Teams are prepping scenarios where the cap is 10-15% lower due to the NBA situation with China

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM
And1: 41,289

Re: Teams are prepping scenarios where the cap is 10-15% lower due to the NBA situation with China 

Post#21 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:45 am

I want to live in a world where the fall of China's communism comes about because they banned the NBA and their populace rebelled because of it.
scrabbarista
RealGM
And1: 13,703

Re: Teams are prepping scenarios where the cap is 10-15% lower due to the NBA situation with China 

Post#22 » by scrabbarista » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:45 am

azcatz11 wrote:Can someone explain to me in like 2 sentences why China cares about a Morey tweet and why this has turned into such a cluster?

The government is controlled by a single party. This party holds itself up, within China, as the highest authority in the universe (no joke), and any challenge to its authority is seen as, literally, an existential threat.
The man who sleeps on the bed can never fall out of the floor... Winnie the Pooh
scrabbarista
RealGM

Post#23 » by scrabbarista » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:49 am

oceanlife wrote:
MadDogSHWA wrote:OK so lets assume the Chinese GOV is upset with the NBA. How exactly does that translate to financial losses? Have the games been banned there?

Cap is based on collective income. If China restricts the NBA's access, which lead to lower income, then based on the current CBA the cap would decline. Teams would then need to lower salaries on new contracts accordingly.

After decades of growth the US Basketball Market is fairly saturated, there's not much the NBA can do domestically, so to grow their income they need to go international. China is the easiest money at the moment. Huge population with disposable income. If the NBA plays their cards right in China the NBA can double their income by the end of the next decade. Means next generation LeBron makes 60+ million a year. Role players making $15 million. Big time $$.

The NBA wants other regions, but Indian and Africa but they are much poorer than China at the moment. Europe is a tough nut to crack since they already have their own leagues. China is the big opportunity right now. China's only requirement is for the NBA to stay silent while the communist government steals western intellectual property, imprisons its citizens, and continues to recolonize Africa. Small price to pay for a few bucks right.

Add at least another fifty things to the bolded list, and you nailed it perfectly.
The man who sleeps on the bed can never fall out of the floor... Winnie the Pooh
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 26,481

Post#24 » by azcatz11 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:50 am

oceanlife wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:Can someone explain to me in like 2 sentences why China cares about a Morey tweet and why this has turned into such a cluster?

China is testing the western world's resolve like the Velociraptors in Jurassic Park tested their cage. If they can get the Rockets to shut Morey up then it sends a clear message to all other businesses to stay in line and not cross China.

It's not just Morey's tweet, China is censoring western movies, influencing the news we watch, and even manipulating opinions on social media social media (China is investing hundreds of millions into Reddit). It's a big deal.

Thanks man.

-Signed
Ignorant American
scrabbarista
RealGM

Post#25 » by scrabbarista » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:51 am

spikeslovechild wrote:
clyde21 wrote:of course the first thing they do is cut wages

Keep hunting those And1's.

There is a cost and revenue is split this is how it works but the league should have never accepted Chinese blood money in the first place. How can you speak of things like police brutality and social justice while taking money from a country that literally engages in slave labor and imports workers from North Korea?

How do you accept money from a regime that kills and brutalizes it's own people and causes dissidents to disappear? If Kerr, Popovich, Lebron and Curry continue to remain silent on these issues they've lost the moral authority to speak about social justice not that these multimillionaires had much to begin with.

Yeah. I'd And1 you (spike), except I never took any of those people seriously anyway. It always looked like pretty transparent opportunism to me. Who knows, though, maybe one of them will surprise us.

EDIT: I want to soften my tone here. I wasn't trying to accuse anyone of blatant pandering, pure hypocrisy, or even insincerity. I just meant that it's been pretty clear where their self-interests lie, and until they're seen to contradict those self-interests for their principles, you'll have to pardon me if I retain a certain level of skepticism.
I'm particularly lenient to the players. Expecting most of those guys to be deeply aware of the history and activities of the CCP is probably a stretch. I just watched Curry's comments. He said, "To be honest, I've always had a great time in China." And you know what? I lived there for 13 months (about ten years ago) and had a pretty great time myself. So I can't hate on that. But now I know too much. My hope is that, the more these guys learn about what really goes on in that country, the more courageous they'll be in speaking up for what's right, no matter what it means to their bottom line, their travel itineraries (banned from entering China), or their security bills (death threats like the one this Chinese guy made toward Morey)

TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#26 » by TheNewEra » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:54 am

Wonder if agents are pushing free agents for next summer to sign a extension now rather than hit the market with a dip ?
kuclas
General Manager
And1: 3,905

Post#27 » by kuclas » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:54 am

It’s always about the money. NBA stands to lose too much from China. Don’t want to get too political on these boards. But the USA doesn’t want to mess with China in general. And why they don’t go bomb North Korea cause that would upset the Chinese.

I think China wants nba/rockets to fire Morey. That’s the Chinese end game here.
scrabbarista
RealGM

Post#28 » by scrabbarista » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:58 am

NoDopeOnSundays wrote:I want to live in a world where the fall of China's communism comes about because they banned the NBA and their populace rebelled because of it.

