The "Golden Generation" of your City/State/Country? For L.A. its now

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

JN61
RealGM
And1: 9,019

Re: The "Golden Generation" of your City/State/Country? For L.A. its now 

Post#61 » by JN61 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:43 am

levon wrote:LA is the mecca of basketball

And been for like 50 years. It would be silly to say anything else.
Pennebaker wrote:And Bird did it while being a defensive liability. But he also made All-Defensive teams, which was another controversial issue regarding Bird and votes.
50CalClips
Rookie
And1: 323

Post#62 » by 50CalClips » Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:02 am

The current Chicago guys believe it's their time now... Chicago's "Golden Generation" is now...

nikster
RealGM
And1: 11,812

Post#63 » by nikster » Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:12 am

For Canada the golden age is right now. Most NBA players in the league outside of the US, most we've had in history.

Now we just need them to come out for national competition
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM
And1: 41,025

Post#64 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:42 am

Klay grew up in Oregon.
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,298

Post#65 » by Dr Aki » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:04 am

I wish there were NA Interstate tournaments the same way there's EuroBasket
50CalClips
Rookie

Post#66 » by 50CalClips » Thu Dec 5, 2019 12:35 am

When was New York's "Golden Generation"?
And why has it fallen off?
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 26,228

Post#67 » by azcatz11 » Thu Dec 5, 2019 12:51 am

So is Riverside part of LA or not? Read the whole thread and still confused
AdagioPace
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,137

Post#68 » by AdagioPace » Thu Dec 5, 2019 12:57 am

azcatz11 wrote:So is Riverside part of LA or not? Read the whole thread and still confused

Riverside has a county of his own but it's also part of the "Greater Los Angeles Area". the extention of this area is up for debate. The people who live there would probably be able to give us the truest answer (I'm not american, but I'm interested in geography so this thing got me hooked)
"La natura gode della natura; la natura trionfa sulla natura; la natura domina la natura" - Ostanes
50CalClips
Rookie

Post#69 » by 50CalClips » Thu Dec 5, 2019 1:02 am

azcatz11 wrote:So is Riverside part of LA or not? Read the whole thread and still confused

Is Broward County part of "Miami"...?
DirtybirdGA
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,863

Post#70 » by DirtybirdGA » Thu Dec 5, 2019 1:07 am

There's not even a bronze generation this way.
Where the offseason has more buzz happens.
ThumbsUpBaby
Head Coach
And1: 10,824

Post#72 » by ThumbsUpBaby » Thu Dec 5, 2019 1:25 am

Roy The Natural wrote:
50CalClips wrote:
NBAFan93 wrote:Huh? You mean LA born players who play for LA teams, or LA players in the league?

I mean isn’t Kawhi from San Diego and PG from an hour outside of LA?

I know Westbrook and Harden are literally from LA, but they play for the Rockets.

Born or Raised... "Home Town" players.

Kawhi attended San Diego State University, and lives there now, but he's from Compton/Moreno Valley (a suburb of L.A.)

As far as I know Riverside isn't part Los Angeles.

Kawhi was still born in L.A.
ThumbsUpBaby
Head Coach

Post#73 » by ThumbsUpBaby » Thu Dec 5, 2019 1:39 am

Edit: Site on mobile went crazy and the whole post turned into some triple post fest.

dorkestra wrote:
Roy The Natural wrote:
dorkestra wrote:
It's close enough, honestly. It's like people saying Wilmington Delaware isn't part of Philly metro, but really it is

It's not though. You don't just get to claim other county's as part of Los Angeles. Riverside is as much a suburb of Los Angeles as Orange County. In other words... It's not part of LA.

Orange County is a suburb of Los Angeles. County lines don't matter in this conversation. This is about metropolitan areas and their suburban expanse.

OC shouldn't even considered a suburb of L.A You ask some people from LA if Anaheim is apart of L.A, and they'll laugh at you. As far as OC goes, I just call it as it is... the OC. Yorba Linda is a suburbs of OC much like Compton is the suburbs of L.A. Never considered it a county based in LA. LA goes as far as the Cerritos area, although that area is pretty much in-between the OC and LA.

TheDoors24 wrote:
Roy The Natural wrote:
dorkestra wrote:
It's close enough, honestly. It's like people saying Wilmington Delaware isn't part of Philly metro, but really it is

It's not though. You don't just get to claim other county's as part of Los Angeles. Riverside is as much a suburb of Los Angeles as Orange County. In other words... It's not part of LA.

Lol. I get what your saying but honestly you say riverside and it’s pretty try much close enough to la that many outside just consider it la. Lol.

But if you live in the area yeah it’s about 30/50 minute drive depending where you live. But that’s a lot of places since it’s all so spread out.

I've always considered Riverside as Inland, never as a part of LA even if it's in the Greater LA area. I currently live 40 miles away from Riverside and I still consider just an Inland city.

50CalClips wrote:
Roy The Natural wrote:
50CalClips wrote:
And...
Arlington is not part of Dallas...
San Jose is not part of San Francisco...
Newark is not part of New York...
Broward County is not part of Miami...

Moreno Valley/Riverside Co. is a suburb of L.A. It's definitely part "So Cal" (the Greater L.A. area)

Besides all that, Kawhi was born in L.A.

