China and the NBA/day 10/Harden staying out of it, Curry doesn't know enough, Pop still has no direct comment

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, Domejandro, zimpy27, bwgood77, BombsquadSammy, Yuri Vaultin, PockyCandy, Prez

The feud is dying. How do you feel?

Relieved. Beyond bored with the China stuff.
2
12%
I don't think it's dead. Someone else will speak out and create new waves.
10
59%
I'm sad man. What will I write about on realgm when this topic dies completely?
5
29%
 
Total votes: 17

AZNKidd
Freshman
Posts: 77
And1: 45
Joined: Dec 29, 2016
 

Re: China and the NBA / Ongoing discussion (day 6)... 

Post#341 » by AZNKidd » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:05 pm

hongdayuan wrote:Regardless if china’s reaction is necessary or not, they have every right to choose who to do business with. Some of you talk abt freedom of speech like if China has put morey in prison. They just decided to cut business ties with the NBA, which would cost the nba to lose billions.

It’s easy to point fingers to silver, coaches and players, when you got nothing to lose. One word come outta their mouth wrong and millions are gone. If salary cap drops next season due to this and every team is in cap hell, who do you blame? China for rightfully cutting their business ties or morey for tweeting his mind out that led to this?


Haha doing business with China is like dating his high maintenance emotionally sensitive woman, high price to pay to keep her happy or sad. Most nba fans don’t really give a flying flip about the financial standing of the NBA because it makes a killing regardless. But if you want to talk of a strictly economics and p&l perspective, it’s also financially irrational for China to forgo relationship with the NBA. Westerns will always have their ideas about the CCP and (according to most Chinese ppls logic) these westerner ideas of the CCP will never diminish the undying and unwavering love of the Chinese people to their beloved party. So wouldn’t it be financially rational as well for China to keep ties with the business?
User avatar
GREY 1769
Forum Mod - Spurs
Forum Mod - Spurs
Posts: 16,150
And1: 14,068
Joined: Mar 17, 2010
Location: Silver and Black; Blue and White
   

Re: China and the NBA / Ongoing discussion (day 6)... 

Post#342 » by GREY 1769 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:06 pm

G35 wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
fbalmeida wrote:With this debacle, the bug of self-censorship, specifically the suppression of public criticism of the PRC within the NBA, has peered its ugly head into the public square.

It needs to be crushed like a cockroach, immediately, impeccably, and without hesitation. Freedom of speech is too important.

If Adam Silver condones the recent blocking reporters when they ask legitimate questions, or kicking out fans with signs in support of Hong Kong protesters, he should resign.


You really want to pay 100 bucks for a ticket to a game to have someone protesting next to you?

Look, I have the right to say a heck of a lot of things. I however self censor myself at work (maybe not as much as I should but still). I'm not going to common a female co worker's body or clothing. I'm not going to discuss if I went out drinking till 3am the night before. I'm also not going to shove my politics down their throats either. If someone asks, sure I might offer it up and sure I might make less aggressive and adamant statements, but again I'm going to be tactful.

This is how adults act. The reason so many people get annoyed with politics in sports is simply because people don't want politics in their entertainment. The nba should be aware of this and hopefully players and coaches keep their views limited. While sure some have been more expressive on issues they felt passionately about, I'm not sure where most athletes stand on any issue. I have zero idea where Pop stands on how to price metro area parking, how he wants to address taxes for roads with more and more cars going electric, is views on the 3 tier alcohol distribution system in most states, the illegality of shipping alcohol to Texas (he's a big wine guy so I'm rather sure he's got an opinion). It's ok I don't know these views from him and it's also OK that he has expressed his thoughts on our current president. He felt that was an issue he needed to speak on, great. He doesn't feel the need to discuss other issues, maybe he's just not as passionate about them? We're all allowed to be more or less passionate about some topics right? If I want to end AIDs am I a jerk for not talking as much about ending cancer or ALS?




The only problem I have with Kerr, Pop, Curry, Lebron, or whoever is that if you start talking politics don't back off when it gets to a topic that you are uncomfortable talking about.

The internet never forgets.

So once you start down a path, there's no turning back.

That is why politics should not be a part of sports. Sports (and to a lighter extent) entertainment should not have politics in them. We use to know that in this country. I was just watching Terminator and Terminator 2 and you could see there were some social justice themes in the movie, but they made the movie in a way that it did not detract from the entertainment.

Now, politics are the main theme, and it seems like sports and entertainment are the sidebars. Its a turn off as a fan, just because you are talented in one aspect of life does not make you an expert or your opinion the guide for society.

When I was a teenager I was influenced by entertainers, now as an adult, I would rather form my own opinions without all the rhetoric......

I don't think 1. that's apples to apples and 2. this is the correct context. Kerr, Pop, and LeBron are US citizens and speak openly about US issues. I don't know that they've been outspoken about foreign affairs with any consistency or to what extent. If they were, and then remained silent about China (and two of them haven't even if people don't like what was said), then sure, but as it stands, Kerr went the 'more knowledge to seek' route and Pop voiced support for Silver's second statement that stood up for the right of NBA personnel speaking out about issues important to them, essentially publicly willing to take a financial hit for making a clearer stand of its values.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
lakerz12
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,240
And1: 5,512
Joined: Jan 29, 2006
Contact:
     

Re: China and the NBA / Ongoing discussion (day 6)... 

Post#343 » by lakerz12 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:13 pm

Czarking wrote:
fbalmeida wrote:
Czarking wrote:
As a Chinese person from Hong Kong, I did find Morey's comment irresponsible, ignorant and highly misinformed. I can also tell you that most Chinese fans and people in China are united in our support of the Chinese government's tough stance towards the NBA.