Lol. It won't look like that, but the phrase "the straw that broke the camel's back" exists for a reason.
Showdown
Sixth Man
And1: 1,102

Post#29 » by Showdown » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:00 am

NBAFan93 wrote:
bisme37 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
And in theory salaries across the board could be lowered to make up for losses, but that's something the NBA hasn't had to do because so far just holding back a % of the salary has been sufficient to make up for any slop in the final numbers.

So, short of digging in to the CBA, I guess we'll have to see ...

You can't change a contract value because you suddenly don't want to pay the contracted amount. It's signed and legally binding. So I don't think that theory is valid.

Many contracts are based on a % of the cap. Those ones would easily go down. I’m not sure about contracts for less than the max - if the people who drew them up were smart though there would be language that accounts for a signifiant decrease in the cap - and don’t think any guy can make more than the max (which is a percentage of the cap) regardless.

Only max contracts, MLE and BAE are tied to cap percentage
scrabbarista
RealGM

Post#30 » by scrabbarista » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:05 am

kuclas wrote:It’s always about the money. NBA stands to lose too much from China. Don’t want to get too political on these boards. But the USA doesn’t want to mess with China in general. And why they don’t go bomb North Korea cause that would upset the Chinese.

I think China wants nba/rockets to fire Morey. That’s the Chinese end game here.

1000% that is the end game. The question is what happens from here. That's why I've said, over and over, regardless of what Silver says, Morey's employment status over the next 18 months will show, more than anything, how he really feels.

I say that with the caveat that other developments could change the situation. For example, Silver might find something else to placate the Chinese officials who are so upset. Or any number of other unforeseen things might happen.

The really amazing thing is that China has basically demanded Morey's head, and Silver has stood by him (so far). The cynic in me thinks this is because the NBA has painted itself into a corner with all of its recent touting of human rights and championing of players' right to speak out on political issues. Or because it knows that when Ted Cruz and Beto O'Rourke are in perfect agreement on an issue, it's probably not going to go over well in America to take the opposite position. But the idealist in me is doing cartwheels!
xxSnEaKyPxx
RealGM
And1: 15,323

Post#31 » by xxSnEaKyPxx » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:05 am

The NBA hasn't cut anything yet.

This is simply teams recognizing when less money is coming in, there is less money to give out. They are getting prepared in case the salary cap is lowered. Any reasonable team would prepare for a worst case scenario and be ready, instead of being caught with their pants down.
BNM
Analyst
And1: 4,198

Post#32 » by BNM » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:07 am

NoDopeOnSundays wrote:I want to live in a world where the fall of China's communism comes about because they banned the NBA and their populace rebelled because of it.

If that happens, Daryl Morey will go down in history as the ultimate social justice warrior, the man who started a revolution in 40 characters. Every major city will have a Daryl Morey Blvd. and future generations will get a day of work to celebrate Daryl Morey Day. Maybe we can finally get rid of Columbus Day and designate the first Monday in October as Daryl Morey Day.
Showdown
Sixth Man
And1: 1,102

Post#33 » by Showdown » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:11 am

Does this means that all teams will be over the cap
scrabbarista
RealGM

Post#34 » by scrabbarista » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:14 am

BNM wrote:

If that happens, Daryl Morey will go down in history as the ultimate social justice warrior, the man who started a revolution in 40 characters. Every major city will have a Daryl Morey Blvd. and future generations will get a day of work to celebrate Daryl Morey Day. Maybe we can finally get rid of Columbus Day and designate the first Monday in October as Daryl Morey Day.

I want this face on my money.

BNM
Analyst
And1: 4,198

Post#35 » by BNM » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:16 am

Were you equally outraged in 2016 when the new TV deal kicked in and player salaries instantaneously exploded that summer?

In both cases, the salary cap is directly tied to BRI (basketball related income). Income goes up, salaries go up by a proportional amount. Income goes down, so do salaries. It's probably THE most easily understood part of the NBA Collective Bargaining Agreement.
MemphisX
Analyst
And1: 3,579

Post#36 » by MemphisX » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:43 am

Imagine a player lose millions because of Morey
Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g
Blazers-1977
Veteran
And1: 643

Post#37 » by Blazers-1977 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:48 am

kuclas wrote:It’s always about the money. NBA stands to lose too much from China. Don’t want to get too political on these boards. But the USA doesn’t want to mess with China in general. And why they don’t go bomb North Korea cause that would upset the Chinese.

Thankfully their now is too much political pressure in a bipartisan manner that the NBA won’t be able to cave to the Chinese .

Also I am sure this has been happening to countless other businesses as well but because they aren’t as famous as the NBA it doesn’t get press but now this issue will get press .
nomansland
Head Coach
And1: 4,615

Post#38 » by nomansland » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:54 am

MemphisX wrote:Imagine a player lose millions because of Morey

There are players out there who turned down extensions this summer because they think they're worth more. Wonder if they're thinking about this right now.
Pennebaker
Head Coach
And1: 5,577

Post#39 » by Pennebaker » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:58 am

One tweet caused all of this.
durden_tyler
RealGM
And1: 6,698

Post#40 » by durden_tyler » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:02 am

So there is a chance that the NBA grows a spine and stands up against China?!

Go NBA, i think you are still the most progressive league out there, now you just need a leader (Maybe LeBron) to push Silver to do the right thing.
If there is no basketball in heaven, i am not going.

Return to The General Board