China and the NBA/day 11/ Lebron weighs in

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

LBJVirus218
Senior
And1: 435

Re: China and the NBA/day 10/Harden staying out of it, Curry doesn't know enough, Pop still has no direct comment 

Post#1201 » by LBJVirus218 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:41 am

seewhy wrote:
bgwc wrote:
seewhy wrote:
Funny, you people made a thread with what 60 pages now about China and China bashing but when I turn up and talk about stuff with different perspective and I am the one invading you? Oh well, if you love circle j@rk so much without interruption, I will leave you alone.

Before you leave I don't think you ever answered my first question to you. Are you also a Chinese American like myself? Or are you a Chinese that lives in China? Or just a non-Chinese that is really passionate about the CCP?

I am a Chinese by race but not by nationality. I studied and worked in the US for 20+ years and now left the US to live in Asia. I travel to China a great deal but never lived there permanently. I am just calling out all the ignorance and misinformation I see here.

I think we already admitted that the US isn't perfect. You cant even admit what the CCP is doing in Hong Kong is wrong. Can you admit that at least?
lakerz12
Head Coach
And1: 8,899

Re: China and the NBA/day 10/Harden staying out of it, Curry doesn't know enough, Pop still has no direct comment 

Post#1202 » by lakerz12 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:43 am

Read on Twitter

These are real tweets. LoL. Hopefully some of you guys finally realize you shouldn't look to LeBron for life advice.
Heat3
RealGM
And1: 14,220

Post#1203 » by Heat3 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:44 am

Shameful and embarrassing comments by Lebron. Have some moral consistency or stfu on all topics.

Say what you will about MJ in his day. He did not involve himself one way or another. His bottom line was cash and he stuck to it.

But these current guys?

How are you going to present yourself that you stand for something greater but then kow tow when its china and your business dealings are affected?
Pat Riley wrote:There are only two options regarding commitment. You're either IN or you're OUT. There is no such thing as life in-between.

James Johnson wrote:The culture is REAL.

seewhy
Sophomore
And1: 62

Post#1204 » by seewhy » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:51 am

LBJVirus218 wrote:
seewhy wrote:
bgwc wrote:Before you leave I don't think you ever answered my first question to you. Are you also a Chinese American like myself? Or are you a Chinese that lives in China? Or just a non-Chinese that is really passionate about the CCP?

I am a Chinese by race but not by nationality. I studied and worked in the US for 20+ years and now left the US to live in Asia. I travel to China a great deal but never lived there permanently. I am just calling out all the ignorance and misinformation I see here.

I think we already admitted that the US isn't perfect. You cant even admit what the CCP is doing in Hong Kong is wrong. Can you admit that at least?

eh, can you tell me exactly what Chine has done to HK? Seriously can anyone of you give an informed answer to 1) What has China done in HK that's worse than when HK was under UK rule? 2) What has China done since this protests began? forget about violating HK people's right, has China even done anything in the past 4 month to HK.

Come on, let's see some intelligent answers aside from China baaaaaaad. HK goooooood.
Bayside
Rookie
And1: 610

Post#1205 » by Bayside » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:59 am

seewhy wrote:
LBJVirus218 wrote:
seewhy wrote:

eh, can you tell me exactly what Chine has done to HK? Seriously can anyone of you give an informed answer to 1) What has China done in HK that's worse than when HK was under UK rule? 2) What has China done since this protests began? forget about violating HK people's right, has China even done anything in the past 4 month to HK.

Come on, let's see some intelligent answers aside from China baaaaaaad. HK goooooood.

Dont get baited, it will just be an endless loop. Socratic triangle to lead you to a narrow focus to get to where there was no valid reason for a protest. been doing this with another plant for ages. at some point if the mods dont get a method criteria for getting rid of them we all just need to point out who it is and ignore them. Its a known qty now on social media.
scrabbarista
RealGM
And1: 13,703

Post#1206 » by scrabbarista » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:00 am

seewhy wrote:
scrabbarista wrote:A teeny tiny taste of what's going on in Hong Kong.

Officers admiring what they referred to in a press conference as a "yellow object." (After they were filmed kicking and beating "it" relentlessly.)
Spoiler:

A pleasant ride on the subway. (Some may find disturbing.)

Some ethnic minorities stretching their legs at a train station on their way home from a holiday. This is not in HK, but shows the nature of the government the protesters are protesting.

Local police enjoying some outdoor exercise.

Independent reportage.

Model Confucians demonstrating the Chinese virtue of filial piety.

