China and the NBA/day 11/ Lebron weighs in

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

CodeBreaker
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,209

Re: China and the NBA/day 10/Harden staying out of it, Curry doesn't know enough, Pop still has no direct comment 

Post#1221 » by CodeBreaker » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:40 am

LKN wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
LKN wrote:
If that's what he meant he really, really, really should have clearly said that. Because he appears to be backpedaling now.

I'm actually kind of shocked he didn't plan this statement better considering that he's usually pretty media saavy

I think that was clear in the context of the 7 minute interview...

I will freely admit I did not see the whole interview.... so you could be correct. It certainly would not shock me if he were taken out of context :D.

Still discretion is the better part of valor. Silver should have just told everyone to STFU about all this... another week and it would have all been forgotten

Yea, the issue was fading... and then here comes LeBron waking everyone up lol
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,518

Re: China and the NBA/day 10/Harden staying out of it, Curry doesn't know enough, Pop still has no direct comment 

Post#1222 » by dhsilv2 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:45 am

CodeBreaker wrote:
LKN wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
I think that was clear in the context of the 7 minute interview...

I will freely admit I did not see the whole interview.... so you could be correct. It certainly would not shock me if he were taken out of context :D.

Still discretion is the better part of valor. Silver should have just told everyone to STFU about all this... another week and it would have all been forgotten

Yea, the issue was fading... and then here comes LeBron waking everyone up lol

He didn't trigger china...hell maybe he helped there.

The US issues with it...well that's a nothing to the nba. There are a few people who are going to take offense, they're meaningless in the NBA's model. This was a love fest for china without being directly one and if US officials complain...hell those are some of the least liked people in the country. A huge doesn't matter.
seewhy
Sophomore
And1: 62

Post#1223 » by seewhy » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:46 am

Illmatic12 wrote:
Heat3 wrote:Shameful and embarrassing comments by Lebron. Have some moral consistency or stfu on all topics.

Say what you will about MJ in his day. He did not involve himself one way or another. His bottom line was cash and he stuck to it.

But these current guys?

How are you going to present yourself that you stand for something greater but then kow tow when its china and your business dealings are affected?

The thing is, MJ didn't start making *real* money until after he retired.
It's hard to reach the level of wealth these guys wanna get to while still being in the spotlight. There's a reason why the wealthiest guys in the world are people you've never heard of..

At this point Lebron doesn't need to prove whether or not he's more than an athlete, clearly he is if millions of people can see that he's an off-court mogul with an international brand and business interests. He wants to leave his legacy as paving the way for other entrepreneurial NBA players after him to create wealth , and protecting the revenue streams of the NBA is part of that mission. If he's gotta be the bad guy then so be it, he's willing to wear that hat. Most people in his position would do the same - we all weigh certain compromises in our lives on a daily basis.

And it's not about being the bad guy and protecting the revenue stream. For every person, there are going to be issues he knows and care about. For the rest of issues, maybe it's not close to his heart or he just don't know enough, or he feels he is not in the position to comment because it is another country's issue and best left to that country's people to resolve.

But we know there are people either hated Lebron for voicing his opinion about issues he cares about, or want the whole world to support their anti-China bias. And this whole Lebron witch hunt is the result.
LAL
Sixth Man
And1: 2,860

Post#1224 » by LAL » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:50 am

bs_and_cs wrote:I'm not sure some people understand just how shocking it is that the most famous basketball player in the world just went to bat for the Chinese government all while ripping one of his colleagues who was actually standing up for human rights.....

Oh they understand it, they just aren’t surprised by it as they’ve seen through the facade all along...
scrabbarista
RealGM
And1: 13,703

Post#1225 » by scrabbarista » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:15 am

seewhy wrote:
Illmatic12 wrote:
Heat3 wrote:Shameful and embarrassing comments by Lebron. Have some moral consistency or stfu on all topics.

Say what you will about MJ in his day. He did not involve himself one way or another. His bottom line was cash and he stuck to it.

But these current guys?

How are you going to present yourself that you stand for something greater but then kow tow when its china and your business dealings are affected?

The thing is, MJ didn't start making *real* money until after he retired.
It's hard to reach the level of wealth these guys wanna get to while still being in the spotlight. There's a reason why the wealthiest guys in the world are people you've never heard of..

At this point Lebron doesn't need to prove whether or not he's more than an athlete, clearly he is if millions of people can see that he's an off-court mogul with an international brand and business interests. He wants to leave his legacy as paving the way for other entrepreneurial NBA players after him to create wealth , and protecting the revenue streams of the NBA is part of that mission. If he's gotta be the bad guy then so be it, he's willing to wear that hat. Most people in his position would do the same - we all weigh certain compromises in our lives on a daily basis.

And it's not about being the bad guy and protecting the revenue stream. For every person, there are going to be issues he knows and care about. For the rest of issues, maybe it's not close to his heart or he just don't know enough, or he feels he is not in the position to comment because it is another country's issue and best left to that country's people to resolve.

But we know there are people either hated Lebron for voicing his opinion about issues he cares about, or want the whole world to support their anti-China bias. And this whole Lebron witch hunt is the result.