My wife and I share the opinion that the Chinese government's reaction to Morey's remarks, while a bit extreme, is also understandable. We side with the Chinese government because his comments add fuel to a crisis that is already hurting our country and city's social stability.

I love my country. So to hear people making ill-informed and deeply ignorant remarks about my city's internal affairs does bother me, as it does to a lot of people in China.

Don't forget, the NBA profits from the jerseys we buy, the subscription fee we pay to watch NBA games, and the exhibition matches we attend. It's not cheap either.

So if you're earning our country's hard earned cash, I reckon it's only fair you respect our culture, values, people by refraining from making ignorant and senseless remarks.

Just because it's okay in your culture, doesn't mean it's okay in mine.

Do you even know the first thing about what is actually happening in HK? Or are you just getting your information and making snap judgements based on garbage news sources such as the Clinton News Network (CNN) and Trump TV (Fox)? I do. And I can tell you it's nothing like what is being portrayed in the propaganda machine that is the Western media.

Freedom of speech doesn't mean you can say whatever you want without inhibition or respect for cultural norms. If that were true, it would mean I am free to make racial slurs against people of colour. Why not? That's my right to free speech no?

Sent from my SM-C9000 using RealGM mobile app


Criticizing government violates a cultural norm?


See, this is why I said what's okay in your culture, doesn't mean is okay in my culture.

Have you ever stopped to consider that US culture isn't the same as Chinese culture?

In the US, it's an us vs the government mentality. Most people view the government and its politicians with suspicion, just look at how divided your country is towards the Trump administration. Heck, the US constitution exists to protect the people from the government, such as the right to bear arms to 'overthrow' the government and prevent state intrusion into individual lives. Essentially, it's a document that tells the federal government to leave people the F alone.

Now in China, the culture is different. Our society is modeled after Confucian values. The head of the family is the father, who provides for his wife and his children. The head of our government is the Communist party, who provides for the Chinese population and ensures their prosperity.

In China, family and the government are indistinguishable. Even the Chinese word for country is called '国家', which translates as 'Country home'. There is a saying, 'Without our country, there is no home'.

In the US, the individual is the individual, and the state is the state. The individual keeps the state at arm's length as much as possible, in case the state tries to intrude on the individual's civil liberties.

We don't have that 'Us vs them' mentality in China. Which is why when you make ignorant and irresponsible remarks about Hong Kong, you are commenting on our country's national sovereignty, which is a direct jab to our government, home, and our national pride.

This kind of stuff may fly in your country, but it's not cool in ours. This is our culture, respect it and understand that what isn't offensive to the average American citizen, may be offensive to other cultures.


There are roughly 3.8 million people living in the U.S. who are of Chinese descent.

So obviously not all Chinese people share your 'Without our country, there is no home' philosophy.

Americans value freedom. When your government denies people freedom, that is offensive to us. But I wouldn't expect it just to change because we're offended.

We are free to criticize your state and your culture. Truth should be the highest priority. Not avoiding offensive things.
cl2117
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,536
And1: 3,675
Joined: Jun 14, 2013
 

Re: China and the NBA / Ongoing discussion (day 6)... 

Post#344 » by cl2117 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:15 pm

Czarking wrote:
Coachcavplaya23 wrote:
Czarking wrote:
As a Chinese person from Hong Kong, I did find Morey's comment irresponsible, ignorant and highly misinformed. I can also tell you that most Chinese fans and people in China are united in our support of the Chinese government's tough stance towards the NBA.

My wife and I share the opinion that the Chinese government's reaction to Morey's remarks, while a bit extreme, is also understandable. We side with the Chinese government because his comments add fuel to a crisis that is already hurting our country and city's social stability.

I love my country. So to hear people making ill-informed and deeply ignorant remarks about my city's internal affairs does bother me, as it does to a lot of people in China.

Don't forget, the NBA profits from the jerseys we buy, the subscription fee we pay to watch NBA games, and the exhibition matches we attend. It's not cheap either.

So if you're earning our country's hard earned cash, I reckon it's only fair you respect our culture, values, people by refraining from making ignorant and senseless remarks.

Just because it's okay in your culture, doesn't mean it's okay in mine.

Do you even know the first thing about what is actually happening in HK? Or are you just getting your information and making snap judgements based on garbage news sources such as the Clinton News Network (CNN) and Trump TV (Fox)? I do. And I can tell you it's nothing like what is being portrayed in the propaganda machine that is the Western media.

Freedom of speech doesn't mean you can say whatever you want without inhibition or respect for cultural norms. If that were true, it would mean I am free to make racial slurs against people of colour. Why not? That's my right to free speech no?

Sent from my SM-C9000 using RealGM mobile app


Honestly you think China's reactions is a just a "bit extreme"? It is more like the biggest overreaction this planet has ever witnessed. They are throwing the biggest temper tantrum. Someone tweeted from another country then go ahead and suspend all Rocket's games, people are cancelling subscriptions and suspending ties to the NBA. No offense but China needs to calm the **** down here and stop overreacting because it got its feeling hurt over a simple tweet.

You are talking about China's culture and values when its government is attacking people with tear gas, beating people and arresting people on a daily basis in HK. That country and the culture you love so much needs a wake up call buddy. Your goverrment and its people are soft as hell. You may not like it but China is in the wrong here and the entire world knows it.