World-class hospital care for the elderly.

Out for a Sunday drive.

A longform podcast from behind-the-scenes on the ground in Hong Kong. (Gets going after about 5 mins.)

To be honest, I couldn't relocate the most hideous example of violence I've seen on video: a helpless young guy in a blue and bloody pulp, still being beaten on the streets. I also left out the young boy who was shot in the chest, as that could have been construed as an act of self-defense by the police officer. I also decided to leave out the young woman who had her underwear stripped off before she was carried away by six police officers. And many, many other videos. And even more eye-witness and firsthand accounts. There's only so much space here, after all.

HK police stabbed in the neck unprovoked by 2 rioters. And this is NYTime and not China propaganda news. Tell me how if this is the States those rioters won't already get shot at.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/13/world/asia/hong-kong-protests-face-masks.html

I can't read that NYTimes article, because I don't have an account. If your characterization of the event is accurate, then I condemn such violence.

The videos and links I provided are very straightforward and contain little spin or propaganda. If any do contain a subjective perspective, and that perspective happens to take sides against the CCP, I wouldn't blame them.

Here are more than a million protesters acting peacefully. The police have repeatedly and consistently escalated events. In the last few weeks it's reached the point where they're bombarding areas with gas an hour before protesters are scheduled to show up - just firing it at random citizens trying to get some shopping done or grab a bite to eat. On October 1st, police fired 1,400 cannisters of tear gas. On a single day. By their own admission.

And all of this - the links I posted, the article you posted, and my response here - is to say nothing of the twenty years of total unresponsiveness on the part of the HK and Chinese governments whenever the people have tried to effect peaceful change. Nor the steady encroachment on the people's rights. They've tried peaceful protests (Umbrella Movement in 2014), they've tried voting, advocacy, activism, petitions, and every reasonable and civilized course of action. But still they find their freedoms steadily removed. They've finally realized that if they don't act now, their children and grandchildren will grow up in the same techno-dystopia still being perfected on the mainland. They are fighting for their lives.
The man who sleeps on the bed can never fall out of the floor... Winnie the Pooh
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,828

Post#1207 » by RookieStar » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:01 am

Bayside wrote:
seewhy wrote:
LBJVirus218 wrote:I think we already admitted that the US isn't perfect. You cant even admit what the CCP is doing in Hong Kong is wrong. Can you admit that at least?

Dont get baited, it will just be an endless loop. Socratic triangle to lead you to a narrow focus to get to where there was no valid reason for a protest. been doing this with another plant for ages. at some point if the mods dont get a method criteria for getting rid of them we all just need to point out who it is and ignore them. Its a known qty now on social media.

yup that's why I never respond to chibots. Theres one in the current affairs board where he just keeps spinning the discussion round and round. We all know who he is right now so its better to ignore him while he rants.
TLand0026
Ballboy
And1: 13

Post#1208 » by TLand0026 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:03 am

Heat3 wrote:Shameful and embarrassing comments by Lebron. Have some moral consistency or stfu on all topics.

Say what you will about MJ in his day. He did not involve himself one way or another. His bottom line was cash and he stuck to it.

But these current guys?

How are you going to present yourself that you stand for something greater but then kow tow when its china and your business dealings are affected?

Simple... Stand for what I believe when I want you to because I will ostracize you otherwise. However when I tell you to keep your mouth shut you better or I will silence you. It's a lot like religion in some ways...
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,521

Post#1209 » by dhsilv2 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:07 am

lakerz12 wrote:
Read on Twitter

These are real tweets. LoL. Hopefully some of you guys finally realize you shouldn't look to LeBron for life advice.

The second one honestly dead on and accurate as hell.

Now given what lebron said in that interview...hard for me to say he means it beyond "we lost money" but it's an honest and truthful statement.

I dunno about you but I don't expect people who want social justice to fall on their swords either. Lebron is a business man first and always has been. I would assume everyone reads him through that lens. Kerr and Pop are much more the "social" justice guys. Lebron is just a business man.
seewhy
Sophomore

Post#1210 » by seewhy » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:10 am

Bayside wrote:
seewhy wrote:
LBJVirus218 wrote:I think we already admitted that the US isn't perfect. You cant even admit what the CCP is doing in Hong Kong is wrong. Can you admit that at least?

yeah way to go running away, ooooh mod help me cause I can't handle anything doesn't suit my world view.

