

The Magic are a great team and firmly in the 3-7 range as well. They had a bad night— it happens and luckily for you guys its only the preseason. They’ll be fine going forward and no one should overreact to this one game.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#329 » by The_Hater » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:41 pm

So much ridiculous analysis for a couple of preseason games.

Happens every year as some people really don’t have a clue.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Snotbubbles
Sixth Man
And1: 1,451

Post#330 » by Snotbubbles » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:40 am

Tiny ball wrote:
itrsteve wrote:
TheRealKaboom wrote:Wrong. The ultimate goal is to win championships, not basketball games. You do that by acquiring star players.

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app

Good point, now that I think about it, there’s no team I can think of that got a chip without making moves for an established star player.

I forget who did GS and San Antonio get?

Every rebuild is different. The goal is to acquire stars. Do you need help with who the star players were on those teams?
LakersSoul
Head Coach
And1: 4,486

Re: Celtics interior defense exposed? 

Post#331 » by LakersSoul » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:44 am

LloydFree wrote:
CIN-C-STAR wrote:I didn't understand why they shipped Baynes to Phoenix in what was basically a salary dump.
The guy is an excellent big defender and rim protector. They couldn't have found a use for that, at least situationally?

I believe they were hustling up last minute capspace so they could keep Horford's Caphold and still obtain Kemba. I believe they could have signed Kemba outright, without the Rozier sign and trade, if they renounced Horford's Bird Rights. Once they cleared Baynes and did the sign-and-trade, they could get both players. But Horford screwed them and left anyway.

Considering how they treated his teammate IT and how they wanted to underpay him, why would he be loyal?

"Westy, LeBron + AD to rule the West.
Return of the King, the Lakers."
dautjazz
RealGM
And1: 9,560

Post#332 » by dautjazz » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:53 am

TDotJon wrote:but they have jayson tatum. he's going to be an MVP
But he's only 14 for another year.
NickAnderson wrote:
How old are you, just curious.

by gomeziee on 21 Jul 2013 00:53

im 20, and i did grow up watching MJ play in the 90's.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,567
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#333 » by LloydFree » Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:07 pm

LakersSoul wrote:
LloydFree wrote:
CIN-C-STAR wrote:I didn't understand why they shipped Baynes to Phoenix in what was basically a salary dump.
The guy is an excellent big defender and rim protector. They couldn't have found a use for that, at least situationally?

I believe they were hustling up last minute capspace so they could keep Horford's Caphold and still obtain Kemba. I believe they could have signed Kemba outright, without the Rozier sign and trade, if they renounced Horford's Bird Rights. Once they cleared Baynes and did the sign-and-trade, they could get both players. But Horford screwed them and left anyway.

Considering how they treated his teammate IT and how they wanted to underpay him, why would he be loyal?

Yep. I think a lot of the deception and surprise decisions by their players, last season, is a result of that.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,785

Post#334 » by Curmudgeon » Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:40 pm

Horford's departure was about money, plain and simple. Boston wasn't offering nearly as much as Philly. Ainge upped his offer at the last minute, but Horford had already committed to the Sixers.

The dialogue about "acquiring stars" is just a meaningless cliche. The Warriors didn't acquire stars. They grew them, and had a championship under their belts before a carpetbagging Durant showed up. And winning in the NBA isn't about stars, really. Lot's of teams have stars. Houston has had stars up the wazoo with nothing to show for it. Winning championships is about playing effective team defense. "Stars" are just a product of the NBA's marketing machinery.

Ainge is trying to do the same thing as the Warriors. He may or may not succeed with Tatum and Brown. Stay tuned.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
Gooner
Head Coach
And1: 5,414

Post#335 » by Gooner » Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:56 pm

Curmudgeon wrote:Horford's departure was about money, plain and simple. Boston wasn't offering nearly as much as Philly. Ainge upped his offer at the last minute, but Horford had already committed to the Sixers.

The dialogue about "acquiring stars" is just a meaningless cliche. The Warriors didn't acquire stars. They grew them, and had a championship under their belts before a carpetbagging Durant showed up. And winning in the NBA isn't about stars, really. Lot's of teams have stars. Houston has had stars up the wazoo with nothing to show for it. Winning championships is about playing effective team defense. "Stars" are just a product of the NBA's marketing machinery.

Ainge is trying to do the same thing as the Warriors. He may or may not succeed with Tatum and Brown. Stay tuned.

Ainge planned to trade Tatum and Brown for davis, with bunch of draft picks. He was all in on getting stars. Brown might be traded anyway.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#336 » by SmartWentCrazy » Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:18 pm

LloydFree wrote:
LakersSoul wrote:
LloydFree wrote:I believe they were hustling up last minute capspace so they could keep Horford's Caphold and still obtain Kemba. I believe they could have signed Kemba outright, without the Rozier sign and trade, if they renounced Horford's Bird Rights. Once they cleared Baynes and did the sign-and-trade, they could get both players. But Horford screwed them and left anyway.

Yep. I think a lot of the deception and surprise decisions by their players, last season, is a result of that.

Naw. It had to do with a bad situation where there was a massive divide between young guys and Al vs vets like Morris and Kyrie. Im not going to re-litigate last year, but IT had nothing to do with it —thats just a tired trope by people reaching for criticism of the Celtics.
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,785

Post#337 » by Curmudgeon » Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:10 pm

Gooner wrote:
Curmudgeon wrote:Horford's departure was about money, plain and simple. Boston wasn't offering nearly as much as Philly. Ainge upped his offer at the last minute, but Horford had already committed to the Sixers.

Ainge planned to trade Tatum and Brown for davis, with bunch of draft picks. He was all in on getting stars. Brown might be traded anyway.

He would have traded Tatum for four years of AD. Who wouldn't? But he was not trading Tatum for a one-year rental. And Brown was never in the AD discussion.

But that's water over the dam. Right now the Celtics are built around Tatum, Brown and Smart, along with the two veterans, Hayward and Kemba Walker.

Tatum and Brown are both excellent defenders. They're not just scorers. That's what differentiates them from many other young players drafted in the lat few years.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West

"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells

"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
LakersSoul
Head Coach
And1: 4,486

Post#338 » by LakersSoul » Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:26 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:
LloydFree wrote:
LakersSoul wrote:

Naw. It had to do with a bad situation where there was a massive divide between young guys and Al vs vets like Morris and Kyrie. Im not going to re-litigate last year, but IT had nothing to do with it —thats just a tired trope by people reaching for criticism of the Celtics.

Maybe but Horford passing on Cs has a lot to do with it. I can see more FAs passing on Cs as long as Ainge is the GM.

"Westy, LeBron + AD to rule the West.
Return of the King, the Lakers."
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 62,835

Post#339 » by Celts17Pride » Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:28 pm

LakersSoul wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:
LloydFree wrote:Yep. I think a lot of the deception and surprise decisions by their players, last season, is a result of that.

Maybe but Horford passing on Cs has a lot to do with it. I can see more FAs passing on Cs as long as Ainge is the GM.

Like Kemba Walker :roll:
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#340 » by SmartWentCrazy » Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:29 pm

LakersSoul wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:
LloydFree wrote:Yep. I think a lot of the deception and surprise decisions by their players, last season, is a result of that.

Horford left due to getting a richer contract, not having to play C anymore and playing for an actual contender.

If players were truly worried about it, Kemba wouldnt have signed there. Hell, if players in general were worried about teams making decisions like this, the Clippers wouldnt have been able to pull off both Kawhi and PG after doing Blake like they did him. Its just a manufactured trope.

Return to The General Board