Buddy, did you just say that the government is attacking people with tear gas, beating people and arresting people on a daily basis? Typical 'Murica' BS, and as usual, Americans telling people in Asia how to run their own society.

This just goes to show how grossly misinformed you are about what is actually happening on the ground. You need to change your diet, and stop consuming the laxative-laced crap and literal verbal diarrhea that CNN, Fox News or ABC is feeding you.

Videos and pictures speak a thousand words. This video was independently developed by a simple group of people who love our city and country. No State-run media, no biased news agencies as you so claim, just cold hard facts.

I won't say anymore on this matter, because it's pointless to explain the situation with people who don't even bother to review credible sources of information to create a fully well-informed view of the entire picture, and instead choose to make unintelligent comments and conclusions about a country they don't even live in. Also, Seaduck, this video alone sums up my views and answers your question, well part of it at least.

Because everything that is about 'freedom and democracy' is always right, and politics is so simple huh?



Found the CCP troll.

a) Your country is committing a literal holocaust. GTFOH with your "cultural differences". If that's your culture, yours doesn't deserve to exist.

b) Videos and pictures do speak a thousand words and there are thousands of videos and pictures showing your govt. funded stooges attacking protesters. Protesters are fighting back, absolutely, but so did Jews and occupied countries against the Nazis. I'm sure you would have looked down on them too.

Ethnic cleansing of Uyghurs, organ harvesting, re-education camps, no freedom to argue against the govt. It's a dystopian hellscape. There is no defending it. There's a reason Russia and China are North Korea's only allies. Y'all arent' that dissimilar. Nothing against the Chinese, just your govt. Straight up evil.

Free Hong Kong.
UHar_Vinnie wrote:If you don't lean forward while hugging a dude, you are gonna have a wiener touching incident. You know this.
hongdayuan
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,576
And1: 1,401
Joined: Jul 21, 2009

Re: China and the NBA / Ongoing discussion (day 6)... 

Post#345 » by hongdayuan » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:17 pm

AZNKidd wrote:
hongdayuan wrote:Regardless if china’s reaction is necessary or not, they have every right to choose who to do business with. Some of you talk abt freedom of speech like if China has put morey in prison. They just decided to cut business ties with the NBA, which would cost the nba to lose billions.

It’s easy to point fingers to silver, coaches and players, when you got nothing to lose. One word come outta their mouth wrong and millions are gone. If salary cap drops next season due to this and every team is in cap hell, who do you blame? China for rightfully cutting their business ties or morey for tweeting his mind out that led to this?


Haha doing business with China is like dating his high maintenance emotionally sensitive woman, high price to pay to keep her happy or sad. Most nba fans don’t really give a flying flip about the financial standing of the NBA because it makes a killing regardless. But if you want to talk of a strictly economics and p&l perspective, it’s also financially irrational for China to forgo relationship with the NBA. Westerns will always have their ideas about the CCP and (according to most Chinese ppls logic) these westerner ideas of the CCP will never diminish the undying and unwavering love of the Chinese people to their beloved party. So wouldn’t it be financially rational as well for China to keep ties with the business?


That’s a choice up to China to make. The NBA also has the right to stand strong and not bow down. Both sides are losing financially, but the fact that China isn’t budging and NBA has remained silent kinna shows you who’s hurting more out of this.
User avatar
GWVan
Starter
Posts: 2,290
And1: 1,165
Joined: Dec 12, 2002
Location: The world's most famous beach
 

Re: China and the NBA / Ongoing discussion (day 6)... 

Post#346 » by GWVan » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:18 pm

Full of sound and fury; signifying nothing
Collymore
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,869
And1: 2,353
Joined: May 29, 2011

Re: China and the NBA / Ongoing discussion (day 6)... 

Post#347 » by Collymore » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:18 pm

Czarking wrote:
Coachcavplaya23 wrote:
Czarking wrote:
As a Chinese person from Hong Kong, I did find Morey's comment irresponsible, ignorant and highly misinformed. I can also tell you that most Chinese fans and people in China are united in our support of the Chinese government's tough stance towards the NBA.

My wife and I share the opinion that the Chinese government's reaction to Morey's remarks, while a bit extreme, is also understandable. We side with the Chinese government because his comments add fuel to a crisis that is already hurting our country and city's social stability.

I love my country. So to hear people making ill-informed and deeply ignorant remarks about my city's internal affairs does bother me, as it does to a lot of people in China.

Don't forget, the NBA profits from the jerseys we buy, the subscription fee we pay to watch NBA games, and the exhibition matches we attend. It's not cheap either.

So if you're earning our country's hard earned cash, I reckon it's only fair you respect our culture, values, people by refraining from making ignorant and senseless remarks.

Just because it's okay in your culture, doesn't mean it's okay in mine.

Do you even know the first thing about what is actually happening in HK? Or are you just getting your information and making snap judgements based on garbage news sources such as the Clinton News Network (CNN) and Trump TV (Fox)? I do. And I can tell you it's nothing like what is being portrayed in the propaganda machine that is the Western media.

Freedom of speech doesn't mean you can say whatever you want without inhibition or respect for cultural norms. If that were true, it would mean I am free to make racial slurs against people of colour. Why not? That's my right to free speech no?

Sent from my SM-C9000 using RealGM mobile app


Honestly you think China's reactions is a just a "bit extreme"? It is more like the biggest overreaction this planet has ever witnessed. They are throwing the biggest temper tantrum. Someone tweeted from another country then go ahead and suspend all Rocket's games, people are cancelling subscriptions and suspending ties to the NBA. No offense but China needs to calm the **** down here and stop overreacting because it got its feeling hurt over a simple tweet.