By the way, there is a valid reason for HK protest. It's their housing price and lack of hope for future. And guess what, it's the HK real estate tycoon working with HK government to restrict housing development project for the average people to keep housing price high and their pocket full. And their lack of hope for future is because they discriminate against China, refuse to work with China on the economic front and create a free trade area with greater China. HK's economy is tied to China like it or not, HK neither have the market nor the full supply chain to do anything big on their own. But HK people choose to keep China away because of their sinophobia.

If you have any clue or some education and world view, you'd know that too.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#1211 » by dhsilv2 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:13 am

Heat3 wrote:Shameful and embarrassing comments by Lebron. Have some moral consistency or stfu on all topics.

But these current guys?

Honestly, this just makes the man human.

Most of us are different people given the context. Lebron wants to have a say in social issues that are near and dear to him and he wants to be a billionaire. So he speaks when it servers both sides or at least doesn't hurt one side. We all do this. Why hold a guy who I doubt anyone here thinks of as a role model or a brilliant person to a higher standard?

If these statement come out of Kerr or Pop I can see a bit more backlash as Pop for sure has built a reputation as a bit more well thought out and Kerr seems to be trying to get there. Lebron? Come on man...he's a smart dude, not brilliant but a smart dude and he's got like MOST of us duel interests in all of this.

Not defending him as yeah he looks bad on this, but it's the kinda contradiction most of us have in life. But again who thought that highly of him to start with? He's just another guy, still young by non basketball standards. he's figuring out life beyond basketball.
seewhy
Sophomore

Post#1212 » by seewhy » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:22 am

scrabbarista wrote:
seewhy wrote:
scrabbarista wrote:A teeny tiny taste of what's going on in Hong Kong.

Officers admiring what they referred to in a press conference as a "yellow object." (After they were filmed kicking and beating "it" relentlessly.)
Spoiler:

A pleasant ride on the subway. (Some may find disturbing.)

Some ethnic minorities stretching their legs at a train station on their way home from a holiday. This is not in HK, but shows the nature of the government the protesters are protesting.

Local police enjoying some outdoor exercise.

Independent reportage.

Model Confucians demonstrating the Chinese virtue of filial piety.

World-class hospital care for the elderly.

Out for a Sunday drive.

A longform podcast from behind-the-scenes on the ground in Hong Kong. (Gets going after about 5 mins.)

To be honest, I couldn't relocate the most hideous example of violence I've seen on video: a helpless young guy in a blue and bloody pulp, still being beaten on the streets. I also left out the young boy who was shot in the chest, as that could have been construed as an act of self-defense by the police officer. I also decided to leave out the young woman who had her underwear stripped off before she was carried away by six police officers. And many, many other videos. And even more eye-witness and firsthand accounts. There's only so much space here, after all.

HK police stabbed in the neck unprovoked by 2 rioters. And this is NYTime and not China propaganda news. Tell me how if this is the States those rioters won't already get shot at.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/13/world/asia/hong-kong-protests-face-masks.html

I can't read that NYTimes article, because I don't have an account. If your characterization of the event is accurate, then I condemn such violence.

The videos and links I provided are very straightforward and contain little spin or propaganda. If any do contain a subjective perspective, and that perspective happens to take sides against the CCP, I wouldn't blame them.

Here are more than a million protesters acting peacefully. The police have repeatedly and consistently escalated events. In the last few weeks it's reached the point where they're bombarding areas with gas an hour before protesters are scheduled to show up - just firing it at random citizens trying to get some shopping done or grab a bite to eat. On October 1st, police fired 1,400 cannisters of tear gas. On a single day. By their own admission.

And all of this - the links I posted, the article you posted, and my response here - is to say nothing of the twenty years of total unresponsiveness on the part of the HK and Chinese governments whenever the people have tried to effect peaceful change. Nor the steady encroachment on the people's rights. They've tried peaceful protests (Umbrella Movement in 2014), they've tried voting, advocacy, activism, petitions, and every reasonable and civilized course of action. But still they find their freedoms steadily removed. They've finally realized that if they don't act now, their children and grandchildren will grow up in the same techno-dystopia still being perfected on the mainland. They are fighting for their lives.

Funny how most rioters are teenagers and early 20s with no children and family. Real HK citizens with children and grand children are sick and tired of the lawless rioters as fewer and fewer are supporting those rioters and those rioters are getting more violent by the day.