Wait. You're not making any sense. You're saying one shouldn't comment on another country's issues, but you've claimed several times in these threads to speak on behalf of the 1.4 billion people of China, repeatedly saying that you know their likes and desires - although you aren't from China.

Second, if LeBron doesn't know enough, why is he calling someone else misinformed? Does he know enough to know who is informed and misinformed, or doesn't he? The "fully informed" defense doesn't work.

Third, LeBron quoted MLK has saying that injustice should be spoken up about "no matter where it is." He didn't say, "but only if it's close to your heart." He can pick one or the other, "no matter where," or "close to your heart," but if he tries to have it both ways, people will call him out for hypocrisy, which is what happened tonight. The "close to your heart" defense doesn't work.

As for anti-China bias, how are any of the informed among us supposed to take you seriously when you repeatedly insist on making the Chinese Communist Party synonymous with China? When you do so, you only reveal your full indoctrination in Party propaganda. Nine times out of ten, the ones criticizing "China" the most are those who love the Chinese people the most and want nothing for them but life and liberty. But then, I know your real audience is not the informed among us. You wish to change the minds of those who don't know enough yet to see the games you're playing.
The man who sleeps on the bed can never fall out of the floor... Winnie the Pooh
seewhy
Sophomore
And1: 62

Post#1226 » by seewhy » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:41 am

scrabbarista wrote:
seewhy wrote:
Illmatic12 wrote:The thing is, MJ didn't start making *real* money until after he retired.

Wait. You're not making any sense. You're saying one shouldn't comment on another country's issues, but you've claimed several times in these threads to speak on behalf of the 1.4 billion people of China, repeatedly saying that you know their likes and desires - although you aren't from China.

Second, if LeBron doesn't know enough, why is he calling someone else misinformed? Does he know enough to know who is informed and misinformed, or doesn't he? The "fully informed" defense doesn't work.

Third, LeBron quoted MLK has saying that injustice should be spoken up about "no matter where it is." He didn't say, "but only if it's close to your heart." He can pick one or the other, "no matter where," or "close to your heart," but if he tries to have it both ways, people will call him out for hypocrisy, which is what happened tonight. The "close to your heart" defense doesn't work.

As for anti-China bias, how are any of the informed among us supposed to take you seriously when you repeatedly insist on making the Chinese Communist Party synonymous with China? When you do so, you only reveal your full indoctrination in Party propaganda. Nine times out of ten, the ones criticizing "China" the most are those who love the Chinese people the most and want nothing for them but life and liberty. But then, I know your real audience is not the informed among us. You wish to change the minds of those who don't know enough yet to see the games you're playing.

I am not Chinese citizen, but I am Chinese by heritage, speak Chinese, with plenty of Chinese friends from Chinese businesses, Chinese government (no, not political figures but ministry officials who plan and run the country), I read Chinese news and western news, I have dual masters degree from US universities, and I work in senior management for a global bank with operations all over the world including China. I believe that qualifies me to discuss Chinese issue than 99.9% of American.

LeBron doesn't know enough about China doesn't mean he doesn't know Morey, what Morey knows about China and the HK situation, how much exposure Morey had with China, Chinese people, and the topic of HK protest. Very simple logic, hope even you can understand that.

And you assume HK-China issue is injustice, or Lebron know enough about it to determine it's injustice. Oh and I am sure you people can write a whole lot about how this protest is injustice without actually having a deep understanding of the social economic problems in HK. So, what ever you want to believe.

And lastly, show me a great majority of Chinese is not happy about CCP and I will tell you sorry CCP doesn't represent the Chinese people in China, fair enough?

Frankly I don't care who reads my post or whose mind I've changed. I am here to post perspectives from outside of the US and expose those posting misiformation to feed their ulterior motives.
scrabbarista
RealGM
And1: 13,703

Post#1227 » by scrabbarista » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:48 am

seewhy wrote:
scrabbarista wrote:
seewhy wrote:

I am not Chinese citizen, but I am Chinese by heritage, speak Chinese, with plenty of Chinese friends from Chinese businesses, Chinese government (no, not political figures but ministry officials who plan and run the country), I read Chinese news and western news, I have dual masters degree from US universities, and I work in senior management for a global bank with operations all over the world including China. I believe that qualifies me to discuss Chinese issue than 99.9% of American.

LeBron doesn't know enough about China doesn't mean he doesn't know Morey, what Morey knows about China and the HK situation, how much exposure Morey had with China, Chinese people, and the topic of HK protest. Very simple logic, hope even you can understand that.

And you assume HK-China issue is injustice, or Lebron know enough about it to determine it's injustice. Oh and I am sure you people can write a whole lot about how this protest is injustice without actually having a deep understanding of the social economic problems in HK. So, what ever you want to believe.

And lastly, show me a great majority of Chinese is not happy about CCP and I will tell you sorry CCP doesn't represent the Chinese people in China, fair enough?

Frankly I don't care who reads my post or whose mind I've changed. I am here to post perspectives from outside of the US and expose those posting misiformation to feed their ulterior motives.

But it's not your country. You're still contradicting yourself.
The man who sleeps on the bed can never fall out of the floor... Winnie the Pooh

Return to The General Board