You are talking about China's culture and values when its government is attacking people with tear gas, beating people and arresting people on a daily basis in HK. That country and the culture you love so much needs a wake up call buddy. Your goverrment and its people are soft as hell. You may not like it but China is in the wrong here and the entire world knows it.


Buddy, did you just say that the government is attacking people with tear gas, beating people and arresting people on a daily basis? Typical 'Murica' BS, and as usual, Americans telling people in Asia how to run their own society.

This just goes to show how grossly misinformed you are about what is actually happening on the ground. You need to change your diet, and stop consuming the laxative-laced crap and literal verbal diarrhea that CNN, Fox News or ABC is feeding you.

Videos and pictures speak a thousand words. This video was independently developed by a simple group of people who love our city and country. No State-run media, no biased news agencies as you so claim, just cold hard facts.

I won't say anymore on this matter, because it's pointless to explain the situation with people who don't even bother to review credible sources of information to create a fully well-informed view of the entire picture, and instead choose to make unintelligent comments and conclusions about a country they don't even live in. Also, Seaduck, this video alone sums up my views and answers your question, well part of it at least.

Because everything that is about 'freedom and democracy' is always right, and politics is so simple huh?


You know you are in for some seriously biased stuff everytime you see a title containing "The truth about".
Czarking
Ballboy
Posts: 15
And1: 5
Joined: Mar 26, 2019

Re: China and the NBA / Ongoing discussion (day 6)... 

Post#348 » by Czarking » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:23 pm

cl2117 wrote:
Czarking wrote:
Coachcavplaya23 wrote:
Honestly you think China's reactions is a just a "bit extreme"? It is more like the biggest overreaction this planet has ever witnessed. They are throwing the biggest temper tantrum. Someone tweeted from another country then go ahead and suspend all Rocket's games, people are cancelling subscriptions and suspending ties to the NBA. No offense but China needs to calm the **** down here and stop overreacting because it got its feeling hurt over a simple tweet.

You are talking about China's culture and values when its government is attacking people with tear gas, beating people and arresting people on a daily basis in HK. That country and the culture you love so much needs a wake up call buddy. Your goverrment and its people are soft as hell. You may not like it but China is in the wrong here and the entire world knows it.


Buddy, did you just say that the government is attacking people with tear gas, beating people and arresting people on a daily basis? Typical 'Murica' BS, and as usual, Americans telling people in Asia how to run their own society.

This just goes to show how grossly misinformed you are about what is actually happening on the ground. You need to change your diet, and stop consuming the laxative-laced crap and literal verbal diarrhea that CNN, Fox News or ABC is feeding you.

Videos and pictures speak a thousand words. This video was independently developed by a simple group of people who love our city and country. No State-run media, no biased news agencies as you so claim, just cold hard facts.

I won't say anymore on this matter, because it's pointless to explain the situation with people who don't even bother to review credible sources of information to create a fully well-informed view of the entire picture, and instead choose to make unintelligent comments and conclusions about a country they don't even live in. Also, Seaduck, this video alone sums up my views and answers your question, well part of it at least.

Because everything that is about 'freedom and democracy' is always right, and politics is so simple huh?



Found the CCP troll.

a) Your country is committing a literal holocaust. GTFOH with your "cultural differences". If that's your culture, yours doesn't deserve to exist.

b) Videos and pictures do speak a thousand words and there are thousands of videos and pictures showing your govt. funded stooges attacking protesters. Protesters are fighting back, absolutely, but so did Jews and occupied countries against the Nazis. I'm sure you would have looked down on them too.

Ethnic cleansing of Uyghurs, organ harvesting, re-education camps, no freedom to argue against the govt. It's a dystopian hellscape. There is no defending it. There's a reason Russia and China are North Korea's only allies. Y'all arent' that dissimilar. Nothing against the Chinese, just your govt. Straight up evil.

Free Hong Kong.


Nice try Bud. Come back to me later when you can explain how your corrupted country has the moral high ground when you have invaded, pillaged and destroyed whole countries, from wiping Iraq off the face of the Earth, to reducing Syria to literal rubble and causing Libya to cease to exist as a country, displacing millions of people in the Middle East because your country has a hard-on for oil and war. :)

Before you start criticizing us based on your own ignorant interpretation of biased news coverage, why don't you fix your own mess first, and the other countries you have destroyed in the name of freedom and democracy?
AZNKidd
Freshman
Posts: 77
And1: 45
Joined: Dec 29, 2016
 

Re: China and the NBA / Ongoing discussion (day 6)... 

Post#349 » by AZNKidd » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:26 pm

Czarking wrote:
cl2117 wrote:
Czarking wrote:
Buddy, did you just say that the government is attacking people with tear gas, beating people and arresting people on a daily basis? Typical 'Murica' BS, and as usual, Americans telling people in Asia how to run their own society.

This just goes to show how grossly misinformed you are about what is actually happening on the ground. You need to change your diet, and stop consuming the laxative-laced crap and literal verbal diarrhea that CNN, Fox News or ABC is feeding you.

Videos and pictures speak a thousand words. This video was independently developed by a simple group of people who love our city and country. No State-run media, no biased news agencies as you so claim, just cold hard facts.

I won't say anymore on this matter, because it's pointless to explain the situation with people who don't even bother to review credible sources of information to create a fully well-informed view of the entire picture, and instead choose to make unintelligent comments and conclusions about a country they don't even live in. Also, Seaduck, this video alone sums up my views and answers your question, well part of it at least.