Continue to chant your freedom and democracy. But HK had their one country 2 systems with much greater freedom than the average Chinese people. This riot is forcing China's hand to intervene and destroying HK's free society instead of making HK better,
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#1213 » by dhsilv2 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:25 am

LKN wrote:I also find it amusing that high school graduate LBJ is calling Morey - who went to Northwestern for undergrad and got a MBA from MIT "uneducated".

lol,

The context was if he should be punished for his tweet. Seems like the nicest thing possible is to say perhaps he was just not well informed on the topic...with the context of the lost revenue to the league and response. I took this statement so differently when I saw the short version vs the long version! Given the long version context, I don't think this was a dig at all but an "out" he's offering to say it's ok.
scrabbarista
RealGM
And1: 13,703

Post#1214 » by scrabbarista » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:26 am

seewhy wrote:
scrabbarista wrote:
seewhy wrote:

Funny how most rioters are teenagers and early 20s with no children and family. Real HK citizens with children and grand children are sick and tired of the lawless rioters as fewer and fewer are supporting those rioters and those rioters are getting more violent by the day.

Continue to chant your freedom and democracy. But HK had their one country 2 systems with much greater freedom than the average Chinese people. This riot is forcing China's hand to intervene and destroying HK's free society instead of making HK better,

So, what you're saying is... "Riot. Riot, riot, riot, riot. Riot, riot. Riot. Riot, riot, riot, riot. Riot, riot."

Did I get that right?
The man who sleeps on the bed can never fall out of the floor... Winnie the Pooh
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#1215 » by dhsilv2 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:27 am

LKN wrote:
CodeBreaker wrote:LeBron about to win DEFENSIVE player of the year

Read on Twitter

If that's what he meant he really, really, really should have clearly said that. Because he appears to be backpedaling now.

I'm actually kind of shocked he didn't plan this statement better considering that he's usually pretty media saavy

I think that was clear in the context of the 7 minute interview...
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#1216 » by dhsilv2 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:28 am

LKN wrote:HAHAHAHAHAHA

Read on Twitter
?s=20

This is beyond misleading to the context of what was said!
LKN
General Manager
And1: 15,580

Post#1217 » by LKN » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:31 am

dhsilv2 wrote:
LKN wrote:
CodeBreaker wrote:LeBron about to win DEFENSIVE player of the year

Read on Twitter

If that's what he meant he really, really, really should have clearly said that. Because he appears to be backpedaling now.

I'm actually kind of shocked he didn't plan this statement better considering that he's usually pretty media saavy

I will freely admit I did not see the whole interview.... so you could be correct. It certainly would not shock me if he were taken out of context :D.

Still discretion is the better part of valor. Silver should have just told everyone to STFU about all this... another week and it would have all been forgotten
seewhy
Sophomore

Post#1218 » by seewhy » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:35 am

scrabbarista wrote:
seewhy wrote:
scrabbarista wrote:

So, what you're saying is... "Riot. Riot, riot, riot, riot. Riot, riot. Riot. Riot, riot, riot, riot. Riot, riot."

Did I get that right?

yes and if you don't know there are riots going on in HK, either your eyes are blind or you just refuse to look.
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#1219 » by Illmatic12 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:35 am

But these current guys?

The thing is, MJ didn't start making *real* money until after he retired.
It's hard to reach the level of wealth these guys wanna get to while still being in the spotlight. There's a reason why the wealthiest guys in the world are people you've never heard of..

At this point Lebron doesn't need to prove whether or not he's more than an athlete, clearly he is if millions of people can see that he's an off-court mogul with an international brand and business interests. He wants to leave his legacy as paving the way for other entrepreneurial NBA players after him to create wealth , and protecting the revenue streams of the NBA is part of that mission. If he's gotta be the bad guy then so be it, he's willing to wear that hat. Most people in his position would do the same - we all weigh certain compromises in our lives on a daily basis.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#1220 » by dhsilv2 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:37 am

LKN wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
LKN wrote:

I will freely admit I did not see the whole interview.... so you could be correct. It certainly would not shock me if he were taken out of context :D.

Still discretion is the better part of valor. Silver should have just told everyone to STFU about all this... another week and it would have all been forgotten

There's a thread on just this with the full interview. Given the context it changed my view of this question. I mean, I still think lebron should have said less, but meh not him. Given I see lebron as a guy with like I dunno a 115-120 IQ and poor education (at least the foundation), I don't tend to be to judgement on all that. He's a 30 something guy who's still learning how to do this stuff, like MOST 30 somethings. That's why in one's 30's you're in lower or middle management if you're doing well in your career. No upper management, you've not refined those skills yet.

Return to The General Board