San Diego isn't part of "the greater LA area." But it's definitely part of "So Cal." That's the problem with ever shifting definitions.

"So Cal" = the Greater L.A. area (it's not necessarily simply the southern half of the state)
San Diego is San Diego (I think you guys are "Low Cal,"for lower California, including Imperial Co.)

That's the first I've heard this.
San Diego is always a part of SoCal much like LA is. I've always categorized SoCal as LA, Inland, OC, and San Diego.
Roy The Natural
RealGM
And1: 5,421

Post#74 » by Roy The Natural » Thu Dec 5, 2019 2:02 am

ThumbsUpBaby wrote:Edit: Site on mobile went crazy and the whole post turned into some triple post fest.

dorkestra wrote:
Roy The Natural wrote:

Orange County is a suburb of Los Angeles. County lines don't matter in this conversation. This is about metropolitan areas and their suburban expanse.

OC shouldn't even considered a suburb of L.A You ask some people from LA if Anaheim is apart of L.A, and they'll laugh at you. As far as OC goes, I just call it as it is... the OC. Yorba Linda is a suburbs of OC much like Compton is the suburbs of L.A. Never considered it a county based in LA. LA goes as far as the Cerritos area, although that area is pretty much in-between the OC and LA.

TheDoors24 wrote:
Roy The Natural wrote:

Lol. I get what your saying but honestly you say riverside and it’s pretty try much close enough to la that many outside just consider it la. Lol.

But if you live in the area yeah it’s about 30/50 minute drive depending where you live. But that’s a lot of places since it’s all so spread out.

I've always considered Riverside as Inland, never as a part of LA even if it's in the Greater LA area. I currently live 40 miles away from Riverside and I still consider just an Inland city.

50CalClips wrote:
Roy The Natural wrote:
San Diego isn't part of "the greater LA area." But it's definitely part of "So Cal." That's the problem with ever shifting definitions.

"So Cal" = the Greater L.A. area (it's not necessarily simply the southern half of the state)
San Diego is San Diego (I think you guys are "Low Cal,"for lower California, including Imperial Co.)

San Diego is always a part of SoCal much like LA is. I've always categorized SoCal as LA, Inland, OC, and San Diego.

Born and raised in San Diego. Grew up in Alpine and Encinitas. Now live in Escondido. I've lived in San Diego for about 24 of my 30 years. Also spent time in Santa Barbara for about 3 years. I'm 100% with you on everything you just said.
lakerz12
Head Coach
And1: 8,896

Post#75 » by lakerz12 » Thu Dec 5, 2019 2:26 am

Roy The Natural wrote:
ThumbsUpBaby wrote:Edit: Site on mobile went crazy and the whole post turned into some triple post fest.

dorkestra wrote:

TheDoors24 wrote:

50CalClips wrote:

Born and raised in San Diego. Grew up in Alpine and Encinitas. Now live in Escondido. I've lived in San Diego for about 24 of my 30 years. Also spent time in Santa Barbara for about 3 years. I'm 100% with you on everything you just said.

Born and raised in Escondido. Went to college in South L.A. county. Lived in Huntington Beach and now in Solana Beach.

Fellow San Diegan checking in. Lol. 80% of my life has been in San Diego county. With the other 20% being in Orange County and L.A. county.

Lmao at 50CalClips saying SoCal = Greater L.A. area.

And saying San Diego is not part of Southern California :lol:

50CalClips sorry but where are you from?
Roy The Natural
RealGM
And1: 5,421

Post#76 » by Roy The Natural » Thu Dec 5, 2019 2:31 am

lakerz12 wrote:
Roy The Natural wrote:

Born and raised in Escondido. Went to college in South L.A. county. Lived in Huntington Beach and now in Solana Beach.

Fellow San Diegan checking in. Lol.

Where did you go to college? I went to UC Irvine. People in Orange County generally want nothing to do with Los Angeles. They generally seem content with the scenes in Newport and Santa Ana.
ThumbsUpBaby
Head Coach

Post#77 » by ThumbsUpBaby » Thu Dec 5, 2019 2:48 am

Roy The Natural wrote:
lakerz12 wrote:
Roy The Natural wrote:

Where did you go to college? I went to UC Irvine. People in Orange County generally want nothing to do with Los Angeles. They generally seem content with the scenes in Newport and Santa Ana.

Lived in LA my whole life (don't ask about my affiliation with the Celtics. I was a weird ass little kid). Never thought of the OC as the suburbs of LA.

I have friends who live in the OC all the way to Irvine, and they never consider themselves as a part of LA. The only people from the OC I know who considers themselves as a part of LA are people who live in Cypress, which is somewhat understandable. As far as the people I know from LA goes, they just call it as it is: the OC, Inland Empire, and then LA (ranging from Venice Beach, the valleys, down to the suburban cities like Cerritos, and nothing further from that).
lakerz12
Head Coach
And1: 8,896

Post#78 » by lakerz12 » Thu Dec 5, 2019 3:05 am

Roy The Natural wrote:
lakerz12 wrote:
Roy The Natural wrote:

BIOLA Uni. small school in La Mirada.. which I think is in South L.A. county.

UCI is a good school.

Yeah I don't think people in Orange County would consider themselves a suburb of L.A. :lol:

Return to The General Board