Because everything that is about 'freedom and democracy' is always right, and politics is so simple huh?



Found the CCP troll.

a) Your country is committing a literal holocaust. GTFOH with your "cultural differences". If that's your culture, yours doesn't deserve to exist.

b) Videos and pictures do speak a thousand words and there are thousands of videos and pictures showing your govt. funded stooges attacking protesters. Protesters are fighting back, absolutely, but so did Jews and occupied countries against the Nazis. I'm sure you would have looked down on them too.

Ethnic cleansing of Uyghurs, organ harvesting, re-education camps, no freedom to argue against the govt. It's a dystopian hellscape. There is no defending it. There's a reason Russia and China are North Korea's only allies. Y'all arent' that dissimilar. Nothing against the Chinese, just your govt. Straight up evil.

Free Hong Kong.


Nice try Bud. Come back to me later when you can explain how your corrupted country has the moral high ground when you have invaded, pillaged and destroyed whole countries, from wiping Iraq off the face of the Earth, to reducing Syria to literal rubble and causing Libya to cease to exist as a country, displacing millions of people in the Middle East because your country has a hard-on for oil and war. :)

Before you start criticizing us based on your own ignorant interpretation of biased news coverage, why don't you fix your own mess first, and the other countries you have destroyed in the name of freedom and democracy?


Whataboutism, “bud”.
Czarking
Ballboy
Posts: 15
And1: 5
Joined: Mar 26, 2019

Re: China and the NBA / Ongoing discussion (day 6)... 

Post#350 » by Czarking » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:27 pm

Czarking wrote:
cl2117 wrote:
Czarking wrote:
Buddy, did you just say that the government is attacking people with tear gas, beating people and arresting people on a daily basis? Typical 'Murica' BS, and as usual, Americans telling people in Asia how to run their own society.

This just goes to show how grossly misinformed you are about what is actually happening on the ground. You need to change your diet, and stop consuming the laxative-laced crap and literal verbal diarrhea that CNN, Fox News or ABC is feeding you.

Videos and pictures speak a thousand words. This video was independently developed by a simple group of people who love our city and country. No State-run media, no biased news agencies as you so claim, just cold hard facts.

I won't say anymore on this matter, because it's pointless to explain the situation with people who don't even bother to review credible sources of information to create a fully well-informed view of the entire picture, and instead choose to make unintelligent comments and conclusions about a country they don't even live in. Also, Seaduck, this video alone sums up my views and answers your question, well part of it at least.

Because everything that is about 'freedom and democracy' is always right, and politics is so simple huh?



Found the CCP troll.

a) Your country is committing a literal holocaust. GTFOH with your "cultural differences". If that's your culture, yours doesn't deserve to exist.

b) Videos and pictures do speak a thousand words and there are thousands of videos and pictures showing your govt. funded stooges attacking protesters. Protesters are fighting back, absolutely, but so did Jews and occupied countries against the Nazis. I'm sure you would have looked down on them too.

Ethnic cleansing of Uyghurs, organ harvesting, re-education camps, no freedom to argue against the govt. It's a dystopian hellscape. There is no defending it. There's a reason Russia and China are North Korea's only allies. Y'all arent' that dissimilar. Nothing against the Chinese, just your govt. Straight up evil.

Free Hong Kong.


Nice try Bud. Come back to me later when you can explain how your corrupted country has the moral high ground when you have invaded, pillaged and destroyed whole countries, from wiping Iraq off the face of the Earth, to reducing Syria to literal rubble and causing Libya to cease to exist as a country, displacing millions of people in the Middle East because your country has a hard-on for oil and war. :)

Before you start criticizing us based on your own ignorant interpretation of biased news coverage, why don't you fix your own mess first, and the other countries you have destroyed in the name of freedom and democracy?

Oh hey by the way, you guys committed the first 'Holocaust' when you exterminated the Native Americans in the name of 'civilization'. Read up on your country's history first cretin, that'd be a start :)
NBAFan93
RealGM
Posts: 16,477
And1: 11,863
Joined: Dec 04, 2016

Re: China and the NBA / Ongoing discussion (day 6)... 

Post#351 » by NBAFan93 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:32 pm

GREY 1769 wrote:
fbalmeida wrote:
scrabbarista wrote:
Man, I sympathize with the sentiment so much. I have to nitpick that NBA arenas aren't really "the public square," though. I don't think he/owners should be obligated to allow such statements within their arenas. I would just expect them to treat all political statements equally, so as to make it about the in-arena product and not the preservation of communist approval.

You're right about everything else. Self-censorship looks like the order of the day, and it should be crushed just like you say.

What's up with blocking reporters? I haven't heard about that yet.


This happened... This deserves everyone's attention. As China opens up to the world, we should welcome its trade, culture, and people, and with it, foster prosperity of all kinds. But why on earth must it come at the expense of an acritical and agnostic position - or worse- outright self-censorship - on the Chinese government and its foreign policy?

**** that.

Read on Twitter


fbalmeida wrote:
Spoiler:
xxSnEaKyPxx wrote:So do you think the NBA should be forced to answer questions that would harm their business?


Reporters should be free to ask questions, however inconvenient they may be. Freedom to ask, and freedom to respond, or withhold reply. Here the NBA preempted the question from happening.


Except that wasn't NBA official, but a Rockets PR rep - a team with an owner, GM, and player in the thick of it, so the NBA hasn't silenced anyone:
Read on Twitter


They should have just had Westbrook say “next question” to the CNN reporter - not like he’s never refused to answer a question before. Lol. It’s kind of crazy he’s involved in this media storm - he thought he didn’t like Barry Trammel’s questions, stuff is big time now.
cl2117
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,536
And1: 3,675
Joined: Jun 14, 2013
 

Re: China and the NBA / Ongoing discussion (day 6)... 

Post#352 » by cl2117 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:37 pm

Czarking wrote:Nice try Bud. Come back to me later when you can explain how your corrupted country has the moral high ground when you have invaded, pillaged and destroyed whole countries, from wiping Iraq off the face of the Earth, to reducing Syria to literal rubble and causing Libya to cease to exist as a country, displacing millions of people in the Middle East because your country has a hard-on for oil and war. :)

Before you start criticizing us based on your own ignorant interpretation of biased news coverage, why don't you fix your own mess first, and the other countries you have destroyed in the name of freedom and democracy?

Ah yes the "America sucks too", so let me continue my holocaust in peace defense.

You're incorrectly assuming that a) I disagree with you on the fact that America has totally and brutally destroyed part of the middle East (along with large swaths of the South/Central Americas, Africa, Native Americans, plus the climate, slavery etc.) and b) that because of that I can't cast judgement on your government's horrific crimes against humanity. You are wrong on both accounts.

See what I did there. I acknowledged that my country has done horrible, horrible things and I also pointed out yours. Feel free to do the same.

Again, it's not the people, it's the govt. There is hope for America because at the very least the people control the govt. (albeit terribly a lot of the time). Stop trying to defend your oppressive regime (although feel free to continue to point a finger at others as well, but you gotta do both pal or you're a CCP troll).
UHar_Vinnie wrote:If you don't lean forward while hugging a dude, you are gonna have a wiener touching incident. You know this.
Coachcavplaya23
Senior
Posts: 662
And1: 523
Joined: Aug 17, 2015
     

Re: China and the NBA / Ongoing discussion (day 6)... 

Post#353 » by Coachcavplaya23 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:41 pm

Czarking wrote:
Coachcavplaya23 wrote:
Czarking wrote:
As a Chinese person from Hong Kong, I did find Morey's comment irresponsible, ignorant and highly misinformed. I can also tell you that most Chinese fans and people in China are united in our support of the Chinese government's tough stance towards the NBA.

My wife and I share the opinion that the Chinese government's reaction to Morey's remarks, while a bit extreme, is also understandable. We side with the Chinese government because his comments add fuel to a crisis that is already hurting our country and city's social stability.

I love my country. So to hear people making ill-informed and deeply ignorant remarks about my city's internal affairs does bother me, as it does to a lot of people in China.

Don't forget, the NBA profits from the jerseys we buy, the subscription fee we pay to watch NBA games, and the exhibition matches we attend. It's not cheap either.

So if you're earning our country's hard earned cash, I reckon it's only fair you respect our culture, values, people by refraining from making ignorant and senseless remarks.

Just because it's okay in your culture, doesn't mean it's okay in mine.

Do you even know the first thing about what is actually happening in HK? Or are you just getting your information and making snap judgements based on garbage news sources such as the Clinton News Network (CNN) and Trump TV (Fox)? I do. And I can tell you it's nothing like what is being portrayed in the propaganda machine that is the Western media.

Freedom of speech doesn't mean you can say whatever you want without inhibition or respect for cultural norms. If that were true, it would mean I am free to make racial slurs against people of colour. Why not? That's my right to free speech no?

Sent from my SM-C9000 using RealGM mobile app


Honestly you think China's reactions is a just a "bit extreme"? It is more like the biggest overreaction this planet has ever witnessed. They are throwing the biggest temper tantrum. Someone tweeted from another country then go ahead and suspend all Rocket's games, people are cancelling subscriptions and suspending ties to the NBA. No offense but China needs to calm the **** down here and stop overreacting because it got its feeling hurt over a simple tweet.

You are talking about China's culture and values when its government is attacking people with tear gas, beating people and arresting people on a daily basis in HK. That country and the culture you love so much needs a wake up call buddy. Your goverrment and its people are soft as hell. You may not like it but China is in the wrong here and the entire world knows it.


Buddy, did you just say that the government is attacking people with tear gas, beating people and arresting people on a daily basis? Typical 'Murica' BS, and as usual, Americans telling people in Asia how to run their own society.

This just goes to show how grossly misinformed you are about what is actually happening on the ground. You need to change your diet, and stop consuming the laxative-laced crap and literal verbal diarrhea that CNN, Fox News or ABC is feeding you.

Videos and pictures speak a thousand words. This video was independently developed by a simple group of people who love our city and country. No State-run media, no biased news agencies as you so claim, just cold hard facts.

I won't say anymore on this matter, because it's pointless to explain the situation with people who don't even bother to review credible sources of information to create a fully well-informed view of the entire picture, and instead choose to make unintelligent comments and conclusions about a country they don't even live in. Also, Seaduck, this video alone sums up my views and answers your question, well part of it at least.

Because everything that is about 'freedom and democracy' is always right, and politics is so simple huh?



Misinformed? The Chinese government literally censors everything you **** moron. You do really believe they will show you what is going on? no. I saw an article that literally requires Chinese people to use facial recognition to use the internet. China sensored Taiwans flag. They ordered Apple to stop an app that locates the HK police. They literally just censored all Rocket games. It sounds like China wants to control everything. Blizzard banned a player for supporting HK. I wonder where that came from??

You may also want to review that evidence as well. China is censoring crap about HK mainly back to its people who are clearly stupid as **** if they get this offended. At least our government allows us to have freedom of press and isnt so anal about a single tweet.

Sorry buddy but you clearly need to stop sucking China's dick so hard.



Warned
No personal attacks please. Thank you
Jim Naismith
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,347
And1: 1,802
Joined: Apr 17, 2013

Re: China and the NBA / Ongoing discussion (day 6)... 

Post#354 » by Jim Naismith » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:41 pm

A True Story

There was a person in Hong Kong who uncovered how his government systematically violated the rights of its citizens.

The government sent out an order for his arrest and tried to hunt him down.

He managed to escape.

You might've heard of him.











The man's name is Edward Snowden and the country trying to silence him was the USA.
User avatar
JayMKE
RealGM
Posts: 18,816
And1: 5,854
Joined: Jun 21, 2010
Location: MI
     

Re: China and the NBA / Ongoing discussion (day 6)... 

Post#355 » by JayMKE » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:42 pm

It seems like this has evolved into a much bigger thing than just some tweet from the Daryl Morey, it's a full blown international incident that's impossible to divorce from politics. From a basketball and sports perspective in general I can sympathize with the point of view that sports should be some something separate and a means of bridging the divide, I don't think athletes most of the time have a voice needed heard but that's not the world we live in where everybody has a voice online. For all the good and bad America is a free country that allows free expression, Adam Silver has been outspoken in his support of activism for progressive causes which is all great but it shows how shallow it's commitment to the values when they kowtow from the slightest pressure from the CCP.

It's embarrassing as a fan to see the NBA on its knees apologizing to the Chinese Communist Party, it exposes a lot about what the actual values are of the people who run this league. Money is all the matters to them and their empathy is all profit driven in motive. I think it also says a lot about how insecure the Chinese government is for them to respond so harshly to something that would have gotten way less attention had they not brought more to it. I believe in human rights, I believe in democracy, I believe in self determination, are these threatening things to the CCP? Shame on the league for becoming beholden to these people.
FREE GIANNIS
Czarking
Ballboy
Posts: 15
And1: 5
Joined: Mar 26, 2019

Re: China and the NBA / Ongoing discussion (day 6)... 

Post#356 » by Czarking » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:44 pm

AZNKidd wrote:
Czarking wrote:
cl2117 wrote:
Found the CCP troll.

a) Your country is committing a literal holocaust. GTFOH with your "cultural differences". If that's your culture, yours doesn't deserve to exist.

b) Videos and pictures do speak a thousand words and there are thousands of videos and pictures showing your govt. funded stooges attacking protesters. Protesters are fighting back, absolutely, but so did Jews and occupied countries against the Nazis. I'm sure you would have looked down on them too.

Ethnic cleansing of Uyghurs, organ harvesting, re-education camps, no freedom to argue against the govt. It's a dystopian hellscape. There is no defending it. There's a reason Russia and China are North Korea's only allies. Y'all arent' that dissimilar. Nothing against the Chinese, just your govt. Straight up evil.

Free Hong Kong.


Nice try Bud. Come back to me later when you can explain how your corrupted country has the moral high ground when you have invaded, pillaged and destroyed whole countries, from wiping Iraq off the face of the Earth, to reducing Syria to literal rubble and causing Libya to cease to exist as a country, displacing millions of people in the Middle East because your country has a hard-on for oil and war. :)

Before you start criticizing us based on your own ignorant interpretation of biased news coverage, why don't you fix your own mess first, and the other countries you have destroyed in the name of freedom and democracy?


Whataboutism, “bud”.


Whataboutism is really just a fancy word for saying 'I-can't-come-up-with-a-sound-argument-to defend-my-country's-heinous-crimes-so-I'll-just-find-a-clever-sounding-word-to-retort-as-my-get-out-of-jail-free-card'. :)
madmaxmedia
Head Coach
Posts: 6,702
And1: 2,037
Joined: Jun 22, 2001
Location: SoCal

Re: China and the NBA / Ongoing discussion (day 6)... 

Post#357 » by madmaxmedia » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:47 pm

Czarking wrote:
cl2117 wrote:
Czarking wrote:
Buddy, did you just say that the government is attacking people with tear gas, beating people and arresting people on a daily basis? Typical 'Murica' BS, and as usual, Americans telling people in Asia how to run their own society.

This just goes to show how grossly misinformed you are about what is actually happening on the ground. You need to change your diet, and stop consuming the laxative-laced crap and literal verbal diarrhea that CNN, Fox News or ABC is feeding you.

Videos and pictures speak a thousand words. This video was independently developed by a simple group of people who love our city and country. No State-run media, no biased news agencies as you so claim, just cold hard facts.

I won't say anymore on this matter, because it's pointless to explain the situation with people who don't even bother to review credible sources of information to create a fully well-informed view of the entire picture, and instead choose to make unintelligent comments and conclusions about a country they don't even live in. Also, Seaduck, this video alone sums up my views and answers your question, well part of it at least.

Because everything that is about 'freedom and democracy' is always right, and politics is so simple huh?



Found the CCP troll.

a) Your country is committing a literal holocaust. GTFOH with your "cultural differences". If that's your culture, yours doesn't deserve to exist.

b) Videos and pictures do speak a thousand words and there are thousands of videos and pictures showing your govt. funded stooges attacking protesters. Protesters are fighting back, absolutely, but so did Jews and occupied countries against the Nazis. I'm sure you would have looked down on them too.

Ethnic cleansing of Uyghurs, organ harvesting, re-education camps, no freedom to argue against the govt. It's a dystopian hellscape. There is no defending it. There's a reason Russia and China are North Korea's only allies. Y'all arent' that dissimilar. Nothing against the Chinese, just your govt. Straight up evil.

Free Hong Kong.


Nice try Bud. Come back to me later when you can explain how your corrupted country has the moral high ground when you have invaded, pillaged and destroyed whole countries, from wiping Iraq off the face of the Earth, to reducing Syria to literal rubble and causing Libya to cease to exist as a country, displacing millions of people in the Middle East because your country has a hard-on for oil and war. :)

Before you start criticizing us based on your own ignorant interpretation of biased news coverage, why don't you fix your own mess first, and the other countries you have destroyed in the name of freedom and democracy?


The biggest difference is that most of us welcome such discussions, and don't advocate knee-jerk reactions to shut them off. I am not butthurt about your post describing American atrocities, but you seem to be when it's the other way.

Open discourse and peaceful protest is a fundamental concept in the United States (our current administration notwithstanding), if you disagree with that then that's fine. I won't be particularly bothered if the Chinese government boots the NBA out of the country, that is their prerogative of course.

This whole issue has become about a lot more than just the Hong Kong protests, or even the Chinese government as a whole. I don't really consider it my position to 'educate' a Chinese citizen about their government, but I don't think there is anything wrong with Daryl Morey expressing his personal opinion in a tweet, nor in the NBA's public stance in not censoring those within the NBA (what is happening behind the scenes is another issue :roll: )
User avatar
fbalmeida
Senior
Posts: 714
And1: 694
Joined: Jul 03, 2019
Location: Braga, Portugal
Contact:
         

Re: China and the NBA / Ongoing discussion (day 6)... 

Post#358 » by fbalmeida » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:48 pm

GREY 1769 wrote:
fbalmeida wrote:
scrabbarista wrote:
Man, I sympathize with the sentiment so much. I have to nitpick that NBA arenas aren't really "the public square," though. I don't think he/owners should be obligated to allow such statements within their arenas. I would just expect them to treat all political statements equally, so as to make it about the in-arena product and not the preservation of communist approval.

You're right about everything else. Self-censorship looks like the order of the day, and it should be crushed just like you say.

What's up with blocking reporters? I haven't heard about that yet.


This happened... This deserves everyone's attention. As China opens up to the world, we should welcome its trade, culture, and people, and with it, foster prosperity of all kinds. But why on earth must it come at the expense of an acritical and agnostic position - or worse- outright self-censorship - on the Chinese government and its foreign policy?

**** that.

Read on Twitter


fbalmeida wrote:
Spoiler:
xxSnEaKyPxx wrote:So do you think the NBA should be forced to answer questions that would harm their business?


Reporters should be free to ask questions, however inconvenient they may be. Freedom to ask, and freedom to respond, or withhold reply. Here the NBA preempted the question from happening.


Except that wasn't NBA official, but a Rockets PR rep - a team with an owner, GM, and player in the thick of it, so the NBA hasn't silenced anyone:
Read on Twitter


Fair enough. The Rocket's front office has.
Image
cl2117
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,536
And1: 3,675
Joined: Jun 14, 2013
 

Re: China and the NBA / Ongoing discussion (day 6)... 

Post#359 » by cl2117 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:49 pm

Czarking wrote:
AZNKidd wrote:
Czarking wrote:
Nice try Bud. Come back to me later when you can explain how your corrupted country has the moral high ground when you have invaded, pillaged and destroyed whole countries, from wiping Iraq off the face of the Earth, to reducing Syria to literal rubble and causing Libya to cease to exist as a country, displacing millions of people in the Middle East because your country has a hard-on for oil and war. :)

Before you start criticizing us based on your own ignorant interpretation of biased news coverage, why don't you fix your own mess first, and the other countries you have destroyed in the name of freedom and democracy?


Whataboutism, “bud”.


Whataboutism is really just a fancy word for saying 'I-can't-come-up-with-a-sound-argument-to defend-my-country's-heinous-crimes-so-I'll-just-find-a-clever-sounding-word-to-retort-as-my-get-out-of-jail-free-card'. :)

You do realize that describes you right? Like seriously. I can't excuse China's behaviour so I will just talk about America's.

It's ok not to be able to defend your country's heinous crimes. You should stop trying to do so.
UHar_Vinnie wrote:If you don't lean forward while hugging a dude, you are gonna have a wiener touching incident. You know this.
AZNKidd
Freshman
Posts: 77
And1: 45
Joined: Dec 29, 2016
 

Re: China and the NBA / Ongoing discussion (day 6)... 

Post#360 » by AZNKidd » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:50 pm

Czarking wrote:
AZNKidd wrote:
Czarking wrote:
Nice try Bud. Come back to me later when you can explain how your corrupted country has the moral high ground when you have invaded, pillaged and destroyed whole countries, from wiping Iraq off the face of the Earth, to reducing Syria to literal rubble and causing Libya to cease to exist as a country, displacing millions of people in the Middle East because your country has a hard-on for oil and war. :)

Before you start criticizing us based on your own ignorant interpretation of biased news coverage, why don't you fix your own mess first, and the other countries you have destroyed in the name of freedom and democracy?


Whataboutism, “bud”.


Whataboutism is really just a fancy word for saying 'I-can't-come-up-with-a-sound-argument-to defend-my-country's-heinous-crimes-so-I'll-just-find-a-clever-sounding-word-to-retort-as-my-get-out-of-jail-free-card'. :)


It’s a logical fallacy and you just made a straw man argument. I mean...kind of expected coming from a CCP 50 cent troll.

Return to The General Board